Dash Cams

I have this one ARECORD B40D Dual Camera Dash

i like it, camera is low profile so you can put in front of rear view mirror and not notice it, has rear camera you can mount in case you get rear ended (giggity) Good quality , can set it to record in loop so you don’t have to delete, also has battery backup. If your cig ports are always hot it will record while car is off in case someone fucks with it while you’re parked.

i had another one before but it was cheap and fell off the windshield and stopped working , i prefer the flat mount ones, the suction cup ones get in the way

Ive been using an old android phone with a sd card, and an app called autoguard.  Its works but not great.  Main thing is I have to turn the phone off when I park for more than an hour or so or the battery drains.  Leaving it in the hot car im sure does the battery no favors.  So then it takes a minute or two to boot up, then I have to start the app. 

So ive actually been looking at buy a dedicated dashcam, but sort of am waiting for the phone to finally crap out.

Ok, I was concerned going cheap would be regretted but it doesn't seem like anyone swears by an expensive option.  I'll find one through vipon and try it out.  

I think I'm going to grab one of the flat ones so thanks for that.  

Edited by GottaB

I went with this one

LeadTry 4K UHD WiFi Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD 6-Lane 170° Wide Angle Mini Dashboard Camera Recorder with WiFi, Night Vision, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M6YDD5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was a vipon discount so I got it for $45 and another $20 for a microSD card.  It showed up today and had it up an running in 10 minutes.  It came with three adhesive patches and three attachment plates in case you mess the first install up.  The instructions are broken english but easy to follow.  I got the app downloaded and connected but it isn't 100% intuitive.  I'll have to work with that some more tomorrow.  The charger cable has a USB slot on the back of it so you don't lose the ability to charge other devices with this.  The charger/cable is one piece so you can't separate them if you intend to plug it into something other than a cigarette lighter style power supply.  The unit is a mini usb (not micro) powered.  You can unplug the unit and remove it if you don't want to leave it in your car.  You can also plug the unit directly into your computer via USB if you want but I haven't tried.  The microSD card is easy to remove and will be the way I transfer videos. The quality is good.  I ran it at 2k today and will run at 4k tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.  I can make out plates at a stop light but not while driving.  It does record sound.  The video settings are customizable,  You can change the duration of the video loops from 1 to 2 to 3 minutes.  If you want to lock a file to prevent being overridden, you just have to hit one button. 

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and address them. 

I've had one several years and it is worth it.  Caught a couple near misses of people running red lights, a drunk drive hopping the median and front wheel popping off and a water truck drive by me and the doors rolled up and 5 gal bottles spilling out and hitting my truck.

On 3/30/2018 at 10:23 PM, GottaB said:

I went with this one

LeadTry 4K UHD WiFi Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD 6-Lane 170° Wide Angle Mini Dashboard Camera Recorder with WiFi, Night Vision, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M6YDD5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was a vipon discount so I got it for $45 and another $20 for a microSD card.  It showed up today and had it up an running in 10 minutes.  It came with three adhesive patches and three attachment plates in case you mess the first install up.  The instructions are broken english but easy to follow.  I got the app downloaded and connected but it isn't 100% intuitive.  I'll have to work with that some more tomorrow.  The charger cable has a USB slot on the back of it so you don't lose the ability to charge other devices with this.  The charger/cable is one piece so you can't separate them if you intend to plug it into something other than a cigarette lighter style power supply.  The unit is a mini usb (not micro) powered.  You can unplug the unit and remove it if you don't want to leave it in your car.  You can also plug the unit directly into your computer via USB if you want but I haven't tried.  The microSD card is easy to remove and will be the way I transfer videos. The quality is good.  I ran it at 2k today and will run at 4k tomorrow and see if I notice a difference.  I can make out plates at a stop light but not while driving.  It does record sound.  The video settings are customizable,  You can change the duration of the video loops from 1 to 2 to 3 minutes.  If you want to lock a file to prevent being overridden, you just have to hit one button. 

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and address them. 

Two days later and it crapped out.  Probably should have gone with something else.