Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

I know that St. Nick is the GOAT and all, but both of these coordinator hires come across as weak to me. Spoilered offense, defense, and musings for the purposes of helping the tl;dr folks avoid the horrifics of longer posts. 

Spoiler

Offense: Maybe it's the case of "go with what you got" for Rees at ND. He called roughly 60% rushing plays in both 2020 and 2022. More like 50/50 in 2021 with better weapons then. TEs and RBs caught for roughly 40% of the pass plays across the span of the 3 years. Sarkisian's numbers are similar at Texas, but he inherited a deep TB room and had thin WR options both seasons. I'll be surprised if Texas is above 50% in rushing attempts in 2023 given the WR and TE options versus the TB room. 

Point is, it kind of looked like that was the kind of offense Rees wanted to run. I don't think for a second that Sarkisian had his ideal situation for offensive playcalling the past two seasons. So is Saban looking to go back to more of a ground and pound with his offense? That would dovetail with problems he's had with the WR room since 2020. The diva quotient is high at WR and low at TE and TB by comparison.

He's getting old. Maybe he wants less bullshit and thinks because he'll will it to happen, it will happen. We'll see. They tried to moneywhip Drake Maye into the portal. Whiffed. If they go through Spring practice and see uninspired QB play, do they try to shop for a dynamic QB again in the spring portal period? I'm guessing so, but I'm not sure who the target would be that isn't already being taken care of via NIL at their current school. 

Spoiler

Defense: At DC, he tried to hire Pruitt. That's been hashed over publicly and made the rounds offline too. What level of fuckery must Pruitt have truly taken things to for Saban to not be able to move forward with bringing him onboard? 

Steele just seems uninspired. I know he had helmed some really excellent defenses at Auburn from 2016-2019, and then had a corona fall-off the year Malzahn got fired. But yeah, the dude is 65 this year.

He basically sat out 2021 and then ran a really mediocre Miami defense in 2022. Saban's had him on staff twice and never was the actual DC in practice and playcalling. The guy was a disaster HC at Baylor, he played out a string at FSU as LB coach before joining Saban at Bama, then was a disaster at Clemson as DC, which led to Swinney hiring Venables to fix it, and then Steele was okay at LSU before doing well for a span of 4 seasons at Auburn. He wasn't Saban's first choice and he looks like a comfort hire for Saban. 

Spoiler

Thoughts: I don't know. Saban's recent history of choices and turnover on his staff is spotty.

Dude won it all in 2017 with an experienced staff with years of tenure working for him. He then turns over an absurd 6 coaches in 2018. Tosh Lupoi is his DC. They get blown out in the CFP final against Clemson. Saban then turns over an unbelievable 7 positions on his staff for the 2019 season, and they finish 8th and out of the playoffs.

He brings everyone back for 2020 with the exception of DL coach and S&C guy (who shocked everyone and went to Georgia), and they run roughshod over the schedule and win the title. In 2021, he replaces 5 assistants, including losing Sarkisian and adding BOB. He also hired Jay Valai and Doug Marrone. Wow. They finished 2nd to Georgia with a Heisman winner. They had, by Alabama standards, a disappointing 2022 season and had 4 new assistants, returning BOB and Golding, who he subsequently ushered out. 

The guy has had some fucking whiffs on his hires since 2017. He's fallible and years in which he has a bunch of turnover don't bode well, by Bama standards. 

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

He also added standouts for their roles like Sarkisian and Hutzler, but it is a fucking mixed bag at best. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I know that St. Nick is the GOAT and all, but both of these coordinator hires come across as weak to me. Spoilered offense, defense, and musings for the purposes of helping the tl;dr folks avoid the horrifics of longer posts. 

Hide contents

Offense: Maybe it's the case of "go with what you got" for Rees at ND. He called roughly 60% rushing plays in both 2020 and 2022. More like 50/50 in 2021 with better weapons then. TEs and RBs caught for roughly 40% of the pass plays across the span of the 3 years. Sarkisian's numbers are similar at Texas, but he inherited a deep TB room and had thin WR options both seasons. I'll be surprised if Texas is above 50% in rushing attempts in 2023 given the WR and TE options versus the TB room. 

Point is, it kind of looked like that was the kind of offense Rees wanted to run. I don't think for a second that Sarkisian had his ideal situation for offensive playcalling the past two seasons. So is Saban looking to go back to more of a ground and pound with his offense? That would dovetail with problems he's had with the WR room since 2020. The diva quotient is high at WR and low at TE and TB by comparison.

