Houston livestock show and rodeo

htownjd

On 3/15/2022 at 4:31 PM, huge said:

Stapleton on St Patricks Day should be rowdy

I could have done without the rain and our Uber driver ending up facing into traffic with horns blaring all around us not once, but twice and me demanding to be let out at the median at McKnee, but the show was lit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I could have done without the rain and our Uber driver ending up facing into traffic with horns blaring all around us not once, but twice and me demanding to be let out at the median at McKnee, but the show was lit.  

Getting day drunk on wine on St Pattys day at the HLSR Wine Garden was unusual.

Stapleton is good.

I like Stapleton, but if you’ve seen his show once, there’s no need to see it again. I’m astonished they sold more tickets on Stapleton night than Go Tejano. 

My favorite show was either Khalid or Journey. I need to think on it. I didn’t know much about Khalid going in, but he put on a terrific show. Just a happy guy that’s doing exactly what he wants to do in life. I can respect that. 

• 9 months later...

A Norteno night and no tejano night is damn bullshit

does the world really need - Brad paisley, Kenny cheaney, Luke Bryan, and Jason aldean. They seen like the same guy. Also, brooks and Dunn should be playing a smaller side stage

Never heard of walker hayes 

no classic rock night ?

bun b and stapelton will be the hottest tickets 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

A Norteno night and no tejano night is damn bullshit

does the world really need - Brad paisley, Kenny cheaney, Luke Bryan, and Jason aldean. They seen like the same guy. Also, brooks and Dunn should be playing a smaller side stage

Never heard of walker hayes 

no classic rock night ?

bun b and stapelton will be the hottest tickets 

You’re not thinking big picture here putt. New Kids will be a cornucopia of milfs. You of all people should be all over that. 

Zac Brown band as the “rock act”, and Luke Bryan closing the show are my only real complaints. Garth Brooks and King George are the only acts worthy of closing the show. 

Styx would have been my pick for geezer rock night. Good chaser after Journey last year. 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You’re not thinking big picture here putt. New Kids will be a cornucopia of milfs. You of all people should be all over that. 

Zac Brown band as the “rock act”, and Luke Bryan closing the show are my only real complaints. Garth Brooks and King George are the only acts worthy of closing the show. 

Styx would have been my pick for geezer rock night. Good chaser after Journey last year. 

Styx played San Antonio Rodeo last year.  By all accounts they burned the arena to the ground.  

I know, I know.  It’s Styx.  Many older rock bands lose their youthful zeal and turn into complete professionals  that put on phenomenal shows.  

Apparently Styx is one of those bands. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Styx played San Antonio Rodeo last year.  By all accounts they burned the arena to the ground.  

I know, I know.  It’s Styx.  Many older rock bands lose their youthful zeal and turn into complete professionals  that put on phenomenal shows.  

Oh, I believe it. Stadium ballads play well to really large crowds. Journey rocked 70k last year. 

I’m pretty fucking over Rodeo Houston ignoring 40% of Houston. Like I said, we don’t need 5 fucking country acts of the same type of guy with different names. 

we need a tejano and norteno night. These are two different types of music. Two different crowds. 

we need a rock and classic rock nights 

I’ll even say we need an India night. Another under served population group.

You dump any of these three and no one would give a fuck Brad paisley, Kenny cheaney, Luke Bryan, jason aldean, Cody Johnson and brooks and Dunn. 

I’d be very curious to see the make up of the concert selecting committee 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Turnpike Troubadours will be a very fast seller. Walker Hayes will be suburban MILF night.

MGK as the rock act? Do better rodeo.

This year is a big skip.... did many acts say "no" or what?

Where all the women at?

you can see turnpike troubadours at better venues around the state

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Turnpike Troubadours will be a very fast seller. Walker Hayes will be suburban MILF night.

MGK as the rock act? Do better rodeo.

This year is a big skip.... did many acts say "no" or what?

Where all the women at?

Lainey Wilson would have been an great add. Her star is rising 

48 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m pretty fucking over Rodeo Houston ignoring 40% of Houston. Like I said, we don’t need 5 fucking country acts of the same type of guy with different names. 

we need a tejano and norteno night. These are two different types of music. Two different crowds. 

we need a rock and classic rock nights 

I’ll even say we need an India night. Another under served population group.

You dump any of these three and no one would give a fuck Brad paisley, Kenny cheaney, Luke Bryan, jason aldean, Cody Johnson and brooks and Dunn. 

I’d be very curious to see the make up of the concert selecting committee 

I don't ever go because f crowds but it's the rodeo not acl.  The focus will always be country.

