Low Carbs Meals

Lobwedgephil

Cross posting the griddle thread. Al pastor fried "rice". 

Al pastor pork, riced cauliflower, peas, garlic, onion, broccoli, sesame oil, some garlic herbed oil, salt pepper, few eggs, etc.

Maybe sub the peas out with some chopped zucchini if you want to lower the carb content further. 

69178-C0-B-165-C-4719-BEE9-EC3-D8-E63-F4

Edited by Anastasis

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I've been making this pan seared salmon with a creamy spinach sauce that rocks.  I don't have the nutritional breakdown, but the ingredients would make it relatively low carb.

spacer.png

Bumping, because I finally made this last night for my lady friend. Holy shit it was outstanding, super easy, and it got me laid.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Thought I would bump this thread for those eating low carb and looking for some ideas.  There are some good ideas on this other thread as well.  

I'm trying some au gratin turnips this evening with pork tenderloin.  I'll update with some pics and a review later.

As one who lives the keto lifestyle, I look forward to that. 

6 minutes ago, futureman said:

I’ve never been able to handle the keto lifestyle but I can white-knuckle it for several months at a time to drop some lbs.  which is what I am doing currently. bring on the recipes. 

3 years and counting. My metabolism totally sucks, because I'm old, so I really don't lose anything anymore, but it helps me maintain and I feel so much better. I don't really miss the carbs. Was totally non keto for about 10 days during the recent holidays and was glad to get back to it. It will take me a month or two to get back to where I was before I went off the wagon... see above about being old. It doesn't work for everyone, but I love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There are a bunch of recipes here.  I tried and liked the pecan crusted salmon; Mexican cauliflower rice; sheet pan chicken and vegetables; easy keto jambalaya; and the keto cheddar zucchini waffles.  None of the recipes are rocket science, it just helps to have different things to cook.  The salmon is straight forward and easy.  I like the quoted in post #156 better, but it is a little more time consuming.

• Hook 'Em 1

I made another batch of this this weekend, this is the 3rd time I've had it. I modify because for my taste it's too creamy (I cut the cream cheese by 1/3 and some of the sour cream or greek yogurt), but it's also designed as a dip, for which it's excellent as prescribed. But I triple the batch, and I'll either throw a few spoonfuls into a low carb tortilla, or I'll re-heat it in a bowl and mix in some lettuce strands if I want to add some crunch to it.

For a chicken wing craving, it really scratches the itch for me:

https://www.skinnytaste.com/lighter-buffalo-chicken-dip/

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I made another batch of this this weekend, this is the 3rd time I've had it. I modify because for my taste it's too creamy (I cut the cream cheese by 1/3 and some of the sour cream or greek yogurt), but it's also designed as a dip, for which it's excellent as prescribed. But I triple the batch, and I'll either throw a few spoonfuls into a low carb tortilla, or I'll re-heat it in a bowl and mix in some lettuce strands if I want to add some crunch to it.

This looks good. Do you use a slow cooker or the oven method?

Edited by Seasick Sailor

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

This looks good. Do you use a slow cooker or the oven method?

I've used both. The first time I did the slow cooker method without altering the recipe, and it was pretty incredible. The last two times I used the oven method (it's faster) and adjusted the recipe as I listed above, and it's still very good, but not as good as the slow cooker, imo. 

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now I know what I'm adding to my Super Bowl menu.  Thanks for posting.  Looks awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Just sent that to my wife via email and said fuck yeah make me this, bitch.

Ok I would never do that last part.

But she and I are hard keto since December 27.

Also we discovered keto chow shakes made with heavy cream.  It's on Amazon.

$80.00 per bag is pretty steep. How long does that last? 

They only had the giant bags of frozen riced cauliflower at the grocery store, so I'll be making all sorts of different versions coming up.

Yesterday did a cajun style, It was good. If you haven't had cauliflower rice before, don't let anyone tell you "it's just like regular rice." It's not; it's very different, but it's still good. Like veggie burgers can be good, but they're nothing like a real burger. If you try to tell me it is, I'll assume you're a fucking idiot.

Recipe; all amounts approximate; used what I had on hand:

• 1/4 cup Salt Pork
  • 1/2# Andouille
  • 3 Chicken thighs
  • 1/2# Shrimp
  • 1 Poblano
  • 2 stalks Celery
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 2 Green Onions
  • 1/2 Tomato
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Frozen Riced Cauliflower
  • 1 cup Chicken Stock
  • Thyme, Bay Leaves, Cayenne, black pepper

Diced the salt pork, rendered the fat, removed.

Put cauli rice in a sheet pan at 400 to dry it out a bit. (This was probably unnecessary)

Added Andouille and chicken to pan, browned it a little.

Added diced vegetables, softened.

Added riced cauli, chicken stock, spices, and a pinch of the browned salt pork.

