Todd Snider - Has Anyone seen this guy?

Al_4_ISU

This thread needs resurrected from the Shag.  New album "Cash Cabin Sessions, Vol. 3" out in March.  First song dropped today.  Classic fucking Todd.  Some days he's my favorite songwriter.  It goes back and forth between him and Mike Cooley.  James McMurtry and Evan Felker push into that tier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emq06IPYxD0

• Like 3

On 1/11/2019 at 10:02 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This thread needs resurrected from the Shag.  New album "Cash Cabin Sessions, Vol. 3" out in March.  First song dropped today.  Classic fucking Todd.  Some days he's my favorite songwriter.  It goes back and forth between him and Mike Cooley.  James McMurtry and Evan Felker push into that tier as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emq06IPYxD0

Man, we're like musical taste brothers from other mothers.  Although I tend to be one of the few that dig Hood's tunes more than Cooley's and I love Cooley.  And I have too spent countless hours of tractor windshield time starting at 9 years old.

I have made some lifelong friends through the Shithouse Wire.  It is a pretty awesome group of people considering it's facebook and all.

Anyone else going to the Ryman to see Todd on 4/20?  Should be pretty epic.

2 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Man, we're like musical taste brothers from other mothers.  Although I tend to be one of the few that dig Hood's tunes more than Cooley's and I love Cooley.  And I have too spent countless hours of tractor windshield time starting at 9 years old.

I have made some lifelong friends through the Shithouse Wire.  It is a pretty awesome group of people considering it's facebook and all.

Anyone else going to the Ryman to see Todd on 4/20?  Should be pretty epic.

I love Patterson too, but Cooley has a better sense of melody and that pushes him over the edge in my mind.

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Cooley is a genius. Even in the songs that don’t click with me there’s at least one line of brilliance. 

Totally.

Patterson deserves a lot of credit for recognizing that early in their partnership and pushing him to write.  He wasn't interested in writing songs at first, but Patterson saw his brilliance and leaned on him hard to write.  "Panties In Your Purse" was the first song he ever wrote.

I was perplexed when a poster had Todd on their death pool list in a different thread. Is he not still clean and sober? Have seen him several times. Was first introduced to his music when he used to open for John Prine on Oh Boy records.
He hasn't been sober in a long time.....maybe stretches. I don't think he drinks any more but smokes a ton of weed and way more acid...... especially when he is with HWA and Great American Taxi. When he is just the singer, he is usually really stoned. Look up the Todd Snider Banana story on YouTube
  • Like 1

Yeah, Todd Snider not drinking, switching to heavy doses of acid, and thinking he's better off for it is like a morbidly obese person that quits eating carbs, and then piles through 15 lbs of steak a day thinking "at least I'm off the carbs".

I love Todd, but he's definitely not sober.  He honestly seemed way more fucked up during the HWA days then he ever did when drinking.  Some of those HWA shows, he was down to literally skin and bones.  I think pain pills (as opposed to booze) have been his biggest demon, FWIW.  Hope he's off those at least.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Posted on The Shithouse Wire.   Little bit of talent in Cheatham St that night (and of course many others).  

Todd, Kent, James, Bruce, Terry, Lloyd, Hal...

When James crackes up at Todd's story, it may have been the first time I have ever seen McMurtry really belly laugh at something.  He keeps his own counsel.

Skip past all the noise at the beginning and watch until the end.  Terry Hendrix looked like she was going to jump under Todd.

Edited by Ten Bears

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Cristo, Bruce Robison is just a mind-blowingly good songwriter.  He is so adept with a turn of a phrase, and manages to wrap it all up in interesting melodies.  

Look at the other songwriters while he's playing.  They're all at half-jaw (similar to half-mast, just the other direction).

And, of course . . . McMurtry.  No bullshit about that guy.  And then we have Snider in some sort of semi-elliptical orbit passing by earth now and again but probably swinging out past Pluto for a few months when everyone back home is going "hey, where's Todd?"

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Cristo, Bruce Robison is just a mind-blowingly good songwriter.  He is so adept with a turn of a phrase, and manages to wrap it all up in interesting melodies.  

Look at the other songwriters while he's playing.  They're all at half-jaw (similar to half-mast, just the other direction).

And, of course . . . McMurtry.  No bullshit about that guy.  And then we have Snider in some sort of semi-elliptical orbit passing by earth now and again but probably swinging out past Pluto for a few months when everyone back home is going "hey, where's Todd?"

this verse from Bruce's 'when it rains' is beyond compare 

She had a little boy somewhere.
She showed me a picture.
That moment I remember,
her face was a mixture
of the joy of rememberin'
and a pain you don't
have ta explain.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, bluto said:

this verse from Bruce's 'when it rains' is beyond compare 

She had a little boy somewhere.
She showed me a picture.
That moment I remember,
her face was a mixture
of the joy of rememberin'
and a pain you don't
have ta explain.

I was particularly intrigued with

Yeah well she weren’t no beauty but that didn’t matter

Mind full of fire, body like a Saturday night

And to me, well the mystery and she were the same

And then there was that voice that you just wanna hear when it rains

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2019 at 9:48 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I didn't know this

He's singing that to Anita from Doublewide Blues.  I tear up every time I see it.  "My friend Anita loves him, but he don't know.  He's too busy chasing my neighbor's wife, Flo."

-edit

To be clear Anita is an old friend of Todd's and this video is the first music she heard after getting cochlear implants a while back.  

Edited by Ten Bears

I have all of Bruce's stuff he has released and some that he hasn't.  To me, his best album is Country Sunshine.  "When It Rains" is from EP, "It Came From San Antonio".  Title cut is his song about Doug Sahm.  Really great record with a beautiful duet with Eleanor Whitmore.    His album "Eleven Stories" is fantastic as well.  

Old school Todd rocking one of his most underrated tunes in my old college watering hole.

Dave Zollo on the keys.  He's an Iowa guy, and a friend of an old family friend.  Partied with him once or twice.  Cool guy.  CSB.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I have all of Bruce's stuff he has released and some that he hasn't.  To me, his best album is Country Sunshine.  "When It Rains" is from EP, "It Came From San Antonio".  Title cut is his song about Doug Sahm.  Really great record with a beautiful duet with Eleanor Whitmore.    His album "Eleven Stories" is fantastic as well.  

I saw Bruce at the grocery store this morning.

That's all I got.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going to see him Friday in St. Paul.  Should be a blast.  Last time I saw him at this venue, Isbell opened (right before Southeastern came out) and played Elephant for what might have been the first public performance.  Todd was fantastic, but it's hard to top that.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Todd's Ryman 420 show was epic.  John Prine came on with him and closed it out with Illegal Smile.  I have never heard an audience singing along so well.  It was fucking loud.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Were you there with the Shithouse Choir gang?  Looks like they had a fabulous time.  Cowboy Jim is looking in fine spirits these days.    Saw a bunch of pics with Todd and K.K. Rider.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1