He's getting old. Maybe he wants less bullshit and thinks because he'll will it to happen, it will happen. We'll see. They tried to moneywhip Drake Maye into the portal. Whiffed. If they go through Spring practice and see uninspired QB play, do they try to shop for a dynamic QB again in the spring portal period? I'm guessing so, but I'm not sure who the target would be that isn't already being taken care of via NIL at their current school. 

Hide contents

Defense: At DC, he tried to hire Pruitt. That's been hashed over publicly and made the rounds offline too. What level of fuckery must Pruitt have truly taken things to for Saban to not be able to move forward with bringing him onboard? 

Steele just seems uninspired. I know he had helmed some really excellent defenses at Auburn from 2016-2019, and then had a corona fall-off the year Malzahn got fired. But yeah, the dude is 65 this year.

He basically sat out 2021 and then ran a really mediocre Miami defense in 2022. Saban's had him on staff twice and never was the actual DC in practice and playcalling. The guy was a disaster HC at Baylor, he played out a string at FSU as LB coach before joining Saban at Bama, then was a disaster at Clemson as DC, which led to Swinney hiring Venables to fix it, and then Steele was okay at LSU before doing well for a span of 4 seasons at Auburn. He wasn't Saban's first choice and he looks like a comfort hire for Saban. 

Hide contents

Thoughts: I don't know. Saban's recent history of choices and turnover on his staff is spotty.

Dude won it all in 2017 with an experienced staff with years of tenure working for him. He then turns over an absurd 6 coaches in 2018. Tosh Lupoi is his DC. They get blown out in the CFP final against Clemson. Saban then turns over an unbelievable 7 positions on his staff for the 2019 season, and they finish 8th and out of the playoffs.

He brings everyone back for 2020 with the exception of DL coach and S&C guy (who shocked everyone and went to Georgia), and they run roughshod over the schedule and win the title. In 2021, he replaces 5 assistants, including losing Sarkisian and adding BOB. He also hired Jay Valai and Doug Marrone. Wow. They finished 2nd to Georgia with a Heisman winner. They had, by Alabama standards, a disappointing 2022 season and had 4 new assistants, returning BOB and Golding, who he subsequently ushered out. 

The guy has had some fucking whiffs on his hires since 2017. He's fallible and years in which he has a bunch of turnover don't bode well, by Bama standards. 

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

He also added standouts for their roles like Sarkisian and Hutzler, but it is a fucking mixed bag at best. 

Say it with me- Alabraska. It’s a shit hole school in a shit hole state that’s poor relations to Georgia, Texas, aggy, Florida and maybe lsu. Saban is a mediocre coach without decided advantages at athlete and has shown that he’s not a take his and beat yours and a yours and beat his- as he only really had it going with a bag program that would make everyone not in Athens or Columbus blush. He won basically a 4 team division (epic cheaters) half the time when coaching against a pedo in Day, a brain dead mediocrity in Dabo and a guy who might have a touch of the downs in Kirby Smart. That’s it. That’s the list of programs that were running as cheating a program as his until aggy in the last 3 or 4 years and they have played Bama even since they stepped their bag game up to brrrrrrr and let it fly. 
Now that Texas is playing in a world where we can pay players and not facing perceived disadvantage in conference affiliation I fully expect to beat him up and take his lunch money starting next year when we will actually have a more talented and experienced team than he does. 
then- his record will look like Michigan state and the NFL where he was mediocre without the rampant and systematic cheating he enjoyed in Baton Rough and gomerville Alabama. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Say it with me- Alabraska. It’s a shit hole school in a shit hole state that’s poor relations to Georgia, Texas, aggy, Florida and maybe lsu. Saban is a mediocre coach without decided advantages at athlete and has shown that he’s not a take his and beat yours and a yours and beat his- as he only really had it going with a bag program that would make everyone not in Athens or Columbus blush. He won basically a 4 team division (epic cheaters) half the time when coaching against a pedo in Day, a brain dead mediocrity in Dabo and a guy who might have a touch of the downs in Kirby Smart. That’s it. That’s the list of programs that were running as cheating a program as his until aggy in the last 3 or 4 years and they have played Bama even since they stepped their bag game up to brrrrrrr and let it fly. 
Now that Texas is playing in a world where we can pay players and not facing perceived disadvantage in conference affiliation I fully expect to beat him up and take his lunch money starting next year when we will actually have a more talented and experienced team than he does. 
then- his record will look like Michigan state and the NFL where he was mediocre without the rampant and systematic cheating he enjoyed in Baton Rough and gomerville Alabama. 

