2019 Poker run gooder or die thread

AUS-97HORN

Man have I gone into a precipitous downturn starting a couple of weeks ago.  I had a great few weeks, then I just seem to have run into bad cards and bad decisions.  I think I'm making good reads and have really good hands at the time, and just keep getting beat.  It's like I'm just not seeing the board and opponents' ranges properly.  The worst part is that, looking back, I can't identify anything I'm really doing wrong; which makes it so difficult to figure out what to change.  I understand variance, and maybe this is just that, but I don't believe in coincidence and I'm the common denominator.  Thoughts/advice on how to generally change my play and/or approach while trying to get out of this funk?  What has worked for you guys in these situations?

I take lots of notes so I can look back at days where the results were really good and really bad to see what the hell I was doing those days.

Usually I find I’m either too loose on the bad days or I just got unlucky in a few sizable hands.

My particular weakness is -calling- too loose pre. All of those $20-30 call-miss-folds add up over the course of a session. This should not be confused with -opening- too loose, which I rarely do. In fact, on bad days I’m often not opening enough.

Take notes and be patient. You’ll need a fair amount of data for it to mean anything, but there’s two good times to plant a tree...

I think hand history discussions are the easiest way to track results/decision making.  If you are on a downturn, take extensive notes on your sessions.  Then post the relevant hand histories in here or discuss them in detail with really good poker playing friends.  It's' the best way to review your decision making.  

Look - we've all hit variance and have had some downswings.  The question is whether those downswings are mathematical variance or the result of leaks (like confidence = looser play preflop = tougher decisions when put to the test all-in) that always occur in everyone's game from time to time or they could honestly just be shitty plays on your part.  Hand histories at least give you some feedback.  Post in here or in the 2020 thread when it starts because I've learned from posts from TXSooner or Lurch in terms of how they view particular hands/plays and they both play differently at times.  The goal is that we all make each other better players.  We've all made shitty plays that in retrospect or in a discussion were total fuck ups.   It's how we learn.

• Like 1

I know Lurch addressed this somewhat on the previous page, but I want to dig a little deeper on the hand history.  How do some of you record your hand histories with such accuracy while playing? Looking for some techniques so I can come back with actual data rather than generalities.

Also, what are the best apps to track sessions, bankroll, etc?

Edited by Ifiwaspresident