Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

Helluva run UA. Nice!

I ran a "trail" half marathon at Brazos Bend State Park. The course already measured at 13.5, when i was all done, the garmin total was 13.8 miles. Very flat and smooth course. For the 13.1 section I was 1:44. I was hovering 7:55 for each mile through mile 11. I feared limping, so I took an energy gel at mile 9. I ingested the wrong gel, I mistakenly took the non-isotonic, and did not have any water. I ended up limping in with a big stitch -- 8:01 at mile 12. 8:38 for mile 13. then a fab 9:05 for the last .8 miles. 

I was able to witness Patrick Reagan break the american 100 mile trail record. I believe he ran a 12:21:XX. a sub 7:25/mile pace. He passed me on his second loop, all I thought about was how he blew by me, and he still had about 80 miles to go.

• Like 1

Signed up for the 70.3 Ironman in Galveston this coming April. I've done an Olympic-distance triathlon in Marble Falls about 4 years ago. I'm now 31 and have very infrequently worked out since moving to north Texas last summer and felt like I needed something to break out of this funk.
I slowly worked back into cardio for a month before starting a 20-week training plan about 4 weeks ago. Things are going smoothly so far, although my training plan is described as 1/10 difficulty, training enough to finish.
While I've been very consistent with my workouts, I know my diet could stand to be improved. I really plan on getting more serious about that at the start of the year, which will still be 3 months out from race day. Are there any good diet plans for triathlons y'all would recommend? I'm always hungry now and the first thing I reach for isn't always the best. Also, I don't have a bike anymore and was considering just renting for race day. I'm just looking to finish the race, and I almost exclusively used the exercise bike for training the last go around. Anyone done the rental thing before?

18 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

Signed up for the 70.3 Ironman in Galveston this coming April. I've done an Olympic-distance triathlon in Marble Falls about 4 years ago. I'm now 31 and have very infrequently worked out since moving to north Texas last summer and felt like I needed something to break out of this funk.
I slowly worked back into cardio for a month before starting a 20-week training plan about 4 weeks ago. Things are going smoothly so far, although my training plan is described as 1/10 difficulty, training enough to finish.
While I've been very consistent with my workouts, I know my diet could stand to be improved. I really plan on getting more serious about that at the start of the year, which will still be 3 months out from race day. Are there any good diet plans for triathlons y'all would recommend? I'm always hungry now and the first thing I reach for isn't always the best. Also, I don't have a bike anymore and was considering just renting for race day. I'm just looking to finish the race, and I almost exclusively used the exercise bike for training the last go around. Anyone done the rental thing before?

I'm no expert on tris, but there are some that post on here. But for a 70.3, I would definitely want to be training on and using my own bike for the race. You're going to be in the saddle a lot throughout training, and you want to make sure you have a bike you're comfortable with.

Ran 15 miles today and felt really good. Ran a half under 2 hours for the first time. That being said, the thought of running another 10 seems daunting. I’ve done it before but it my body doesn’t remember that apparently. I wish I could just run the marathon this year and feel good after it. I want to run the whole time and make a decent time. 

Good luck at the Decker tomorrow. 

Neonmoon - you should be able to get your body used to the long runs, build them up slowly.   A marathon beats everyone up. My last 4/5 have stunk (according to me) things go wrong. Of the 12/13 I’ve done I can say 2 went really well and 1 awesome.  Sometimes it takes quite a few before things click. 

2010 - I would consider buying a used road bike. Not sure you will find anything decent to rent in Waco.  Good luck with your training.  If you have questions ask away a couple of us have done some triathlons.  One guy on here is super fast. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, hrmaddie said:

Neonmoon - you should be able to get your body used to the long runs, build them up slowly.   A marathon beats everyone up. My last 4/5 have stunk (according to me) things go wrong. Of the 12/13 I’ve done I can say 2 went really well and 1 awesome.  Sometimes it takes quite a few before things click. 

2010 - I would consider buying a used road bike. Not sure you will find anything decent to rent in Waco.  Good luck with your training.  If you have questions ask away a couple of us have done some triathlons.  One guy on here is super fast. 