1. I agree that his era is closing, largely due to NIL.

2. There have been a lot of talented teams that failed to win anything meaningful.

3. There have been a lot of cheating programs that failed to stack Sabanesque talent.

4. Dude has won 7 CFB titles.

5. Let’s kick him closer to retirement this September— Hook’em!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 1:15 PM, closetojumping said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

Physical, ground and pound offense...

Why new Alabama OC Tommy Rees is an 'old man trapped in a young man's body' 

Story by Chase Goodbread, The Tuscaloosa News • 52m ago

When it comes to a running game that can impose its will on opponents, Tommy Rees does more than just preach. You want physical football? Alabama's new offensive coordinator doesn't just call the plays that grind a defense down for a second-half submission.

He lives them.

He breathes them.

And at the tender age of 30, his style might befit a coach twice his age.

"Tommy is like an old man trapped in a young man's body," Vanderbilt head coach Clark Lea told The Tuscaloosa News.

Lea coached with Rees for four seasons at Notre Dame when the two were assistants under Brian Kelly, and has seen up close the way Rees' personality resonates with players.

Rees was a quarterback at Notre Dame, but by all accounts, a football player first. A quarterback with a mentality more suited to a linebacker; aggressive and fearless and unafraid of contact at a position where the modern player is taught to slide feet first to avoid being tackled. We're talking about a guy whose best friend in college was an offensive guard. A guy known to intensify pickup basketball games by throwing an elbow or two and diving for loose balls. And a guy whose tendency is to test defenses up front first. What impact he'll have on Alabama's offense is months from a true unveiling. But if the unit embodies his personality, Alabama fans can expect to see him chest-bumping 300-pounders after touchdowns as often as any of his quarterbacks.

"He's got a nice way of calling upon his playing experience, but he's a trenches guy," Lea said. "The (offensive) line will feel his spirit and energy at a ground level. He rallies guys around his personality. And not afraid to confront where there needs to be confrontation."

That's a bit of a departure from the typical offensive coordinator, particularly the ones who were quarterbacks as players. They often invest so deeply in forming a symbiotic relationship with the quarterback that an offense's other 10 starters can feel more like O's on a chalkboard. That's unlikely to be the case with Rees, who will hit the practice field next month when the Crimson Tide begins spring drills.

It could make for both a refreshing and needed adjustment.

Last year's Alabama offense, while often explosive under the direction of a dynamic passing talent in Bryce Young, did not control the line of scrimmage with the command it had in years past. UA's rushing attack ranked squarely in the middle of the Southeastern Conference, and did little to soften opposing defenses to set up a second-half stampede.

Lea recalls just that from Rees' Fighting Irish offenses.

"At Notre Dame, multiple tight ends became our signature. As Tommy's able to put his personality into it, you'll see a physical run game with play-action passing," Lea said. "It's an offensive system that's able to separate in the third and fourth quarter after establishing a physical presence early."

That's a style that figures to meet the moment in Tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa News sport columnist Chase Goodbread.

AAUamD7.img?w=612&h=434&m=6&x=398&y=160&

Missed this news...

Whisenhunt joins Crimson Tide as special assistant to Saban

Feb 15, 2023  Adam Rittenberg ESPN 

Former NFL coach Ken Whisenhunt has joined Alabama's football staff as the special assistant to head coach Nick Saban.

Whisenhunt's name appeared in Alabama's staff directory Wednesday night. He spent the past two seasons as an offensive analyst at Penn State. The former Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans head coach last held an on-field role in 2019, when he finished a four-year tenure as the Chargers' offensive coordinator.

Whisenhunt began his coaching career in the SEC as Vanderbilt's tight ends coach in 1995 and 1996. He then began a lengthy career in the NFL, going 48-71 in eight seasons as a head coach. Whisenhunt had two stints as Chargers offensive coordinator and three years as Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator.

Whisenhunt, 60, replaces Drew Svoboda, who left Alabama after two seasons to become special teams coordinator at North Texas. Whisenhunt's son-in-law, Zach Mettenberger, is an Alabama analyst and a former quarterback at Georgia, LSU and in the NFL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From ESPN article on QB battles...

