Tesla

AeroHorn

On 6/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, 52-80 said:

There are production cars in the 9s. To get that time you need upwards of 1000hp, but the problem has been not only traction on launch but between the gearshifts. 

Tesla claims 1000hp throughout the entire rev range with single gear. So as long as they nail the launch itll apply all that power all the way down the dragstrip. 

Will wait for independent tests to verify. 

The claim about 200mpg top speed is with a different wheel and tire package. Stock design rides on pilot super sport, which are Y/ZR rated and run on other ~200mph cars so dont think its tires that are the problem. Probably wheels to cut down on drag — BUT the claim about .208Cd is specifically with standard-looking wheels in motion….so hard to connect the dots here 

Once they stick I could see it being ok but in my S and X I’ve always had some slip right off the line if I maxed out acceleration in insane/sport mode absent brand new tires and the plaid is a whole other level. So I’d imagine you’d need some serious performance tires. To be fair though that’s RWD single motor in my case not AWD dual motor. I’d also take the taycan over the plaid. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:19 PM, hornian said:

She’s in love with it. And she was really soured on the whole delivery process.  But she says it was worth it now. 

Really sucks y’all had that experience Tesla started out with more phenomenal customer experience than the car itself.  Hasn’t been that way in at least 5 years.

14 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

How long should the battery last?

The 12v battery (not talking about the main Lithium Ion battery) is warrantied for 4 years. But the reality seems more like 2-4 years due to the higher strain placed on the 12v while parked compared to other vehicles. It isn't expensive to replace, just a lot more difficult than most 12v car batteries due to how they placed it.  

On 6/12/2021 at 10:43 AM, 52-80 said:

There are production cars in the 9s. To get that time you need upwards of 1000hp, but the problem has been not only traction on launch but between the gearshifts. 

Tesla claims 1000hp throughout the entire rev range with single gear. So as long as they nail the launch itll apply all that power all the way down the dragstrip. 

Will wait for independent tests to verify. 

The claim about 200mpg top speed is with a different wheel and tire package. Stock design rides on pilot super sport, which are Y/ZR rated and run on other ~200mph cars so dont think its tires that are the problem. Probably wheels to cut down on drag — BUT the claim about .208Cd is specifically with standard-looking wheels in motion….so hard to connect the dots here 

Well, all the independent reports are that the Plaid Model S's easily get to the low 9s in the quarter mile. And they continue to pull well in excess of 100 MPH. It actually has a quicker 60-120 (~4.4 seconds) than anything that isn't a hypercar or heavily modded. Pretty fucking impressive. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

The 12v battery (not talking about the main Lithium Ion battery) is warrantied for 4 years. But the reality seems more like 2-4 years due to the higher strain placed on the 12v while parked compared to other vehicles. It isn't expensive to replace, just a lot more difficult than most 12v car batteries due to how they placed it.  

Well, all the independent reports are that the Plaid Model S's easily get to the low 9s in the quarter mile. And they continue to pull well in excess of 100 MPH. It actually has a quicker 60-120 (~4.4 seconds) than anything that isn't a hypercar or heavily modded. Pretty fucking impressive. 

that's the primary complaint I have when I've lined up against a Porsche or other performance car - the 60-120 mph range.  thankfully you can stop accelerating at 70 mph and call it a win speed limit and all. 

oh and when the car won't start and is dead, dead, dead because of the 12v it's scarier than shit until you know what it is.  happened to me with my S and I was like wtf???

Edited by troph

28 minutes ago, troph said:

that's the primary complaint I have when I've lined up against a Porsche or other performance car - the 60-120 mph range.  thankfully you can stop accelerating at 70 mph and call it a win speed limit and all. 

oh and when the car won't start and is dead, dead, dead because of the 12v it's scarier than shit until you know what it is.  happened to me with my S and I was like wtf???

The Plaid is very impressive in terms of pure straight line performance.

On the 12v, interestingly, you can usually jump the 12v if you can get access to it and the car will turn on. I have the same jumper device I use for my other cars in my model 3 for precisely that reason. What did you do when it happened to you (I don't know how accessible the 12v is with the S)? 

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The Plaid is very impressive in terms of pure straight line performance.

On the 12v, interestingly, you can usually jump the 12v if you can get access to it and the car will turn on. I have the same jumper device I use for my other cars in my model 3 for precisely that reason. What did you do when it happened to you (I don't know how accessible the 12v is with the S)? 

I had no idea what it was so we called for a tow. It was years ago when their service was impeccable. We actually left the car and the key hidden and called an Uber and they told us when it was picked up and dropped off.  Brilliant service.

Edited by troph

You all are starting to make me worry with this 12V deal.  So far I have my S since Xmas and absolutely love it.  I have owned almost every brand and enjoy driving my Model S more than any of the other cars I have had.  I overlook the little issues I have had like right now I keep getting a window is open notification when I park the car not at my house (even though the windows are fully closed) and I have been ignoring them.  I just set up mobile service for next week so hopefully that gets corrected.  I did get the black screen on my car the other day when sitting in a drive thru.  I just held both scroll wheels down and rebooted it and the car was back to normal in 45 seconds.  I think you need to be willing to overlook the little stuff like that in order to truly enjoy the car.  If you can't overlook that stuff you will get frustrated.

17 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You all are starting to make me worry with this 12V deal.  So far I have my S since Xmas and absolutely love it.  I have owned almost every brand and enjoy driving my Model S more than any of the other cars I have had.  I overlook the little issues I have had like right now I keep getting a window is open notification when I park the car not at my house (even though the windows are fully closed) and I have been ignoring them.  I just set up mobile service for next week so hopefully that gets corrected.  I did get the black screen on my car the other day when sitting in a drive thru.  I just held both scroll wheels down and rebooted it and the car was back to normal in 45 seconds.  I think you need to be willing to overlook the little stuff like that in order to truly enjoy the car.  If you can't overlook that stuff you will get frustrated.

I mean, the 12v battery is a weakness in every car. It is just a little more annoying in dealing with it in a Tesla. Keep a jumper system available (e.g., https://no.co/products/power/boost) and look up how to do it with the S. It'll usually slowly die and maybe you'll get some random electrical warnings before it happens. 

I mean, the 12v battery is a weakness in every car. It is just a little more annoying in dealing with it in a Tesla. Keep a jumper system available (e.g., https://no.co/products/power/boost) and look up how to do it with the S. It'll usually slowly die and maybe you'll get some random electrical warnings before it happens. 

Walmart batteries last longer than 2 years though.

47 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

1.5 years.  i've had to reboot probably 5 times?  about less than an actual computer.  ive also had the entertainment system in BMW reboot itself from time to time.  the tesla drivetrain is on a failsafe independent of the screen - the car will continue driving if the top layer of the computer is resetting

Edited by 52-80

23 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Walmart batteries last longer than 2 years though.

Ok? As I said, a 12v battery connected to a Tesla goes through different stresses than a standard car battery. Normally, the 12v of a car handles a single high amp event, starting the car.  But for Teslas instead the 12v is responsible for continuous low amp usage, mainly continually powering the Battery Management System when the car is parked. They are supposed to last 4 years. Anecdotal reports appear to be closer to 2 years. 

I've owned a used Tesla now for 6 years I think? A 2013 S and a 2016 X.  it happened once. and it's the only thing I've had to fix in 6 years.  You should be more worried if you have specialty low profile tires - cost and availability.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wife has had her Model Y for about 7 weeks now. It's overall a great car and very fun to drive. There are a few minor annoyances I will mention, which seem to be entirely fixable if Tesla wanted to, but I suppose they have their reasons.

1. No Apple Carplay - seems like it could be integrated without significantly disrupting the existing Tesla interface

2. The built-in Spotify app should recognize and associate a different Spotify account with each driver profile. It's always logged into my wife's Spotify, so if I'm driving by myself, I listen to her music, which is also problematic if she's doing something like working out and needing to be on Spotify at the same time.

3. No HomeLink garage door opener - seriously?!? The car has a bioweapons defense mode, dog mode, valet mode, can stream Netflix and play video games, voice command...but it can't open a garage door.

4. The center cup holders are tiny. Good for a 12 oz can but not most of our re-usable water bottles and tumblers.

None of these would sway me against buying the car if I had to do it over again, but they don't make a ton of sense for an otherwise great car.

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Wife has had her Model Y for about 7 weeks now. It's overall a great car and very fun to drive. There are a few minor annoyances I will mention, which seem to be entirely fixable if Tesla wanted to, but I suppose they have their reasons.

1. No Apple Carplay - seems like it could be integrated without significantly disrupting the existing Tesla interface

2. The built-in Spotify app should recognize and associate a different Spotify account with each driver profile. It's always logged into my wife's Spotify, so if I'm driving by myself, I listen to her music, which is also problematic if she's doing something like working out and needing to be on Spotify at the same time.

3. No HomeLink garage door opener - seriously?!? The car has a bioweapons defense mode, dog mode, valet mode, can stream Netflix and play video games, voice command...but it can't open a garage door.

4. The center cup holders are tiny. Good for a 12 oz can but not most of our re-usable water bottles and tumblers.

None of these would sway me against buying the car if I had to do it over again, but they don't make a ton of sense for an otherwise great car.

1. I hate Apple Carplay.  I view this as a positive.

2. Agree

3. I got mine before they took this away.  Always thought it was a weird way to cut corners.

4. Eh, ok.

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

starter kit for a good - first world problems list

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

You have two companies famous for proprietary homegrown software, both of which are notorious for demanding people who use their technologies to pay licensing fees. Its not a surprise to me at all. 

On 7/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, wild_turkey said:

Trading in my 2018 model 3 for a 2021 model 3 and wasnt informed about this. That’s going to suck to transition to either having to push the front gate and garage door opener or just purchasing the home link.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why are you trading it in?

It has 70k miles, getting offered 8k over what I owe by a local dealership, I’m in need of 4 new tires, and the new dual motor battery life is 350 miles and mine has diminished to 270 miles for a full charge.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Walte464 said:

It has 70k miles, getting offered 8k over what I owe by a local dealership, I’m in need of 4 new tires, and the new dual motor battery life is 350 miles and mine has diminished to 270 miles for a full charge.

Ah ok. Probably worth it to pony up the cash for homelink then. I think it’s like $400?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ah ok. Probably worth it to pony up the cash for homelink then. I think it’s like $400?

Yeah, it’s 325 and the tech comes to your house to install it. I’ll have it ready when they deliver the car so it’s all installed at once.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, wild_turkey said:

On 7/26/2021 at 8:08 PM, hornfan785 said:

You can get Homelink installed, but you have to buy it from the Tesla website and then a mobile service technician will come install it for you. https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-automatic-garage-opener

I agree, though, that it's shitty that it's not pre-installed.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:12 PM, Biff Tannen said:

On 7/27/2021 at 11:15 PM, Walte464 said:

Yeah, it’s 325 and the tech comes to your house to install it. I’ll have it ready when they deliver the car so it’s all installed at once.

My wife gave me a hard time for insisting that we get the homelink installed. I was tired of the garage door opener flying off the visor whenever I moved the visor, so I ponied up the $300 or so. Best add on. Even she admits it was worth it, and she hates admitting I'm right about anything. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

If I'm buying the car, I'm forking over the extra to have the tool, its a great convenience. If it was standard and is now an upgrade, which requires a technician to come to your house, then that looks like a nickel and dime situation. 

Agreed.

I was very annoyed to find out that it wasn't already installed.

But after the annoyance went away, the tool itself is so useful I've gotten over the annoyance.

It's basically an analogy for the whole delivery experience (you can go back on this thread and see what we dealt with). It was very annoying in the moment, but once the moment has passed the utility of it makes the annoyances seem less of an issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/08/02/fire-at-australian-big-battery/

Fire and Rescue Victoria led the response to the blaze, which is believed to have originated in one Megapack module and to have affected another on the site.

More than 30 fire trucks and support vehicles responded to the incident, which was contained by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, before it could spread to others of the 210 battery-energy storage modules on site in Moorabool in the City of Greater Geelong.

Fire-at-Victorian-Big-Battery-1536x1155-1-1200x902.png

When these Li batteries catch fire they are a bitch to put out. Not really an indictment of Tesla as I'm sure this is a possibility with most manufacturers of similar products. 30 fire trucks and 3 days to put one of these guys out. Will be interesting to see which emerging battery technology can finally make a dent in the Li-Ion dominence. 

32 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I can't even tell what I'm looking at. Is that building on fire? Is that a single 12"x18" battery on fire?

That installation is supposed to provide 300MW/450MWh  of battery storage, so they will have about 200 Tesla Megapacks. The image above is of one Megapack on fire, and I think it partially damaged another. Better perspective

Tesla Megapack at Neoen facility caught fire during testing in Australia -  TechStory

Just crazy that it supposedly took 30 trucks & 150 firefighters 4 days to put that bitch out (if media reports are accurate). In reality, they were probably mostly standing around hoping shit didnt get out of hand .

"They are difficult to fight because you can’t put water on the Megapacks ... all that does is extend the length of time that the fire burns for."

He said Tesla recommended how to approach the fire, by cooling everything around the burn so it couldn’t spread, and letting it burn itself out.

• Hook 'Em 1

All this homelink talk made me try to set it up again yesterday.  Still cannot.  I have a 2021 Model S and can never get it to detect the signal from my garage remote.  I follow the prompt: walk to the front, 3" in front of the T, hold it down for 30 seconds.  Never detects. Can't find any other wisdom out there.

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

All this homelink talk made me try to set it up again yesterday.  Still cannot.  I have a 2021 Model S and can never get it to detect the signal from my garage remote.  I follow the prompt: walk to the front, 3" in front of the T, hold it down for 30 seconds.  Never detects. Can't find any other wisdom out there.

Will mobile service come out to look at it?

21 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Is it a homelink problem or a garage problem? Have you tried the homelink system with another garage?

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Did you put fresh batteries in the garage remote?

I struggled to set up the Home link on my car when I got it 6 months ago.  I had the mobile tech come out for something else minor and then while there I asked if he could help.  It took him a few minutes also as it didn’t set up immediately but he finally got it working.  I forget what he did to finally get it to work but those guys know how to figure it out better than I could.  Also, it is fantastic to not have my garage remote on the visor and when I pull up to my garage it auto opens or auto closes when I leave.

When we ordered our Model Y in April, we used the Tesla financing program because the interest rate was lower than our mortgage so why the hell not. The Tesla application said financing was instantly approved with Wells Fargo who we currently bank with. Ok cool, easy enough. We took delivery of the vehicle on June 2. 

On July 9, over a month after having the vehicle, I received an email from fundingresolution@tesla.com saying there was a problem with the financing. Apparently the car was ordered under my wife's name (her car) and the loan application was under my name (higher income), so the SSN didn't match up. I'm not sure how they didn't catch this on the application when they initially said the loan was approved. The email correspondence was kind of sketchy and at first I thought it might be a phishing attempt, but I tried to work with them to figure it out. Then, that person stopped responding to all of my emails as of July 14. Nothing at all past that point despite multiple emails from me.

Since that point, I have called Tesla multiple times at both the local store and at their main "Tesla Finance" number with very little help. None of them seem to have any visibility of the problem and simply say "they are working on it" (they as in the mysterious Royal They which is a department deep within Tesla that you cannot actually speak with directly). No one ever returns my calls and it's been going on a month.

I then called Wells Fargo since Tesla gave me an approved loan agreement for Wells Fargo as the lender. Turns out, Wells Fargo had record of an application being submitted but never gave a decision due to the SSN discrepancy mentioned above. So there was never a loan to begin with. Wells Fargo has offered to do the loan application again, but that would circumvent Tesla and might mess things up even worse. At least Wells Fargo is trying to help. They also call me back about once a week to check the status, which is more than Tesla has ever done.

Ok fine, I pretty much decided to quit worrying about it and figured Tesla will eventually contact me if they want to get paid for the remainder of the vehicle. 

Except there is now one major problem - the temporary dealer tags were good for only 2 months, so they expired on August 2 and we can no longer drive the car legally. The full registration is apparently being held up by the funding problem which no one is attempting to fix. Great, so we "bought" a car from them that we can't drive. I have explained this multiple times to the Tesla and the local store says they don't know what to do but that someone will contact me soon, which no one ever does.

I called my local tax assessor office to explain the problem about the tags. They said I could file a formal complaint against Tesla as a dealer, except that the Tesla dealership is in Washington and a complaint in Texas will probably be worthless. I guess I'll file a complaint anyways. They said I can also go pay $29 for a temporary 30-day tag exemption, which can only be done 3 times in the life of a vehicle, and Tesla actually burned the first 2 times when they gave me "dealer plates" that weren't actually dealer plates. Great, so I can do that 1 more time which buys me until September 2nd if they get their shit together by then. I could write them a check for the rest of the car but no one will ever respond.

This shit is absolutely ridiculous and by far the worst customer service I have ever received from anyone, which includes AT&T and American Airlines.

/rant

TLDR: if you are considering financing a Tesla through Tesla, please do yourself a huge favor and go directly to your lender of choice.

Edited by wild_turkey
  • Rage+1 4