Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

53 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Congrats!! I was on the pace team for the marathon. The runners in our group fell off around mile 18-19 when you make the turn east to head back downtown. We probably lost 90 percent of the pack, so kudos to you for hanging on until Memorial Park. The heat definitely got to people; it was a great early morning but got warm quickly.

What pace team were you a part of?

On 1/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Congrats on the PR! I also set a marathon PR. First completion’s count as PRs right?

Felt great up until mile 21 then started getting cramps in my right quad. When I stretched it, my hamstring would cramp. Crossed the finish line with my wife. It was tough. Weather was great this morning (mid to low 50s) but heated up to mid 70s by the time we crossed the finish line. 

Good job!

I ran a full marathon 22 years ago and vividly remembering telling myself at mile 21 that I would never do this again.

• Hook 'Em 4

Ran 9 yesterday and then ran 11 today in 28 degree weather and it wasn’t that bad. I will ride Peloton tomorrow for 2 hours and then maybe run3 miles if it isn’t raining. I am starting to have doubts about doing the full Ironman in September but I think when it warms up in March and I can get on the bike outside that will change. I’ve been doing 90 minute spin classes at 5am on Tuesdays and Thursdays and it’s just getting annoying waking up at 4 am. One thing that will help for the 70.3 in May is there is a group of 6 of us doing it and 4 are young dudes who are good runners and help push me. We meet at 6:15 am Monday Wednesday and Friday and run. Sometimes pace is sub 7 sometimes pace is 8. It will be fun training with them on the bike and starting together on race day. I look forward to watching them bonk on the run. 

Been back on the running over the last week after taking about a week off after the Houston Marathon.  I did a 6 mile run about 5 days after the marathon then a casual 10 miler a few days later.  It felt good.  It's nice being back in the gym though.  My 8 mile runs before work are hitting me just right.  Wake up at 5, out the door by 5:30, back home by 6:45 and out the door with the kiddo at 7:30.  I've got a 15k the first weekend of March then a half marathon the last weekend of March.

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Been back on the running over the last week after taking about a week off after the Houston Marathon.  I did a 6 mile run about 5 days after the marathon then a casual 10 miler a few days later.  It felt good.  It's nice being back in the gym though.  My 8 mile runs before work are hitting me just right.  Wake up at 5, out the door by 5:30, back home by 6:45 and out the door with the kiddo at 7:30.  I've got a 15k the first weekend of March then a half marathon the last weekend of March.

I absolutely love it when I can cram a run in the morning before the day begins. There is something peaceful about it. We always meet my father in law for breakfast on Saturday morning at 7:20 am so I have to be up at 5 and running by 5:30 if I am going to do 10 miles. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Ran a 15k race today. Hadn’t run in about 2 weeks due to having a nasty cold. Surprised myself and did it in 1:19:28, 8:33 per mile average. Not bad really and pretty happy with myself. First time I’ve done a race this distance and first race since the Houston Marathon. Fresh15 in Tyler is a fantastic race.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 70.3 is less than 6 weeks away and it's amazing how much more prepared I am this year compared to last. I am one of those people that have to do something first and learn the hard way for the next time. I've done several 50 mile rides this time and ran after and have been able to hold a 7:00 mile after the bike ride so I feel like a sub 5:30 is very possible this year. Saturday, I have a 15k race that is very hilly but should be able to hold a 6:42 pace the whole time and then Sunday will do a 60 mile ride and run 4 miles after. I've improved on swimming but still hate it. Thank God for a wetsuit legal race.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:45 AM, Clintonaldo said:

The 70.3 is less than 6 weeks away and it's amazing how much more prepared I am this year compared to last. I am one of those people that have to do something first and learn the hard way for the next time. I've done several 50 mile rides this time and ran after and have been able to hold a 7:00 mile after the bike ride so I feel like a sub 5:30 is very possible this year. Saturday, I have a 15k race that is very hilly but should be able to hold a 6:42 pace the whole time and then Sunday will do a 60 mile ride and run 4 miles after. I've improved on swimming but still hate it. Thank God for a wetsuit legal race.

Good luck man. I’m eyeing a 70.3 in 2025.

My wife got to run the Boston Marathon on Monday.  It was incredible.  Just a great atmosphere all around.  She had no issues on the course and was able to qualify for the Chicago Marathon in 2024.  I saw her at the 7 mile mark and then jumped on the train to head downtown.  That train broke down and I got kicked off.  Waited for another train both the next two that came by were too full and you couldn’t get on so had to start walking.  Got to see her at the 21-22 mile mark.  Was another line of train there that wasn’t as full so hopped on the train again to try to go past the finish line so that I could walk back and meet her.  That train got 2 miles from the finish before it broke down and I got kicked off again.  They shut the whole line of trains down at that point.  So I had to walk a couple of miles to get past the finish line and see her.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Chattanooga 70.3 is Sunday and I cannot wait. Ran an easy 6 today and will ride tomorrow and then rest. 

Damn man.  If I was still up there, I'd be training with you.c

Ran the Knox Marathon on a dare in 2013.  Always wanted to do a 1/2 Iron and, maybe, work my way up.  Problem is, I can't swim well.  I've tried.  I just can't do it.  Coincidentally, I damn near drown in the YMCA pool (near West Town Mall) attempting my first sprint tri back in the mid 2000's.  

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Damn man.  If I was still up there, I'd be training with you.c

Ran the Knox Marathon on a dare in 2013.  Always wanted to do a 1/2 Iron and, maybe, work my way up.  Problem is, I can't swim well.  I've tried.  I just can't do it.  Coincidentally, I damn near drown in the YMCA pool (near West Town Mall) attempting my first sprint tri back in the mid 2000's.  

I was a terrible swimmer and just worked at it. My first time in the pool I couldn’t even go a length. The wetsuit helps a lot and Chattanooga is always wetsuit legal for 70.3. I strongly recommend you do one. You won’t regret it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I was a terrible swimmer and just worked at it. My first time in the pool I couldn’t even go a length. The wetsuit helps a lot and Chattanooga is always wetsuit legal for 70.3. I strongly recommend you do one. You won’t regret it. 

I’m a retired age grouper.  70.3 was my favorite distance because it was long enough to beat my friends that were faster than me (but raced stupid), and I could be done with the race before lunch/beer time.  I have 25 70.3 medals sitting in my shoebox in the closet from 2011-2018.  Also a shit ton of marathons, half’s, bike races and one IMTX.

The wear and tear on my body, age, and kids eventually made it too hard to keep going.  Enjoy it while you can do it, I’m glad I did!

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m a retired age grouper.  70.3 was my favorite distance because it was long enough to beat my friends that were faster than me (but raced stupid), and I could be done with the race before lunch/beer time.  I have 25 70.3 medals sitting in my shoebox in the closet from 2011-2018.  Also a shit ton of marathons, half’s, bike races and one IMTX.

The wear and tear on my body, age, and kids eventually made it too hard to keep going.  Enjoy it while you can do it, I’m glad I did!

My man!

I played soccer through college so I’ve always been somewhat athletic. Like you, I’ve done numerous competitions and love it. The only thing I haven’t done is the the full Ironman( that will be in September) and qualify for Boston marathon and that could possibly be next year.

At 42 and with a 2 year old I feel like my window is somewhat closing on how long I can do this stuff but it’s good for my mental health and it keeps me on a somewhat disciplined path.

I’ve also fell in with a great group of about 15 dudes that range from 60-30 and everyone has either done a full Ironman or ran Boston or both and it’s been great to surround myself with them. I will be racing with 2 of the group ( both 30 years old ) and can probably beat both of them. The rest of the group will be there betting on us and we will go out and get drunk after the race.

