Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

26 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Honestly I was being a smart ass with the metal zone.

What kind of music does he play? Or like?

Yeah kind of figured that when I googled it.  Mostly rock from the 80s and 90s. He started listening to Pantera recently and seems to like them.

2 hours ago, CoachTex said:

So I have a question for Surly.  My son has just started playing guitar and has expressed interest in adding a pedal. I have no clue about pedals and would love some advice.  What would be the first pedal you would add for a reasonable price?  He is playing an epiphone sg with a fender frontman 15g amp.

36153852.BossSG1.jpg

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Boss SD-1 would be another way to go. 

Someone threw on of those in on a trade years ago. It has some "acid blues" mod, that is supposed to be some Wampler mod. I couldn't tell you what the difference would be between it and an unmodded one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No that’s a Yamaha. The box is a gator case with a place for the mixer on top and 4u rack space below. I have a shelf in there that pulls out where all the pedals sit and below that is just a pull out drawer for cords, tambourine, can of Off, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:34 PM, CoachTex said:

Yeah kind of figured that when I googled it.  Mostly rock from the 80s and 90s. He started listening to Pantera recently and seems to like them.

two pedals for that, one, a boss ds-1 distortion pedal as others have recommended.  but i would also get him a compressor pedal as well.  boss has a good one, the mxr one is a standard issue as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Goredho said:

Moar.  And not just guitar related.  May need it’s own thread.

had i actually been able to take photos through the tour, i would have completely overwhelmed a new thread with pix.  it was a very cool tour but they make you turn off and lock pouch your phone for the majority of the tour including his editing room, the two major recording studio rooms and control rooms...as well as all the guitars (including his favorite tele with the leopard style pickguard and the white cloud guitar).  i found that to be a bit annoying and i'm not sure why they found it necessary but it is what it is.  they didn't unlock the pouches until we got to the enormous soundstage/venue that he had out there which was wild.  that's where i got the above.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, sidis said:

had i actually been able to take photos through the tour, i would have completely overwhelmed a new thread with pix.  it was a very cool tour but they make you turn off and lock pouch your phone for the majority of the tour including his editing room, the two major recording studio rooms and control rooms...as well as all the guitars (including his favorite tele with the leopard style pickguard and the white cloud guitar).  i found that to be a bit annoying and i'm not sure why they found it necessary but it is what it is.  they didn't unlock the pouches until we got to the enormous soundstage/venue that he had out there which was wild.  that's where i got the above.

Tell Prince’s family I said they can suck it!  Glad you got to see it all, though.

I’m sure they think if you took pics none of us would feel the need to go. I’m also sure they don’t get that seeing pics inspires people to go.

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Where’s the fun in that

Oh, I’ve got more fx than I know what to do with, it’s just all digital signal processing with no cables involved outside of running some IO between my Helix and my amps.

At this point I don’t really need the full Helix and may drop it for a Helix HX Fx.  $600 more or less for what would be thousands invested in the real counterparts (klon centaur, etc...).

Full effects list here if anyone is interested.

https://dshowmusic.com/line-6-helix-effect-models/

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

Help!

I want to start a pedal board. What’s one that I can buy that will have the electronics included and is easy to fuck with? I’m a good player, but am new to the board scene. Mostly have played acoustic or electrics through amps with just a wah pedal. I also used to own one of those multi pedal things but those suck.

so I need the board and a few pedal suggestions. I have a tube screamer and wah already. Def want a delay and tuner pedal soon. 

11 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Help!

I want to start a pedal board. What’s one that I can buy that will have the electronics included and is easy to fuck with? I’m a good player, but am new to the board scene. Mostly have played acoustic or electrics through amps with just a wah pedal. I also used to own one of those multi pedal things but those suck.

so I need the board and a few pedal suggestions. I have a tube screamer and wah already. Def want a delay and tuner pedal soon. 

Pedaltrain and a power supply that will velcro or otherwise attach to the underside of it (or go even simpler and get a 1Spot and daisy chain your pedals unless you have a particularly hungry digital pedal).  I'm a fan of smaller boards; so I have a Nano and a Nano+. And since I got them to replace a PT3, I only have used the Nano.  4 seems to be plenty of pedals in ordinary "play out with others" scenarios.

I realize you mentioned electronics included, but Pedaltrain is simple, and simple is better.  The pedals are the electronics after all. 

https://pedaltrain.com/

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 11/3/2021 at 12:24 PM, dcbc said:

Pedaltrain and a power supply that will velcro or otherwise attach to the underside of it (or go even simpler and get a 1Spot and daisy chain your pedals unless you have a particularly hungry digital pedal).  I'm a fan of smaller boards; so I have a Nano and a Nano+. And since I got them to replace a PT3, I only have used the Nano.  4 seems to be plenty of pedals in ordinary "play out with others" scenarios.

I realize you mentioned electronics included, but Pedaltrain is simple, and simple is better.  The pedals are the electronics after all. 

https://pedaltrain.com/

I agree with PedalTrain.  I bought a two-tiered Holey Board and really thought I would like it.  It turned out to be a huge PITA when I had to move it to practice or to go play.  Plus, the holes aren't big enough to run cables through an while it might sound OK to use zip ties to hold down cables instead of velcro, it is not.  HUGE PITA.  Looks bad and it just isn't easy to do.   I still have it and am thinking about making it a permanent board in my basement, but it will never leave the house. 

I now just use a Nano+ and it completely fits my needs.  I have one pedal I swap out, depending on which group I'm playing with but the other 4 stay consistent.  I also built a rack cabinet with 2 power supplies, a slide out table for pedals and a drawer for supplies.  I put that Nano+ on top so I don't have to squat down to adjust things. Also, my interface sits on top.  That cabinet is probably the smartest thing I've done.   I'll post a picture a bit later.  

I would like to find that same Gator case that @tbone_  has.  Right now my mixer is on a stand-alone stand and I'm really not happy with that set up. 

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 2

Any of you degenerates in Austin looking to build a pedal board?

I have two old ones to get rid of.

Small velcro one that still has a DC Brick and a quartermaster (lets you make loops so that you are turning multiple pedals on and off at once) -- both already mounted on there.  You'd be way ahead of the DIY game. 

Also a bigger hardshell suitcase with a power strip mounted to bottom.

Make me a semi-reasonable offer.

IMG-3360.jpg

IMG-3362.jpg

IMG-3363.jpg

IMG-3364.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

The boy had started playing his guitar again.  The other night, through the ceiling, I hear him working out Voodoo Chile (Slight Return).  But since he's just using an Epiphone LP Special into a Vox AC10, there's obviously a critical component missing.  Good dad that I am, I got on Reverb to hunt for a little stocking stuffer.  I shot off an offer for a used Crybaby.  $30 delivered to my door and he's actually going to be surprised about one of his Christmas gifts for once.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2