Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...

DEC 22, 2021.             DOUG SAMUELS

Alabama has two key assistants test positive for COVID

Offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and offensive line coach Doug Marrone have both tested positive for COVID.  With COVID cases rising nationally, nearly all fans of college football have thought about how college football's bowl games and the College Football Playoff may eventually be impacted.

Today, Alabama announced that offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and offensive line coach Doug Marrone have both tested positive for COVID.

Nick Saban shared a statement on the situation:

screen-shot-2021-12-22-at-125800-pm.webp

The good news is that both O'Brien and Marrone's symptoms are mild, and that Saban expects them to be able to coach in their game December 31st.

How Saban and the Crimson Tide coaching staff navigate game prep for Cincinnati without two key coaches around is going to be a developing situation to keep an eye on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alabama football's Pete Golding arrested and charged with DUI

Nick Kelly, The Tuscaloosa News

Thu, February 3, 2022, 11:20 AM

Alabama football defensive coordinator Pete Golding has been arrested and charged with DUI, according to Tuscaloosa County Jail inmate records.

Northport assistant police chief Keith Carpenter said Stephen Thomas Golding – Pete Golding's full name – was arrested at 1 a.m. Thursday. Golding's bond was set at $500.

As of 11 a.m., he remained in jail. He will be kept there pending passing a sobriety test or for 12 hours, whichever comes first.

Alabama did not immediately provide a statement to The Tuscaloosa News.

Golding joined Alabama's staff ahead of the 2018 season. He has served as Alabama's lone defensive coordinator since 2019.

Golding also coaches inside linebackers and is one of Alabama's lead recruiters. The Crimson Tide just completed its 2022 signing class Wednesday, and Nick Saban spoke about Golding's impact as a recruiter during a national signing day news conference.

“I think Pete has a great personality," Saban said. "I think he spends a lot of time with players. And I think it’s all about relationships. I know that we have a good product here. Pete does a great job of selling that product. But I think in the end, the players know that he cares about them."

This story will be updated

On 2/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, LTtxfan said:

Look what was found by @RaysBoomBoomRoom 

Yeah Right Saban... 😂😂😂

giphy.gif

He really hasn't had to. ESPN sent recruits his way in troves...  Once Florida flopped, Tebow cried, McCoy went down, and Mac wanted to convert to the spread, power I, wishbone, veer, run and shoot, gun and fun, smash mouth, air raid, pro-style, west coast, chutes and ladders, mousetrap, ants in your pants, barrel of monkeys offense, ESPN has been sending recruits to Alabama and by default the rest of the SEC by the truckloads...  not saying Saban has been a saint or Bama hasn't spent money at some time, but with ESPN cobb gobbling them, they haven't had to spend much.   

Just think how back to back shit plays in Lubbock, and Colt going down right out of the gate, possibly changed who's nub ESPN ended polishing for the next decade and a half....  Not that Mac-Charlie wouldn't have fucked it up anyways, so we would've only gotten blown for 2 or 3 years before getting dumped.  Lol

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

He really hasn't had to. ESPN sent recruits his way in troves...  Once Florida flopped, Tebow cried, McCoy went down, and Mac wanted to convert to the spread, power I, wishbone, veer, run and shoot, gun and fun, smash mouth, air raid, pro-style, west coast, chutes and ladders, mousetrap, ants in your pants, barrel of monkeys offense, ESPN has been sending recruits to Alabama and by default the rest of the SEC by the truckloads...  not saying Saban has been a saint or Bama hasn't spent money at some time, but with ESPN cobb gobbling them, they haven't had to spend much.   

Just think how back to back shit plays in Lubbock, and Colt going down right out of the gate, possibly changed who's nub ESPN ended polishing for the next decade and a half....  Not that Mac-Charlie wouldn't have fucked it up anyways, so we would've only gotten blown for 2 or 3 years before getting dumped.  Lol

Something to this.  But initially he probably paid players NOT to play at other institutions.  So he can specifically say he didn't pay them to play for 'Bama.  

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Alabama football's Pete Golding arrested and charged with DUI

Nick Kelly, The Tuscaloosa News

Thu, February 3, 2022, 11:20 AM

Alabama football defensive coordinator Pete Golding has been arrested and charged with DUI, according to Tuscaloosa County Jail inmate records.

Northport assistant police chief Keith Carpenter said Stephen Thomas Golding – Pete Golding's full name – was arrested at 1 a.m. Thursday. Golding's bond was set at $500.

As of 11 a.m., he remained in jail. He will be kept there pending passing a sobriety test or for 12 hours, whichever comes first.