• Hook 'Em 2

Indian night? At HLSR? Are you trying to make the rodeo lose money? The goal of the lineup is about asses in the seats and buying beers and riding rides after with more beers, that's it.  If a woman could sell out NRG, she'd be there. They won't add another Tejano/Norteno day either, it's already the most dreaded day for every committeemen to work. Shit show. I actually like the line up this year, glad I moved my seats up from 100s to the club this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, deadshank said:

I think they were on a bill with Def Leppard a couple years ago? Styx was clearly the "opener" though, my sister says Styx easily put on the show of the night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/music/rodeo-go-tejano-day-17699330?utm_campaign=centerpiece
Why Tejano music may never return to Go Tejano Day at RodeoHouston

Spoiler

You know you're from Houston if you complain about — 

The Humidity.

Jammed freeways. 

The RodeoHouston lineup.

It's the same cycle every year. Weeks of anticipation before the entertainer announcement, followed by weeks of complaints when the lineup is revealed. And some of the loudest criticisms are directed at Go Tejano Day.

"That's not Tejano!"

"I've never even heard of them!"

"This is Texas, not Mexico!"

Those are just some of the social media posts that came in the hours after Thursday night's announcement. They're the same ones unhappy RodeoHouston attendees have been making for almost two decades. And the solution is unclear. Tejano music, despite reports to the contrary, is not dead. But it's certainly not as robust as it once was.

Tejano superstar Emilio Navaira at RodeoHouston in 1995.

Go Tejano Day started in 1990 to celebrate "the spirit of the day," according to the RodeoHouston website. Indeed, RodeoHouston has long contended that the "Tejano" in Go Tejano Day is simply the Spanish-language translation of Texan. It's a play on words, not a description of the musical lineup.

The first Go Tejano Day featured Roberto Pulido, Emilio Navaira and Vikki Carr performing at the Astrodome. (Carr, for the record, is a pop singer.) Tejano acts occupied the slot for several more years. It made sense at the time. Tejano music was entering its golden era, led by Selena, La Mafia and Navaira. All three performed multiple times at RodeoHouston and helped popularize the sound outside of the U.S.

Attendance records were regularly set and broken on Go Tejano Day. But Tejano music began its decline after the 1995 death of Selena. There was simply no other act who could match her star power and level of success. The Grammys and Latin Grammys eliminated the stand-alone Tejano category several years ago. Radio moved away from the format.

Oscar de la Rosa of La Mafia pumps up the 55,000-plus RodeoHouston crowd in the Dome in 1998.

Norteño acts began to split the bill with Tejano performers. Grupo Limite, a wildly popular group from Mexico, was the first non-Tejano act to play Go Tejano Day in 1997. The late Navaira, who played the first Go Tejano Day, was the last Tejano act to play RodeoHouston in 2007.

Through the years, the Go Tejano Day controversy has incited calls for boycotts, online petitions and protests. In 2015, La Mafia frontman Oscar de la Rosa went on a profanity-laced tirade at Club El Dorado, accusing RodeoHouston of being "anti-Tejano" and telling them to "kiss my Teajno (expletive)."

None of it has affected Go Tejano Day's popularity. Six of RodeoHouston's top 10 most-attended shows fell on Go Tejano Day. None of them include Tejano performers. Los Tigres del Norte's 2019 show holds the all-time record with 75,586 paid attendance. Norteño, banda and regional Mexican acts fill out the rest.

Award winning Tejano music artist Little Joe speaks during a press conference in 2008. Tejano leaders from across the state asked Hispanics not to attend the Houston Rodeo because of the exclusion of Tejano music from the main stage at the rodeo.

Tejano artists can still fill venues around Texas. But it's largely the same acts who have been doing it for years: Little Joe y La Familia, David Lee Garza, La Mafia. The big winners at the most recent Tejano Music Awards were Jay Perez and Shelly Lares, who released their first albums three decades ago.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2023 at 1:21 PM, Eastside said:They won't add another Tejano/Norteno day either, it's already the most dreaded day for every committeemen to work. Shit show. I actually like the line up this year, glad I moved my seats up from 100s to the club this year.

Hlsr should be appalled if anyone associated with the org made that statement, but that’s ‘they’ indoctrinating the younger board members

On 1/6/2023 at 1:21 PM, Eastside said:

If a woman could sell out NRG, she'd be there. 

Every female act that my daughter has begged me to take her to has cost me out the ass because they were complete sell outs and hot tickets.  There is no act she wants to see this year and no act I want to see this year.  This will be the first time I can remember that we won’t be going.  This is the worst line up I can remember.  No rock, classic or otherwise, no up and coming pop for the tweens to faint over, no K-pop.   Might as well be a (deleted for no cr purposes) rally this year.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

I like Bun B, I like his commitment to the city, but I don’t think he’s earned a permanent spot at the show. Lizzo and Megan Thee Stallion are from Houston too, and would put on better shows. Also check the diversity/female act box. 

HLSR owes Lizzo one after her show got canceled in 2020. They rescheduled Gwen Stefani. Not sure what the issue is here. 

I think the HSLR’s goal is sell season tickets, and they’ll schedule accordingly. 

On 1/8/2023 at 12:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

HLSR owes Lizzo one after her show got canceled in 2020. They rescheduled Gwen Stefani. Not sure what the issue is here. 

Her availability this year.

HLSR has a wish list, and they pay attention to who is charting, who is touring well, etc... They stack rank and start reaching out well in advance.  Some bands have standing invitations and work well with the staff.  Others are permanently banned.  Some bands have tours already booked and can't work around it.  Others don't want to perform because of beliefs (such as cruelty to animals - not kidding).  Others don't want to perform because they aren't comfortable in the setting (having everyone so far away.  It definitely bothers some acts.  New stage and other things have helped over the years).

You are always going to see similar acts year over year.  Most up-and-comers don't fill up the stadium and/or have the right connections to be invited (and are too big for the Hideout/Wine Garden stages).  #1 goal of the show is money.  If they are not going to sell out or come close, the show isn't too interested.

The rodeo has spent tons on diversity studies, and is always looking for ways to include all aspects of Houston.  The big issue there is that first and foremost, this is a livestock show and rodeo event, and that is not for everyone.

Best thing this year is to head out early on the 11th, grab free drinks at the poultry junior market auction (maybe help out the kids), then wander over and see Turnpike.

And Go Tejano Day is a nightmare for committee members just from the sheer size of the crowd.  Best thing to do is sit in a suite and drink tequila all day.*

*These views are my own and do not reflect the views of HLSR is any way, shape, or form. (in case tx 3 putt was wondering)

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Spoetzl said:

Her availability this year.

HLSR has a wish list, and they pay attention to who is charting, who is touring well, etc... They stack rank and start reaching out well in advance.  Some bands have standing invitations and work well with the staff.  Others are permanently banned.  Some bands have tours already booked and can't work around it.  Others don't want to perform because of beliefs (such as cruelty to animals - not kidding).  Others don't want to perform because they aren't comfortable in the setting (having everyone so far away.  It definitely bothers some acts.  New stage and other things have helped over the years).

You are always going to see similar acts year over year.  Most up-and-comers don't fill up the stadium and/or have the right connections to be invited (and are too big for the Hideout/Wine Garden stages).  #1 goal of the show is money.  If they are not going to sell out or come close, the show isn't too interested.

The rodeo has spent tons on diversity studies, and is always looking for ways to include all aspects of Houston.  The big issue there is that first and foremost, this is a livestock show and rodeo event, and that is not for everyone.

Best thing this year is to head out early on the 11th, grab free drinks at the poultry junior market auction (maybe help out the kids), then wander over and see Turnpike.

And Go Tejano Day is a nightmare for committee members just from the sheer size of the crowd.  Best thing to do is sit in a suite and drink tequila all day.*

*These views are my own and do not reflect the views of HLSR is any way, shape, or form. (in case tx 3 putt was wondering)

Good post. Very inside baseball. Unfortunate timing. Lizzo appears to be Europe most of March. 

If you have any control of it spoetzl, please anybody other than Bun B on Hip Hop Night next year. I’d rather see Tupac’s hologram at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If you have any control of it spoetzl, please anybody other than Bun B on Hip Hop Night next year. I’d rather see Tupac’s hologram at this point. 

Ha, well, don't be surprised to see both Bun B and Lizzo out there next year, and not necessarily on the 2nd Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 3:46 PM, Spoetzl said:

HLSR has a wish list, and they pay attention to who is charting, who is touring well, etc... T

All of this...

It blows my mind every year when the lineup comes out.  Artists have to be available, they have to want to do it, they have to be desirable, and they have to draw.  It's not like the Rodeo just gets to pick who they want when they want.  I mean if they could it would be Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, George Strait, the ghost of Hank Williams, Dolly Parton, etc. every year

9 hours ago, uoftorange said:

All of this...

It blows my mind every year when the lineup comes out.  Artists have to be available, they have to want to do it, they have to be desirable, and they have to draw.  It's not like the Rodeo just gets to pick who they want when they want.  I mean if they could it would be Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Garth Brooks, George Strait, the ghost of Hank Williams, Dolly Parton, etc. every year

that lineup would be better than what they usually have. 

also, fuck Garth Brooks.