The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Buzzrock

They have completely changed the pacing / directorial style of the show this season.  It's like watching a play or musical or something - where the actors are play-acting and not trying to speak in normal cadence.  Has anyone else noticed this?  It's completely over the top.

21 minutes ago, Teebox said:

They have completely changed the pacing / directorial style of the show this season.  It's like watching a play or musical or something - where the actors are play-acting and not trying to speak in normal cadence.  Has anyone else noticed this?  It's completely over the top.

It’s always been like that. One of the reasons I really like the show. It’s different. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nbmishoid said:

Seems the main character is unbearable, in that she simply assumes the world is her oyster and that is her moral center.  This after the first 3 or 4 episodes.  My wife dislikes the character even more. 

That’s every female main character in an Amy Sherman-Palladino show. 

The theatricality of the show is one of the things that I love most about it. Of course I’m a fan of musical theater in general, and this show has always been very friendly and in touch with that genre through its style and its music.

I think this season has been great, especially a couple of the most recent episodes. The flash forwards, while not always totally relevant or perfect comedically, have been a clever and expedient way, IMO, of delivering some closure for the non-Midge characters while also staying in the regular timeline for the majority of the season. I imagine we’ll get some thorough closure with Midge in the final eps.

The Susie roast episode, Abe’s realization during that dinner scene in the latest ep, both come to mind as quality stuff. Lack of Lenny Bruce has been a bummer but that arc peaked in the previous season and they had no where else to go so they wrapped it up; also well IMO.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

The Susie roast episode, Abe’s realization during that dinner scene in the latest ep, both come to mind as quality stuff.

Both were excellent. Abe's monologue was some next level greatness.

Bravo! Hate to see this series go away but they wrapped it up very nicely. What a roller coaster ride to the finish.

I laughed, I cried, I left wanting more.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 7:58 AM, RPM said:

Both were excellent. Abe's monologue was some next level greatness.

We have been dealing with the process of moving my in-laws to a retirement community the last several months with the attendant logistics of 70-100 years worth of stuff.  Abe's monologue hit close to home.  

Daughter came home from college this summer and we decided to go ahead and finish the last season.  I really didn't think i would, because the last couple of seasons weren't great (outside of Lenny Bruce appearances).  But, I thought this season was great.  The ending was perfect and the I really liked how they tied up all of the characters. 

Joel story arc is kind of sad. They are the love of each other's lives, but they can't be together because of her career. While he loves that she is succeeding and is genuinely happy for her, he can't stand to be "Mrs. Maisel". It isn't in him. There is the mobbed-up thing he is protecting her from too. That he can do, but not the second fiddle husband.  It is funny how he falls for such progressive women, but he isn't quite able to be the supportive husband they need because he is too traditional and ultimately a man of his time. He has no template for how to do it without feeling emasculated and losing something of himself, I guess. 

I loved his parent's shower scene, that was awesome. Kevin Pollack was a scene stealer the whole show.

41 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

It is funny how he falls for such progressive women, but he isn't quite able to be the supportive husband they need because he is too traditional and ultimately a man of his time. He has no template for how to do it without feeling emasculated and losing something of himself, I guess. 

You're forgetting Joel's Chinese side piece that dumped him because of her family traditions. He was on both sides of the fence.

No, I'm not forgetting her. It was the same with her.  She wanted Joel but knew he couldn't be Mrs. Doctor. and support her career and also their child. He has other children and his career and he wasn't going to put her first to the extent she felt she needed to make it work.   That is why it is sad to me that he is so attracted to ambitious women that he can't partner the way they need. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The parents (both sets) were my favorite part of the show. Never been a Lenny Bruce fan but the guy who played him did a phenomenal job.

BTW my daughter was an extra in the final season so we had fun looking for her in the background this year.

Will miss this show.

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally watched it all this week. Fantastic ending. I loved that we got a bit of bookends with Lenny, even showing the beginning of his demise in SF. The Glenn Ford show was so well done. For a NY nerd, it's great seeing 30 Rock since it's timeless. I was a bit worried about the flash forwards because they made it seem like she turned out to be awful but then they brought it back with her and Suzie. And it had a good amount of Blossom Dearie in the soundtrack. If you've never picked up her music, give it a listen. She's great. I was really happy Abe went against type of started focusing on Esther and noticing her genius. Agree, the parents are always the best, even Shirley and Moishe. 

• 2 weeks later...