Alabama did not immediately provide a statement to The Tuscaloosa News.

Golding joined Alabama's staff ahead of the 2018 season. He has served as Alabama's lone defensive coordinator since 2019.

Golding also coaches inside linebackers and is one of Alabama's lead recruiters. The Crimson Tide just completed its 2022 signing class Wednesday, and Nick Saban spoke about Golding's impact as a recruiter during a national signing day news conference.

“I think Pete has a great personality," Saban said. "I think he spends a lot of time with players. And I think it’s all about relationships. I know that we have a good product here. Pete does a great job of selling that product. But I think in the end, the players know that he cares about them."

This story will be updated

Saban crosses a milestone in staff hiring

In bringing in four new assistants, Saban has now employed more than 50 full-time assistant coaches

ZACH BARNETT               5 HOURS AGO

Do you think they'll do a ceremony at some point? If so, would be a cookies-and-punch thing at the office, or a happy hour at a bar nearby? Because this is certainly the type of milestone worth celebrating, an occasion that calls for getting the family back together to swap stories about the old days. 

With the hiring of four new assistants this winter, Nick Saban has now employed more than 50 full-time, on-the-field assistant coaches as he prepares for his 16th season at Alabam

By my count, the official number now sits at 52. 

Alabama 2022 staff
Bill O'Brien -- Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks (2021 hire date)
Holmon Wiggins -- Assistant head coach of offense/wide receivers (2019)
Robert Gillespie -- Running backs (2021)
Joe Cox -- Tight ends (2022)
Eric Wolford -- Offensive line (2022)

Pete Golding -- Defensive coordinator/inside linebackers (2017)
Charles Kelly -- Associate defensive coordinator/safeties (2019)
Coleman Hutzler -- Outside linebackers/special teams (2022)
Freddie Roach -- Defensive line (2020)
Travaris Robinson -- Cornerbacks (2022)

Though a 40 percent roster change may sound like a lot, it's actually par for the course in the Alabama staff room. In 15 offseasons, Saban has averaged 3.1 changes per year*. At no time has he ever brought back the same nine or 10 men from one year to the next. 

Offseason Personnel Changes Result

2007-08

SEC West champs, Sugar Bowl

2008-09

National Champions

2009-10

4th place SEC West, Citrus Bowl

2010-11

National Champions

2011-12

National Champions

2012-13

2nd place SEC West, Sugar Bowl

2013-14

SEC champs, CFP semifinalist

2014-15

National Champions

2015-16

SEC champs, CFP finalist

2016-17

National Champions

2017-18

SEC champs, CFP finalist

2018-19

2nd place SEC West, Citrus Bowl

2019-20

National Champions

2020-21

SEC champs, CFP finalist

2021-22

TBD

* In getting to 52 total coaches, a handful of coaches have done multiple stints in Tuscaloosa. One coach (Jay Graham) was announced as a full-time assistant but left before coaching a game; he was replaced by Drew Svoboda. 

Thirteen former assistants have become FBS or NFL head coaches, a rate of over 30 percent when considering 10 of the 52 are on Saban's staff right now. 

As you can see, the rate of change has slowed down, relatively, on the defensive side of the ball, thanks to Pete Golding's longevity. 

Offensive Coordinator -- 5 in the past 7 seasons
Quarterbacks Coach -- 5 in the past 7 seasons
Wide Receivers Coach -- 4 in the past 7 seasons
Running Backs Coach -- 4 in the past 6 seasons
Offensive Line Coach -- 4 in the past 5 seasons
Tight Ends Coach -- 5 in the past 7 seasons

Defensive Coordinator -- 3 in the past 6 seasons
Inside Linebackers Coach -- 3 in the past 8 seasons
Defensive Line Coach -- 4 in the past 6 seasons
Safeties Coach -- 7 in the past 11 seasons
Cornerbacks Coach -- 8 in the past 11 seasons
Special Teams Coordinator -- 6 in the past 8 seasons

But the past 15 years have shown us it doesn't matter if the staff room carousel slows down or speeds up, Alabama will win anyway. Change is inevitable, and so change is good. The faces change, but the voice remains the same.

"When you come here, you’re running Alabama's offense," Bill O'Brien said last year. "You’re not bringing your offense in here. And it’s a great offense with a great history. And it was really awesome to learn it, but it was very challenging.”

Who helped O'Brien learn the offense he was purportedly running? Bryce Young. 

