Houston livestock show and rodeo

htownjd

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ms. Daigle put on a good show tonight. I was very skeptical going in. Christian music. Sort of drunk. And I heard a very talented voice. Very smoky Louisiana. She could have been successful in blues, rock, or country but the Good Lord called her. 

been a fan since she played ACL

https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/music/acl-fest/2019/10/12/yes-that-really-is-lauren-daigles-voice-at-acl-fest-2019/2544537007/

Edited by Viper

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn, what were they driving ?

I know the truck broken into was a F150 and the SUV stolen was a Santa Fe, don’t know what the other two drove. Car thefts are crazy all over the country and up here in the NE - didn’t know they’d hit Texas. It sucks.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces

2 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I know the truck broken into was a F150 and the SUV stolen was a Santa Fe, don’t know what the other two drove. Car thefts are crazy all over the country and up here in the NE - didn’t know they’d hit Texas. It sucks.  

Santa fe’s can be hacked with a usb cable 

Edited by tx 3 putt

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d strongly recommend Uber. If you live inside the Beltway, it’s roughly the same price. 

It was $250 opening night back to Washington ave area 

33 minutes ago, royiv said:

peyton manning wtf GIF by Gatorade

200.gif

Edited by tx 3 putt

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

HLSR needs an India / Bollywood night, it wouldn’t break all attendance records 

someone should force their hand 

It’d have to be one off night with no rodeo events. I don’t think Bollywood is going to sell tickets like George Strait or Garth Brooks. No offense.

NRG is basically all monster truck rallies/empty in the summer. Have at it hoss. 

I think most paying rodeo attendees prefer traditional country acts. If anything the HSLR should double down. Brooks and Dunn and Turnpike were/are very tough tickets. 

Yes, I fully acknowledge I’m whiter than Wonder bread. 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It was $250 opening night back to Washington ave area 

200.gif

On the first, don't use Uber. Get a private driver. My guy charges us $100 to take us down there and back from Montrose. He drops us off on Kirby right by the north gate and picks us up on Kirby on the south side of the stadium. Don't mess with the surge pricing or the rideshare lot.

On the second, I was making a stupid joke about stealing a Hyundai.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’d have to be one off night with no rodeo events. I don’t think Bollywood is going to sell tickets like George Strait or Garth Brooks. No offense.

NRG is basically all monster truck rallies/empty in the summer. Have at it hoss. 

I think most paying rodeo attendees prefer traditional country acts. If anything the HSLR should double down. Brooks and Dunn and Turnpike were/are very tough tickets. 

Yes, I fully acknowledge I’m whiter than Wonder bread. 

A Bollywood night would kill it. Bun B is the biggest seller this year and he's not country. 

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Grab a drink at a Midtown bar and take the trian for $1.25. Free parking

Also this. Probably the cheapest option. I had to pay $40 to get back to Memorial tonight. Probably more of a late Friday night thing than a rodeo deal though. The grounds were abandoned when I headed back. 

Something that has worked well for me over the years is head to Armadillo Palace (used to go to Kay’s before they sadly closed), have a beer, and grab an uber to the Holiday Inn at La Concha & Kirby.  After the show, head back to the Holiday Inn and hit the bar there to enjoy the barrel racers and buckle bunnies.  Then grab an uber back to Armadillo.

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Two friends have had their cars stolen and two others had theirs broken into during the rodeo. Heads up to anyone going. 

San Antonio and Houston are known to be high risk theft destinations by all rodeo contestants and contractors coming in from across the country.   San Antonio is worse and more brazen than Houston.  Trucks are ripe for stealing and use in transporting illegals from the border back to metropolitan areas.  

I had lunch on Tuesday with one of the contractors and one of the judges.  Contractor from Montana had his truck swiped in SA and twice in Houston.   Judge from Louisiana had his swiped once in Houston.  

They use rentals now.  

It’s bad. 

1 hour ago, Spoetzl said:

Something that has worked well for me over the years is head to Armadillo Palace (used to go to Kay’s before they sadly closed), have a beer, and grab an uber to the Holiday Inn at La Concha & Kirby.  After the show, head back to the Holiday Inn and hit the bar there to enjoy the barrel racers and buckle bunnies.  Then grab an uber back to Armadillo.

Fucks, this answer does

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:35 AM, mycox said:

Grab a drink at a Midtown bar and take the trian for $1.25. Free parking

This.  I work downtown and I always take the train.  And the last two years the payment kiosk near the Rusk stop didn’t work so it cost nothing. 

I just couldn't get up for CoJo, and I wanted to watch the Texas game so I skipped Brad Paisley. I have to volunteer at church this evening, so I'm out on Luke Bryan. 

My rodeo is over. I'll have to eat 40 bucks of Corral Club tickets, but oh well. 

I really hope the HLSR/HPD reconsider closing segments of Kirby before shows. It caused countless traffic nightmares. Some people would rather stay home than deal with that nonsense. 

42 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just couldn't get up for CoJo, and I wanted to watch the Texas game so I skipped Brad Paisley. I have to volunteer at church this evening, so I'm out on Luke Bryan. 

My rodeo is over. I'll have to eat 40 bucks of Corral Club tickets, but oh well. 

I really hope the HLSR/HPD reconsider closing segments of Kirby before shows. It caused countless traffic nightmares. Some people would rather stay home than deal with that nonsense. 

Aren’t tickets good the next year?

Edited by Dry Elbows

Yeah I don’t want to turn this into the bitch around the HLSR thread. Closing Kirby was probably a mistake. Most of parking lots require use of Kirby for access. 

I think they really need to push overflow parking, shuttles, and dedicated drop off/pick up locations that are actually close to the stadium. They’d obviously have to scale that up. 

The park and rides worked pretty well back in the day, but they inexplicably dropped the Delmar Stadium location. So basically the entire west and northwest sides of the city don’t have a park and ride option. There are large Metro Stations at Post Oak and I 10 and 6 and I 10. Getting the west side some service seems like a pretty easy fix. 

I think the train is hopeless unless they an additional stop. This would probably require another GD bond and a massive infrastructure project. 

• 9 months later...

2024 Entertainer Lineup is out: 

image.jpeg.534f800ba9ea21a2784dab3d416b2124.jpeg

https://cw39.com/news/local/houston-rodeo/full-concert-lineup-for-houston-livestock-show-and-rodeo-2024/amp/

They nabbed two pretty hot acts in Jelly Roll and Lainey Wilson. Jonas Bros will put asses in seats. I’d imagine Morgan Whalen and Zach Bryan were cost prohibitive and sell out NRG on their own. 

No complaints. Better than last year. They’ll never drop Brad Paisley and Luke Bryan from the lineup. 

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I'm usually a rodeo entertainment line-up apologist, but this shit is laaaaammmmme. 

Will get wasted. Will go to some shows when forced to go with my wife/family/friends/neighbors. Will spend a lot of money on Corral Club tickets. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

• 1 month later...