Reduced the stock by about 1/2, added shrimp, served when the shrimp was done.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Made turkey burger patties yesterday.  Underwhelmed

Made Turkey patties last week that were awesome... I did them like Thai Tod Mun fish cakes, close to the recipe below. I left out the cornstarch and reduced the sugar to a teaspoon.

https://allwaysdelicious.com/thai-fish-cakes/#mv-creation-237-jtr

• Hook 'Em 1

In regards to sugar substitutes, I've had pretty good results so far with Erythritol, fwiw. Basically just up the sugar in a recipe by 1/3 for Erythritol, and you're good to go. Works really well, imo.

Also, for a sweet teeth, which I don't usually have, I discovered this stuff and man it's pretty good.  I'm not sure I totally buy that Sugar Alcohols don't count as carbs, but I don't eat enough for it to really matter:

853149008136.1_400x.jpg?v=1604017289

Other than leafy greens, what are some low carb/ low sugar vegetables? 

Regarding snacks, what are some low carb nuts and what are some low carb/low sugar fruits? 

Cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, celery, brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus, zucchini, and summer squash are my primaries.

I like sunflower seeds, pepitas, and pistachios for nuts/seeds.

For fruit, berries are about it for me.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding snacks, what are some low carb nuts and what are some low carb/low sugar fruits? 

As regards to nuts, pecans and macadamia nuts have the best fat to protein ratio with low carbs.  However, you really only want a cup of those, because grazing will cause you to get more carbs than you want.  Its good to remember that carb number for a serving doubles with every serving.

3 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Made Turkey patties last week that were awesome... I did them like Thai Tod Mun fish cakes, close to the recipe below. I left out the cornstarch and reduced the sugar to a teaspoon.

https://allwaysdelicious.com/thai-fish-cakes/#mv-creation-237-jtr

Thanks.  I think I'm going to put some chili on top to finish it off today.  Low carb at least

5 hours ago, Masshole Horn said:

Have you tried allulose?

It doesn’t give the “cool” feeling of erythritol.

I have salted caramel rebel in my freezer right now.

I haven't tried it, because I've never heard of it. Of course, the only reason I have heard of erythritol was because some fat fuck chef who made a keto cookbook mentioned it and I googled it. Sounds similar to erythritol, though. But I'm not sure what you mean by "cool feeling." 

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I know they're not the lowest in carbs, but I eat a fuck ton of Blue Diamond almonds, specifically either the salt & vinegar or pickle flavor, or the new "hot" flavors like carolina reaper, cayenne, and one other one whatever it's called. 

Honestly I've never been a fruit guy and I've pretty much used this diet as an excuse to never eat any of them, really. 

13 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

In regards to sugar substitutes, I've had pretty good results so far with Erythritol, fwiw. Basically just up the sugar in a recipe by 1/3 for Erythritol, and you're good to go. Works really well, imo.

Also, for a sweet teeth, which I don't usually have, I discovered this stuff and man it's pretty good.  I'm not sure I totally buy that Sugar Alcohols don't count as carbs, but I don't eat enough for it to really matter:

853149008136.1_400x.jpg?v=1604017289

Love Rebel, backed their kickstarter from the beginning. Halo has some keto bars, stuff like that also. Choc Zero is my goto if you want chocolate. 

I'm better off without all of the keto dessert alternatives.  Only way for me to get rid of sugar cravings is to cut out sweets (even fake sugar sweets). 

I sometimes make raspberry and blackberry ice cream - literally a handful of berries covered in heavy cream and stuck in the freezer for 10 minutes.  A dash of cinnamon or Chinese five spice powder.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife made this Natual Heaven white rice last night. Highly highly recommend. By far the best rice alternative I’ve tried. Haven’t tried any of their other stuff, but if it’s half as good as their white rice, I’m in. Available on Amazon.

https://eatnaturalheaven.com/collections/all?gclid=Cj0KCQiA9OiPBhCOARIsAI0y71DEtz4I0i1SAuvRmP2GFT5rVfAw7jeTl_FZE8mIVbgxrtIqKOu1M_waApV1EALw_wcB

7B6C9320-8D7A-40F5-B296-3491061F28EC.webp

Edited by Landomatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/23/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Back in the day, quesadillas were regularly used as a vehicle for leftovers (chicken, pork, brisket, shrimp, etc.).  Now I fried cauliflower rice is my go to.  A couple bags of cauliflower rice with vegs from the frozen foods section, garlic, ginger, egg, fake soy sauce and some random leftover protein.  Last night - beef ribs.

I made dirty/fried rice with cauliflower last night, but did it Mexican style.  Easily the best thing I've ever made since I got off carbs.  Sauteed diced onions/bell peppers/jalapenos + garlic in oil, added in the cauliflower rice and spices (cumin, garlic salt, cayenne, etc), and leftover taco meat.   Melted some colby jack on half to see if I liked it better that way.  Topped it off with Trader Joes creamy jalapeno sauce.  It was awesome and took all of ten minutes to make.

Sorry for the shitty pic- didn't realize it was in portrait:

keto-dirty-rice.jpg

Going to make a big pot of cabbage chili. 
I Loosely go off the recipe below, change out the beef for ground turkey if you want it super healthy

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups cabbage, chopped
  • 1 (15.5-ounce) can of Red Kidney Beans
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes
  • 2 Beef flavored bouillon cubes
  • Ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper to taste