“For someone to have the track record that he has and still come in and be humble enough to say, ‘hey, how do you guys read this?’” Young said. “‘How do you guys feel about this? Do you like this play? How has this worked in the past?’ I think having that conversation early on was really big for us, really big for me. And I think that was kind of big for us learning together.”

Young was recruited to Alabama by Steve Sarkisian, but the SoCal native and childhood Trojan fan never would've donned the crimson in the first place had Lane Kiffin not opened up Alabama's offense, had Tosh Lupoi not gone to Hawaii and gotten him, had Brian Daboll, Mike Locksley and Sarkisian not effectively coached him within the constraints of Alabama's offense.

Now consider where each of the men mentioned in the above paragraph are now:

- Bryce Young is the reigning Heisman Trophy winner.
- Tua Tagovailoa is the Miami Dolphins quarterback.
- Kiffin, Sarkisian, Locksley and Daboll are the head coaches of Ole Miss, Texas, Maryland, and the New York Giants.
- Tosh Lupoi is the defensive coordinator at Oregon.
- And Bill O'Brien is the offensive coordinator at Alabama, earning one of the highest wages in the sport while he bides his time until the next move. 

The Process is hyper-focusing on the micro, fully trusting that, in doing so, the macro will take care of itself. The above list is the proof positive that The Process works. No matter how uncomfortable the short-term may be, the long-term results make it a price worth paying. 

Finally, here is a full accounting of Saban's coaching staffs, dating back to his inaugural year of 2007:

Year OC QBs RBs WRs OL TEs

M. Applewhite

M. Applewhite

B. Burns

C. Cignetti

J. Pendry

R. Middleton

J. McElwain

J. McElwain

B. Burns

C. Cignetti

J. Pendry

B. Williams

J. McElwain

J. McElwain

B. Burns

C. Cignetti

J. Pendry

B. Williams

J. McElwain

J. McElwain

B. Burns

C. Cignetti

J. Pendry

B. Williams

J. McElwain

J. McElwain

B. Burns

M. Groh

J. Stoutland

B. Williams

D. Nussmeier

D. Nussmeier

B. Burns

M. Groh

J. Stoutland

B. Williams

D. Nussmeier

D. Nussmeier

B. Burns

B. Napier

M. Cristobal

B. Williams

L. Kiffin

L. Kiffin

B. Burns

B. Napier

M. Cristobal

B. Williams

L. Kiffin

L. Kiffin

B. Burns

B. Napier

M. Cristobal

B. Williams

L. Kiffin

L. Kiffin

B. Burns

B. Napier

B. Key

M. Cristobal

D. Daboll

D. Daboll

B. Burns

M. Locksley

B. Key

J. Pannunzio

M. Locksley

D. Enos

J. Pannunzio

J. Gattis

B. Key

J. Banks

S. Sarkisian

S. Sarkisian

C. Huff

H. Wiggins

K. Flood

J. Banks

S. Sarkisian

S. Sarkisian

C. Huff

H. Wiggins

K. Flood

J. Banks

B. O'Brien

B. O'Brien

R. Gillespie

H. Wiggins

D. Marrone

D. Svoboda*

B. O'Brien

B. O'Brien

R. Gillespie

H. Wiggins

E. Wolford

J. Cox

And now the defense.

Year DC ILBs OLBs DL DBs STC

K. Steele

K. Steele

L. Thompson

B. Davis

K. Smart

K. Smart

K. Steele

L. Thompson

B. Davis

K. Smart

K. Smart

K. Smart

J. Willis

B. Davis

J. Pruitt

K. Smart

K. Smart

S. Sunseri

B. Davis

J. Pruitt

K. Smart

K. Smart

S. Sunseri

C. Rumph

J. Pruitt

K. Smart

K. Smart

L. Thompson

C. Rumph

J. Pruitt

K. Smart

K. Smart

L. Thompson

C. Rumph

G. Brown

K. Smart

K. Steele

L. Thompson

B. Davis

K. Smart

K. Smart

K. Smart

T. Lupoi

B. Davis

M. Tucker

J. Pruitt

J. Pruitt

T. Lupoi

K. Dunbar

D. Ansley

J. Pruitt

J. Pruitt

T. Lupoi

K. Dunbar

D. Ansley

T. Lupoi

P. Golding

T. Lupoi

C. Kuligowski

K. Scott

P. Golding

P. Golding

S. Sunseri

B. Baker

C. Kelly/K. Scott

P. Golding

P. Golding

S. Sunseri

F. Roach

C. Kelly/K. Scott

P. Golding

P. Golding

S. Sunseri

F. Roach

C. Kelly/J. Valai

D. Svoboda*

P. Golding

P. Golding

C. Hutzler

F. Roach

C. Kelly/T. Robinson

C. Hutzler

Alabama should have a reunion for all of Saban's acolytes. They should drink punch (or something stronger), trade war stories, compare their jewelry, and celebrate the degrees and NFL dollars they've collectively produced for the hundreds of players in their charge over the past 15-plus seasons. And Papa Nick should pick up the tab. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-crosses-milestone-50-assistant-coaches

Edited by LTtxfan

Sources: Ex-Tennessee coach, Dallas Cowboys asst. Derek Dooley to reunite with Saban

Dooley previously worked with Saban at both LSU and the Miami Dolphins

JOHN BRICE     FEB 16, 2022

Derek Dooley is returning to his former mentor, Nick Saban.

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Dooley, the former University of Tennessee and Louisiana Tech head coach who early in his career worked for Saban at both LSU and the Miami Dolphins, will join Saban’s Alabama Crimson Tide staff in a senior offensive analyst role.

Most recently, Dooley spent the past season on staff with the New York Giants after a long run with the Dallas Cowboys following the end of his tenure on Rocky Top.

Additionally, Dooley served as Missouri’s offensive coordinator and helped turn former Tigers quarterback Drew Lock into the 42nd pick of the 2019 NFL Draft.

For Saban, it’s a familiar move to again load the Crimson Tide’s off-the-field positions with former head coaches. Dooley as an analyst for the Tide follows the route of Lane Kiffin, Butch Jones, Steve Sarkisian and myriad others.

Saban also had a pair of former NFL head coaches on his Tide staff in 2021, with Bill O’Brien running the Tide’s offense and Doug Marrone as its offensive line coach.   

Nick Saban Calls Out His Own Players (Late Kick Cut)

February 21st, 2022

Tells High School Coaches that 3 of his back-up players last year, didn't do what was necessary in practice to perform well when called upon in the National Championship Game. 

Saban made it out like these 3 players were upset about not playing and didn't put in the work to be ready to play...  😋

On 2/14/2022 at 3:55 PM, LTtxfan said:

Somehow I think this will change...

Bama to Stop Selling Alcohol

AD Greg Byrne says pending further review of service fee, Alabama athletics will not move forward with alcohol sales

$100 bucks says the city of Tuscaloosa has a "change of heart" on this service fee decision....cutting off their nose....

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

$100 bucks says the city of Tuscaloosa has a "change of heart" on this service fee decision....cutting off their nose....

Probably right, but its alcohol so the city has to at least put on a farce and pretend to try and tax it. Churchie Le’Pews will be happy, then put their football team above their values. ‘Merica, etc.

On 2/2/2022 at 10:14 AM, LTtxfan said:

Look what was found by @RaysBoomBoomRoom 

Yeah Right Saban... 😂😂😂

giphy.gif

well, Bama didn’t pay players, the boosters paid  players.  And  they didn’t pay “A player”, they paid all the players.  It’s all in the wording. 

I once did this with code enforcement from city of Austin, these 2 dipshits came out and started harassing me about some patios and covered space in my yard because of impervious coverage.  

“Did you build this patio and outdoor kitchen?”  No, “I” did NOT build this outdoor patio and kitchen.   (A guy named Jose and his guys built the patio and kitchen)

”You’re trying to tell me this patio was here when you bought the property?”  I’m telling you, all of this stone was right here on the property when I bought it. (The stone was, in fact, on the property, it was field stone the guys uncovered and and used for the patio.  

They accused me of lying to them, I accused them of being dumbasses.  

• 1 month later...

Funny seeing folks mad at SARK's comments about keeping certain comments in house... 

Saban doesn't want players saying anything negative and won't allow Freshmen to be interviewed.  

Hurts hasn’t spoken with reporters this season in keeping with one of Nick Saban’s hardline rules – freshmen aren’t allowed to speak with the media.  Saban didn’t relent this year just because a true freshman was now starting at the most important and visible position on his team. A rule is a rule is a rule.

That changed Saturday because of an overriding Southeastern Conference rule.

After Alabama’s 54-16 over Florida in Atlanta, both teams are obligated to open their locker rooms to reporters and make everyone available for questions.

(Yes, there really is somebody who can tell even Nick Saban what to do.)

Because of that, Hurts spent nearly 14 minutes answering questions from reporters. It would’ve gone on longer, but at that point, Alabama athletics communications personnel believed they had satisfied the SEC rule and shooed reporters out of the locker room.

Also this just out...

Edited by LTtxfan

• immamac changed the title to Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic