Guitar Effect Pedalphile Thread

HornGrandioso

Saw a really badass bluegrass band on Thursday, the Lil Smokies. Two of the guys were using these preamps, which I'd never heard of. If you're in the market for a bells and whistles preamp for your acoustic guitar, upright, banjo, etc., these things sounded awesome.

71N+YOf7r+L._SX425_.jpg

STUDIO QUALITY INSTRUMENT PREAMPLIFIER / DI / EQ

Like its big sibling the FELiX, ALiX is built into the same roadworthy floor unit chassis, portable enough to throw in your bag or strap to your pedalboard, but still deliver studio quality sound to the stage. With the same stunning audio performance and legendary reliability as our pro audio range, ALiX brings open, musical and nuanced sonic character to any performance situation.

The same powerful eq section as the FELiX allows simple and intuitive tone shaping. The high pass filter cuts 12dB per octave from 20Hz to 1kHz, and can also be set as a notch filter for chasing down problem feedback or rumble areas. Parametric midrange covers from 70Hz all the way to 8KHz, and fixed low and high controls are carefully voiced for musical shading of bass and treble.

9999-17162-2__99463.1521499919.jpg?c=2&i

Once in a while I get an itch to try a cheapo vibe-type pedal, but it usually goes away after a while.

I was looking recently at the Moen Shaky Jimi, Nux Monterrey or the Amoon Kokko Vibe. They all sound pretty cool, but a little different. Not sure which sound I prefer or what I would even be going for.

I have six of them. They're 8 bucks. I'm too lazy to go to another room to grab one, and sometimes the batteries get low, and I'm too lazy to go for batteries. Moral of the story is I'm too lazy.

(I also leave one in my Tele and one in my LP case, so I know I'll have it with me.)

Edited by Deej

I bought this used for $40 from a dude on Craigslist. Man, this fucker is underpriced and underrated. $79.99 new. Kind of reminds me of a RAT but with additional range. I use more lo gain ODs almost exclusively but this shit is great for getting your classic rock, ACDC, Sabbath, Britishy-stack shit on.

It's basically a modded Distortion+ circuit is my understanding.

Edited by Grandioso
  • Like 1

Oh, I also bought Super Badass a couple weeks ago. I know a couple of you cats have that one.

This demo is genius. 8 of the MXR distortion/OD boxes and explanation of their circuits or what amps/players they are emulating. I like how they aren't shy about straight admitting that the GT-OD and Prime Distortion are modded TS and DS-1 clones. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

How do you like the super bad ass? I have one but haven’t used it much since I bought the La Grange. Which is the best Marshall I’ve ever played btw. emoji41.png

It kind of reminds me of the Fulltone Catalyst, which could give you like 20 different sounds from boost to OD to distortion to fuzz, but nothing really achieved a sound above "very good." It tries to do to much. Still, I'm keeping this thing for sure as it's a blast to play with and costs next to nothing. Also, tbone, I found your next OD.

KHDK-Electronics-Gary-Holt-Paranormal-Pa

39 minutes ago, sidis said:

random question for you pedal nuts...any of you guys happen to know what type of pedal gary clark jr is using to achieve the tone on the song pearl cadillac?

Are you talking about the FUZZ sound and not the lead guitar tone?  If so, he uses a Fulltone Octafuzz.

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Are you talking about the FUZZ sound and not the lead guitar tone?  If so, he uses a Fulltone Octafuzz. 

not the fuzz during the chorus, but the bridge and solos.  is that just guitar?

Edited by sidis

• 2 weeks later...