The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Buzzrock

Looked, didn't find a thread. Based on the title alone this is not a show I would have sought out, but a guy at work told me it was really funny and it's getting a lot of buzz. Basic premise is a young 50s housewife finds out she has a knack for stand up comedy. The lead actress played the hooker in House of Cards in all three seasons I think (I only watched the first).

I thought the first episode was awful until the big event which causes the plot to shift. But maybe that was intentional. The tough bartender/agent is pretty funny, so I'll give it another shot.

Mrs. Maisel has a smoking figure which she displays in the first episode. Which is nice. Anyone else watching this?

4 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

Season 2 is hit or miss. Starts a little slow (Paris stand up is dumb), Catskills was amazing IMO, end of season totally forgettable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The end set up Season 3 well I thought.  Catskills were definitely the highlight.  Susie!

2 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Season 2 was good, not as good as season 1. I felt like they had a few too many ideas and it was a little messy. Like the Paris stuff. Her mom just snaps out of it and that’s it? Looking forward to season 3 though. 

I knew you’d like season 1.  how bout those titties, amirite

17 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, I find Susie’s silly plunger gimmick way, way funnier than I probably should.

Guilty. That was gold. Reminded me of a bit Michael Keaton did in The Paper. "A clipboard and a confident wave will get you into any building in the world!"

• 5 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

We watched S1e1 last night and came away very, very “meh.”  Based on that one episode, the show is boring and disjointed. Is it supposed to be a comedy?  A drama?  A whimsical fantasy about a woman who doesn’t seem to notice she has children?  WTF is this show?

oh, it’s merely a commentary on contemporary mores...

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 8:02 AM, BrickHorn said:

We watched S1e1 last night and came away very, very “meh.”  Based on that one episode, the show is boring and disjointed. Is it supposed to be a comedy?  A drama?  A whimsical fantasy about a woman who doesn’t seem to notice she has children?  WTF is this show?

Did you not appreciate the great boobs?

On 2/16/2019 at 8:02 AM, BrickHorn said:

As someone probably far outside the demo they are looking for, I find this to be one of the best shows out.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Watched the first episode last night.  The mom and dad are still the best thing in the show.

I wouldn't say they were the best, but they are the truffle adorned coating on the best. Not only are they interesting on their own, but they influence the main character.

Edited by RPM

27 minutes ago, RPM said:

I wouldn't say they were the best, but they are the truffle adorned coating on the best. Not only are they interesting on their own, but they influence the main character.

Perhaps. but I just think Tony Shaloub is fantastic in this.  The mom is great too.  Actually pretty much all of the performances are excellent, although the main character occasionally grates on me a bit (probably intentionally).