Alabama Crimson Tide

QB contenders: Tyler Buchner, Jalen Milroe, Ty Simpson

Post-spring Week 1 favorite: Tyler Buchner

Tyler Buchner was named MVP of the Gator Bowl in his last start for Notre Dame before transferring to Alabama this spring. Jeremy Reper-USA TODAY Sports

How the spring affected the race: The fact Alabama brought in Buchner from Notre Dame less than a week after the A-Day spring game tells you the Crimson Tide weren't content with what they saw from their quarterbacks during spring practice. Now, that doesn't mean they're ready to give up on Milroe or Simpson. It just means they wanted another option as they point toward the start of preseason practice in August. Milroe is a dynamic athlete who can give defenses fits running the ball when the play breaks down. His challenge remains cutting down on his turnovers and overall consistency throwing the ball. Simpson also is plenty talented and might end up being the guy, but he just didn't look ready to lead a football team this spring. So when Buchner hit the transfer portal, given his ties to his former coach at Notre Dame and first-year Alabama offensive coordinator Tommy Rees, the Crimson Tide didn't hesitate to scoop him up and reunite him with Rees.

Long-term outlook: It's difficult to believe Buchner would come to Alabama to be a backup. He has three years of eligibility remaining and began last season as the Notre Dame starter before injuring his shoulder in Week 2 and having surgery. He returned for the bowl game and accounted for five touchdowns in a Notre Dame win. Alabama offered Buchner when he was in high school, but he opted for Notre Dame. It says a lot about both Milroe and Simpson and their belief in themselves that they didn't transfer after Buchner came aboard. Milroe and Simpson, who have combined for 65 college passing attempts, are determined to stay and fight for the starting job. Alabama also has two more scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, freshmen Dylan Lonergan and Eli Holstein. We know this about Nick Saban: He's going to play the best guy and the guy who wins over the locker room. Buchner's stats at Notre Dame weren't eye-popping, but clearly Rees thinks he's an upgrade over what the Alabama coaches saw this spring. We're going to find out. -- Chris Low

Edited by LTtxfan

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

He’s becoming a Mack Brown level pussy with his crying about NIL.

First he cried about tempo then he figured it out and they use it.

Now it's NIL and I don't think it's something he can just fix because Bama does have big money but maybe not the biggest.

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

He’s pissed because everyone is out and out buying players.

Nope.  "Buying players" isn't new.  He's pissed because Bama used to be able to buy players under the table with bags and programs like Texas didn't get into that game as much.  Now it's all above board with NIL and Texas and others are in the game now, legally.  So he's lost a big asymmetric advantage he used to have in our presumptive surrender to not play the bag game.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

He’s pissed because everyone is out and out buying players.

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Nope.  "Buying players" isn't new.  He's pissed because Bama used to be able to buy players under the table with bags and programs like Texas didn't get into that game as much.  Now it's all above board with NIL and Texas and others are in the game now, legally.  So he's lost a big asymmetric advantage he used to have in our presumptive surrender to not play the bag game.

Blaming Spider-Man GIF

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

So...the exact thing he said?  Not sure why you nope'd him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

So...the exact thing he said?  Not sure why you nope'd him.  

I read that (wrong?) as jk was saying that Saban was pissed that people are buying players, which I found ironic b/c that's exactly what Saban has been doing for years.  Missed the "out and out" part which I guess means in the open.  Gave jk some pos rep :D

• Hook 'Em 1

Saban's ability to change his team from balanced to pure D to All Gas reminds me of John Wooden's basketball teams at UCLA. Wooden said that his approach was always to recruit the absolute best players he could find, then get them all together and figure out what they could do best. His teams won ten NCs in 11 or 12 years, ranging from shutdown D to runaway O. 

It's a far cry from the usual coaching strategies of recruiting to a pre-determined system and then trying to force round pegs into square holes.

On 6/1/2023 at 11:33 AM, Horn of Gabriel said:

It's funny that you believe this

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

No thanks. I just think it's funny when one program points at another and says "they cheat," as if the same thing doesn't happen everywhere. If you think Texas boosters were never helping acquire players, then more power to you. 

$100 handshakes? Sure. Playing the game in basketball? Sure. Doing it in football? No. Your response and thought process are shitty and lazy and incorrect. And yeah, I'm fucking talking about this from an actual position of knowledge and have been posting about it since before Shaggy or Surly existed. I fucking wish Texas had either played the bag game or used their pious position to tattle to the NCAA constantly about it. They did neither.

But yeah, you don't know shit on the subject matter so spare us the declarative, condescending platitude of "everybody does it and your naive thinking otherwise." Some of you football board denizens are fucking lost.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic