Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

10 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I could try that, but it’s on my pedal board so it would be a pain in the ass if it has run in battery. 

Right.  But if it's a power jack or cable issue, you could fix or replace it.  Just trying to hunt down the problem.  Also, try swapping out patch cables to and from that pedal.  I've had more than a few go bad without rhyme or reason. 

I had an old 70s Small Stone.  I recall its being pretty flaky.  But it sounded great when it worked.  I eventually sold it and got one of the MXR sized versions of the SS.

Now, as for volume drop, I'm pretty sure that's a feature of Electro-Harmonix time-shift-type pedals.  Even my new SS recreates that "feature."

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, NoRagrets said:

I ordered one of these and will probably just replace the chorus pedal with it for my show this weekend. 

Did you try this? My bass player who also plays guitar got it and returned it. Said it just kinda did it’s own thing. I was disappointed because I wanted to get one. Would love to know your opinion 

On 12/7/2022 at 9:29 PM, NoRagrets said:

I ordered one of these and will probably just replace the chorus pedal with it for my show this weekend. 

I see the word tremolo on there, but that doesn't even sound like a familiar chop style tremolo in that demo.  Maybe I need to watch more, but it doesn't seem tremendously useful at first glance.

So far I’ve only had time to briefly play three of them so far. I love the Pinwheel. It really nails the Leslie sound. The C9 doesn’t seem as versatile as I’d hoped but perhaps putting it through the Twin rather than a Princeton will open it up more.

The Archer I just barely had time to touch before I had to run. The Wampler I haven’t plugged in yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's the pedal thread's version of those dudes dropping that OG Les Paul and the 60s Strats in the guitar thread. Was this a coordinated effort to drop unobtanium all over the forum?

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dig it.  I won’t ever be in @Horn Dogg’s financial league of what I could or would financially commit to gear, but I like being able to ogle and question in such a small setting.  I kind of see it as the gear discussion equivalent of catching a big name musician in a small club setting.

• Hook 'Em 2

The current meager herd. I have a Katana but it’s much more complicated to find the pedal you want than I’d like. You have to hook it to a computer. The Spark is fun but it’s very digital sounding as well as very small.

1c33f6872dcfa9d4fb54de03115a3fb4.jpg

I think I need to dump the Katana and get more pedals.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Goredho said:

I dig it.  I won’t ever be in @Horn Dogg’s financial league of what I could or would financially commit to gear, but I like being able to ogle and question in such a small setting.  I kind of see it as the gear discussion equivalent of catching a big name musician in a small club setting.

I used to say the same thing…..then I got hooked!

15 hours ago, BoomMF said:

That's the pedal thread's version of those dudes dropping that OG Les Paul and the 60s Strats in the guitar thread. Was this a coordinated effort to drop unobtanium all over the forum?

Doesn’t everyone on Surly have $1 billion, fuck playboy playmates and own a 59 Les Paul?

• Hook 'Em 2

Doesn’t everyone on Surly have $1 billion, fuck playboy playmates and own a 59 Les Paul?

Yes. But we can’t all afford Klon Centaurs.
The current meager herd. I have a Katana but it’s much more complicated to find the pedal you want than I’d like. You have to hook it to a computer. The Spark is fun but it’s very digital sounding as well as very small.

1c33f6872dcfa9d4fb54de03115a3fb4.jpg

I think I need to dump the Katana and get more pedals.

What’s the green one better the wah and the delay?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, G650 said:

If you have a DD3 and some flavor of compressor you will never need anything else.

If I could only have one pedal, it would be a looper.

And now that I think about it, I only have one (physical) pedal, and it’s a looper.  About to upgrade it, probably to one of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1440Looper--electro-harmonix-1440-stereo-looper-pedal

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have all sorts of pedals. I always end up just playing straight into the amp. 

Same here

I’ve got an Amplified Nation Wonderland Overdeive (dumble clone) coming in this weekend.  It’s got a master volume and supposedly killer OD channel.  If it’s all it’s cracked up to be I my never need pedals.

Edited by Horn Dogg
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Deej said:

I have all sorts of pedals. I always end up just playing straight into the amp. 

That's me ever since I raised a tweed amp army.  But it's really more of a factor of wanting to play and not wanting to hook things up.  I really like pedals and regretted the one time I played out with a tweed Deluxe and no drive or boost to kick it up a notch when I needed it.  Lesson:  if you don't have a boost, turn the amp up and your guitar volume knob down for sound check.  Otherwise, bring a drive pedal.  They make everything better.  I always forget that part.

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That's me ever since I raised a tweed amp army.  But it's really more of a factor of wanting to play and not wanting to hook things up.  I really like pedals and regretted the one time I played out with a tweed Deluxe and no drive or boost to kick it up a notch when I needed it.  Lesson:  if you don't have a boost, turn the amp up and your guitar volume knob down for sound check.  Otherwise, bring a drive pedal.  They make everything better.  I always forget that part.

sounds like someone's about to buy a klon.  if horn dogg isn't bullshitting above about never using pedals, he should be willing to part with it for someone who will actually use it for a very fair price.

• Haha 1

Just now, sidis said:

sounds like someone's about to buy a klon.  if horn dogg isn't bullshitting above about never using pedals, he should be willing to part with it for someone who will actually use it for a very fair price.