People always say I am killing my joints but my MRI’s look good and if I have to be in a wheelchair later I want to say I earned it and not because I was a fat fuck.

One thing I won’t miss when this is over is waking up at 4 to train( like this morning )
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My wife and I signed up for the Mt. Charleston Marathon north of Vegas next year so we've got two marathons next year (Houston).  This one is mostly downhill and looks to be a great time.  We're meeting some friends out there as well and it's my birthday weekend.  I'm also planning the CapTex tri next year as well in late May.

I'm still consistently running since my last race at the beginning of April but we're coming up on the hotter months and humidity is a bitch in Houston.  I'm probably running 35 miles per week right now and would like to keep consistent at it throughout the summer to dive right into marathon training when the weather turns cooler.  Should be fun.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone use Creatine? 

I always thought of creatine as something for body builder and sprinters, but one of the running podcasts I listen to on Spotify (Trail Runner Nation Ep 612) talked about the benefits of creatine for distance runners as well as recent research about improved cognitive functions.  It was the brain stuff that tipped the scale for me.   I started it about 2 weeks ago, with the first week being a 'load' week of 25mg/day, then dropping to 5mg/day from then on.     

I knew creatine causes your muscles to hold more water, so I expected my weight to go up a little, but I gained almost 10 lbs in a week, and at the end of the first week my lower legs felt almost bloated.  I'm at week 8 of 18 training for a hard race this summer and my milage was supposed to be ramping up, but I had to cut my 10 mile training run last Sunday to 7 miles because my feet were swollen and my calves uncomfortably tight.    I backed off running this week and didn't run until Thursday and the legs felt a little better, but still much tighter than they should be. 

I'm hoping that was the result of loading up on creatine in the first week and as my body gets used to it, the legs will get back to normal...Google searches are not real clear.

Anyone have good or bad experience distance running and doing creatine?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

Anyone use Creatine? 

I always thought of creatine as something for body builder and sprinters, but one of the running podcasts I listen to on Spotify (Trail Runner Nation Ep 612) talked about the benefits of creatine for distance runners as well as recent research about improved cognitive functions.  It was the brain stuff that tipped the scale for me.   I started it about 2 weeks ago, with the first week being a 'load' week of 25mg/day, then dropping to 5mg/day from then on.     

I knew creatine causes your muscles to hold more water, so I expected my weight to go up a little, but I gained almost 10 lbs in a week, and at the end of the first week my lower legs felt almost bloated.  I'm at week 8 of 18 training for a hard race this summer and my milage was supposed to be ramping up, but I had to cut my 10 mile training run last Sunday to 7 miles because my feet were swollen and my calves uncomfortably tight.    I backed off running this week and didn't run until Thursday and the legs felt a little better, but still much tighter than they should be. 

I'm hoping that was the result of loading up on creatine in the first week and as my body gets used to it, the legs will get back to normal...Google searches are not real clear.

I had the same experience.  I immediately started gaining weight w/ the creatine.  I didn't take it long enough to see if it would eventually help.

On 5/19/2023 at 1:06 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

Anyone use Creatine? 

18 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I had the same experience.  I immediately started gaining weight w/ the creatine.  I didn't take it long enough to see if it would eventually help.

I was on creatine back in September - November.  I didn't "load" and just did a 5mg/day for 3 months.  I gained probably 5 pounds or so?  I didn't find that it actually helped all that much.  I was also lifting more than running at that time.  I did notice my arms felt fuller/bigger (if that makes sense) but didn't have any effect on my legs or running capabilities.

• Like 1

Figure this probably belongs in this thread.

Rick Hoyt passes away

Rick Hoyt, the man who was pushed in a wheelchair by his father in 32 Boston Marathon races, died Monday morning.

Hoyt, 61, died due to complications with his respiratory system, according to a family statement posted on The Hoyt Foundation’s Facebook.

“It is with profound sadness that the Hoyt Family announce the passing of our beloved brother and uncle, Rick Hoyt this morning,” the Hoyt family said in a statement Monday. “As so many knew, Rick along with our father, Dick, were icons in the road race and triathlon worlds for over 40 years and inspired millions of people with disabilities to believe in themselves, set goals and accomplish extraordinary things.”

Rick, who had cerebral palsy that left him a quadriplegic, and his father, Dick, who passed away in March 2021, ran their first Boston Marathon in 1980 with a custom racing chair for Rick, according to the Boston Athletic Association and became fixtures in the race until their last as a team in 2014.

The father and son began running in races in 1977 when Rick told his dad he wanted to participate in a 5-mile race to benefit a lacrosse player who had been paralyzed in an accident, according to the Hoyt Foundation’s website.

Though he could not talk, Hoyt learned when he was 12 years old how to use his head and buttons mounted on his chair to type out sentences.

“I wanted to show this person that life goes on and he could still lead a productive life,” Hoyt told HBO’s “Real Sports” correspondent Mary Carillo in 2005. He said he told his father they had to run in the race.

They completed the 5-mile event with his father pushing his chair, finishing next to last.

Hoyt told his father that when they were running it felt like his disability disappeared, Dick Hoyt told “Real Sports.”

Rick Hoyt was a 36-time Boston Marathon finisher, according to the marathon race organizers.

“Rick Hoyt will always be remembered as a Boston Marathon icon and for personifying the ‘Yes You Can’ mentality that defined Team Hoyt,” the Boston Athletic Association said in a statement. “We are fortunate to have been able to call Rick a friend, mentor, pioneer, and Boston Marathon finisher.”

The father-son duo completed more than 1,000 marathons, duathlons and triathlons, according to the Team Hoyt website.

There is a statue honoring the pair in Hopkington, Massachusetts, near where the marathon starts each April.

A “Yes You Can” race is planned for this Saturday in Hopkintonin honor of Dick, but the family says they will make a decision at a later date whether it will be postponed.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 hours ago, topochico said:

I'm running the Garden of the Gods 10 mile in a few weeks. A little altitude test for me as I prep for the Pikes Peak Marathon this Fall. At least it will be better than running in Texas heat and humidity. 

I feel you on that. My max effort during the summer months in Houston is around 8 or so miles at once due to the humidity. I ran 15 miles fairly easily at the same pace when I visited my parents this last weekend in NE Texas. The humidity down here in Houston is a killer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did the inaugural Ironman PA 70.3 yesterday.  The hardest course I’ve ever ridden. Just destroyed everyone. 3800 feet of gain. Not just rollers. Long 3-4 mile 6-8% climbs.  3 long climbs. 800 feet on the run through the campus at PSU finishing in the stadium at the 50 yd line on the big screen. Great venue. But I saw triple digits DNFs. The only saving grace was the rain and cooler temps. Still humid. But if it was hot and sunny it could have been worse.  2700 racers. My back is super fucked 

On 7/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, Sgt Hulk said:

Did the inaugural Ironman PA 70.3 yesterday.  The hardest course I’ve ever ridden. Just destroyed everyone. 3800 feet of gain. Not just rollers. Long 3-4 mile 6-8% climbs.  3 long climbs. 800 feet on the run through the campus at PSU finishing in the stadium at the 50 yd line on the big screen. Great venue. But I saw triple digits DNFs. The only saving grace was the rain and cooler temps. Still humid. But if it was hot and sunny it could have been worse.  2700 racers. My back is super fucked 

what was your time?

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

what was your time?

I had to stop every .50 miles to stretch my back and get the feeling back in my legs. My time was a 6:31:23.  I did clash Daytona in December. Flat course with decent back and did a 5:20ish lol 

On 7/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, pearlandhorn said:

Any Austin locals do the CapTexTri over Memorial Day? Recommend? Thinking of making that my first triathlon then moving up to 70.3.

I used to do the Olympic distance every year, but that was several years ago.  Only reason I stopped was youth sports consumed my weekends - with tournaments on Memorial Day weekend.  It was a relatively large race, but well run.  Swim in Town Lake is fine - no currents either way, in the later years there was some hydrilla to swim through, and don't ingest any of the water under the bat shit bridge.  Bike is flat, but not straight with several 90 degree corners.  Run has a couple of loops along and through the park.  Its a relatively large race with a large transition area.  Transition used to be first come, first serve, but it might have moved to assigned spots later.  I would recommend, although I would probably do a smaller, local sprint tri for my first.     

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I used to do the Olympic distance every year, but that was several years ago.  Only reason I stopped was youth sports consumed my weekends - with tournaments on Memorial Day weekend.  It was a relatively large race, but well run.  Swim in Town Lake is fine - no currents either way, in the later years there was some hydrilla to swim through, and don't ingest any of the water under the bat shit bridge.  Bike is flat, but not straight with several 90 degree corners.  Run has a couple of loops along and through the park.  Its a relatively large race with a large transition area.  Transition used to be first come, first serve, but it might have moved to assigned spots later.  I would recommend, although I would probably do a smaller, local sprint tri for my first.     

Thanks for the advice!

• 1 month later...

I've been running for 20 years now and a month or so ago I started getting consistent knee soreness for the first time in my life. I run 4 or 5 days a week, 5 to 6.5 miles depending on the route. Two months ago I upped my running from 3 days a week to my current 4 to 5. So no doubt the extra running has contributed. I moved to Salt Lake City two months ago and took on some aggressive hikes and did my first half marathon in the first month I was here. The soreness was especially pronounced after those hikes and half marathon and was likely the initial source of the soreness.

How do y'all handle knee soreness? I've started to ice my knees a couple times a day. I changed out my low-cushion shoes for some very high-cushion shoes a couple of weeks ago. That seems to have helped. I'm going to avoid hiking as well for a while and I'm debating getting knee sleeves to see if they help.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:54 AM, Orale said:

I've been running for 20 years now and a month or so ago I started getting consistent knee soreness for the first time in my life. I run 4 or 5 days a week, 5 to 6.5 miles depending on the route. Two months ago I upped my running from 3 days a week to my current 4 to 5. So no doubt the extra running has contributed. I moved to Salt Lake City two months ago and took on some aggressive hikes and did my first half marathon in the first month I was here. The soreness was especially pronounced after those hikes and half marathon and was likely the initial source of the soreness.

How do y'all handle knee soreness? I've started to ice my knees a couple times a day. I changed out my low-cushion shoes for some very high-cushion shoes a couple of weeks ago. That seems to have helped. I'm going to avoid hiking as well for a while and I'm debating getting knee sleeves to see if they help.

ice, stretching and resting more every now and then.

On 8/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, Orale said:

Do you already use a knee band type support strap?  As I ran more and got older I developed knee pain issues when running but they definitely helped with the after soreness as well.

I use the Mcdavid Knee Support Strap -Patellar Tendon Support and not sure I would run without them anymore.

On 9/5/2023 at 3:25 PM, pearlandhorn said:

I went ahead and signed up for a Sprint Tri this weekend in Tyler as a precursor to next year's CapTex Olympic.  I'm well into marathon training for the Houston and Mt. Charleston marathons next year.  Should be a fun weekend visiting my parents too.

Well, how'd it go?

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Well, how'd it go?

Thanks for asking. It went really well. I finished 12th out of 18 in my division at around 1:34:00. Definitely not lighting the world on fire but I learned a ton about transition areas and what NOT to do. Swim and bike were both pretty average but I was 5th in my division in just the run alone. The winner of the whole thing was in my division and he completed it in 1:03:00. Definitely a lot I can improve on and glad I did this before Austin next year.

• Like 1