Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

• 1 month later...

Fulltone Queen Bee, sweet !!!!

Also apparently there is a boycott of Fulltone pedals now because the owner made some non PC comment about the rioters after the George Floyd incident.

Guitar Center is dropping them and Reverb.com. Maybe you will be able to pick up some great deals on them.

20 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Fulltone Queen Bee, sweet !!!!

Also apparently there is a boycott of Fulltone pedals now because the owner made some non PC comment about the rioters after the George Floyd incident.

Guitar Center is dropping them and Reverb.com. Maybe you will be able to pick up some great deals on them.

That's an old story, and it is Guitar Center's spin after Fulltone dumped them after months of delinquent payments.

• 2 months later...

I did something cool with the Helix floorboard that would be very difficult to do with traditional pedals.  Basically at the start of the signal chain, I have a compressor and a pitch shift effect.  The compressor is maxed out as far as release and the pitch shift is +19, or a 5th above the octave.  I then map the mix of both effects to be controlled by the Helix expression pedal with the pitch shift limited to a min of 10% and a max of 60%.  What this does is allow me to control sustain and feedback with the expression pedal and achieve an effect with the guitar that's a lot like an ebow or sustainiac pickup.

Screen-Shot-2021-02-04-at-9-59-30-AM.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A further statement of the power of this feature that I'm just scratching the surface of:

Imagine every amp and pedal that you own, and every knob on every one of them that can be turned from 1-10, and being given the ability to turn one, some or all of them from 1-10 with a rocker pedal in real time while you are playing the guitar with your hands.

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, that's too much. I'm good with the guitar straight in to the amp. My pedals collect dust.

I get stressed out with too many options on the amp. 

That's fair.  I like the power and ability to create something more or less different to my ears.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Clean amp. 1 pedal for dirt. Volume knob. That’s all I can handle.

But that helix shit does sound cool.

Buddy of mine brought this over the other day

d5f949cbcb48eb59ab92f5c2dc995d78.jpg

Not sure what all it was but he got some really cool sounds out of it.

Yeah, the Helix has a learning curve, but since it is modeling real shit, whatever knowledge you have about pedals mostly just transfers over.   Like the virtual compressor has an attack, decay, ratio and knee type settings which would be knobs on a real-world counterpart.  The Klon Centaur overdrive model has virtual gain, tone and level knobs.  etc...

On 2/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, Deej said:

Yeah, that's too much. I'm good with the guitar straight in to the amp. My pedals collect dust.

I get stressed out with too many options on the amp. 

I've got lots of pedals, but I'm straight into the amp most times at home.  When I play with other people (remember that), I don't take more than four pedals since my boards are of the Pedaltrain Nano variety.  I also have a "no more than four knobs" rule on pedals because I hate twiddling much.  There is, of course, one exception:

xz3mwocsij7ahszkwtmf.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I almost bought an amp the other day because it only had two knobs.

I had one built a couple of years ago.  There's a lot to be said for just volume and tone and focusing on playing the guitar.  Of course, those 3 inputs each are different animals.  You could pop a switcher into them and have drive channels.

My 1x12 Harvard reproduction.

10-Finished-Amp-Rear-Guts.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

I had one built a couple of years ago.  There's a lot to be said for just volume and tone and focusing on playing the guitar.  Of course, those 3 inputs each are different animals.  You could pop a switcher into them and have drive channels.

My 1x12 Harvard reproduction.

10-Finished-Amp-Rear-Guts.jpg

My version is the Fender EC Vibro Champ.  Really love it.

qlwfb8gsooqcmpuk74ce.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this new web-based pedal demo system made by some European music shop.  Somehow, they figured out how to solder 150 pedals into a rack system that connects up to their server and allows each one to be demo'ed on their site.  Also, you can upload your own riff to try them out.  I'm pretty blown away by how they pulled it off.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/stompenberg_devices.html

• 1 month later...

Anyone have ideas on where to buy or how to make a pedal board small enough that it only fits one pedal? Just bought a Peterson strobe tuner pedal and want something to put it on that will just keep it from moving around and foot space is kind of at a premium where we typically play.

32 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Anyone have ideas on where to buy or how to make a pedal board small enough that it only fits one pedal? Just bought a Peterson strobe tuner pedal and want something to put it on that will just keep it from moving around and foot space is kind of at a premium where we typically play.

Silicone sticky pads for the bottom to keep it from sliding?  Maybe just a wood base with rubber feet? For just one pedal, I don't know that I would mess with a whole board. Or you could just go with:

059137AA-7CBF-4276-95D2-9E93CEE2F8F5_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by topochico

On 4/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, tbone_ said:

Maybe go to Home Depot and get a free sample of vinyl plank flooring, just about the right size and nice looking, has rubbery underlay applied.

I bought this recently as a knee-jerk response to a limited release. I thought, hey even if I'm not crazy about the thing I'll be able to sell it for more than I bought it for. I have yet to understand how everything works - there are 6 knobs, 4 toggles, two footswitches, and 16 dip switches. Shit is fun though.

Chase Bliss Audio Bliss Factory - YouTube

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

I bought this recently as a knee-jerk response to a limited release. I thought, hey even if I'm not crazy about the thing I'll be able to sell it for more than I bought it for. I have yet to understand how everything works - there are 6 knobs, 4 toggles, two footswitches, and 16 dip switches. Shit is fun though.

Chase Bliss Audio Bliss Factory - YouTube

looks fun

Interesting idea.

As a side note, I used the tuner for our gig Friday night and it didn’t work for shit. Wouldn’t identify any of the strings correctly. Which was weird because it worked perfectly at home. So I played with a $130 kill switch pedal.

On the bright side it didn’t move around.

• Hook 'Em 1

I need another phaser like I need a hole in my head, but this is what I have been waiting for someone to do for years, ever since I sold my Maestro MP-1.  I'll just need a "Balls" sticker to put over the "Depth" knob label (Yes, I realize it's a different era of Maestro).

MG_6936_grande.jpg?v=1614975106

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I’m about to be on the less is more train. I thought I would love the Katana because it has every Boss pedal ever made trapped inside, but I just find it too hard to use. I don’t want to have to hook up a laptop to my amp to find sounds that I like. I might be more inclined to do something via an app on my phone, but it seems like only the practice amps do that (Katana Air, Spark).

I think a simple pedalboard with tuner, OD, wah and some sort of phaser/flanger should suffice. Maybe a delay. Oh and a looper. Should probably add a fuzz and compressor.

Godammit

• Hook 'Em 1