Well you are correct about the variability. Two weeks ago, I ran 19 and felt fantastic. Last weekend I ran a PR at the 3M Half. I was supposed to run 20 today, but had to shut it down after 15 because I had nothing left in the gas tank. Just drained. Weird. Anywho hopefully the marathon is on a “good day”. Ha 

How much are you riding the exercise bike? Like a spin bike? I think you could do it that way and rent a bike and finish fine but you’d probably have a better experience if you’re able to get out on some 2-3 hours rides ahead of time. Even if your fitness and your legs are ready it’s stuff like your neck (helmet weight), arms and back that need to get used to being on the bike for a few hours.

How much does it cost to rent a bike though? Might be able to get a decent used bike for pretty cheap. For instance I’m selling a well used CAAD10 for $500

Weather.com only has projections out until Sat Feb 15th right now.  The day before the Austin Marathon they have it 69/51.  If 51 is the overnight low heading into race day, it's going to be a scorcher (as far as race weather goes).

Accuweather has race day 68/44  That's a few degrees better but still toasty.

Doing the Half again this year... I think my days of full marathons are past.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, UrbanAchiever said:

Found a Deadspin link talking about the Doha marathon and was reading through the comments section when I stumbled upon this short documentary about the 1904 St. Louis Olympics marathon. Wow. 

That film on the 1904 marathon is wild.   100F temperature, 1 water stop, wild dogs, rat poison, and the winner doing brandy short on the course. 

On 2/1/2020 at 11:47 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

Weather.com only has projections out until Sat Feb 15th right now.  The day before the Austin Marathon they have it 69/51.  If 51 is the overnight low heading into race day, it's going to be a scorcher (as far as race weather goes).

Accuweather has race day 68/44  That's a few degrees better but still toasty.

Doing the Half again this year... I think my days of full marathons are past.

Looks like 70/52 right now. Which is horrible news

The Austin Marathon / Half Marathon is in 9 days and the weather forecast is not great for a race. 

Weather.com has: 

65/50 with a 50% chance of rain.  The rain may actually help with heat as long as it doesn't turn out like the Cap 10K last year and get canceled due to lightning.

Accuweather has: 

Overnight it projects 51 but says 63 for the 'morning' with a high of 69. No rain in this forecast.

Weatherunderground has:

At 7:00am they project 54 degrees with 46% chance of rain.

17 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

And now weather.com has Sunday listed as: 

High 75 / Low 62 with high humidity.  I'm going to enjoy the race, but I'm not going to be setting any PRs.

I seem to recall it being like 35 last year. 

That’s not the morning of the race. That’s the Sunday night low. 

Morning prediction has it being around 52 at 7am and crossing into lows 60s around 11am. Then increasing to 70 by noon. 

I'm seriously considering the (as in I really, really, really want to) rim to rim to rim.  Anyone done it or interested, please pm me.  Not sure when, but I've read Oct/Nov and April/May are good times to do it.  I'm not looking to set a land speed record, but I don't want to be out there for 16+ hours.  I'm currently in the how the hell do I get started planning phase.  

Good luck to the Austin marathon racers!!!

2 hours ago, hrmaddie said:

I'm seriously considering the (as in I really, really, really want to) rim to rim to rim.  Anyone done it or interested, please pm me.  Not sure when, but I've read Oct/Nov and April/May are good times to do it.  I'm not looking to set a land speed record, but I don't want to be out there for 16+ hours.  I'm currently in the how the hell do I get started planning phase.  

Good luck to the Austin marathon racers!!!

You are insane, but that’s a awesome 

The length, weather and elevation can make a single-day Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim run a tall order. A modest-paced run with many breaks takesmost well-conditioned runners 10-13 hours, partially because you'll have a 7-mile, 4,400-foot climb back to the South Rim after already running about 34 miles.

I was 14 minutes slower today than the 3M half marathon a month ago.  I guess I should have expected that, because my training since the 3M hasn't been very good...

the good thing about that long delay at the start, was it an extra bathroom break. So I got that goin for me, which is nice.

• Like 1

I did the Full. I PR'd with a 3:54. Was hoping to go lower, I knew there would be hills, but underestimated the number of hills and their inclines. The heat and humidity just killed me at the end. I was 1:52 at 13.1. I'm thinking Houston 2021 for my next one.

@Your Mom thats helluva time on that course. congrats to your son.

Edited by dmtx
  • Like 1

Did 9 yesterday holding a 6:54 pace so I am doing a half in 3 weeks and then another on April 26th and might possibly consider doing a full after that but I really don’t like training. For those that have done fulls is it as shitty as it sounds training? When training what was the longest run you did? 

• Like 1

Marathon training for me isnt so shitty. This was the first time I consistently ran 5 days a week, sometimes 6 days. My mileaged peaked around 50-57 miles in a week. I'd have to look, but I probably went over 50 miles, five or six times. two days during the week i had smooth easy runs, other two days were threshold/intervals, which I enjoy. The weekend was for the long run. Three hour runs dont really bother me. I dont listen to music on long runs, I just focus on my pace, surroundings, assessing my body. It distracts me enough to get through it. When the long runs peaked, in alternating weeks I had 18-21-18-21-18-21 in the plan. 

If your taper goes well for the half, depending on weather and course conditions, you should be sub 1:30.

I've never done a fall marathon. I did do Dallas (early December). Training can suck. Too many long runs can happen in hot and humid conditions, the long run pace suffers.

I really have no training. I do Orangetheory 4 times a week and that helps with increasing my pace and then do a longer run every Saturday than the previous one until I get to 9 miles. I am done running long runs now that the race is almost 2 weeks away. 

Edited by Clintonaldo

How are you feeling after running nine at the sub seven pace? If fairly labored breathing, I might recommend slowing the pace a bit and lengthen the long run. Build up the cardio foundation. In recent half marathon training my long runs were up to 15 miles at 30-45 seconds slower than race pace. It will be interesting to see what you can do. My late 40s ass isnt as fast you, I can't even do a 10k at that pace. But I'm working on it.

11 hours ago, dmtx said:

How are you feeling after running nine at the sub seven pace? If fairly labored breathing, I might recommend slowing the pace a bit and lengthen the long run. Build up the cardio foundation. In recent half marathon training my long runs were up to 15 miles at 30-45 seconds slower than race pace. It will be interesting to see what you can do. My late 40s ass isnt as fast you, I can't even do a 10k at that pace. But I'm working on it.

I felt good after 9 and could have kept going. My bones were starting to get a little sore but I had 4 more miles in me if needed. My biggest issue with training for a marathon is I have a bone spur on my hip and it gets aggravated once I hit about 14 miles but I feel like I need to do at least one full. I’m shooting for a 1:32 finish coming up. Some people eat a bunch of pasta the night before a race but I prefer cold beer. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just bet an employee that I could beat him in a mile.... and I'm giving him a 90 second head start.  We've agreed to run March 31.  So, essentially a month to prepare.  He said he's running 9 min miles right now and running 2-3 miles 3 to 4 times per week.  I'm running about 30 miles/week right now, but not really training for anything, just trying to drop a few pounds and get healthier.  I'm averaging 7:30/mi on my short runs (< 4 mi) and 8:15/mi on my longer runs (5 - 10 miles).  I think I have this in the bag barring a meltdown or some serious improvement by him, but I want to make sure of it.  I've trained for marathons and half-marathons in the past, but I don't have any strategy to train for a mile run.  Any suggestions on a 30-day training program?

7 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

So, I just bet an employee that I could beat him in a mile.... and I'm giving him a 90 second head start.  We've agreed to run March 31.  So, essentially a month to prepare.  He said he's running 9 min miles right now and running 2-3 miles 3 to 4 times per week.  I'm running about 30 miles/week right now, but not really training for anything, just trying to drop a few pounds and get healthier.  I'm averaging 7:30/mi on my short runs (< 4 mi) and 8:15/mi on my longer runs (5 - 10 miles).  I think I have this in the bag barring a meltdown or some serious improvement by him, but I want to make sure of it.  I've trained for marathons and half-marathons in the past, but I don't have any strategy to train for a mile run.  Any suggestions on a 30-day training program?

A 90 second head start is pretty significant for just a mile.  Good luck!

3 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

This is an 8 week program, but you can incorporate some of these workouts into your speed training. 

https://content.nike.com/content/dam/one-nike/en_lu/SU15/Running/PDFs/Find_Your_Fast_plan_UK_07.07.15.pdf

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 9:59 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

1 hour ago, hrmaddie said:

400s and 800s - at least once a week if not twice 

What hrmaddie said. 

Do note the evil 's' on the end of 400s and 800s. What you want is interval training.   If you're gearing up for a mile run, I'd suggest 400m intervals.

Once a week something like:  8x400 at 85% effort with a minute rest in between.    

Thanks @hrmaddie and @0xdeadbeef.  I found this online. 

