Tesla

AeroHorn

I thought you said you couldn't go!  I was gonna help you around.  I wish I coulda gone, but family meeting tonight to plan the oldest's birthday party later this month.  Post any nudes you might see of the car models

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Musk’s electric 18 wheeler on display today

80007A4E-B74B-4CEE-93DF-69461776F9F6.jpeg

Seriously where the fuck has this been?  If we can get a ton of these out there it would help traffic on the interstate immensely. No more 100 yard gaps in front of semis because they will have instant torque and regenerative braking. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I thought you said you couldn't go!  I was gonna help you around.  I wish I coulda gone, but family meeting tonight to plan the oldest's birthday party later this month.  Post any nudes you might see of the car models

I didn’t go. Son texted me the pics, and these too:

02DCAB8A-7147-4AED-9FEA-44B60E28E9B3.jpeg

27CC4FD0-DB13-437E-9BDF-B118C82C9791.jpeg

32096EF8-697B-4C0C-A28D-D66A24E7FAB8.jpeg

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

1st min brings the lulz

I've been telling people for 5+ years that self driving car promises of this century are just like the flying car promises that started to be made in the 1950's.

However, the ultimate next level is AI robots to do manual labor; work from home for "white collar" jobs, Amazon prime + Uber eats, Oculus/Meta Quest system and you don't need a car because you won't have to go anywhere.

21 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I've been telling people for 5+ years that self driving car promises of this century are just like the flying car promises that started to be made in the 1950's.

However, the ultimate next level is AI robots to do manual labor; work from home for "white collar" jobs, Amazon prime + Uber eats, Oculus/Meta Quest system and you don't need a car because you won't have to go anywhere.

image.gif.3fd36ae7f058613dceba1190a90d873e.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Incredulity said:

1st min brings the lulz

I gotta hand it to him, as long as the suckers will keep giving him more and more money for his self driving feature (which isnt self driving), he might as well cash in. 

Tesla has increased the price of its Full Self-Driving Capability (FSD) package to $12,000 as previously announced last week.

Interestingly, it looks like the automaker decided not to increase the price of its FSD monthly subscription service.

CEO Elon Musk has made Tesla’s pricing strategy clear when it comes to FSD: Tesla is going to increase the price of the package as it introduces new features. But, since the package doesn’t actually do what the name says (which is for the vehicle to fully drive itself), people have criticized Tesla for increasing the price, which gradually went up to $10,000 in October of 2020.

The automaker has refrained from increasing the price since launching the Full Self-Driving Beta program, but Musk announced last week that Tesla will increase the price to $12,000 on January 17.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

I gotta hand it to him, as long as the suckers will keep giving him more and more money for his self driving feature (which isnt self driving), he might as well cash in. 

Yep, this is why I don't have that feature.  I knew it was years away.  Even more so than the actual driving technology for the individual cars, the wholesale infrastructure changes that will need to happen are decades away.  I think that you need the majority of cars to be "self-driving" to be able to have a consistent experience and the desired outcome.  There are WAY too many variables to have true and consistent self driving cars zipping around cities, not to mention rural areas.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, 4th&Five said:

Wife placed the order for her Model 3 today. I’m a bit jealous. 

This was originally scheduled for June delivery and now says October - January. May have to start looking at other options. Her Prius is on a quick decline. 

On 7/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, 4th&Five said:

This was originally scheduled for June delivery and now says October - January. May have to start looking at other options. Her Prius is on a quick decline. 

In laws ordered their Y last October. Finally arrived in June. That said, I purchased a minivan in January and it didn't arrive until June either. So, you're sorta fucked no matter what you buy unless you can find a car actually on a lot (and then your fucked by the price! Yay!). 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Anyone know if it’s possible to get a standalone power wall anywhere in TX?

I’ve already got solar and a Gen2 charger, but can’t seem to find the wall on its own…

I got mine directly from Tesla, but not as an install. Shipped to my garage and had them sitting there until an installer could do it. I'm not sure if Tesla still offers that. 

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Blotto said:

Fucking lulz. Wonder how much he will charge when the shit actually works?

He did the same thing with autopilot (one step below FSD). I didn’t have it on my 3 because I wanted technology to catch up, but when he announced the price was going up, I bit the bullet. I’m sure he’s doing the same thing here for people on the fence about FSD. It’s a marketing technique and it works well. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

He did the same thing with autopilot (one step below FSD). I didn’t have it on my 3 because I wanted technology to catch up, but when he announced the price was going up, I bit the bullet. I’m sure he’s doing the same thing here for people on the fence about FSD. It’s a marketing technique and it works well. 

But why? I don't understand the folks who are paying a big mark-up for what has been and continues to be vaporware. Tesla has been the king of overpromise and under deliver and people still fork over money for vaporware. It's quite remarkable.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

But why? I don't understand the folks who are paying a big mark-up for what has been and continues to be vaporware. Tesla has been the king of overpromise and under deliver and people still fork over money for vaporware. It's quite remarkable.

Because it does eventually live up to the hype and it's cheaper to adopt earlier.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Because it does eventually live up to the hype and it's cheaper to adopt earlier.

Eventually. That's the key word. By the time it lives up to the hype, you've already sold the car and moved on. So far Tesla has a really bad track record of delivering on autopilot, FSD, Cybertruck, Tesla Semi, new roadster, etc. Their track record on delivering on the hype is remarkably bad.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Eventually. That's the key word. By the time it lives up to the hype, you've already sold the car and moved on. So far Tesla has a really bad track record of delivering on autopilot, FSD, Cybertruck, Tesla Semi, new roadster, etc. Their track record on delivering on the hype is remarkably bad.

Well, they are generally about 3 years behind, in my experience.  I guess it depends on what kind of car owner you are.  I am on my 2nd car ever in my life and I just turned 40.  My wife's Tesla is a 2018 and I plan on having it for at least 10 more years at minimum.  The best part about Teslas are the OTA updates, which essentially keeps them as the newest version, aside from the physical outer shell.  So I guess we'll have to disagree.

53 minutes ago, royiv said:

As he already said "It’s a marketing technique and it works well".

If you look beyond a superficial level (headlines), you'll see the pace and logic with which things materialize.  There's no point to jump into an entirely new product line which has to scale, while you having existing ones (Model Y) that are not at their full production rate, and are still in-demand/sold-out globally.  The largest car market in America - California - has Tesla as its top 2 sellers this year, above RAV4, Corollas, Accords, Civics, F-series.  German factory is making 1 single vehicle line, and they're not making enough for European demands.

Texas is slated for Cybertruck production, but they're still trying to ramp up the new-generation batteries (4680) for Model Y.  The manufacturer of the industrial die cast machine supposedly has released/delivered the ones meant for Cybertruck.  Last week Tesla installed chargers and marked out charging lanes for the Semi.  Perhaps they'll release them in very limited numbers next year to drag the interest out.

When sales of S/X started to wane, the 3 filled in.  When the 3 steadied, the Y filled in.  That should go for a many more quarters until the CT, which is the 2nd largest segment in the US.  Their sales CAGR is unmatched in the industry and still projected that way for next few years, so you have to say there's logic to their product planning (vs marketing).

image.png.34415fea0c634e90e7cb159b5c235feb.png

15 hours ago, royiv said:

to be fair, it isn't vaporware technically since it actually exists

it's more like shitware at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, royiv said:

Autopilot has been a standard feature of every Tesla since the S and pretty much set the standard for traffic aware cruise control with autosteer. I think that one was delivered in spades. You're correct on the rest of your list, but you leave off the products they did deliver on (e.g., S, X, 3, Y). I would say the track record is decidedly mixed. 

Well, they are generally about 3 years behind, in my experience.  I guess it depends on what kind of car owner you are.  I am on my 2nd car ever in my life and I just turned 40.  My wife's Tesla is a 2018 and I plan on having it for at least 10 more years at minimum.  The best part about Teslas are the OTA updates, which essentially keeps them as the newest version, aside from the physical outer shell.  So I guess we'll have to disagree.

You’ll be limited by the life span of the battery. Which is what, 8 years or so?

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

You’ll be limited by the life span of the battery. Which is what, 8 years or so?

All data so far only shows degradation of batteries down to about 80% up to 500,000 miles.  That's with the Model 3 battery tech and I believe they have improved the next generation for Model Y.  Not sure if they've started producing cars with the new batteries yet though.  @Dahobbs?

Battery warranty is 8 years, which may be what you are thinking of.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

No, just no. That's the warranty period, not the life of the battery. Just like your car doesn't immediately fall apart at the end of your warranty period, neither does an EV battery. Modern packs with active thermal management (anything but Leafs at this point) will outlive the life of the car. There are Tesla packs out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. 

28 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

All data so far only shows degradation of batteries down to about 80% up to 500,000 miles.  That's with the Model 3 battery tech and I believe they have improved the next generation for Model Y.  Not sure if they've started producing cars with the new batteries yet though.  @Dahobbs?

Battery warranty is 8 years, which may be what you are thinking of.

They haven't actually started production with the newest 4680 packs as far as I know (they may just now be beginning pilot production). But there are other battery changes that have been incorporated over time. 

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

My wife needs wants a new car and has her mind made up on a Model Y.  I started looking at pricing vs other vehicles she was considering and it's not as expensive as I thought it would be.

Anyone taken delivery of a Y yet and have thoughts to share?

I have a 3 but contemplating replacing it with Y cuz baby stuff is starting to consume all the cargo volume.

The only thing holding it off is the notion that in ~12mo they'll have steady volumes of the Y Long Range/Performance based on 4680 batteries which also bring better structural and dynamic performance.  For now they are only available on the lower Standard trim with lower battery density.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I have a 3 but contemplating replacing it with Y cuz baby stuff is starting to consume all the cargo volume.

The only thing holding it off is the notion that in ~12mo they'll have steady volumes of the Y Long Range/Performance based on 4680 batteries which also bring better structural and dynamic performance.  For now they are only available on the lower Standard trim with lower battery density.

Interesting.  I don't think we can wait that long.

I was pretty surprised to see how much room there is on the interior of the Y.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

My wife needs wants a new car and has her mind made up on a Model Y.  I started looking at pricing vs other vehicles she was considering and it's not as expensive as I thought it would be.

Anyone taken delivery of a Y yet and have thoughts to share?

In-laws have one they received recently. It is largely the same as my 3. The ride is a bit harsher, and the turning radius quite a bit worse. Other than that, it seems largely identical. Personally, coming as a previous Audi owner, I haven't seen the build quality issues that people complain about. The interior is simplified but, at least with the white premium interior, feels and looks largely equivalent in quality to my previous vehicle. Probably the biggest things missing compared to competitor vehicles are ventilated seats, softer suspension, and blind spot monitoring/cross traffic monitoring. Though, for that last one they recently updated the software so that side cameras turn on with the turn signals and provide a pretty good visual (and the car will try and stop you if start changing into an occupied lane). Honestly, just do a test drive. But I recommend being able to speed at least 30 minutes with it because it takes some time to get use to electric car driving dynamics if you haven't driven one before.   

• Hook 'Em 1

We have a Y, the 7 seat version We also have 3 kids in boosters/car seats and their friends. It’s amazing how much you can actually get in the car if you need to. 

I posted upthread about the issues with delivery last year, but since we’ve had it, my only real annoyance is the proprietary phone sync (just use CarPlay or AndroidAuto, Elon), and the lack of ventilated seats. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornian said:

We have a Y, the 7 seat version We also have 3 kids in boosters/car seats and their friends. It’s amazing how much you can actually get in the car if you need to. 

I posted upthread about the issues with delivery last year, but since we’ve had it, my only real annoyance is the proprietary phone sync (just use CarPlay or AndroidAuto, Elon), and the lack of ventilated seats. 

Man, I fucking HATE apple carplay.  But we can agree to disagree.  

Top 50 Metro Areas by Electric Vehicle Registrations:
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 230,940
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley 122,404
3 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara 73,810
4 New York-Newark-Jersey City70,943
5 San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad 51,616

6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 43,183
7 Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 42,049
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 41,755
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario 40,232
10 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 36,051

11 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 32,775
12 Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom 27,937
13 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 27,525
14 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 26,943
15 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 18,769

16 Denver-Aurora-Lakewood 17,648
17 Detroit-Warren-Dearborn 16,910
18 Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 15,736
19 Boston-Cambridge-Newton 15,511
20 Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise 14,304

21 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura 13,080
22 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 12,842
23 Baltimore-Columbia-Towson 12,568
24 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk 11,724
25 Honolulu 10,539

26 Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater 10,401
27 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford 9,923
28 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 8,082
29 Salt Lake City 7,822
30 Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown 7,582

31 Tucson 7,353
32 Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown 7,242
33 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia 6,858
34 St Louis 6,661
35 Raleigh-Cary 6,565

36 Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro 6,146
37 Columbus(OH) 6,093
38 Stockton 5,918
39 Fresno 5,481
40 Cincinnati 5,368

41 Pittsburgh 4,744
42 New Haven-Milford 4,675
43 Cleveland-Elyria 4,304
44 Ogden-Clearfield 4,289
45 Rochester(NY) 4,151

46 Jacksonville 4,064
47 Kansas City 4,040
48 Provo-Orem 3,876
49 Albany Schenectady-Troy 3,853
50 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson 3,712

report and ranking here:
https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/bes...electric-cars/

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:
Top 50 Metro Areas by Electric Vehicle Registrations:
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 230,940
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley 122,404
3 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara 73,810
4 New York-Newark-Jersey City70,943
5 San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad 51,616

6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 43,183
7 Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 42,049
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 41,755
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario 40,232
10 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 36,051

11 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 32,775
12 Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom 27,937
13 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 27,525
14 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 26,943
15 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 18,769

16 Denver-Aurora-Lakewood 17,648
17 Detroit-Warren-Dearborn 16,910
18 Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 15,736
19 Boston-Cambridge-Newton 15,511
20 Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise 14,304

21 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura 13,080
22 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 12,842
23 Baltimore-Columbia-Towson 12,568
24 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk 11,724
25 Honolulu 10,539

26 Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater 10,401
27 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford 9,923
28 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 8,082
29 Salt Lake City 7,822
30 Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown 7,582

31 Tucson 7,353
32 Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown 7,242
33 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia 6,858
34 St Louis 6,661
35 Raleigh-Cary 6,565

36 Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro 6,146
37 Columbus(OH) 6,093
38 Stockton 5,918
39 Fresno 5,481
40 Cincinnati 5,368

41 Pittsburgh 4,744
42 New Haven-Milford 4,675
43 Cleveland-Elyria 4,304
44 Ogden-Clearfield 4,289
45 Rochester(NY) 4,151

46 Jacksonville 4,064
47 Kansas City 4,040
48 Provo-Orem 3,876
49 Albany Schenectady-Troy 3,853
50 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson 3,712

report and ranking here:
https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/bes...electric-cars/

Doesn't seem like flyover country is embracing EV's much.