Houston livestock show and rodeo

htownjd

Cook off and whatever my wife drags me to that’s still available for less than 1 human spleen on the secondary market, not George.

- I’ve never failed to have a good time at rodeo, (sometimes the alcohol allowance needs to be increased), but always have a good time.

- I’ve seen George at HLSR twice “pre-retirement” when I wasn’t paying for the tickets.

- I’ve seen George outside of HLSR (Not in the last decade)

It is beyond crazy to me to see normal people will shell out that kind of cash for upper deck, bad acoustics, parking, and drinks to watch him on the Jumbotron. Once to close HLSR, okay, I get it. Year after year, is bizarre to me. I’ve never been to a concert at T-Mobile in Vegas (it may blow goats, I don’t know), but you could make a whole weekend to see the same show for the last couple years Rodeo pricing.

Cook off and whatever my wife drags me to that’s still available for less than 1 human spleen on the secondary market, not George.

- I’ve never failed to have a good time at rodeo, (sometimes the alcohol allowance needs to be increased), but always have a good time.
- I’ve seen George at HLSR twice “pre-retirement” when I wasn’t paying for the tickets.
- I’ve seen George outside of HLSR (Not in the last decade)

It is beyond crazy to me to see normal people will shell out that kind of cash for upper deck, bad acoustics, parking, and drinks to watch him on the Jumbotron. Once to close HLSR, okay, I get it. Year after year, is bizarre to me. I’ve never been to a concert at T-Mobile in Vegas (it may blow goats, I don’t know), but you could make a whole weekend to see the same show for the last couple years Rodeo pricing.

I still haven't seen George live. He's been in Vegas for a whole and with a kid, can't travel much. Only opportunity to see him. I would kill to see him play at Gruene Hall or something even less intimate

Anyhow, can't wait to get wasted at the rodeo with the wifey

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, htownjd said:

I still haven't seen George live. He's been in Vegas for a whole and with a kid, can't travel much. Only opportunity to see him. I would kill to see him play at Gruene Hall or something even less intimate.

Yeah, George at Gruene would be awesome. Obviously it's an undersized venue for him now. The only time in recent memory that he played there was a very private affair put on by Wrangler that they streamed online in 2016.

For bonus points, I'd love to see him at Cheatham Street where he got his start.

8 hours ago, relapse98 said:

For bonus points, I'd love to see him at Cheatham Street where he got his start.

This is the correct answer.  Way before my time, but my dad got to know George a bit.  He played drums in a different band in San Marcos and had some interaction with him back then.  Would be awesome to see him in that type of environment.  I'd say it would never happen, but if Paul McCartney can drop into a dive bar and perform, then maybe there's hope with George (yeah right).

• Like 1

going for George. gf is a volunteer and got section A, row 15 tickets for her and my sister. b-i-l and I will be in section 103 I think. I've seen GS several times at the rodeo and once in Vegas. looking forward more to REK and Lyle.

also have tickets to Turnpike Troubadours. hoping for Santana.

starting off with Cory Morrow and Roger Craegar at the cookoff.

Wonder if that TT show actually happens

Here’s to hoping. I’m more excited about being that close to the action. My son loves the bull riding.

Turns out they have been canceling shows at the end of last year. They just canceled a few more. Also, their band website is now down.

i got a dilemma. when buying the tickets for george and cody johnson, it took an insane amount of tries to get through the cluster-f that was their first-come-first-serve online ticket sale through AXS. AXS kept having their page crash and kicking me out of the queue when i tried to pick seats. thankfully i was finally able to snag tickets to both events after about an hour by just having it automatically select the tickets for me. i got crazy good tickets to george. section 114. i got them at face value, they were like 180/each. and really bad tickets to cojo, like nosebleeds.

i honestly would have wanted it the other way - close up cojo and nosebleeds george (just so i could say i saw george live).

is there much of a difference in the experience between the nosebleeds and down in the first section?

those section 114 george tickets are selling at 400 on seatgeek/stubhub right now. wondering if i should just sell the george one, get worse seats, and use the $ for upgrading the cojo seats and for beer, shopping, etc.

Edited by htownjd

Sending my kiddo to Cardi B.  No idea how he likes this, but that was the show he picked.  Probably see George, and Panic at the Disco.  Like Champ said, I used to go tons, but it's all such a pain in the ass now I am not that motivated.  It's always such a abbreviated show I generally find it not worth it.  I like to wait until whatever artist is playing another venue in town.  Any idea why Dwight Yoakam is never part of the rodeo lineup? Seems he'd be a great fit for the country legend spot.  

On 1/27/2019 at 11:37 PM, ChampKind said:

There was a time when I really enjoyed Cookoff and Rodeo. Now it's such a pain in the ass to get down there that I just can't get excited about it anymore. However...Santana, bc he kicks ass.

Will be coming in from Austin to see Brooks & Dunn (staying near the Galleria).  What is the best way to get there these days? Uber?

1 hour ago, mycox said:

No light rail to the Galleria. I always wonder why people decide to stay in the Galleria area. There isn't much to do out there.

Because I had a free night that I could use at the Galleria JW Marriott (unfortunately not the downtown one, though), and I get upgraded to club level with Platinum status

Probably will Uber there, then after take the train away from the stadium, and then get off and Uber

Edited by AustinMT

Just now, AustinMT said:

Because I had a free night that I could use at the Galleria JW Marriott (unfortunately not the downtown one, though), and I get upgraded to club level with Platinum status

Probably will Uber there, then after take the train away from the stadium, and then get off and Uber

Uber to midtown and take the train in.

Take the train out and then get off in Midtown or Downtown, depending on timing and what you want to do.

• Like 1

if it's still the same as a few years ago (I usually have a hotel near NRG because of this), you have to wait in line after the show for Uber/Lyft/cabs. which sucks dick. 

light rail is much easier and you get to see the drunk bitches make fools of themselves.

10 hours ago, tejas60 said:

if it's still the same as a few years ago (I usually have a hotel near NRG because of this), you have to wait in line after the show for Uber/Lyft/cabs. which sucks dick. 

light rail is much easier and you get to see the drunk bitches make fools of themselves.

Being from out of town, what we've done is stay in a very nearby hotel and walk in. We've stayed at the Raddison there at the loop and some suite one on Main. Made our lives so easy - just walk over, enjoy ourselves, then walk back to the hotel after. We can pregame, don't have to worry about the crazy traffic and paying for onsite parking.

• 4 weeks later...

Good show by Brooks & Dunn last night.  16-song set list:

Brand New Man"

"Red Dirt Road"

"Mama Don't Get Dressed Up for Nothing"

"Put a Girl in It"

"Lost and Found"

"Ain't Nothing 'Bout You"

"Play Something Country"

"Neon Moon"

"You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone"

"Hard Workin' Man"

"Cowgirls Don't Cry"

"Rock my World (Little Country Girl)"

"Believe"

"Boot Scootin' Boogie"

"My Maria"

"Only in America"

• Like 1

Brand New Man"

"Red Dirt Road"

"Put a Girl in It"

"Lost and Found"

"Play Something Country"

"Neon Moon"

"Hard Workin' Man"

"Cowgirls Don't Cry"

"Believe"

"Boot Scootin' Boogie"

"My Maria"

"Only in America"

Dang that's a good set

On 2/5/2019 at 7:42 AM, relapse98 said:

Being from out of town, what we've done is stay in a very nearby hotel and walk in. We've stayed at the Raddison there at the loop and some suite one on Main. Made our lives so easy - just walk over, enjoy ourselves, then walk back to the hotel after. We can pregame, don't have to worry about the crazy traffic and paying for onsite parking.

And you didn't die? I wouldn't stay near NRG. 

1 hour ago, htownjd said:
2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Brand New Man"

"Red Dirt Road"

"Put a Girl in It"

"Lost and Found"

"Play Something Country"

"Neon Moon"

"Hard Workin' Man"

"Cowgirls Don't Cry"

"Believe"

"Boot Scootin' Boogie"

"My Maria"

"Only in America"

Read more  

Dang that's a good set

Yeah — it seemed like a long show for a rodeo performance.  They sounded really good, by the way.

Crowd was announced at 71,000+, and it was pretty full

3 hours ago, htownjd said:
4 hours ago, AustinMT said:
Yeah — it seemed like a long show for a rodeo performance.  They sounded really good, by the way.
Crowd was announced at 71,000+, and it was pretty full

Nice. Where'd you sit in the stadium?

Club level 339, so close to mid field