Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

Paul Finebaum jumped on WJOX 94.5 Monday morning to discuss the Tide’s reported coaching hires.

“I think it’s really critical at this point in (Nick) Saban’s career (Alabama’s veteran coaching hires),” Finebaum said. “Before any of us say he totally blew it last year and it was a terrible decision (to have a younger staff), he did get what he wanted. He wanted to improve recruiting. That’s quite an accomplishment when you’re the best recruiter in college football history and reeled off eight or nine or 10 straight No. 1 classes and you don’t finish No. 1 and then, you decide to go out and retool.

“Did that cost him in the national championship game? It probably didn’t help.”

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, Magus Ossis said:

And those guys know what coaching there will mean. The coordinators are there to use a year of grinding under Saban to launch new HC opportunities, and the assistants expect to fill the roster by whatever means necessary.

Saban bringing  in 3 former P5 CFB Head Coaches as new Assistants........ Definitely changing back to a group of more experienced assistant coaches.

For the second year in a row, Alabama’s coaching staff will be almost completely different.  So far, the Tide have lost five on-field assistants to other programs — Mike Locksley (HC at Maryland), Dan Enos (OC at Miami), Josh Gattis (OC at Michigan), Brent Key (OL coach at Georgia Tech) and Tosh Lupoi (DL coach at Cleveland Browns). Locksley, Enos, Gattis and Lupoi served in their 2018 roles for just one season, and all of them are elite recruiters.

Following their departures, Nick Saban has reportedly hired Steve Sarkisian for his OC, former Rutgers head coach Kyle Flood for his OL coach, Mississippi State’s Charles Huff for his RBs coach and Tennessee’s Charles Kelly as his DBs coach. Butch Jones is also reportedly sticking around at Alabama, too. That’s three former Power 5 head coaches (Sarkisian, Flood and Jones), and Kelly is a former DC at FSU.

From 2017 to 2018, Saban retooled his staff to get younger and more aggressive on the recruiting trail. It worked, as the Tide will sign the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class in this cycle. Now, he’s retooling his staff somewhat differently, going with veteran coaches. While the 2019 staff may not be perceived as great on the recruiting trail, the on-field coaching and development will likely improve.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-coaching-staff-2019-paul-finebaum/

Edited by LTtxfan

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, LTtxfan said:

If we’re supposed to have only five guys on the field as coaches, we’re making sure we have five. We’re not doing it the wrong way and we’re having fun doing it.”

Renfrow later tried to walk back that comment, but regardless of whether he meant that as a shot or not, that’s still a different perception than Saban has ever had to deal with at Alabama.

I saw Butch Jones coaching on the sideline during the NC and called bullshit at the time.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, LTtxfan said:

Still wondering about whether Butch Jones fills that 10th open coaching spot at Bama.  BJ is still currently on Bama Staff and reportedly turned down an Asst Coaching job at Maryland.....

Looks like Butch will stay in off field role for 2019 at Bama and Vols still paying him -- Butch might be hoping to get another Head Coaching job for 2020?  (Jones is still receiving payments from his $8.2 million buyout after he was fired by Tennessee in 2017. A source told BamaInsider.com that Alabama coach Nick Saban values Jones due to his high attention to detail.)

"Virginia Tech's Holman Wiggins will be hired to fill the role of Wide Receivers coach at Bama.  Wiggins’ arrival likely means Butch Jones will continue to take an off-the-field role with the Crimson Tide."

Wiggins would be the sixth new assistant to join Alabama this offseason, joining Steve Sarkisian, Charles Huff, Kyle Flood, Charles Kelly and Sal Sunseri.

Five assistants from last year’s coaching staff have taken new jobs with other teams as offensive coordinator Mike Locksley (Maryland), defensive coordinator/outside linebackers coach Tosh Lupoi (Cleveland Browns), co-offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach Josh Gattis (Michigan), associate head coach/ quarterback coach Dan Enos (Miami) and offensive line coach Brent Key (Georgia Tech)."5

https://alabama.rivals.com/news/holmon-wiggins-2

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/21/2019 at 5:26 AM, LTtxfan said:

More Chess moves.....

Saban hired RBs coach Charles Huff away from Mississippi State........  Looks like Pannunzio might move to a position off the field.  

