Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it blows me away, that saban has had so many talented coaches on his staff and he has bill obrien as his oc. the man is a coaching idiot and hold back this bama offense

He's a cancer. I hope Saban keeps him forever. 

Just pissed that those bastards have gotten by us twice because our QB got hurt. Fuck Bama.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nick Saban details how they lay out their weekly game prep

Want to game plan like the Alabama staff? Here's how Nick Saban lays out his entire week.

DOUG SAMUELS        5 HOURS AGO

Someday, Nick Saban will write a book that details the ins and outs of The Process. It will be an immediate New York Times Bestseller and coaches and business leaders everywhere will attempt to recreate Saban's success in their own life with the blueprint he has created and tweaked over the years.

At least, that's what many of us are hoping for.

Earlier this week, Saban was asked about the amount of prep he and his staff put in each week and how much time they have to put in to really feel comfortable heading into their next opponent.

His answer did not disappoint and was full of great details.

"We start at 12 o'clock, noon, on Sunday as a coaching staff. We already have the film graded of the previous game, we do that before 12 o'clock. We go over it on offense, we go over it on defense, we go over it on special teams."

"So probably about 3 o'clock in the afternoon I'll start watching the other team and I will watch the other team for six hours, until about 8:30 or 9 o'clock at night. Then the first thing I do is I meet with the defense and decide what we're going to do in Monday's practice, which is an abbreviated practice, but we still try to put in the basic plan and adjustments to our basic coverages.

"The next day, I start with the defense, look at the special teams, meet with special teams, start watching the offense, and I actually meet with the offense on Tuesday morning after watching 2-3 hours of their defense."

"Then we will watch everything situationally. Each day...so Monday is basically special teams and game plan. Tuesday we do 1st and 10, 2nd and long, goal line and short yardage. So I'm going to look at all the 2nd and long plays. I'm going to look at goal line and short yardage and what they do in those, and we are going to install a plan on both sides of the ball on what we are going to do on those days. Tuesday night we will look at 3rd down, all the passes, and the red area."

"On Wednesday we do two-minute and two-point plays. Then, we are watching all the practice film in between doing all these things as well. The first thing we do when we come off the practice field is watch the practice film of that day and that probably takes two-and-a-half of three hours."

He goes on to note the big difference between college and the NFL is the 20-hour limit with the players. He shares that the meetings with players consists of 15 minutes of special teams and an hour and five minutes on defense and offense, and all of that is very organized in their prep and presentation of the pertinent information.

Saban shares that he also has a book he looks at during film. That book coordinates with the film being watched. Included on each page is the formation, the play that was run, the defense that they ran and how they adjusted the coverage. As he's looking at the film, he's got a picture that correlates to each clip where he's able to make notes as he goes through. 

After introducing the game plan, he shares that they go out and walk through everything that was introduced, they teach them how to do what is being asked in individual, then a group period where they do it, before finally going to team where they put it all together.

Hear his full answer below.

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sources: Fast-rising Austin Armstrong, one of college football's top young defensive coaches, strong candidate for role at Alabama

Multiple sources tell FootballScoop that Armstrong is a strong candidate to join the staff at Alabama after consecutive years running the Golden Eagles’ ‘Nasty Bunch’ defense.

Southern Miss saw its first defense under Armstrong in 2021 rank among the most-improved units in college football; the Eagles’ stop-unit climbed 18 spots from 60th to No. 42 in total defense.

The group was top-10 in FBS in first downs allowed and red zone defense, ranking second and sixth respectively.

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-austin-armstrong-alabama-football

This would really be a surprise...

One name I’ve heard is Jeff Lebby’: ESPN’s Pete Thamel on potential Alabama OC opening

Ben Dackiw.       Thu, January 19, 2023

With a potential divorce looming between the Alabama Crimson Tide and offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien, one of the most coveted jobs in the country could be opening up in a matter of days. According to a report from Pro Football Talk, O’Brien has become the primary target for the New England Patriots offensive coordinator job.

On “The Paul Finebaum Show,” ESPN’s Pete Thamel mentioned Jeff Lebby as a potential candidate to replace O’Brien.

“I would think that Nick Saban saw the fits that Tennessee and Josh Heupel gave him this year, and offensively, I think they’ll probably trend a little bit and maybe overcorrect a little bit more that way as they go,” Thamel shared with Finebaum. Now, I’m not saying they’re gonna turn into the Baylor offense from the mid-2000s. But one name I’ve heard is (Jeff Lebby), the Oklahoma offensive coordinator. He’s obviously had success in the SEC West footprint.”

If O’Brien’s time is indeed up at Alabama, Nick Saban will have a line out the door of candidates lining up to replace him. While some Sooners fans have had their fill of Jeff Lebby after his first season back in Oklahoma, the young offensive mind would be a massive loss for Brent Venables and the program.

Lebby spearheaded Jackson Arnold’s and many other recruitments. If Lebby did leave, Arnold and others could possibly follow him. Now that would be bad.

Though the Alabama job would be very attractive to a number of coordinators, there are a number of reasons why it’s more likely Lebby sticks around Norman.

Jeff Lebby is a very well-paid man. He’s one of the highest-paid assistant coaches in college football and will earn $1.9 million in 2023. He has two years left on his contract, and Alabama would have to pay a pretty penny to acquire his services.

Next, the family angle. Lebby is a married man and has changed jobs and locations four times since 2016. Is he really going to leave Oklahoma, his dream job, and move again? His relationships with the coaching staff and the university would make it unlikely he’d leave the Sooners in a lateral move.

The Sooners will also be moving to the SEC quite soon, perhaps as early as 2024. Lebby will be an SEC offensive coordinator soon enough. No need to jump to Alabama if being in the SEC is a draw.

Nick Saban could very well come calling for Jeff Lebby’s services, but this doesn’t feel like the right timing. Dillon Gabriel’s returned for another season with Lebby and the Sooners. Jackson Arnold and a number of other 2023 early enrollees just arrived on campus.

He will be getting head coaching offers somewhere down the line. Until then, he’s got a great gig in Norman and an offense that is doing some really good things.

Bobby Burton reported on his livestream video tonight that Saban was turned down by Ryan Grubb

Nick Saban reportedly meeting with top Pac-12 coordinator about Alabama OC vacancy

Ryan Grubb helped Washington jump from 72nd to 1st in passing in one year. Could he be on the move to Tuscaloosa?

https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-reportedly-meeting-with-ryan-grubb-washington-alabama-offensive-coordinator-vacancy

• Like 1

Report: Alabama's Nick Saban Received NIL Requests from 2 Players Totaling $1.3M

TIMOTHY RAPP      JANUARY 31, 2023

Nick Saban doesn't appear to be thrilled with the trajectory of NIL requests from potential incoming recruits.

The Alabama football head coach, speaking at the 18th annual Alabama Football Coaches Association convention on Thursday in Montgomery, reportedly told attendees that a cornerback recruit requested $800,000 to sign with the Crimson Tide and another player in the transfer portal requested $500,000, per Glenn Guilbeau of OutKick and Nick Alvarez of AL.com.

Saban reportedly turned down both players.

One of the attendees at the ALFCA convention, Baker High School coach Steve Normand, told Guilbeau that Saban said the following about the cornerback: "Someone with one of the best corners in the nation [in high school] came to me and asked if we'd pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play. ... I'm not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

Clarence Williams, the offensive and recruiting coordinator at Ramsay High, was also in attendance and told Alvarez that Saban said the following: "This ain't the school for you then because it's not fair for those that are already here for someone to come in and ask, who hadn't played a snap yet, and proved yourself on that level, already demanding money."

Saban reportedly told attendees that the player in the transfer portal who requested $500,000 also asked that his girlfriend be enrolled at law school at Alabama and that her tuition be covered.

"I showed him the door," Saban reportedly said.

