Running / Triathlon Thread

UrbanAchiever

1 hour ago, Clintonaldo said:

I live in Chattanooga so you and I will be doing Chattanooga together. Let me know where you are staying as we get closer to the race. This morning I got on the bike for 1.5 hours and then did a 4 mile run holding a 6:40 pace fairly easy. I know everything will be different on race day but for now I am enjoying it. I haven't even began to practice swimming but I need to.

6:40 pace. Holy F man. Damn. Bravo.  If you do under 5 on chatty you’re a friggin stud lol. My best was 5:40 in North Carolina. But I’m old and 220 lbs so running is slow haha.  I got an Airbnb with some military bros looking forward to meeting ya 

58 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

6:40 pace. Holy F man. Damn. Bravo.  If you do under 5 on chatty you’re a friggin stud lol. My best was 5:40 in North Carolina. But I’m old and 220 lbs so running is slow haha.  I got an Airbnb with some military bros looking forward to meeting ya 

Thanks man. Any advice you can give a first timer? I run a lot of half marathons and usually finish around 1:30 but I am really excited to be doing something different.  I am 41 so almost an old guy. 

Thanks man. Any advice you can give a first timer? I run a lot of half marathons and usually finish around 1:30 but I am really excited to be doing something different.  I am 41 so almost an old guy. 

Yeah man have a plan. Have back up plans shit wil go wrong. Do you have a coach?  If not get a coach  swim should be easy. Prob will be wet suit legal. Start practicing your run off the bike.  Getting your legs under you takes practice. Especially with chatty and 2900 feet of climbing.  But number 1 most important thing is have fun.  I transitioned over from bodybuilding and I love it. Great community to 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else run the Austin marathon today?

This was my second marathon (and last?) And I shaved twenty minutes off my first go round to get under 4 hours, which was my stretch goal.

My calves are on fire, but I'm good with it.

The logistics in putting on a marathon is nuts and I think these guys do a good job.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, Clintonaldo said:

I got in the pool for the first time today and lol I fucking suck. I could only go down 1 time without getting tired. Learning how to breath has been humbling. I did a nice 1.5 hours on the bike before. 

Endurance will come with time in the pool.  Swimming is all about technique.  You might want to check out total immersion for some tips on "effortless" swimming.    

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Endurance will come with time in the pool.  Swimming is all about technique.  You might want to check out total immersion for some tips on "effortless" swimming.    

Thanks. I spent 45 minutes in the pool this afternoon and it went a little better. I am trying to swim like I run so I am working on trying to remain calm. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ran the Cowtown Marathon last week. First full marathon for me in 11 years. Pace was 8:36/mile until mile 22, then I had some knee pain which slowed me down considerably. Final time was 4:04. I was happy to finish given the knee problem but a little disappointed with the time.

The knee issue seems pretty classic for IT band syndrome. I’m a lifelong runner - usually long recreational runs are in the 8-13 mile range at various points throughout the year, and I never have any injuries, but obviously increasing to 26.2 miles can always introduce new problems. It started 2 weeks before the marathon, then I basically took the last 2 weeks off to avoid further inflammation, did some stretching and NSAIDs. Felt good until mile 21, then flared up on me.

It hurt pretty bad just walking around the first few days after. I realized I was paying the price for running through it. Not unexpected. It feels normal again 8 days later. I think I’ll stick to Peloton and outdoor cycling for about 3 weeks, then maybe start out with some slow 3 mile runs and see how it feels.

Long term goal is to be able to comfortably finish another marathon without IT band problems, hopefully later in the year. I’d rather do a slower recovery now than try to push things and have an ongoing lingering knee problem.

Anyone else been through this? What was your experience recovering?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 7:26 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Yeah man have a plan. Have back up plans shit wil go wrong. Do you have a coach?  If not get a coach  swim should be easy. Prob will be wet suit legal. Start practicing your run off the bike.  Getting your legs under you takes practice. Especially with chatty and 2900 feet of climbing.  But number 1 most important thing is have fun.  I transitioned over from bodybuilding and I love it. Great community to 

Since you have done a few Ironman 70.3’s I figured I would ask you about training. I’m swimming 2 times a week, biking 3 times a week and running 3 times a week. On saturdays I will do something like bike 20 miles and run 6. How much more should I be doing for race in May? My longest bike ride has been 43 miles and felt great. I know I am ignorant on this since I haven’t done one and probably overly confident in some ways. 

My background is that I am a 41 year old college soccer player and have ran probably 15 half marathons and usually them around a time of 1:32. 

47 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Since you have done a few Ironman 70.3’s I figured I would ask you about training. I’m swimming 2 times a week, biking 3 times a week and running 3 times a week. On saturdays I will do something like bike 20 miles and run 6. How much more should I be doing for race in May? My longest bike ride has been 43 miles and felt great. I know I am ignorant on this since I haven’t done one and probably overly confident in some ways. 

My background is that I am a 41 year old college soccer player and have ran probably 15 half marathons and usually them around a time of 1:32. 

We are about 8 weeks out so you should start ticking up the volume. You have a great half marathon time. But hopping off the bike after 57 miles with 2900 feet of climb is a new animal. I don’t base my efforts in mileage anymore I go by time. 3 hour ride 30 min run off the bike etc. saddle time is key here if your longest bike to date is 43. Ride longer. 60 mile bikes should be easy. The longer rides you’ll need to practice nutrition  practice now and nothing new on race day.  I keep a similar schedule.  Recovery swim Monday with some gym work.  3 bikes and 3 runs with the weekends being the bull of the volume.  Start increasing your weekend saddle time and run time. Your bricks don’t need to be crazy it’s all about the transition and getting your run legs under you. 

lots of info. Recap.   Increase saddle time on bike and practice your nutrition see what gels and foods work and don’t work. Nothing sucks more than bubble guts in a race.   Long runs on Sunday. Long bikes on Saturday.  This one again is unique with the climbing involved 

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We are about 8 weeks out so you should start ticking up the volume. You have a great half marathon time. But hopping off the bike after 57 miles with 2900 feet of climb is a new animal. I don’t base my efforts in mileage anymore I go by time. 3 hour ride 30 min run off the bike etc. saddle time is key here if your longest bike to date is 43. Ride longer. 60 mile bikes should be easy. The longer rides you’ll need to practice nutrition  practice now and nothing new on race day.  I keep a similar schedule.  Recovery swim Monday with some gym work.  3 bikes and 3 runs with the weekends being the bull of the volume.  Start increasing your weekend saddle time and run time. Your bricks don’t need to be crazy it’s all about the transition and getting your run legs under you. 

lots of info. Recap.   Increase saddle time on bike and practice your nutrition see what gels and foods work and don’t work. Nothing sucks more than bubble guts in a race.   Long runs on Sunday. Long bikes on Saturday.  This one again is unique with the climbing involved 

Thank you and I thought that’s what you were going to tell me. My rest day is Monday so I swim then which is funny since you do that as well. Good thing about training in Chattanooga is I am already used to the hills as my last ride was 35 miles and total ascent was over 1,800 ft. 

Starting next week I am going to do an hour spin class Tuesday and Thursday at 5 am and after those classes do a 4 mile run and then in those afternoons I am meeting someone whose done Kona( and doing this one) and we will ride those afternoons as well. 

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you in May. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you and I thought that’s what you were going to tell me. My rest day is Monday so I swim then which is funny since you do that as well. Good thing about training in Chattanooga is I am already used to the hills as my last ride was 35 miles and total ascent was over 1,800 ft. 

Starting next week I am going to do an hour spin class Tuesday and Thursday at 5 am and after those classes do a 4 mile run and then in those afternoons I am meeting someone whose done Kona( and doing this one) and we will ride those afternoons as well. 

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you in May. 

I think it’s the universal triathlon schedule lol Monday rest of recovery swim.  Wed fridays swim and run tue thur bike and lift.  Weekends long volume lol.  I just finished 3 hours on the bike with 18mph winds. It sucked shit 

I think it’s the universal triathlon schedule lol Monday rest of recovery swim.  Wed fridays swim and run tue thur bike and lift.  Weekends long volume lol.  I just finished 3 hours on the bike with 18mph winds. It sucked shit 

Last week no matter what direction I rode I was in headwinds. Loved and hated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Covid and age have not been kind to me for the last 2 years, but it's time to get this show back in gear.    A Half Marathon is the sweet spot for me. 10K just seems so ordinary and a Full Marathon is too brutal to do another.   I started running a month ago, and I've found that (probably due to age) I'm weaker across the board than I have ever been. I need to try something new.  

The target: Stars and Stripes Half Marathon July 23rd in New Braunfels

The plan:

• Runs on Tuesday, Thursday and a long run on Sunday
  • Crossfit on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
  • Cycling on Saturday

Some people rip on Crossfit, but it seems to be exactly what I need. 

As an added motivation to get myself back in shape, there is a massive (40,000 runner) Marathon/Half/10K/5K event in Melbourne Australia that lines up with a trip I may be taking in October.     40,500 runners total across all distances and 12,000 in just the Half. I need to make that trip and race happen.   But first is the S&S Half in July.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/26/2022 at 12:24 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

I tried to sign up for an Ironman prep for this weekend where you swim the course and run a little today and bike the course tomorrow. They said it was full so I saved my $60 and rode the bike course today and will swim tomorrow. I biked it in 3 hours having to wait on traffic lights and shit and felt alright but I was getting a little tired towards the end. I think it was more of a nutrition thing but still fucked with my head a little. I am glad I did it. 

I tried to sign up for an Ironman prep for this weekend where you swim the course and run a little today and bike the course tomorrow. They said it was full so I saved my $60 and rode the bike course today and will swim tomorrow. I biked it in 3 hours having to wait on traffic lights and shit and felt alright but I was getting a little tired towards the end. I think it was more of a nutrition thing but still fucked with my head a little. I am glad I did it. 

What was your total elevation on the day?   How were the roads 

For the low low price of $9 a month I will tell you all the secrets plus a 1 time small introductory fee of $500.

c4ebb4e7fb5814a5c1e2ce73f895f8f9.jpg

So avoid bike lanes pretty much until Ga and then the shoulder is awesome for awhile. There are some rough spots in Ga but overall good. I think Chatt will sweep the bike lane before the race but in St Elmo it’s rough as hell.

13 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

For the low low price of $9 a month I will tell you all the secrets plus a 1 time small introductory fee of $500.

c4ebb4e7fb5814a5c1e2ce73f895f8f9.jpg

So avoid bike lanes pretty much until Ga and then the shoulder is awesome for awhile. There are some rough spots in Ga but overall good. I think Chatt will sweep the bike lane before the race but in St Elmo it’s rough as hell.

Just picked my race bike up. Had Di2 installed man I’ve been missing out 

Lol. I have no idea what the fuck that is. I am on a borrowed Cannondale road bike that’s about $4k a few years ago. I will buy a bike after this to start training for a full.

I am such a cycling rookie that I don’t know shit about fuck. I did ride with a guy who was sponsored though and kept up with him.

There are only 2 hills on the in my opinion. The first is when you make a left turn about halfway through and you will need to shift down. It’s steep but not long. The second is a longer climb starting at about mile 42 if I remember correctly. I think there is a YouTube video and I will try to find it for you.

20 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I did my first ever open water swim today on the course. Water was 60 and I somewhat panicked at first but after about a minute I realized I wasn’t going to die and to non pussy myself. I did 1.4 miles in 43 minutes. I have a month with a swim coach to get my shit together. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday I wanted to ride 70 miles so I met two people and we rode the course again and we were just starting another short loop and the two guys crashed into each other not paying attention so we had to turn around. Only got 59 miles in. 

I am as ready to get next weekend over with so I can drink. 

On 4/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

That’s a good first time. The water will prob be 10 degrees warmer at least by the time we race 

You ready? Saturday I am going to swim the course, bike 20 and run 6 then take it easy minus swimming for next week. I might nail some beer Sunday as I am dying to have one. 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:32 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

I forgot to post this. 

At the 20 minute mark when he makes the left turn is the first serious hill and it is short. The long climb is the hill starting at 31 mark when they turn left. It’s about a 2.5 mile gradual climb and I love it. 

Once you get out of Chattanooga and through Flintstone Georgia you probably hit about 5 decent rolling hills but nothing bad. 

21 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

You ready? Saturday I am going to swim the course, bike 20 and run 6 then take it easy minus swimming for next week. I might nail some beer Sunday as I am dying to have one. 

It’s gonna be fucjing hot lol. I’ve trained my sss off in cool weather. So this is gonna add about 10 min to my total time hahahaha 

"The record stood for 57 years before Gary Martin broke it on Monday. A Pennsylvania teenager broke a track and field record that stood for almost 60 years. Gary Martin, a senior at Archbishop Wood High School ran a mile in under four minutes without a pacer, becoming the first high schooler to do so since Jim Ryun in 1965."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/high-schooler-breaks-record-with-sub-four-minute-mile/ar-AAXr1QF?li=BB15ms5q

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2022 at 2:29 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

It’s gonna be fucjing hot lol. I’ve trained my sss off in cool weather. So this is gonna add about 10 min to my total time hahahaha 

You in Nooga yet? I check in at 4 tomorrow but I never received my QR code. I can’t wait for the argument. 

Well….. I had a PR on the swim and did it in 37 minutes. The bike was 3:09 which is where I thought I would be and then everything turned to shit on the run. I can normally run a sub 1:30 half but today it was 2:29 only because I refused an hour difference. I finished the Ironman 70.3 in 6:30 which is an hour off but I finished my first triathlon. I also got a flat tire this morning when I checked my tire pressure before I loaded up for the swim and that sent me for a loop. 

Edited by Clintonaldo
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/22/2022 at 9:18 PM, Clintonaldo said:

Well….. I had a PR on the swim and did it in 37 minutes. The bike was 3:09 which is where I thought I would be and then everything turned to shit on the run. I can normally run a sub 1:30 half but today it was 2:29 only because I refused an hour difference. I finished the Ironman 70.3 in 6:30 which is an hour off but I finished my first triathlon. I also got a flat tire this morning when I checked my tire pressure before I loaded up for the swim and that sent me for a loop. 

Hey man good job.  It was hot as Fu there.  I did a 5:46  I was hoping for a better run. But bloody hell those hills.  I was 37 and some change on the swim. 2:48 and a 2:08 on the run. Transitions were soo long. All and all a great venue I’m gonna do it next year. I hit 41mph on that’s long downhill. Scary AF.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hey man good job.  It was hot as Fu there.  I did a 5:46  I was hoping for a better run. But bloody hell those hills.  I was 37 and some change on the swim. 2:48 and a 2:08 on the run. Transitions were soo long. All and all a great venue I’m gonna do it next year. I hit 41mph on that’s long downhill. Scary AF.  

I’ve been wondering about you and glad you checked in. I saw a vehicle at REI last Friday with Texas plates and a bike on the back and almost yelled out Hulk..jk….

I really don’t understand what went wrong. Running is my strength and I was just absolutely dog shit on it. I felt fine on the bike.

I borrowed a decent road bike to do this on but after looking at times a 3:09 bike time was average. Is a tri bike that much better or will a bike that is correct for me and putting some aero bars make that big of a difference?

Obviously, I am doing it again next May for redemption and then the 140.6 in September.

19 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I really don’t understand what went wrong. Running is my strength and I was just absolutely dog shit on it. I felt fine on the bike.

Running a half marathon is much different than running a half marathon after biking 56 miles - I found that out the hard way myself.  Good job finishing your first and continuing training for your next.

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Running a half marathon is much different than running a half marathon after biking 56 miles - I found that out the hard way myself.  Good job finishing your first and continuing training for your next.

Thanks man. Now I am figuring out if I want to buy a Tri bike or a road bike and put some aero bars on it. I borrowed a pretty nice Cannondale from someone and it’s time to return it. 

13 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Thanks man. Now I am figuring out if I want to buy a Tri bike or a road bike and put some aero bars on it. I borrowed a pretty nice Cannondale from someone and it’s time to return it. 

I'd recommend a good road bike.  Much more versatile and easier to ride.  Tri bikes are fine for riding in a straight line, but they can be difficult on courses with lots of turns or hills.  I couldn't imagine doing all of my training or many of my races in a tuck position.  I never won anything either.  I have some aero bars for my road bike where the arm pads fold up when you want to ride using the handle bars. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend a good road bike.  Much more versatile and easier to ride.  Tri bikes are fine for riding in a straight line, but they can be difficult on courses with lots of turns or hills.  I couldn't imagine doing all of my training or many of my races in a tuck position.  I never won anything either.  I have some aero bars for my road bike where the arm pads fold up when you want to ride using the handle bars. 

A lot of people I trust have said the same thing. Tri bikes look cool as shit but you are right in that I live in Chattanooga and it’s not exactly flat for long distances. Damn you Callo!

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

Covid and age have not been kind to me for the last 2 years, but it's time to get this show back in gear.    A Half Marathon is the sweet spot for me. 10K just seems so ordinary and a Full Marathon is too brutal to do another.   I started running a month ago, and I've found that (probably due to age) I'm weaker across the board than I have ever been. I need to try something new.  

The target: Stars and Stripes Half Marathon July 23rd in New Braunfels

The plan:

• Runs on Tuesday, Thursday and a long run on Sunday
  • Crossfit on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
  • Cycling on Saturday

Some people rip on Crossfit, but it seems to be exactly what I need. 

As an added motivation to get myself back in shape, there is a massive (40,000 runner) Marathon/Half/10K/5K event in Melbourne Australia that lines up with a trip I may be taking in October.     40,500 runners total across all distances and 12,000 in just the Half. I need to make that trip and race happen.   But first is the S&S Half in July.

Sometime you don't know what you're capable of until you just do it.  I've now worked out for 45 days in a row. Run, Crossfit, and Cycle.  Not since I ran Track in College have I pushed this many days in a row.  I've done marathons, half marathons, and a half ironman, over the past couple decades, but I always built-in rest days.  I honestly expected to throw in the towel by the 2nd week and take a weekend off.   The key, I'm sure, is that I'm making sure I get much more sleep that I have in the past.   The Garmin watch makes it really convenient to track sleep.

And to add to the fun, I've also cut my calories over the same period to about 1,000 a day. That's actually been harder than the workouts.  Everyone around me (and a lot of sites on the internet) keep telling me that losing 30 lbs in 45 days isn't healthy, and I should lose 1-2 lbs a week instead.  Screw that, I'm tired of looking at a fat guy in the mirror.  I'm sure part of that 30 lbs is muscle, but for at least another 10 pounds, I don't care.

59 days until the Stars and Stripes Half Marathon July 23rd in New Braunfels.  Hopefully I make it to the starting line and not be "that fat guy".

Did the woman on cocaine cheer you on near the top of the hill, under all the bridges, around the end of mile 1?

12 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Did the woman on cocaine cheer you on near the top of the hill, under all the bridges, around the end of mile 1?

Hahahaha there’s was a lot of folks with energy on the run. I remember that bridge but they were partying. It was lit 

On 5/24/2022 at 9:08 PM, Clintonaldo said:

I’ve been wondering about you and glad you checked in. I saw a vehicle at REI last Friday with Texas plates and a bike on the back and almost yelled out Hulk..jk….

I borrowed a decent road bike to do this on but after looking at times a 3:09 bike time was average. Is a tri bike that much better or will a bike that is correct for me and putting some aero bars make that big of a difference?

Obviously, I am doing it again next May for redemption and then the 140.6 in September.

Many will give their opinions. Road bikes have a little better gearing fo climbs.  But I rock a Argon18 DI2 Disc wheel. I did a 2:48 on a flat fast wilmington on October I did a 2:48 here on the climbing at only 180 watts avg. my goal was 200 watt avg but I wanted fresh legs.  My buddy rode is road bike and he was over 3 hours as well. In racing I’ll stick with tri bike   I’m doing Ironman Maryland in September my first full and I’m already wondering if 16 weeks is enough 

Edited by Sgt Hulk

• 2 weeks later...
Alright. Training has started again for the 70.3 and 140.6 next year. I have decided to get a road bike and possibly rent a tri bike the weekend of the race. I am about to pull the trigger on this. Anyone have any thoughts ?

7e89c4bc0e82686a75a320299f32ac10.jpg

Nice looking bike. As for renting a tri bike for the race - "nothing new on race day."
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

anybody else training for any fall marathons right now?  i've got a marathon in October.  i'm in week 4 of training.  this might kill me.  i'm out the door before the sun comes up on most days and it's still oppressive.  i've done some 7 and 8 mile runs on the treadmill because i just can't deal with the heat every day.  thankfully i've got a few trips planned this summer for weddings:  Jackson Hole and Boston.  so i should get some relief there, but fuck me.  i may need to schedule a few more trips just so i don't have to do all of my long runs here.  i've got family in San Diego.  may need to go out there for a few weeks.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:21 AM, Jive Turkey said:

anybody else training for any fall marathons right now?  i've got a marathon in October.  i'm in week 4 of training.  this might kill me.  i'm out the door before the sun comes up on most days and it's still oppressive.  i've done some 7 and 8 mile runs on the treadmill because i just can't deal with the heat every day.  thankfully i've got a few trips planned this summer for weddings:  Jackson Hole and Boston.  so i should get some relief there, but fuck me.  i may need to schedule a few more trips just so i don't have to do all of my long runs here.  i've got family in San Diego.  may need to go out there for a few weeks.

The one and only full marathon I did was the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington D.C. in October, 2002.  Training in Austin for that race was awful.  I remember doing a half marathon sometime in July - it started a couple hours before the sun came up and still sucked.  Good luck to you!

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm doing NYC in November and did Boston last October which both required summer training. I started my NYC build early this year (back in May), and I agree it's pretty brutal, but training in this weather provides huge dividends come race day. Believe it or not, your body does get acclimated to the heat. It typically takes a few weeks. You won't be able to hit your desired paces, but it does get a little more bearable the more you do it. Make sure you're taking salt as well. I usually take at least one salt tab before any workout run or run longer than 10 miles.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm undecided on a full marathon, but I have two half marathons queued up.  One at the end of July in New Braunfels and (possibly) one in early October in Australia.   If those go well, I'm eyeing the full Rock-and-Roll marathon in San Antonio.    Since the Half Marathon in July is looking like it will be around 77 degrees at the start and will be mid-80's two hours later, I've been training in the heat of the day.    

For what it's worth, stuff I've learned about running in the heat:

• Focus on hydration. There are tables on the internet that estimate how much water you loose every mile at various temperatures.  At 100 degrees, you loose about 8.5 oz of water per mile.    I have to plan my routes out to know where I'll get water.   Starting at mile 2, I plan on drinking 10 oz per mile.  I carry a 20 oz water bottle, so I do a lot of runs that loop around a park that has a known water fountain.    I noticed that the first warning sign, for me, when I'm getting dehydrated, is one of my knee start getting sore; I now watch for that. 
  • There really are no real-time thermometers available for exercise, but heart rate is a really good proxy for core temperature.   Everybody has different limits, but dehydration leads to overheating which leads to a spike in heart rate; knowing that and watching your HR allows you to manage that.
  • I don't know if it's just me, or applies to everyone, but I reach hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) faster when running in heat.  The Internet suggests that typical adults running will use all their available blood sugar in about an hour, after that, your body has to start burning fat which is less efficient.  The most common solution is gels.   I like the GU brand and typically start them after about 45 minutes of running in the heat and then every 30 minutes after that.  You need to take those with a bunch of water.    Most running gels have electrolytes as well, which as someone upthread mentions, are essential as well.        

Training for a full marathon on a treadmill sounds more brutal to me that running in the heat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Second all of the above with a couple caveats. Everyone needs a different amount of water when running over the summer. It all depends on your conditioning and how much you sweat. Personally speaking, I'd be way too bloated if I were consuming 10 ounces per mile.

And when it comes to gels, they are much better at replacing calories but less effective at replacing electrolytes, hence the need for salt tabs in the summer or basically whenever you sweat a bunch. The other word of caution with gels is that you have to test a bunch to make sure they're compatible with your gut. GUs are notoriously hard on the gut. I've experimented with a bunch (GU, Huma, Honey Stinger, Clif Bloks, Hammer) but ultimately settled on Maurten which are just fantastic. They taste great and go down easy. You can also go the drink mix route which is great pre-run or during. I highly recommend Maurten once again, Tailwind, nuun, or Skratch.     

• immamac changed the title to Running / Triathlon Thread