Speculation is the final offensive coach slot may be Butch Jones???

Also:  "Former Alabama player Lance Taylor, the wide receivers coach for the NFL Carolina Panthers last season, is also considered an active candidate to return to Tuscaloosa."

https://www.tidesports.com/huff-set-to-join-alabama-staff-in-2019/

DAMN.... Another Miss State asst coach just hired by Saban..  DL Coach Brian Baker  

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Football-to-add-Mississippi-State-DL-coach-Brian-Baker-to-staff-128369274/

(Another article says Saban was really interested in bringing Bo Davis back to Bama but Bo's "Show Cause" does not expire till April 2019.)  

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/alabama-intel-on-brian-baker-bo-davis-tide-d-line-job.html

Edited by LTtxfan

Great post by Ctj on Bama from another thread...

Ctj:  "Spoke to someone who knows Saban and is as close to this stuff nationally as anyone. He thinks there's merit to Saban negging ATM to Shepherd, hard. I know we laugh at those fuckers for their paranoia, but this is far from an aggie passing on validity. 

I have a couple of good friends inside the Evil Empire itself, but I got nothing from them on anything right now, understandably. There have been recent missives thrown out there that this season is going to be the big push for Saban to win another one and then walk. He's had staff turnover again and has replaced killer recruiters with what he thinks are the best coaches on the market. 

Along those lines, and I've mentioned it in one of these threads - the Golding guy on his staff is who he thinks is going to be the next big thing in CFB. OU made a run at him and I'm glad he passed to stay on under Saban's wing. He's a stud recruiter and "has savant like qualities" when it comes to finding weaknesses in offenses. I think he's just been, or will be, elevated to DC, but I haven't looked it up so someone can fact check it. "

Stumbled on this Bama article that has interesting info on Bama's issues in defense in 2018.

https://www.rollbamaroll.com/2019/1/18/18188016/jumbo-package-the-ghost-of-enos-says-golding-not-lupoi-was-calling-the-defense

Since there’s nothing else to talk about, we might as well beat this assistant coach thing into the ground. It has now been confirmed in multiple places that Pete Golding was actually calling the defense in the playoffs, and had been as far back as October.

After some early struggles during the season, Saban stripped Lupoi of defensive play-calling responsibilities and handed them over to co-defensive coordinator Pete Golding, according to sources. Saban had poached Golding from UT-San Antonio in the offseason in part to alleviate concerns about Lupoi’s inexperience with the secondary and as a play-caller. Still, word is Lupoi seemed overwhelmed during practices and didn’t totally grasp situational play-calling. While he was still heavily involved in the defensive game-planning, there was no question Golding taking over play-calling represented a demotion of sorts for Lupoi barely into the start of his defensive coordinator stint. Additionally, it was clear within the program how much Saban valued Golding, especially given he fended off other schools including Ole Miss in order to keep Golding at Alabama. It gave Lupoi reason enough to look for a soft landing place once Alabama’s season ended.

There have been rumblings of Washington’s Jimmy Lake and other DC candidates interviewing, but Saban fought hard to keep Golding in town and seems to be very high on him. I fully expect Pete to be the coordinator. 

But, "If Saban didn’t promote Lupoi to defensive coordinator, he was likely to lose him."  Saban chose unwisely....

Even before Nick Saban promoted Tosh Lupoi to defensive coordinator, there were internal questions within the Alabama program about whether he’d be up for the job.

Lupoi, who played defensive line at Cal, had zero experience working with the defensive secondary, a critical component of Saban’s defense. Lupoi was known as a tireless worker and talented position coach during his three years as Alabama’s outside linebackers coach but there were concerns about whether he’d be up to the task in areas like situational play-calling and recognizing what an opponent is doing in-game and being able to adjust on the fly, which had been a big strength of previous Tide defensive coordinators Kirby Smart and Jeremy Pruitt.

"Lupoi seemed overwhelmed during practices and didn’t totally grasp situational play-calling. "

After some early struggles during the season, Saban stripped Lupoi of defensive play-calling responsibilities and handed them over to co-defensive coordinator Pete Golding, according to sources.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/01/why-tosh-lupoi-leaving-alabama-was-long-expected.html

• 2 weeks later...

Saban blaming Bama players for poor loss to Clemson .....

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/02/nick-saban-alabama-factor-clemson-loss

Via press conference video from AL.com, Saban said:

“We kind of have the ‘Alabama factor’ around here. That has always helped us be successful. That’s having a team that plays with a lot of discipline, that’s having a team that everybody is sort of responsible and accountable to do their job at a high level and a standard and everybody puts the team first. All right? So that’s the standard, and it’s up to the individual players on the team to do that.

“And if I thought that we weren’t doing that in one game or ten games, I would address it with the players and make sure that everybody was on board with those principles and values that’s helped us be successful. I don’t think we played in that game with the Alabama factor. So everybody needs to understand that and respond to it.

“If you lose your humility, it sort of creates (the thinking): I am above doing things the way I need to do them to to prepare for a game and go play in a game against good competition. And if I put my own agenda ahead of the team or winning, it’s going to have some effect on my performance. So if I think those things are existing in the program, I think that they need to be addressed, and they have been.”

"Saban is basically implying that Alabama lost the national championship game because it spent the whole 2018 season winning too much. That’s a thinker." USAToday

Similar article:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/02/nick-saban-tide-was-missing-alabama-factor-in-clemson-loss.html

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

"Saban is basically implying that Alabama lost the national championship game because it spent the whole 2018 season winning too much. That’s a thinker." USAToday

One could argue, SEC competition doesn't really breed success; as conferences like XII & ACC have dynamic offenses... SEC only has UA & UGA offensively...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

One could argue, SEC competition doesn't really breed success; as conferences like XII & ACC have dynamic offenses... SEC only has UA & UGA offensively...

Agree...... SEC is an overrated product as the result of: 1) The ESPN blowhard megaphone; 2) 8 Game bullshit conference schedule set-up with no balls non-conf games;  3) Bama coattail riding asskissing other sec member teams.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kopp0e said:

The bad offense in the SEC creates the illusion of great defense - at least in the passing game.  The lack of passing threat and consequent ability to load the box also skews run defense numbers somewhat - making decent to good run defense look better than that.  The standard issue 3 cupcakes schedule inflates stats across the board of course.

Having Georgia and Bama as the best passing teams really doesn't do much to help the defenses develop.  They are beating people with talent rather than scheme.  So the competitive response has generally been to hire better bagmen rather than better DCs - with the notable exception of LSU who appears to be pursuing a 2-track approach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

The bad offense in the SEC creates the illusion of great defense - at least in the passing game.  The lack of passing threat and consequent ability to load the box also skews run defense numbers somewhat - making decent to good run defense look better than that.  The standard issue 3 cupcakes schedule inflates stats across the board of course.  Having Georgia and Bama as the best passing teams really doesn't do much to help the defenses develop.  They are beating people with talent rather than scheme.  So the competitive response has generally been to hire better bagmen rather than better DCs - with the notable exception of LSU who appears to be pursuing a 2-track approach.

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, BurntEyes said:

First, it's you I'm calling out specifically because it's your MO time and time again to do this shit.

Next, I don't drink so I've no interest in a drink bet aside from the fact that you wouldn't show up any fucking way.

So the bet is Bama won't make the championship game next year.

The stake I propose is $500.00. The money goes to a betting account to be handled my a neutral 3rd party within 2 weeks.

You won't take the bet, because you can't welch, so I don't know why your even asking.

Whoever wins should donate it to a good cause. Children's hospitals, something for animals, etc. Make the bet fun but for something like bragging and helping the less fortunate. Just my two cents 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

“We kind of have the ‘Alabama factor’ around here. That has always helped us be successful. That’s having a team that plays with a lot of discipline, that’s having a team that everybody is sort of responsible and accountable to do their job at a high level and a standard and everybody puts the team first. All right? So that’s the standard, and it’s up to the individual players on the team to do that.

“And if I thought that we weren’t doing that in one game or ten games, I would address it with the players and make sure that everybody was on board with those principles and values that’s helped us be successful. I don’t think we played in that game with the Alabama factor. So everybody needs to understand that and respond to it.

“If you lose your humility, it sort of creates (the thinking): I am above doing things the way I need to do them to to prepare for a game and go play in a game against good competition. And if I put my own agenda ahead of the team or winning, it’s going to have some effect on my performance. So if I think those things are existing in the program, I think that they need to be addressed, and they have been.”

Similar article:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/02/nick-saban-tide-was-missing-alabama-factor-in-clemson-loss.html

Jeez Nick.  Did the players call that craptacular fake FG?  Is it the players' fault that your pattern matching zones broke down against vertical flood concepts?  Is it Tua's fault that nobody taught him to make post snap reads against disguised defenses?  Saban is a great coach but he's a turd of a human being and needs to accept responsibility as well as credit.

http://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-announces-2019-coaching-staff-led-seven-new-coaches/

Alabama announced seven — SEVEN! — new assistants included in its 2019 staff. The new staff breaks down as follows:

Steve Sarkisian — Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks
Charles Huff — Associate head coach/running backs
Holmon Wiggins — Wide receivers
Kyle Flood — Offensive line
Jeff Banks — Tight ends/special teams coordinator*

Pete Golding — Defensive coordinator/inside linebackers*
Brian Baker — Associate head coach/defensive line
Charles Kelly — Associate defensive coordinator/safeties
Sal Sunseri — Outside linebackers
Karl Scott — Cornerbacks*

* – Holdover from 2018 staff

On 2/9/2019 at 11:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

When Saban steps down (whenever that is), Bama will swing for the fences. They will try for Dabo first, assuming nothing happens between now and then to make him radioactive. If Urbs is still in retirement from whatever his latest health issue is, he would likely be next in line. If Riley is in the NFL and not killing it there, I think he would be high on the list as well. Probably one of the young coaches at p5 non-blue-bloods will be making noise, and that would be my guess for their consolation prize. All this assumes that Saban is not allowed to name/groom his own successor. Bama would probably let him designate a blown-out tire with a whistle taped to it if that's what it took to keep him around another year.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:00 PM, Magus Ossis said:

When Saban steps down (whenever that is), Bama will swing for the fences. They will try for Dabo first, assuming nothing happens between now and then to make him radioactive. If Urbs is still in retirement from whatever his latest health issue is, he would likely be next in line. If Riley is in the NFL and not killing it there, I think he would be high on the list as well. Probably one of the young coaches at p5 non-blue-bloods will be making noise, and that would be my guess for their consolation prize. All this assumes that Saban is not allowed to name/groom his own successor. Bama would probably let him designate a blown-out tire with a whistle taped to it if that's what it took to keep him around another year.

Gimme Bill Clark.

They gonna try to steal Herman.

Saban takes 2020 3Star Commitment.....  aggy will get mad when Jahquez gets upgraded to a 4Star.  Following his pledge, Alabama is up to 11 commitments in the 2020 recruiting cycle. The Bama 2020 class is currently ranked No. 1 in the nation.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/jahquez-robinson-alabama-crimson-tide-commitment-pledge-2020/

https://247sports.com/Player/Jahquez-Robinson-46047835/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 2/15/2019 at 4:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

http://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-announces-2019-coaching-staff-led-seven-new-coaches/

Alabama announced seven — SEVEN! — new assistants included in its 2019 staff. The new staff breaks down as follows:

Steve Sarkisian — Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks
Charles Huff — Associate head coach/running backs
Holmon Wiggins — Wide receivers
Kyle Flood — Offensive line
Jeff Banks — Tight ends/special teams coordinator*

Pete Golding — Defensive coordinator/inside linebackers*
Brian Baker — Associate head coach/defensive line
Charles Kelly — Associate defensive coordinator/safeties
Sal Sunseri — Outside linebackers
Karl Scott — Cornerbacks*

* – Holdover from 2018 staff

You might find this useful as well.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Tracking-Alabama-Footballs-off-the-field-staff-changes-128028255/

On 2/9/2019 at 11:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

Random neural firings:

Crazy how one game changes perception. Prior to the Clemson game, a LOT of people were saying this Alabama team was the best ever, maybe in the history of college football. Now, a lot of people are questioning Saban's methodology and speculating on his retirement. It's a little too early to declare the Tide as a dead, over the hill program. 

Anyone who has a successful career going at a P5 that has a legit shot to make the playoffs with an undefeated season would be insane to take the Bama job after Saban leaves. Saban had to win multiple titles before people quit wanting to dig up Bear Bryant's corpse and prop him up on the sidelines. They'll do the same thing with whoever replaces Saban. 

Saban's big strength is that since he's gotten the program rolling, he has the ability to keep four and five star athlete egos in check, at least on the field. If a coach is used to dealing with three star athletes, the four and five stars are a whole different animal. Think Ed Oliver and Major Applewhite. A three star thinks he's lucky to be with a program. A five star thinks the program is lucky to have him. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Random neural firings:

Crazy how one game changes perception. Prior to the Clemson game, a LOT of people were saying this Alabama team was the best ever, maybe in the history of college football. Now, a lot of people are questioning Saban's methodology and speculating on his retirement. It's a little too early to declare the Tide as a dead, over the hill program.

Sure, but to those not prone to emotional overreactions (except when watching our own team), it was obvious that this Bama team had a major flaw or two. Their defense wasn't that great, and their QBs never had to read defenses. It came back to bite them in the ass.

I'm not saying they're dead, but they have had to ask a lot of questions lately that they haven't asked in a long time.

Also, who could forget all those "BEST EVARRRR" OU teams that could beat NFL bottom dwellers but got destroyed in bowl games. People are dumb. And emotional.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sure, but to those not prone to emotional overreactions (except when watching our own team), it was obvious that this Bama team had a major flaw or two. Their defense wasn't that great, and their QBs never had to read defenses. It came back to bite them in the ass.

I'm not saying they're dead, but they have had to ask a lot of questions lately that they haven't asked in a long time.

Also, who could forget all those "BEST EVARRRR" OU teams that could beat NFL bottom dwellers but got destroyed in bowl games. People are dumb. And emotional.

Most of us realistic fans knew there were holes. The OL was way over hyped(Jonah Williams was the only great one) and the defense had lost the entire secondary from the year before, not to mention several keys cogs in the front seven. If Quinnen Williams was not such a beast, it would have been even worse. I think they might be more well rounded this upcoming year.  They did not need to be a stellar OL against most of the teams they played against, until they ran into the buzzsaw of Clemson. UGA and even OU tested them a little. Also, Tua was not nearly the same player he was prior to the UGA game, where he got injured on the first possession.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Thx... great article. 

What's interesting is Saban likes developing his assistants and off-the-field staff..... then seeing some leave.... only to return back to Bama later.

It's one of the ways he likes to replace current staff when they get burnt out......

Major, Sal Sunseri and Sarkisian are all returning to Saban's mother-ship for 2019.....

Edited by LTtxfan

http://footballscoop.com/news/putting-alabamas-insane-level-staff-turnover-perspective/

But over the past handful of seasons — since the start of the College Football Playoff era, more or less — Saban’s staff turnover has reached near-annual levels. Consider the following rate of turnover:

Offensive Coordinator — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Quarterbacks Coach — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Wide Receivers Coach — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Running Backs Coach — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Offensive Line Coach — 3 in the past 5 seasons
Tight Ends Coach — 3 in the past 4 seasons

Defensive Coordinator — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Inside Linebackers Coach — 3 in the past 5seasons
Defensive Line Coach — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Defensive Backs Coach — 7 in the past 7 seasons
Special Teams Coordinator — 4 in the past 5seasons

Saban also has 5 former CFB Head Coaches on his current staff:

Steve Sarkisian (Wash & USC)

Butch Jones   (Tenn, Cincinnati & CMU)

Major Applewhite  (UH)

Mike Stoops  (Arizona)

Kyle Flood  (Rutgers)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butch Jones  buyout and staying an analyst at Bama still hurting Tennessee.....

Jones made $35,000 as an analyst last season.  He’s due more than $2.4 million in Tennessee buyout payments throughout 2019, according to the terms of his contract and taking his analyst salary into account.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2019/02/18/ut-vols-butch-jones-buyout-alabama-analyst-salary-nick-saban/2905032002/

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

http://footballscoop.com/news/putting-alabamas-insane-level-staff-turnover-perspective/

But over the past handful of seasons — since the start of the College Football Playoff era, more or less — Saban’s staff turnover has reached near-annual levels. Consider the following rate of turnover:

Offensive Coordinator — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Quarterbacks Coach — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Wide Receivers Coach — 4 in the past 4 seasons
Running Backs Coach — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Offensive Line Coach — 3 in the past 5 seasons
Tight Ends Coach — 3 in the past 4 seasons

Defensive Coordinator — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Inside Linebackers Coach — 3 in the past 5seasons
Defensive Line Coach — 3 in the past 3 seasons
Defensive Backs Coach — 7 in the past 7 seasons
Special Teams Coordinator — 4 in the past 5seasons

Saban also has 5 former CFB Head Coaches on his current staff:

Steve Sarkisian (Wash & USC)

Butch Jones   (Tenn, Cincinnati & CMU)

Major Applewhite  (UH)

Mike Stoops  (Arizona)

Kyle Flood  (Rutgers)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Butch Jones  buyout and staying an analyst at Bama still hurting Tennessee.....

Jones made $35,000 as an analyst last season.  He’s due more than $2.4 million in Tennessee buyout payments throughout 2019, according to the terms of his contract and taking his analyst salary into account.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/football/2019/02/18/ut-vols-butch-jones-buyout-alabama-analyst-salary-nick-saban/2905032002/

Pretty funny..... now Bama PR making sure to say Saban is not so bad to work for.  Just look who's returning to Coach at Bama -- Applewhite, Sal Sunseri and Sarkisian.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2019/02/how-recent-hires-have-only-improved-perception-of-alabama-coach-nick-saban.html

I’m under the impression that the difference between “coach” and “analyst” is that the latter is not allowed to interact with players on the practice field (and, I assume, during games). From MensaTom’s statement that his job is to coach coaches, not players, it seems that the analysts also take that coach-coaching role, as well as game-planning and in-game adjusting. Does NC2A allow them to be on sideline and/or box?

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I’m under the impression that the difference between “coach” and “analyst” is that the latter is not allowed to interact with players on the practice field (and, I assume, during games). From MensaTom’s statement that his job is to coach coaches, not players, it seems that the analysts also take that coach-coaching role, as well as game-planning and in-game adjusting. Does NC2A allow them to be on sideline and/or box?

Won't answer all of your questions, but Machinator found this article......

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/behind-scenes-what-exactly-does-an-alabama-football-analyst-do

Their roles are a blend between graduate assistant and advance scout. Unlike a quality control position in the NFL or a graduate assistant in college, analysts are not among the group of coaches the NCAA allows to instruct players. Analysts and quality control coaches, like GAs, are not permitted to recruit. By NCAA rules, GAs also must be enrolled as graduate students, as the name suggests. Analysts do not need to be enrolled in classes.

“It’s kind of taken to the pro format,” Helton says of his staffing at USC. “When you look at the NFL, you have the first assistant and second assistant. You have a full-time coach who is actually coaching the position and a quality control that’s getting a lot of the work done for the coach from a cut-up standpoint or computer standpoint. It’s almost like he has his own assistant for meeting preparation.”

Dan O’Brien (Bama) describes the role as the college version of an NFL advance scout, reporting tendencies noticed on film.  “It saved the full-time coaches from doing a lot of extra stuff,” says O’Brien, who is now the secondary coach at Navy. “You try to take a little off their plate and allow them to focus on the game-planning aspects of things.”

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Won't answer all of your questions, but Machinator found this article......

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/behind-scenes-what-exactly-does-an-alabama-football-analyst-do

Their roles are a blend between graduate assistant and advance scout. Unlike a quality control position in the NFL or a graduate assistant in college, analysts are not among the group of coaches the NCAA allows to instruct players. Analysts and quality control coaches, like GAs, are not permitted to recruit. By NCAA rules, GAs also must be enrolled as graduate students, as the name suggests. Analysts do not need to be enrolled in classes.

“It’s kind of taken to the pro format,” Helton says of his staffing at USC. “When you look at the NFL, you have the first assistant and second assistant. You have a full-time coach who is actually coaching the position and a quality control that’s getting a lot of the work done for the coach from a cut-up standpoint or computer standpoint. It’s almost like he has his own assistant for meeting preparation.”

Dan O’Brien (Bama) describes the role as the college version of an NFL advance scout, reporting tendencies noticed on film.  “It saved the full-time coaches from doing a lot of extra stuff,” says O’Brien, who is now the secondary coach at Navy. “You try to take a little off their plate and allow them to focus on the game-planning aspects of things.”