Saban, 71, has been critical of NIL deals in the past. In May, he accused Texas A&M of buying its 2022 recruiting class, which finished atop 247Sports' rankings. Alabama was No. 2.

"I know the consequence is going to be difficult for the people who are spending tons of money to get players," he said at a business event, per Mike Rodak of AL.com. "You read about it, you know who they are. We were second in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness."

There's no question that the NIL rules have changed the landscape of college recruiting. There's also no question that head coaches like Saban have exorbitant sums of money from college football, with Saban reportedly under contract for eight years and $93.6 million.

That always lends a touch of hypocrisy to complaints about a system that now allows college athletes to also make money from the multibillion-dollar sport they participate in, even if the unregulated nature of the current system has created a Wild West feel to the NIL landscape.

It's made life for coaches like Saban more complicated, no doubt. Whether that's actually a bad thing for the sport, or its athletes, is another debate entirely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Bobby Burton reported on his livestream video tonight that Saban was turned down by Ryan Grubb

Nick Saban reportedly meeting with top Pac-12 coordinator about Alabama OC vacancy

Ryan Grubb helped Washington jump from 72nd to 1st in passing in one year. Could he be on the move to Tuscaloosa?

https://footballscoop.com/news/nick-saban-reportedly-meeting-with-ryan-grubb-washington-alabama-offensive-coordinator-vacancy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Report: Alabama's Nick Saban Received NIL Requests from 2 Players Totaling $1.3M

TIMOTHY RAPP      JANUARY 31, 2023

Nick Saban doesn't appear to be thrilled with the trajectory of NIL requests from potential incoming recruits.

The Alabama football head coach, speaking at the 18th annual Alabama Football Coaches Association convention on Thursday in Montgomery, reportedly told attendees that a cornerback recruit requested $800,000 to sign with the Crimson Tide and another player in the transfer portal requested $500,000, per Glenn Guilbeau of OutKick and Nick Alvarez of AL.com.

Saban reportedly turned down both players.

One of the attendees at the ALFCA convention, Baker High School coach Steve Normand, told Guilbeau that Saban said the following about the cornerback: "Someone with one of the best corners in the nation [in high school] came to me and asked if we'd pay them $800,000 for the player to sign here. I told him he can find another place to play. ... I'm not paying a kid a bunch of NIL money before he earns it."

Clarence Williams, the offensive and recruiting coordinator at Ramsay High, was also in attendance and told Alvarez that Saban said the following: "This ain't the school for you then because it's not fair for those that are already here for someone to come in and ask, who hadn't played a snap yet, and proved yourself on that level, already demanding money."

Saban reportedly told attendees that the player in the transfer portal who requested $500,000 also asked that his girlfriend be enrolled at law school at Alabama and that her tuition be covered.

"I showed him the door," Saban reportedly said.

Saban, 71, has been critical of NIL deals in the past. In May, he accused Texas A&M of buying its 2022 recruiting class, which finished atop 247Sports' rankings. Alabama was No. 2.

"I know the consequence is going to be difficult for the people who are spending tons of money to get players," he said at a business event, per Mike Rodak of AL.com. "You read about it, you know who they are. We were second in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness."

There's no question that the NIL rules have changed the landscape of college recruiting. There's also no question that head coaches like Saban have exorbitant sums of money from college football, with Saban reportedly under contract for eight years and $93.6 million.

That always lends a touch of hypocrisy to complaints about a system that now allows college athletes to also make money from the multibillion-dollar sport they participate in, even if the unregulated nature of the current system has created a Wild West feel to the NIL landscape.

It's made life for coaches like Saban more complicated, no doubt. Whether that's actually a bad thing for the sport, or its athletes, is another debate entirely.

I get not wanting to deal with the high price headaches. And that those guys will probably never be worth the money. But it's kind of chickenshit considering all the money he has made off this game to be on stage acting all high and mighty. Now that his grandkid's grandkids are basically set for life.

