Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

1 hour ago, Grandioso said:

NAMM tease

This looks freaking sweet. If I understand this correctly, Dunlop owns the Uni-Vibe brand/trademark but this company, who designed the original, still makes their own version. They just can't call it a "Uni-Vibe." Beware: this is going to be expensive AF.

This excites me.  

More amp/line selector overload. 

6iCgzFFPU4a2xex7yHkQQB-970-80.jpg

Morley has announced new Pro versions of its ABC and ABY switchers.

The Pro versions have been designed to be used as switchers for multiple amps, and feature a ground-lift switch to reduce hum.

They also come with taller enclosures for easier access on pedalboards, custom Ebtech transformers, silent switching and reverse polarity switches.

The ABY Pro and ABC Pro are available now for $199 and $279, respectively.

Pretty cool, but Radial makes these things with all the bells and whistles. Radial Twin City ABY is $169.00 and they make two other versions for $99.00.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYOxDMaZPSicFW_yHIL

The Radial Switchbone ABY/C is comprable to that Morley ABC, but a little less expensive ($20 or so).

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSScSslEriZmmOQAq7ex

Regardless, I trust Morley's products are top notch.

Uh, ok.

The "RAT Tail Distortion Cable"

Built using the same clipping diodes that drive Vintage RAT pedals’ signature distortion tones, the new RAT Tail distortion cable offers guitarists and bassists an alternative solution for achieving audio effects. Musicians can shift seamlessly between settings with the connector’s easily accessible dial and built-in, directly selectable distortion circuitry. The RAT Tail distortion cable comes equipped with three settings, including true bypass, distortion overdrive with unity gain and distortion overdrive (+3dB gain).

RAT Tail Distortion cable

• Distortion effect circuitry built into the connector 
  • Same clipping Diodes using in Vintage RAT Distortion pedals 
  • 2 Ranges of distortion, selectable right on the connector 
  • (Position 1 is True ByPass) 
  • Batteries - Uses (2) "Siver-Oxide" Type 397
Model Description
RAT TAIL-10 10 FOOT
RAT TAIL-18 18 FOOT
RAT TAIL-25 25 FOOT

The Brits and Europeans are dominating winter NAMM.

This sounds kinda badass. Definitely has the Marshall tone nailed (like 10,000 other pedals), but it's supposed to behave like the actual amp - not just sound like it. It's also got some boost and fuzz circuits for some creative/unique ideas.

jKwQoskCyXng2xckZdK3kW-650-80.jpg

You can hear the AC/DC. The sound stays faithful even when he plugs it into the Fender DeVille. More of a Plexi sound  than a Brown sound, but that's cool. 

Cheekily touted as "a vintage 4-input Marshall in a box", Loud'n Proud replicates a complete amp signal path, incorporating not only the preamp but also the power amp with phase inverter, push-pull stage, and output transformer simulation, apparently aping not only the sound, but the behaviour of a real amp.

The pedal's moderate amount of gain "is what led us to adding a boost/fuzz to this medium gain overdrive circuit," says designer Jyrki Rahkola.

The pre-boost can push up to 13dB, which adds extra gain, while slightly thickening the midrange, and the fuzz is designed to work like a vintage germanium stage. 

"The vintage germanium fuzz + Marshall Plexi is a classic tone combination that we absolutely wanted to include to the Loud'n Proud pedal!" adds Mad Prof CEO Harri Koski.

Finally, there's also a switch for two distinct voicings, with tighter bass and slightly compressed tone on the left, and looser bass including maximum dynamics on the right.

Looks like it's gonna cost about $250.00.

MOAR January 2019 pedals 

electro-harmonix-sovtek-deluxe-big-muff-

I'm an EHX believer, but there's like 4+ Big Muffs that I'm sure would suit me just fine. This is knob crazy. $150.00 isn't a crazy price though.

For example, what's wrong with these badass little units: 

Although, I will say the Metal Muff sounds amazing AF.

death-by-audio-total-sonic-annihilation-

I would litereally never use this.

fuzzrocious-heliotropic@1400x1050-696x52

Sounded better on the bass demos I heard than the guitar ones.

crazy-tube-circuits-falcon@1400x1050-696

Ok, be my guest and be 1,000th outfit to try and do a '55 Deluxe (or '57 Deluxe or '59 Deluxe).