Nope.  I've got all the drives I need or want.  Too many, probably.  But a question for the Klon folks: my understanding is that you basically never want to have the drive knob set above all the way down on them.  If so, what's up with that?

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

Well, I do use the Klon whenever I want to really crank it up or show my friends what a Klon sounds like.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

You can always just crank everything up and go balls to the wall.  I have a 5 watt champ for that!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

You can always just crank everything up and go balls to the wall.  I have a 5 watt champ for that!

I guess my question was, are they really better as boosts than they are as overdrives?  That was my experience with my old Prince of Tone, which had a killer boost setting, but didn't really do it for me as a drive pedal.  Back in the 90s, I used to have one of those MXR micro amps, which really was a lovely boost or overall tone enhancer. 

I mean, obviously, there has to be a reason people are paying thousands of dollars for these things.  But people are paying stupid money for Ibanez TS10s.  And having owned one of those, I can't see (1) why or (2) how any of the footswitches still work on those cheaply made pedals.

1 minute ago, G650 said:

I've genuinely tried over the years to find a use for drive pedals, but everytime come back to preferring amps. The closest I ever got, which I currently have is a tubescreamer as a preset EQ.

In the wake of the boutique revolution, the humble Tubescreamer really doesn't get enough credit.  They do so much so well.  And I laugh when people say they don't sound good on already mid-voiced tweed amps.  In a band setting, I don't think I can have enough mids when I need to be heard in the mix. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s my all time favorite song and probably favorite to play. Are you referring to needing a wah or something else?

Right.  You cannot play that song with just a compressor and a delay.  You need a wah.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Right.  You cannot play that song with just a compressor and a delay.  You need a wah.

The wah is upfront obviously, but I don't think it's intrinsic to the sound of that song at all. You don't need compressor or delay either. You just need a Strat and couple hundred watt amps dimed that are distorting the speakers and singeing the microphone. Blue Cheer's Summertime Blues essentially the same sound.

• Like 1

My drive pedals off the top of my head: 

1983 TS9 (this is one of the later ones that had a Panasonic chip in it).  It sounded good, but I got the analog man 808 vintage mod with an old JRC4558D, and it sounds absolutely divine now.

Reissue TS808 with Analogman Silver mod.  This one isn't quite so mid humped and sounds a bit more "hifi."

Timmy V2.  Almost always the last drive in my chain.

Bearfoot Honey Bee.  I need to play with this one more.  I still haven't figured out how best to use it.

Barber Gain Changer.  This is a good one.  Plays really well with everything. 

Catalinbread SFT.  This actually is an Ampeg in the box foundation.  But it's a great drive, particularly in front of my low power tweed twin for instant 70s Stones.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

The wah is upfront obviously, but I don't think it's intrinsic to the sound of that song at all. You don't need compressor or delay either. You just need a Strat and couple hundred watt amps dimed that are distorting the speakers and singeing the microphone. Blue Cheer's Summertime Blues essentially the same sound.

It was just a snarky response to your original post about only needing a compressor and delay; the exception that proves the rule (as much as I hate that expression).  That song is the intro.  Sure, you could launch into the song without playing the intro or play the intro without the wah, but why would you?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

It was just a snarky response to your original post about only needing a compressor and delay; the exception that proves the rule (as much as I hate that expression).  That song is the intro.  Sure, you could launch into the song without playing the intro or play the intro without the wah, but why would you?

Ha.

Yeah I guess that's why our opinion differs. I think the intro sounds fine without a wah, it's really more about feel. But besides that, the only part of the song that I think matters is when the main riff kicks in and everyone's speakers start melting. That's essentially the acme of Jimi Hendrix at that moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

1983 TS9 (this is one of the later ones that had a Panasonic chip in it).  It sounded good, but I got the analog man 808 vintage mod with an old JRC4558D, and it sounds absolutely divine now.

Reissue TS808 with Analogman Silver mod.  This one isn't quite so mid humped and sounds a bit more "hifi."

Bearfoot Honey Bee.  I need to play with this one more.  I still haven't figured out how best to use it.

Catalinbread SFT.  This actually is an Ampeg in the box foundation.  But it's a great drive, particularly in front of my low power tweed twin for instant 70s Stones.

Yeah my one pedal is the Maxon OD808, with the JRC chip.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ha.

Yeah I guess that's why our opinion differs. I think the intro sounds fine without a wah, it's really more about feel. But besides that, the only part of the song that I think matters is when the main riff kicks in and everyone's speakers start melting. That's essentially the acme of Jimi Hendrix at that moment.

That's okay.  We can disagree.  I will say that another of the most essential bits about that song is playing the melody while you sing the verse.

Side note.  I bought my kid his first pedal, a wah, because I heard him playing the intro to VC/SR without one.  I was like, nah. 

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Yeah my one pedal is the Maxon OD808, with the JRC chip.

I always felt guilty because early 80s Ibanez TS and all.  But I only paid $99 for it, it's a NOS chip, and it sounds better.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Missing something

20160524_072541.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Ha.

The intro has never been played without a wah. It’s actually illegal.
  • Haha 1