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/a775979/4-week-training-plans-for-running-a-fast-mile/

And, yes.  Those 400s and 800s seem to be key.   I ran three miles at 8:00 pace Monday.  Rested for five minutes, then ran a "fast" mile.  Came in at 6:20.  Wasn't dying, but that was close to max effort.  My 1/4 mile splits were roughly 1:40/1:40/1:40/1:20.  So, I think I can break 6:00 by the end of the month if I focus on intervals and have a good strategy on race day.  Hitting 1200s and 400s today as per the "hard" training plan.

Appreciate the insight!

Did my half in Muscle Shoals Alabama this morning and it was fucking brutal and ran the slowest time ever. It was 36 degrees with 20 mph winds and I don’t know how they did it but they managed to make you run into the wind no matter which direction you were going. It was on a golf course and we ran the cart path and it was never straight and flat. I really don’t know what I was thinkng when I signed up for it. I saw the times online and just assumed everyone there was a slow fatass. I knew at mile 2 I was in trouble and the wind was already taking it out of me. I passed 2 people and could see someone about 200 yards ahead of me the whole time but could never catch them. I kept getting pissed that I was 35 seconds a mile off pace and by mile 6 I realized everyone else is probably thinking the same thing. I ended up walking for about 18 seconds the last mile and finished at 1:40 and 6th overall and 1st in age. 

I kept wanting to quit and can honestly say I didn’t enjoy a single step of the race but I am glad I finished. It’s been a long week. I was activated to Nashville Tuesday and stayed until Friday helping with storm damage and drove straight there Friday night and finally got to my home today at 2 only to leave tomorrow again for another week. Starting to think mass quantaties of beer every night this week wasn’t optimal for my run. 

• Like 1

So the last 2 months have been many firsts for me.  February I did the surf city half marathon in Huntington beach.  Ive never ran more than 10 miles in one clip before My goal was 2 hours.  came in at 2:03 and some change.  That was a workout as I prepare for Half Ironmans which ive never done.   I signed up for the North Carolina 70.3 this October.   This past weekend in Longbeach I did the Bayshore 70.4 to see where I am and what lessons to learn.   Now I just started swimming consistently last april.  Finished the 1.3 mile swim in 46 min a pr on distance without stopping.  I've done 3-4K sets in the pool but never that distance.   My goal on the bike was 3.5 hours  finished in 3 with a brutal head wind.  The run killed my soul, had me questioning my coach, myself and why im doing this at mid 40's finished in an extremely disappointing 2:32 min. I'm still 215lbs so I am not fleet of foot. and with a ruptured disc and 2 herniated discs in my back my feet are dead numb stumps by mile 5  Overall a lot of lessons in place for the next 31 weeks. a few more smaller tri's and Rock and roll half in San diego. 

glad there is a thread here in surly about this

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Like 1

Just received an email trail race has been cancelled.  Was going to be my first 50 miler.  The miles and miles I put in, averaged over 70-85 for a couple of months, hit 90+ twice and hit 100 a few weeks ago.  Came home from my morning run only to get the cancellation email, damnit!!!  Damnit ALL!!!!!!!

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear about it. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that this year's Cap 10K is going to be canceled. I obviously am not putting as much training time into it as you were with your race, but this year that race was going to be an important milestone for me. I recently had brain surgery to remove a tumor. Everything is good now and I'm pretty well recovered, but it obviously threw me for a loop emotionally and physically. My plan was that the Cap 10K was going to be my "I'm back!" race and I was going to have some friends and family run it with me.

I know that in the big picture, canceled races and sports aren't that big a deal and there much bigger issues we need to deal with. But, you're right, "dammit!" is how I'm feeling now too. 

5 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear about it. 

I've resigned myself to the fact that this year's Cap 10K is going to be canceled. I obviously am not putting as much training time into it as you were with your race, but this year that race was going to be an important milestone for me. I recently had brain surgery to remove a tumor. Everything is good now and I'm pretty well recovered, but it obviously threw me for a loop emotionally and physically. My plan was that the Cap 10K was going to be my "I'm back!" race and I was going to have some friends and family run it with me.

I know that in the big picture, canceled races and sports aren't that big a deal and there much bigger issues we need to deal with. But, you're right, "dammit!" is how I'm feeling now too. 

That’s a big deal. Sorry you missed it. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread