Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

I have been taking it a little easy since Ironman 70.3 due to some knee pain in left knee that I am certain is IT band issues and funny thing is now the right knee is the one doing the same thing. I did crank out 2.06 miles in 12 minutes last week. Last Friday I meet some people at the Y for a run and it was my first run with the group. It was supposed to be a nice 5 mile at an easy pace and I took off with a group of 4 guys in their early 30’s and we ended up doing 9 miles. I didn’t eat breakfast or drink anything before the run so I was suffering about mile 6 but I was keeping up with the leader and we dropped everyone else. I think they were trying to break me. We cranked a couple of 7:00 miles at the end and I was just hanging on. I weighed myself before and after run and I was over 5 pounds lighter. It was humid as fuck. 

• 1 month later...

2 weeks out from my first full distance   Ironman Maryland. Went last week to scope out the course. Jelly fish continue to be an issue on the swim.  Have had great training. This will be my first marathon ever so that’s fun. Also never rode a century before lol closest was 96 miles  longest run was 17 miles. Biggest lesson learned aside from nutrition. This will be the only full distance I do. 18-19 hours a week of training sucks. I miss surfing. I miss golf. I miss beer I miss life and 10 hours of training on the weekends just isn’t fun. 70.3s from here on out. I have no idea what to expect. I set a goal of under 14 hours with a stretch goal of sub13.  My coach thinks I’ll go sub12. I don’t lol   Taper time 

• Like 1

Anybody else running the Zilker Relays in Austin tonight?  It's a four person relay, 2.5 miles each leg, 10 miles total.  Some really fast people usually (sub-5 minute miles) and great people watching.  Takes place mostly on Lou Neff Road inside Zilker Park. Real Ale beer garden and Taco Deli post-race.  

On 9/9/2022 at 8:03 AM, Native Horn said:

Anybody else running the Zilker Relays in Austin tonight?  It's a four person relay, 2.5 miles each leg, 10 miles total.  Some really fast people usually (sub-5 minute miles) and great people watching.  Takes place mostly on Lou Neff Road inside Zilker Park. Real Ale beer garden and Taco Deli post-race.  

I ran it. I actually did two legs as part of different teams. I ran on a coed team that finished 3rd in our division and a master's men team that finished 1st in our division. I was really hoping to take home the coed crown, because that is a big and competitive division, but we were narrowly beat out by less than a minute for the top spot. 

It's one of my favorite events. Almost everyone in the local run community puts that race on their calendar, and it kind of kicks off fall racing season around here. The weather is typically the only downside as it's sweltering at 6:00 p.m. in early September. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Didn't realize there was a thread devoted to this.  I'm checking in here.

Ultimate goal is to build up to a 70.3.  Aiming for 2024.  I've been running the last few years and am doing my first half marathon in January.  Recently got a road bike (Trek) from a buddy at work and enjoy the riding portion.  Goal for 2023 will be to learn how to properly swim and complete my first olympic tri. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Completed my first full distance this weekend in Maryland.  Never rode a century. Never ran a marathon. It was an. Amazing life changing day.  Tons of jelly fish with around 40plus stings to my face. But we rocked and rolled to a 12:42 finish 1 hr and 18 faster than my goal. 

Awesome stuff. I am doing the 70.3 and the 140.6 next year in Chattanooga. I went down to watch a buddy in his 60’s do the 140.6 and the asshole did the swim in 45 minutes. That is just booking it. He was 2nd in his age group in swim and 4th in age group in bike but had to walk the marathon as he was nursing a calf injury. Just really amazing at that age to still finish in 13 hours. 

I am excited about the 70.3 next year as I now know what to do. I thought I had it whipped in my first attempt and was on pace for a 5:25 finish until mile 2 of run. I am not so excited about training for the 140.6 but I feel like it’s something I have to do. 

14 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Awesome stuff. I am doing the 70.3 and the 140.6 next year in Chattanooga. I went down to watch a buddy in his 60’s do the 140.6 and the asshole did the swim in 45 minutes. That is just booking it. He was 2nd in his age group in swim and 4th in age group in bike but had to walk the marathon as he was nursing a calf injury. Just really amazing at that age to still finish in 13 hours. 

I am excited about the 70.3 next year as I now know what to do. I thought I had it whipped in my first attempt and was on pace for a 5:25 finish until mile 2 of run. I am not so excited about training for the 140.6 but I feel like it’s something I have to do. 

I was looking at the flow rate of the river that day it was cranking. Tons of PRs that day in chatty.  I’m doing Clash Daytona dec 4th. To close out the year.  I’m doing Chatty 70.3 again in May and I signed up for IMPA 70.3 the newest race July 2 in state college. Run finish line is in beaver stadium. My grandparents and aunts live near by so hoping they can watch me race. 

I started running again in April, and worked my ass off for months to lose weight and get in shape.  I ran a Half Marathon in the heat of July in New Braunfels (2:01) and a second Half Marathon at the beginning of October in Australia (1:46).

And then I came home from that trip and had no more goals....

I probably was a bit physically and emotionally burnt out, but I just completely stopped working out and took a break from eating well and getting good sleep... In 2 and a half weeks that I've been back, I've gained back 22 pounds. 

It's some kind of personality flaw; I can't get motivated without a big challenge in front of me.   I don't seem to have sustaining mode...I either need to go hard at a new big challenge or do nothing. 

I'm not sure what to do next. I've done a couple marathons 15 years ago and that doesn't excite me.  More Half Marathons? There is some smaller motivation there. 

Has anyone done one of the trendy Obstacle races? (Spartan, Tough Mudder, etc)   Are they worth doing? 

A long triathlon sounds kind of fun, if I had a warm place to swim. The thought of swimming in the neighborhood pool in January sounds terrible. 

A long bike race would be something new...

I need to get something on the calendar soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/14/2022 at 10:27 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

I was looking at the flow rate of the river that day it was cranking. Tons of PRs that day in chatty.  I’m doing Clash Daytona dec 4th. To close out the year.  I’m doing Chatty 70.3 again in May and I signed up for IMPA 70.3 the newest race July 2 in state college. Run finish line is in beaver stadium. My grandparents and aunts live near by so hoping they can watch me race. 

Where do you do the swimming workouts?  An outside pool? Outside open water? A heated indoor pool? 

7 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Where do you do the swimming workouts?  An outside pool? Outside open water? A heated indoor pool? 

My base has an indoor pool thank god. So must of my work is there. I also live on the coast so I do open water swims to when I’m prescribed straight swims. Pool for prescribed workouts with rest. Open water for straight swims 

It's some kind of personality flaw; I can't get motivated without a big challenge in front of me.   I don't seem to have sustaining mode...I either need to go hard at a new big challenge or do nothing. 

Subscribed.

This is me as well. I can't just go for a run unless it's part of a training calendar.

My next half training cycle just restarted, but it's getting harder for me to get back into shape for it.

The motivation aspect is huge deal for many folks. Especially those in which the habit hasn’t been formed or a part of their life.   Myself. I played football for the better part of 25 years. Then transitioned to bodybuilding and most recently triathlon. Essentially I’ve been working out my entire life. So when there’s no racing or shows on the calendar. For me it was the fact that it’s been my life for decades. But also the fact that I’ve achieved a level of fitness that far exceeds my peer group and to lose that fitness would piss me off after all I’ve done to get here lol. Bottom line though it’s true. You need to have a why.  Be it a competition. A health scare. Being there for your kids when you’re old. To look good naked and bang chicks. Or dudes whatever you swing 

On 10/26/2022 at 12:58 PM, pearlandhorn said:

My first half marathon is this weekend.  Shooting for sub two hours but will be happy with 2:02.  Weather is supposed to be great in Houston: mid 50s at the start and slightly warming over the course of the day.  Super excited about it.

1:55:36. Very impressed with myself considering this is my first and I’ve never  run prior to Covid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 12:59 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

The motivation aspect is huge deal for many folks. Especially those in which the habit hasn’t been formed or a part of their life.   Myself. I played football for the better part of 25 years. Then transitioned to bodybuilding and most recently triathlon. Essentially I’ve been working out my entire life. So when there’s no racing or shows on the calendar. For me it was the fact that it’s been my life for decades. But also the fact that I’ve achieved a level of fitness that far exceeds my peer group and to lose that fitness would piss me off after all I’ve done to get here lol. Bottom line though it’s true. You need to have a why.  Be it a competition. A health scare. Being there for your kids when you’re old. To look good naked and bang chicks. Or dudes whatever you swing 

Yep. Played soccer through college and then stopped exercising until I was 37 and 230 pounds. Now I am about to be 42 with a 2 year old and 183 pounds. I want to be in shape for him plus I need a competition in my life. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 7:43 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Question for you guys that do triathlon. Do y’all have a tri suit or do you do tri shorts and a bike jersey? 

I’ve raced in a tri suit and in tri shorts/ tri top many times. I prefer the one piece, personally.

9 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

As I come closer and closer to signing up for my first full I have to ask how you did? Are you glad you did it? Was it worth it all?

It was fantastic. I’m very glad I did the full. If you have the time, I would encourage you to jump in. I’m starting to plan for the next one, though I’ll chose one closer to my home in MI. If you think you are only doing one, and can swing it, I would also recommend doing one of the vacation/ famous ones.

Cozumel is an unforgettable course! It’s hot, hot, hot though. Heat indexes in the upper 90s for most of the bike and run. But an amazing place to race!

Personally, I was pleased. The last 8 miles of the marathon were a slog, by then the heat had really taken its toll. But I didn’t care as I crossed the finish line and he called my name :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LOHorn said:

It was fantastic. I’m very glad I did the full. If you have the time, I would encourage you to jump in. I’m starting to plan for the next one, though I’ll chose one closer to my home in MI. If you think you are only doing one, and can swing it, I would also recommend doing one of the vacation/ famous ones.

Cozumel is an unforgettable course! It’s hot, hot, hot though. Heat indexes in the upper 90s for most of the bike and run. But an amazing place to race!

Personally, I was pleased. The last 8 miles of the marathon were a slog, by then the heat had really taken its toll. But I didn’t care as I crossed the finish line and he called my name :)

Excellent and thanks for responding. I did a 70.3 last year and leaning towards doing that and the 140.6 next year in my hometown of Chattanooga Tn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, LOHorn said:

Forgot to say that you should be very proud of yourself. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, Hefeweizen said:

You guys are badass.  Seriously impressive.

I just did a half marathon and it wrecked me.  2:40 and the last three miles I was cooked.  I regret nothing.  

I bet the next one you do will be under 2:20. The best time to sign up for a race is right after one. Vai !

The San Antonio Rock & Roll (half) marathon is this weekend. My mileage is down and my weight is up. I know I'll finish, but I also know I'm not going to be happy with my time.   You get out what you put in.  

I need to decide soon if I want to get refocused and run the Half at 3M and or Austin.    I've done both of those and running the same course again doesn't really excite me.   

There are a lot of half marathons in Texas this time of year.  Any recommendations for fun or quirky half marathon races?  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/30/2022 at 7:41 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

The San Antonio Rock & Roll (half) marathon is this weekend. My mileage is down and my weight is up. I know I'll finish, but I also know I'm not going to be happy with my time.   You get out what you put in.  

I need to decide soon if I want to get refocused and run the Half at 3M and or Austin.    I've done both of those and running the same course again doesn't really excite me.   

There are a lot of half marathons in Texas this time of year.  Any recommendations for fun or quirky half marathon races?  

Following. I was doing the Austin Distance Challenge, but a small injury (due to staring at sexy neighborhood moms) kept me out of the Run for the Water. Now I'm looking for a good half. I've done the Decker before and that's a boring-ass run. I'm planning on doing the 3M unless there's something better out there.

On 11/30/2022 at 7:41 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

The San Antonio R&R Half re-enforced what I already kind-of knew: San Antonio is not a pretty city. Yeah, the Riverwalk is well done, but man, most of the rest of the city is in need of a bulldozer and a clean start. 

• Haha 1

I did the Dallas half twice, and it’s a cool race.  Austin half is really fun, as is the Cap 10k.  I couldn’t bring myself to do San Antonio again.

I am going to do the Big Sur marathon but not until I’m in better shape.  If I can’t do it in 5 hours I’ll do the eleven miler, which is supposed to be pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

I did the Dallas half twice, and it’s a cool race.  Austin half is really fun, as is the Cap 10k.  I couldn’t bring myself to do San Antonio again.

I am going to do the Big Sur marathon but not until I’m in better shape.  If I can’t do it in 5 hours I’ll do the eleven miler, which is supposed to be pretty awesome.

Big Sur is probably the most scenic Marathon I'm aware of, but if the up-hills didn't kill me, the down-hills would grind my knees to powder. That is one hardcore course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I finished with 3:54 so met my sub-4:00 goal. Overall happy with that result but a tiny bit frustrated that I was on pace for a better finish and I struggled heavily in the last 5-6 miles. Here is my pace breakdown:

f7e64c035a1456dc61eb252dc7ae8353.jpg

There was a big elevation gain mile 20-22 so that took its toll on me and then I was just gassed afterward. In my previous marathon in February, I had a knee problem around mile 20 and similarly struggled down the home stretch, but I guess because my knee was bothering me, that pain superseded any feeling of hitting the wall from a physical exhaustion standpoint.

I felt like my training was reasonably good. Long runs were 13, 15, 17, 19, 11, 20, 13, and 11 miles in the 2 months leading up to the race. I wonder if I should work towards a 22-23 mile run at the peak of training? Most training plans seem to stop at about 20 miles.

I wonder a little bit about my nutrition and hydration. I eat whole grain pasta the night before, then a banana and a bagel with peanut butter the morning of, then I eat GU gels and drink Propel/Gatorade during the race. I think I had 5 gels yesterday, about mile 5, 10, 14, 20, 23. The 2nd/3rd ones didn’t go down super smooth so I got nervous about having more, but perhaps I should’ve forced them anyways. Normally I tolerate them just fine.

Open to any suggestions. I’ll probably give it another shot sometime next year and try to get 3:45.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I finished with 3:54 so met my sub-4:00 goal. Overall happy with that result but a tiny bit frustrated that I was on pace for a better finish and I struggled heavily in the last 5-6 miles. Here is my pace breakdown:

f7e64c035a1456dc61eb252dc7ae8353.jpg

There was a big elevation gain mile 20-22 so that took its toll on me and then I was just gassed afterward. In my previous marathon in February, I had a knee problem around mile 20 and similarly struggled down the home stretch, but I guess because my knee was bothering me, that pain superseded any feeling of hitting the wall from a physical exhaustion standpoint.

I felt like my training was reasonably good. Long runs were 13, 15, 17, 19, 11, 20, 13, and 11 miles in the 2 months leading up to the race. I wonder if I should work towards a 22-23 mile run at the peak of training? Most training plans seem to stop at about 20 miles.

I wonder a little bit about my nutrition and hydration. I eat whole grain pasta the night before, then a banana and a bagel with peanut butter the morning of, then I eat GU gels and drink Propel/Gatorade during the race. I think I had 5 gels yesterday, about mile 5, 10, 14, 20, 23. The 2nd/3rd ones didn’t go down super smooth so I got nervous about having more, but perhaps I should’ve forced them anyways. Normally I tolerate them just fine.

Open to any suggestions. I’ll probably give it another shot sometime next year and try to get 3:45.

In my opinion you have to run a full 26 before a race to get your body read. There is a reason a lot of people struggle at mile 22 and that’s because that’s as far as they go during training. Run slower but longer. Good job and I bet you shave 5 minutes off next time. 

Did Clash Daytona last week at Daytona motor speedway.  The clash endurance brand does an awesome job. I did the half iron distance Sunday.  Lake swim. Lap around the track out in to highway. The run was around the track and complex. The run was hot but great event 21 min Pr. Came in 5:25.   Really loved the event. That’s a wrap on 2022 race season. Dropped 18lbs this year racing at 205 is a lot better than 225 lol 

Anyone here gone to the Boston Marathon?  I’m curious about logistics on race day.  How important is having a hotel with a race shuttle?  Would it be easy to drop my wife off relatively close to the starting line instead?  How realistic is it to try to see her 2 or 3 times on the course?

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread
On 12/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, txhorns said:

Anyone here gone to the Boston Marathon?  I’m curious about logistics on race day.  How important is having a hotel with a race shuttle?  Would it be easy to drop my wife off relatively close to the starting line instead?  How realistic is it to try to see her 2 or 3 times on the course?

Go with a shuttle isnwhat I’ve always been told 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 9:02 PM, txhorns said:

I ran Boston in 2021 and considered staying near the start and having a family member drop me off. It's a really bad idea as most of the streets around the start are blocked off, and there aren't hotels in Hopkinton or really anywhere close. I'm not sure exactly how close to the start line you can get by car, and it may result in your wife having to walk a lot farther than if she got dropped off by bus.

That's why you'll want a hotel close to the bus pick-up at Boston Common. Getting to the start line via those busses is logistically the best option for runners. They have that operation down, and it's an efficient and stress free one. I'm not sure where a hotel shuttle would take you; I don't know that any offer shuttles to the start. Whatever shuttle option is available probably takes you to Boston Common.

In terms of watching her, it depends on her pace, but you should be able to see her 2-3 times. You can take the green line on the T to get to Wellesley which is about the halfway point. You can probably see her again at Chestnut Hill, and then make a plan to get to Boylston. Just build in extra time for finding a viewable area on Boylston.

55 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

I ran Boston in 2021 and considered staying near the start and having a family member drop me off. It's a really bad idea as most of the streets around the start are blocked off, and there aren't hotels in Hopkinton or really anywhere close. I'm not sure exactly how close to the start line you can get by car, and it may result in your wife having to walk a lot farther than if she got dropped off by bus.

That's why you'll want a hotel close to the bus pick-up at Boston Common. Getting to the start line via those busses is logistically the best option for runners. They have that operation down, and it's an efficient and stress free one. I'm not sure where a hotel shuttle would take you; I don't know that any offer shuttles to the start. Whatever shuttle option is available probably takes you to Boston Common.

In terms of watching her, it depends on her pace, but you should be able to see her 2-3 times. You can take the green line on the T to get to Wellesley which is about the halfway point. You can probably see her again at Chestnut Hill, and then make a plan to get to Boylston. Just build in extra time for finding a viewable area on Boylston.

Thanks for the response.  On the Boston Marathon they have a list of partner hotels that have shuttles from the hotel to the start of the race.  This is in addition to the shuttles from the Commons.  Unfortunately most of these hotels and the ones downtown are out of our price range, not Surly 1% here.  Sounds like I either need to stay at one of the hotels listed on the website or get her to the Boston Commons shuttles.  

As far as actually seeing her on the course I am now planning on trying to see her 3 times if possible.  She will likely run the race in 3 hours 15 minutes, maybe a little slower since Boston is harder.  So my plan is to be close to the start, around the middle and then get as close to the finish line as I can, will also have our 2 younger kids with me.  Some of her friends are going to so they may spread out some or just stay with me.  I will have a rental car but the train is probably a better idea for getting around.

Edited by txhorns
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, YChang said:

Congrats to fellow Surly Horns for completing the Houston marathon! Did the half and got a new PR. Starting to like running half’s but no desire for a full any time soon.

Congrats on the PR! I also set a marathon PR. First completion’s count as PRs right?

Felt great up until mile 21 then started getting cramps in my right quad. When I stretched it, my hamstring would cramp. Crossed the finish line with my wife. It was tough. Weather was great this morning (mid to low 50s) but heated up to mid 70s by the time we crossed the finish line. 

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

On 1/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Congrats on the PR! I also set a marathon PR. First completion’s count as PRs right?

Felt great up until mile 21 then started getting cramps in my right quad. When I stretched it, my hamstring would cramp. Crossed the finish line with my wife. It was tough. Weather was great this morning (mid to low 50s) but heated up to mid 70s by the time we crossed the finish line. 

Congrats!! I was on the pace team for the marathon. The runners in our group fell off around mile 18-19 when you make the turn east to head back downtown. We probably lost 90 percent of the pack, so kudos to you for hanging on until Memorial Park. The heat definitely got to people; it was a great early morning but got warm quickly.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:19 AM, txhorns said:

Thanks for the response.  On the Boston Marathon they have a list of partner hotels that have shuttles from the hotel to the start of the race.  This is in addition to the shuttles from the Commons.  Unfortunately most of these hotels and the ones downtown are out of our price range, not Surly 1% here.  Sounds like I either need to stay at one of the hotels listed on the website or get her to the Boston Commons shuttles.  

As far as actually seeing her on the course I am now planning on trying to see her 3 times if possible.  She will likely run the race in 3 hours 15 minutes, maybe a little slower since Boston is harder.  So my plan is to be close to the start, around the middle and then get as close to the finish line as I can, will also have our 2 younger kids with me.  Some of her friends are going to so they may spread out some or just stay with me.  I will have a rental car but the train is probably a better idea for getting around.

I'd be inclined to stay at a hotel near the start then. I didn't realize there was shuttle service to the start from hotels. You'll be able to see her three times likely. I'd drive and find a place close to the start and then book it Wellesley. Leave your car near a T stop there, and then take the T into Boston, and find a spot on Boylston. The runner tracking is very sophisticated on the app, so you will be able to determine pretty precisely when she will be passing by.