The '61 brownface setting is interesting but the thing just doesn't have enough growl and spit. My Blues Driver can do Neil better than this thing. 

rocket-surgeon-ice-caves-ambient-reverb@

Pleasant sounding but I'm not sure how much I'd use it. $200.00. Get an EHX Grand Canyon or an EQD Avalanche Run instead.

dirty-haggard-audio-death-fuzz@1400x1050

You had me at "DEATH FUZZ." Weird sounding but at least you won't sound like anyone else.

Dirty Haggard Audio has entered the fray with the DH-2 Death Fuzz, which is inspired by the rare made-in-Japan Shin-ei Companion FY-2. The brand’s first pedal, however, features a handy noise gate that solves the FY-2’s notoriously loud noise floor

electro-harmonix-flatiron-fuzz@1400x1050

A modded RAT2 knockoff. Wouldn't be surprised if it beats the RAT with the extra features and circuitry. $72.00 - why the F not.

electro-harmonix-nano-battalion@1400x105

Some crazy bass thing I don't understand. 

analogue bass preamp/OD pedal. Designed with the popular MOSFET drive circuit, this compact unit can serve up a wide range of grinding bass tones.

A standout feature of the Nano Battalion is the inclusion of a three-band EQ with three EQ positions for added customisability. 

joyo-omb-looper-drum-machine@1400x1050.j

40 minute drum looper for $109.00. Worth a risk. 

Bold claims from NAMM 2019:

NAMM 2019: Tsakalis Audio Works may have just devised the quintessential boutique overdrive pedal

The "Six" comes from these 6 modes: two overdrives, two distortions, one overdrive-distortion blend, and a booster. "B.O.D." just stands for boost, OD, distortion. And here's the manufacturer's very high opinion of itself: 

A fully analog Booster-Overdrive-Distortion (B.O.D.), designed to deliver the great tones and feel found in the Timmy™, BluesBreaker™ and KOT™ pedals, with added touch sensitivity and overall more natural sound, due to our brand new cap-less technology®!

Q. Who the fuck is Tsakalis Audio Works? A. Some Greek company

If it lives up to its hype, it might not be a bad deal.

Timmy V2: $129.00 + potential long ass wait time

BluesBreaker: $89.99 new (most recent BB-2 model which seems discontinued or something in the US); $185-380 for the 90's era model.

King of Tone V4: STARTS at $265.00 + has a literal multi-year wait time. If you got on the wait list for a KOT V4 in October 2016 shortly before Trump was elected president, your KOT is shipping this month. You can snag one sooner on the secondary market for $400.00-$500.00

• Like 2

Well, hello. Here's a fun little reissue.

teaser-hero.jpg

TEASER STALLION

LIMITED EDITION (2019)

The Catalinbread Teaser Stallion is an old distortion favorite capable of being a tame horse or a lust pent beast. With four controls and two modes, there's plenty of range for anyone, especially when the feedback loop is engaged, which also interacts with the volume and tone on your guitar changing the sounds you're capable of making. 

The Teaser Stallion has two modes. The first features dirt, ranging from mellow overdrive to blistering distortion. The timbre control allows for that distortion to be deep and guttural or high and singing. Flip the toggle and the Teaser will start oscillating. The feedback loop thickens your tone, adds a unique texture to your sound, and even functions as a controllable synth. In oscillation mode the Feedback, Timbre, and Distortion controls, all govern the pitch and ferocity of the Teaser Stallion, but as an extension of this pedals aggression, is also effected by the volume and tone controls on your guitar, as well as pick up selection, note bending, etc. 

This pedal turns heads, offends traditionalists (and cats), but most importantly open doors to truly unique sounds and creative possibility. 

Quick aside: Who the FUCK is this non-Andy doing this demo?

Doesn't really seem necessary, as there are now more delay pedals than there are grains of sand on a beach. But the Supro Tremolo pedal was/is badass, so maybe this thing will sound awesome and different too. It's all-analog but has some low-or-band pass filter features to brighten it up, which is very interesting to me. Also, no way the dude that was behind the Memory Man and Pigtronix's most insane delay unit wouldn't come up with something cool. 

I want to go to Guitar Center and mess with this right now.

Whoa. Bud Ross' grandson is remaking the original Ross compressor. (And the Ross distortion too but who gives AF). 

I thought I'd read somewhere that the original Keeley was a perfect Ross clone. I've also read (per JHS and Analogman) that the Ross is just a subtly modified Dyna Comp. Curious to see how this sells and what people think about it. If they want to be period authentic, it needs to loudly hiss at all times. 

Preorders being taken now and it's less than a month wait. $225 price tag.

These will be in high demand just because of how many legends used them and did so on legendary recordings. I want to say Trey Anastasio uses like two of the 1970's originals. A cool product but just for fun collecting purposes.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a cheap way to get an organ should out of pedal(s).  Mooer made a cheap one a few years ago, but they only made one run of them before they got sued.  The single-use pedals are good,  (EHX B9 or C9) but if I can do it with pedal combos I already have, I can spend money elsewhere.  The B9 and C9 are around $220.  

I saw a dude use a Mooer Octave pedal in combination with some kind of rotary pedal to make a believable enough sound.  I have a Boss Harmonizer and a couple of modulation type pedals that might work.    I've seen a couple of demos on youtube, but curious if anyone else has spent any time with this. 

NAMM 2019: Get your shit in tune, bro

I already posted about the tuner that pedaltrain is releasing, but here are two other models dropping:

Ernie Ball

"Yep. We did it…we reengineered and reimagined our iconic volume pedal with an integrated high resolution tuner, graphic volume display, ultra durable Kevlar coated cord, and more,"

Peterson

The old Peterson/Conn Strobe/Strobostomps set the gold standard for modern tuning. If you have psychosis-level OCD about your tuning, accept no substitutes. Side note: the third time I saw Neil Young play I noticed he had five of them labeled E, A, D, G, B. Look under the drum kit. So baller.

neil-young-willie-neslon-potr-lucca-ital

ANYWAY, Peterson is dropping this:

KMMWij4QoUmbTieCdoUZQ7-970-80.jpg

The centrepiece of the StroboStomp HD is its large, high-definition LCD screen, which boasts a variable-colour LED backlight and is viewable in direct sunlight or stage lighting. A mammoth feature set includes true or buffered bypass, 100 ‘sweetened’ tunings, USB connectivity and 0.1-cent tuning accuracy.

And you can save tunings to different colors, whatever that means.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 2:37 PM, Grandioso said:

Whoa. Bud Ross' grandson is remaking the original Ross compressor. (And the Ross distortion too but who gives AF). 

I thought I'd read somewhere that the original Keeley was a perfect Ross clone. I've also read (per JHS and Analogman) that the Ross is just a subtly modified Dyna Comp. Curious to see how this sells and what people think about it. If they want to be period authentic, it needs to loudly hiss at all times. 

Preorders being taken now and it's less than a month wait. $225 price tag.

These will be in high demand just because of how many legends used them and did so on legendary recordings. I want to say Trey Anastasio uses like two of the 1970's originals. A cool product but just for fun collecting purposes.

That's pretty cool.  I just was thinking the other day that someone should buy the same and make the old gray comp (and the phaser and flanger).

Humblebrag, I only paid $60 for mine 22 years ago.

4y-R9lo-Qw-zs-I-K-Osome7-HSR-7tl-EKMbuur

• Like 3

Just ordered one of the Pedaltrain slim tuners posted above. Will give reviews when it comes in.

I'm building a small pedal board for my new Elvis/jazz thing. Experimenting with combinations now. I've never played an electric thru a PA so need something to add punch. Just need to find the right combination. Definitely need a boost or OD, tremolo, maybe a harmonizer, looper. Need to keep it at 5 pedals top so I bought a Pedaltrain Nano Plus.

Bummer about Mr. Dunlop.   Years ago, I was running a website for a high school soccer booster club.  That year, the boy's team was in the finals and when we go to the other stadium, their principal kept moving us around in the stadium and when we finally told him we weren't moving anymore, he threatened to call the police and have us removed.  We said, Fine...do it.   He threw a pre-K style fit, then stormed off but not after yelling at us for about an hour.   Our team won in extra time.  As we were sitting in the parking lot talking about the game (again, these are parents, not kids) he called the police and had them threaten us with trespassing.   The state athletic association got involved and the next year, both him and the AD were removed by the school district.  

But the parents continued to whine the next year about losing the game and how we (again, parents) wrecked their stadium, tore up fencing and apparently burned down several buildings on the campus (at least to hear them talk about it).   They whined on every bulletin board about soccer they could find. 

So, I had a page on our website dedicated to the State Championship game.  Pictures of the game but also of the principal and AD threatening us.  It was 'sponsored by' Jim Dunlop, complete with a picture of a Cry Baby pedal.  All of those parents were bitching and complaining to "this Dunlop guy."  They wanted to boycott his business but none of them could find him.   Our AD asked me who he was and how much money he gave us in sponsorship.  When I told him the story, he said, "Let's just keep this to ourselves."  

Pour one out for Jim.   And Starrs Mill High School can still suck it.    

• Like 4