I'm not sure how accurate that part is. Huff is an analyst and he definitely coaches. He also definitely recruits on-campus.

Coaching staff permitted: HFC+10 assistants. Only these 11 may recruit off-campus. There may also be 4 enrolled grad student assistants who are permitted to contact players in practice and games as well as to wear headsets. Undergraduate coaches are not limited in number but may not wear headsets in games. 4 player headsets are permitted. One statistician headset and two non-coaching technical support personnel strictly to ensure comm systems function. In addition to the 11 off-campus recruiters, up to 19 additional personnel (designated in advance) may contact recruits remotely and recruit on-campus. Strength and conditioning staff may work with athletes in conditioning non-practice activity. QC assistants, analysts, and other "non-coaches" may not coach athletes in practice or games.

An area in which I am not sure I understand exactly what the rule is: analysts going over opponent or own-team film. From NCAA bylaws

11.7.1.1.1.1 Noncoaching Activities. Institutional staff members involved in noncoaching ac- tivities (e.g., administrative assistants, academic counselors) do not count in the institution’s coaching limitations, provided such individuals are not identified as coaches, do not engage in any on- or off-field coaching activities (e.g., attending meetings involving coaching activities, analyzing video involving the institution’s or an opponent’s team), and are not involved in any off-campus recruitment of prospective student-athletes or scouting of opponents. A noncoaching staff member with sport-specific responsibil- ities may not participate with or observe student-athletes in the staff member’s sport who are engaged in nonorganized voluntary athletically related activities (e.g., pick-up games).

This seems at odds with what I understand to be the role of guys like Fedora. If a newer rule is out there or if there is an NCAA interpretation clarifying why it is OK, I would love to be corrected/updated.

Read Magus note: " In addition to the 11 off-campus recruiters, up to 19 additional personnel (designated in advance) may contact recruits remotely and recruit on-campus. "

Has staff limit of 30 designated for recruiting activities finally been adopted?

Saw this 2018 article on Staff Size:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-staff-size-proposal-tabled?sf179504638=1

"The Division I Council, acting on a recommendation from the Division I Football Oversight Committee, tabled a legislative proposal designed to set parameters on football staff sizes.  The proposal would have required schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision to designate 30 individuals who will participate in on-campus football recruiting activities."

Also.....

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Bolt/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-NCAA-tabling-of-football-coaching-staff-size-proposal-should-please-Nick-Saban-113849484/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Read Magus note: " In addition to the 11 off-campus recruiters, up to 19 additional personnel (designated in advance) may contact recruits remotely and recruit on-campus. "

Has staff limit of 30 designated for recruiting activities finally been adopted?

Saw this 2018 article on Staff Size:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-staff-size-proposal-tabled?sf179504638=1

"The Division I Council, acting on a recommendation from the Division I Football Oversight Committee, tabled a legislative proposal designed to set parameters on football staff sizes.  The proposal would have required schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision to designate 30 individuals who will participate in on-campus football recruiting activities."

Also.....

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Bolt/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Football-NCAA-tabling-of-football-coaching-staff-size-proposal-should-please-Nick-Saban-113849484/

That rule may not have been enacted. I regret the error.

44 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

That rule may not have been enacted. I regret the error.

Reference is unclear to me. Do you regret that specific error, or error in general?

It seems like the recruiting limitation (on-campus, anyway) is contemplated but not yet enacted, and  I was wondering about the loopholes in specific coaching allowed. It has appeared that the Analysts - some of them, anyway - are in fact present on the sidelines, although I'd not seen one wearing a headset, and had not noticed much activity (but definitely some) talking directly with players on the sideline. I also assumed that some are among the contingent in the "press" box, which always has a senior coach with a headset (Beck, so far) and seems to have another headset or two floating around - not certain about the extra(s). Were it my bailiwick, I'd want to make sure to have spares available - you know, for when Watson (or his successor) throws his headset through the replay screen... I'd also want to have a crew of Analysts watching every play, with replay capability to catch tells and misalignments from opponents - during the game - and with ability to  communicate with the "real" coaches. They could be anywhere, as long as they have computers with screens available, so as to avoid any limitations on personnel based on headset counts... 

• immamac changed the title to Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic