Slot Mods

PittsburghTiger

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Aren't the slots more of a Yankee thing? Something to pass the time in the basement during the winters?

When I was a kid there were a bunch of places around where I grew up that you could go and race them. I'm not sure if it was just a Yankee thing. I do know for certain that they were fun.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

When I was a kid there were a bunch of places around where I grew up that you could go and race them. I'm not sure if it was just a Yankee thing. I do know for certain that they were fun.

Only people I know who grew up taking them seriously were guys from up north. We ha a track when I was a kid, came from Monkey Wards. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Between 1961 and 1966 – the golden age of slot cars – there were around 3,000 commercial slot tracks built in hobby shops and corner stores across the U.S., with an additional 200 in Europe. Kids could go to their local raceway and pay about $2.00 for an hour of racing on tracks that often filled the room with twists, turns, and as many as eight racing lanes. One company, American Model Car Raceways, even made a business traveling the country to build tracks. Their biggest, nicknamed “The Purple Mile,” was 220’ long.http://mentalfloss.com/article/27229/little-engines-could-brief-history-slot-cars