No need to be crow about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/1/2023 at 6:09 PM, closetojumping said:

More than that, he's full of shit. He's the "GOAT" in large part because he's been paying players and handlers for the last two decades and doing so as aggressively as anyone in the sport. When only 8-10 schools are truly playing the bag game, and one is Ohio State (different geography) and two are in the ACC (Clemson and FSU), yeah, Alabama and LSU are going to fucking clean up. Now that that competitive advantage has been wiped out, and the price of poker has gone way up, he's whining and begging for intervention and calling for the integrity of the game to be saved. He's an old cheating bitch, fuck him. 

They tried to vie for Muhammad and couldn't put the NIL deal together. He then gets a new religion and talks of running him off. Meanwhile, the motherfucker paid for Tony Mitchell just before NSD1 when Auburn had a handshake deal. He didn't tell that guy to look elsewhere, because he and his boosters couldn't handle the look of losing that guy to Auburn on a NSD1 flip. 

Look, Bama just signed the #1 class in the country, again. So, hey, things look just fine. Maybe they are, but he and his staff got outhustled this cycle and in the portal for dynamic playmakers. They took Hale because they had to do so. They need to keep Texas open and they took a guy with major off the field issues that UT ghosted ahead of their in-home visit.

That shit hasn't happened under the Saban regime. They've already taken 3 commits from players in the state of Alabama for 2024. They've never had that many commitments in-state this early under Saban. NIL and other schools are pushing Bama's time table up considerably and starting to inhibit Saban's strategy of slowplaying in-state guys in the spring until they can get national recruits in for junior days. 

So, no wonder that bitch is bawling. His cheat codes aren't working. Should be interesting to see how their season goes this year, replacing roughly 15 starters, key back-ups, two coordinators and numerous assistants. 

I heard he didn't come to Texas because they wouldn't let him cheat. They said "do you have any questions?" And he said "yeah is it cool if I cheat here? I basically just like to cheat." And they said "oh my starts this is a pickle. I'm afraid we can't take you." And he said "well, gosh, that's too bad. Oh well good luck with your not cheating. I don't recommend it." 

Joking aside I think he'd do just about anything with NIL he could get away with, but he's not going to let a football player try to force him to get his girlfriend into law school. That's just crazy. So he tells that guy to fuck off and loses the other guy, but gets to package it as having the moral high ground on both players. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Tommy Rees hired by Bama as OC.

I don't get this one at all.  I've never been impressed by him. 

I for one love the move.  Think about all those offenses at Notre Dame where Rees was able to overcome the talent differential between air force, Boston college and other powerhouses.  Now with bama's talent differential I expect he'll regularly score in the 20s.   

I was really worried bama was going to erase the Golding/BOB mistakes by being aggressive and getting two dynamic coordinators.  It's good to see that on one side he's not.  Maybe he can go grab Diaz and complete the overhaul

2 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Tommy Rees hired by Bama as OC.

I don't get this one at all.  I've never been impressed by him. 

Rees runs a pro-style offense that is run first.  Maybe Saban is sick of the spread; Saban also got a close look at Rees Offense in the playoffs two years ago.  With that being said isn't Rees the third or worse target on Sabans list? 

Pate:  Says Power FB beats new modern defenses designed to stop spread offenses. 

Pate:  Just look at what Jawja did this past year - the cumulative effect of a lot of big strong fast physical offensive players normally wears down the modern day CFB defenses that are designed to stop "pinball machine offenses".

So Saban's gonna get back to an offense similar to the past... no longer interested in a spread type offense.  With the type of higher quality athletes that Bama gets, physical bully ball probably works.

On 2/1/2023 at 5:40 PM, Brothahorn said:

I get not wanting to deal with the high price headaches. And that those guys will probably never be worth the money. But it's kind of chickenshit considering all the money he has made off this game to be on stage acting all high and mighty. Now that his grandkid's grandkids are basically set for life.

No need to be crow about it.

saban prefers the old days, where bama money men handled all this. keeping his hands 'clean' 

• immamac changed the title to Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic