Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Sleepygrad said:

So now that teams are allowed to buy players, Saban is pissed because teams are actually buying players?

Question Mark What GIF by Alex Aiono

Kind of. He’s really just pissed that open money has leveled the field a bit at the top. He is having to come to grip with the hard fact that players weren’t also signing with him because they liked the coach/team/school. Now his feelers are hurt. 

51 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

He’ll always be the guy who won once, with his biggest attribute to the entire process being keeping his rapist QB out of jail, to me. 

Don’t forget his role as Crab Leg Distribution Supervisor.

Cross-post...   Thx for this @Getafix

Article from The Athletic, on the Saban/Jimbo stuff, via a $9.95 poster ... 

It often felt to some observers that there were two groups at SEC coaches meetings — the Nick Saban guys and the others.

“Everybody’s kissing Saban’s **** like a big fraternity,” said one former SEC coach. “In the breaks (between meetings), all the Saban people are laughing and joking like they were brothers.”

Many believed that Jimbo Fisher and Saban had that sort of dynamic, the master and apprentice who worked together to build LSU into a national champion in 2003, before Fisher went on to win a championship as head coach at Florida State 10 years later and become one of the highest-paid coaches in the game. From the outside, there appeared to be a healthy dynamic between two powerful college football elder statesmen.

And then one of the ugliest public coaching rifts in SEC history erupted Thursday, and the reality of that relationship became a little clearer.

“Man, that was crazy watching that,” the SEC coach said. “Obviously that was something personal right there.”

What that referenced — Fisher calling Saban a “narcissist” and saying that somebody should slap the 70-year-old Alabama coach after Saban said Wednesday that Texas A&M “bought every player on their team” — was a fascinating window into the prickly relationship between the most successful coach in college football history and one of his proteges.

“There was (friction) all the time,” said one staffer who worked with both coaches at LSU. “Will (Muschamp) and Kirby (Smart) and all the defensive guys all bowed down to Nick, but Nick depended on Jimbo a lot. But Nick is so hard on his (offensive coordinators). They were always at each other’s throats.”

In talking to more than a dozen people with knowledge of their relationship the past two decades, most described it as one of respect — and competition. The two worked together to build winners at LSU but consistently butted heads over program details and practice structure and how to construct LSU’s offense around its dominant defense. Fisher was a young, rising star coach frustrated with his demanding boss and trying to break out through his own ambition, and Thursday’s events portrayed a man still feeling put down despite his accomplishments.

“They’re so similar personality-wise, both are from similar areas when they grew up with that whole West Virginia mentality,” said one staffer who worked with both coaches at LSU. “It’s that West Virginia grind-it-every-day super-hard-worker thing that lives with them forever. They feel like people are talking down to ‘em. And those guys were so competitive with each other.”

Seventeen years later, Fisher’s Texas A&M beat Saban’s Alabama in the regular season and then beat them again for the No. 1-ranked recruiting class nationally. After all these years, sources close to Fisher say he simply felt hurt by Saban’s remarks about the program he’s attempting to build.

“Oh, it ain’t like Nick and Kirby,” one former LSU position coach said. “There is no love lost between Nick and Jimbo — at all.”

Every Saturday morning, whether they were in Baton Rouge or Florida or a high school parking lot about to meet a recruit, Saban had a mandatory recruiting meeting for his assistants. He would bring the old speakerphone from his office, place it in the center of the table, and anybody not in attendance would call in.

“That drove Jimbo crazy,” a high-ranking former LSU staff member said.

Saban is a man built on process and details. And some of those didn’t sit quite right with Fisher. “Jimbo complained about everything Nick wanted to do,” said one staffer.

“Jimbo would complain about things Nick would say or do and always talk about the Bowdens,” another staffer said. “Jimbo was big on the Bowdens, and he just couldn’t stand what Nick was trying to do.”

Fisher played and coached under Terry Bowden at Samford and later followed him to Auburn. He left LSU in 2007 to be Hall of Fame coach Bobby Bowden’s “head coach in waiting” at Florida State.

Saban wanted to hire Fisher from Cincinnati, where the 34-year-old was the offensive coordinator in 1999, even before he met him. Starting in 2000 at LSU, that partnership became an undeniable success, with Fisher helping develop Josh Booty, Rohan Davey, Matt Mauck and JaMarcus Russell at quarterback while Saban’s defenses stole the show.

The tension between the two stemmed from Fisher’s belief that Saban’s philosophy limited his offense. Saban is also a notoriously demanding boss.

Mauck — the quarterback on LSU’s 2003 national championship team — recalled many practices where Fisher would run out to the field disheveled. Mauck would ask what was wrong, and Fisher would say Saban spent all day scripting the practice and then gave Fisher 10 minutes to script 80 plays. “Sometimes Jimbo didn’t know his place and would get upset about how practice was organized,” a former staffer said. Former LSU linebackers coach Mike Collins laughs remembering how Fisher had to give the offensive script to Saban and then the defense got to run the entire series knowing the offense’s script.

“I can only imagine if I was offensive coordinator under him that you kind of just feel like the unwanted stepchild,” Mauck said.

That’s where the competition came in. Whenever it would be offense versus defense, Fisher did everything in his power to win. He’d draw up trick plays or adjust outside of the purpose of the drill.

“Jimbo would try to pencil-whip Nick to win the drill,” a staffer said. “And Nick would say, ‘That’s not what it’s about. We’re trying to get better getting ready for an opponent. That’s not how they’re gonna do it in a game.’”

Then there was the offense itself. Saban’s offensive philosophy in those days was about shrinking the game, reducing mistakes and allowing his defense to win it. And Saban likes to manage every little detail. They’d often agree on the amount of snaps for a certain formation or a certain amount of runs, and sometimes Fisher would stray from that. The problem was Saban could remember exactly what they were supposed to do.

“If it didn’t happen, you could hear him chirping in the back,” Collins said. “Well, he wasn’t chirping. He was barking and growling.” Because while Saban stressed thinking about the larger game and the best use of players, Fisher was trying to prove his abilities.

“Jimbo wanted to run all these fancy plays,” a staffer said. “Jimbo is an ‘offensive guru.’ … He wanted to showcase his playbook, and that was the biggest argument between those two.”

Former LSU and Tennessee quarterback Rick Clausen said: “Let’s call it what it was: It was a dominant defense with a sound offense for the most part that was really, really good. And that’s how (Saban) builds his teams. That’s how he builds his organizations. And I’m sure for the offensive coaches, shoot, there were times where we would go into a scrimmage and we’d have certain stuff, we had certain rules we had to abide by.”

Mauck, who remains close with Fisher, understands those years were essential for Fisher even if he was frustrated: “Jimbo would probably tell you, especially early on, (that he) was kind of like a squirrel. He looks over and he’s easily distracted. It was probably a good thing Nick held the reins back a little bit and said, ‘Hey, be creative, but let’s have a method to the madness.’”

But many of the same people pointing out Fisher’s flaws in those years are the first to say they love him. He’s a polarizing person in the profession, one who some call a “phony” and who others call one of the “highest-character people” in the business.

“He was fun to be around and once you got out of the building you wanted to have some fun because Nick made it so miserable there back then,” said a former staff member. “It just wore on everybody.”

And therein lies the part of this story that isn’t unique to Fisher. When asking former staffers what Fisher was referencing when he said in Thursday’s rant, “Just go ask the people that work for him; you’ll know exactly what he’s about,” many say he was referring to the demanding lifestyle of working for Saban.

Assistants had to be there before Saban and were expected to be there until after he was gone. It was a constant grind of recruiting and coaching, and then they’d sit in the film room after practice as Saban listed all the things that could be corrected or improved upon. One assistant coach said his son played high school football in Baton Rouge and he saw him play a total of one and a half games.

“Everybody has a tremendous amount of respect for him, but that’s why most guys can’t work for him more than two years,” the coach said. “They all say that ***** about, ‘He wants you to only work two years.’ *********. That’s about all you can take.”

When Saban left LSU in 2005 for the Miami Dolphins, he tried to bring Fisher with him. While one source says Saban didn’t actually offer him an on-field coaching role, Fisher decided to stay at LSU as Les Miles’ OC.

But through all the years after both left LSU, their relationship wasn’t hostile. At least it never seemed that way. On the “All Things Covered” podcast with Patrick Peterson and Bryant McFadden in 2020, Fisher described the extreme organization he learned from Saban and how he was way ahead of the game on mental health efforts for players. At those SEC meetings they’d always seem chummy, and when Saban came back from down 13-0 at halftime to beat Georgia in the 2017-18 national championship game, Fisher was waiting outside the Alabama locker room to congratulate him.

Then came Wednesday, when Saban said Texas A&M “bought” its recruiting class, and Thursday, when Fisher fired back.

“We’re done,” Fisher said

Pete Jenkins answered the phone with a sadness behind the 80-year-old Georgia man’s voice. He’s known both these men a long time, coaching with Fisher at Auburn and LSU and working off and on with Saban for two decades as one of his favorite defensive line advisers. He had more than 10 people reaching out to him Thursday about the back-and-forth exchange.

“First of all, I feel disappointment,” he said. “Just really disappointed … I hate to see people get turned inside out like that.”

The shock from Thursday exists from both sides. Some were frustrated with Saban. “Glass houses,” one coach said. “Don’t throw rocks.” Another said: “C’mon guys. It’s like the mafia. Don’t go out there and talk about it. And he was wrong for making those broad-stroke accusations.” Mauck said, “It seemed like a low blow, in my opinion.”

Others were annoyed by Fisher’s emotional rebuttal. “It’s just Jimbo being Jimbo,” a former coach said. Another said: “It was all so predictable. He just couldn’t let it go and think like, ‘Ha ha, screw him. I got his ****.’ As funny as it was to America, it was childish.”

“They were acting like two 12-year-olds,” one person with knowledge of both coaches summarized.

Thursday sent shockwaves through the sport, two of the biggest names in the game throwing down a wrestling-style gauntlet and setting the stage for one of the most anticipated games in recent memory on Oct. 8 in Tuscaloosa. But one coach said he thinks this started the day Fisher went to work as Saban’s OC and has been bubbling ever since.

The other question: Why did Saban feel compelled to make the comments at all? Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork told Sports Illustrated: “I don’t know why Nick Saban would say what he said except he’s threatened.” Multiple sources told The Athletic they think Saban was making excuses for being beat in recruiting.

Mauck spoke to Fisher on Thursday, and while he didn’t want to speak for Fisher, he said, “I think why those comments hurt so bad is he really looked up to Nick in teaching him some great things and (he felt) like this was a low blow.” He said every time he’s ever spoken privately with Fisher about Saban in the past it was with nothing but respect.

Nearly every person The Athletic spoke with acknowledged Fisher likely wouldn’t be the coach he is without those years with Saban. Fisher has mentioned that many times.

Many hope the two will repair their relationship (Saban apologized Thursday; Fisher has had no public comments since his news conference). There’s a lesson, one of the former staffers thinks, that we should all take away from this week:

“Some things are just better left unsaid.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

This post isn’t in touch with reality. 

Have you not seen the pics of Bama players posing next to their shiny cars nor the pics their recruits tweeted of them holding wads of cash? I didn’t invent the phrase, “If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’.” I learned it from SEC fans. Why do you suppose Saban’s only success as a football coach has come in the SEC?

Did you see how the Bama boosters opened up their checkbooks when Texas thought they might lure Saban to Austin? (That was never, ever going to happen.) You think they’re careful about the rules when it comes to recruiting? Saban isn’t some genius X’s and O’s coach. He wins by having an edge over other teams and it starts with recruiting. The last thing he cares about is if boosters are paying players to come play for Bama. He’s a pioneer in bending every rule and finding every loophole. Show me a dynasty and I’ll show you a cheater. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If I’m Saban, it would be simple.  

There’s people that feel they can do what I do, simply because they duped someone into paying them what I’m paid. I guess they consider us peers, but there’s a long list of coaches that have won once, and the similarities end there.  One of us will be talked about for the next 100 years as one of the greatest contributors to the game.  The other will be a hero in some cow fuck town, who’s greatest accomplishment was protecting a rapist long enough to win, once.  You are an afterthought with a cow fuck name, and a cuck.  Have your bought and paid for team ready to play in Oct, fuckboi. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bama players posing next to their shiny cars

This reminds me of my ex-wife seeing me drive a Jaguar about 10 years ago and thinking it was brand new. Her lawyer filed a motion with the court claiming I was driving a shiny new car, so I must be hiding money. It was in fact a used car that cost me about $10k. 😂

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

He had a pretty decent tenure at MSU. Went 2-1 against the Buckeyes.

Oooh, 26-17-1.

How many championships did he win? Mark Dantonio had a more successful tenure in East Lansing.

It was genius of Saban to arrange that punt to bounce off of Nate Clements back in ‘98. And John Cooper’s shortcomings don’t make Nick Saban a better coach. At least the Buckeyes beat Michigan that year. Whoopee! They should’ve won a national title. And if there had been a four-team playoff, maybe they would have. But that was the first year of the BCS and it is what it is. Lloyd Carr beat Saban 29-17 that year. (Saban went 2-3 against his biggest rival.) 

Again, zero championships before he got to the SEC. Dantonio did better at MSU. 

16 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you go back and listen to Saban's comments and contextualize where he said it, he's basically telling his boosters "here's what A&M did and why they got their class, so we should probably be stepping our efforts up". Of course it's a slight shot at A&M but nothing over the line.

Jimbo's blustered response is just more cringey and embarassing the more you listen to it.

100% what it is. He was telling Bama alums what it's gonna take to keep the NC train rolling.

15 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Jimbo is a world class fart-knocker 

c94dbc2c-4f5f-4174-a287-0d1c6e6605f4_tex

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Have you not seen the pics of Bama players posing next to their shiny cars nor the pics their recruits tweeted of them holding wads of cash? I didn’t invent the phrase, “If you ain’t cheatin’, you ain’t tryin’.” I learned it from SEC fans. Why do you suppose Saban’s only success as a football coach has come in the SEC?

Did you see how the Bama boosters opened up their checkbooks when Texas thought they might lure Saban to Austin? (That was never, ever going to happen.) You think they’re careful about the rules when it comes to recruiting? Saban isn’t some genius X’s and O’s coach. He wins by having an edge over other teams and it starts with recruiting. The last thing he cares about is if boosters are paying players to come play for Bama. He’s a pioneer in bending every rule and finding every loophole. Show me a dynasty and I’ll show you a cheater. 

Yeah none of what you posted remotely approaches why I said his post doesn’t jibe with reality. Your entire post is diarrhea. Like most of your posts. 

15 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Then explain what you meant because what I posted was reality.

I’ll respond to him if he chooses to hear from me. What he said was bullshit. You?  Hard pass. 

On 5/21/2022 at 8:22 AM, Porterhouse said:

Yeah none of what you posted remotely approaches why I said his post doesn’t jibe with reality. Your entire post is diarrhea. Like most of your posts. 

Alright Jimbo and Nick, you guys simmer down....

• 1 month later...

Here's a detailed look at how Nick Saban delegates Alabama's film responsibilities

How Nick Saban delegates who is watching what when breaking down film is impressive.

DOUG SAMUELS

JUN 30, 2022

The only thing more impressive than Nick Saban's record since arriving in Tuscaloosa is his ability to remain a national title contender year after year after his staff with quality coaches and recruiters.

That would simply not be possible if it weren't for a detailed system Saban has developed and honed over the years for his staff. 

Few know what is included in that system, but last night James Light tweeted a page from Saban's coaches manual detailing the film responsibilities of his offensive staff.

The page was taken from 2015 with Lane Kiffin served as offensive coordinator and some of the rest of the offensive staff consisted of Mario Cristobal (OL), Burton Burns (RBs), and Billy Napier (WRs) and the sheet lays out what they should be watching their opponent film for, and what to be prepared to have answers for in staff meetings.

It's outstanding stuff that is going to prompt a lot of head coaches (including myself) and coordinators to rework what we ask for in game preparation.

If Saban decides someday to peel back the curtain more of what is included in that system, I'm confident it would be regarded in the same type of light that Bill Walsh's iconic book, Finding the Winning Edge is now, with copies going for over $300 currently.

FWdSCx4XgAYpGle?format=jpg&name=large

FWdSBkzWYAAR2P2?format=jpg&name=medium

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, LTtxfan said:

Here's a detailed look at how Nick Saban delegates Alabama's film responsibilities

How Nick Saban delegates who is watching what when breaking down film is impressive.

DOUG SAMUELS

JUN 30, 2022

The only thing more impressive than Nick Saban's record since arriving in Tuscaloosa is his ability to remain a national title contender year after year after his staff with quality coaches and recruiters.

That would simply not be possible if it weren't for a detailed system Saban has developed and honed over the years for his staff. 

Few know what is included in that system, but last night James Light tweeted a page from Saban's coaches manual detailing the film responsibilities of his offensive staff.

The page was taken from 2015 with Lane Kiffin served as offensive coordinator and some of the rest of the offensive staff consisted of Mario Cristobal (OL), Burton Burns (RBs), and Billy Napier (WRs) and the sheet lays out what they should be watching their opponent film for, and what to be prepared to have answers for in staff meetings.

It's outstanding stuff that is going to prompt a lot of head coaches (including myself) and coordinators to rework what we ask for in game preparation.

If Saban decides someday to peel back the curtain more of what is included in that system, I'm confident it would be regarded in the same type of light that Bill Walsh's iconic book, Finding the Winning Edge is now, with copies going for over $300 currently.

FWdSCx4XgAYpGle?format=jpg&name=large

FWdSBkzWYAAR2P2?format=jpg&name=medium

F/U article...

https://footballscoop.com/news/template-offensive-game-planning-inspired-by-nick-saban

Templates: Offensive game planning, inspired by Nick Saban

Inspired by how Nick Saban delegates game planning to his staff, we created a template that will allow you to more efficiently game plan remotely.

DOUG SAMUELS           JUL 19, 2022

Nick Saban explains why he's developed a softer touch with players in recent years

"I don't think you need to yell and scream, a'ight, to get that point across," the former yeller and screamer said.

ZACH BARNETT            JUL 19, 2022

Nick Saban didn't disagree with the question's premise. Have you developed a softer, gentler side in recent years? 

"When you're a grandpa you kind of develop more compassion for people's feelings," Saban joked. Nick Saban, compassionate toward people's feelings??? Ha!

No, Saban's evolution wasn't born out of compassion, but of self-interest. Today's players are different, no longer willing to do what they're told simply because it's what they were told. They want to know why.

And so... Saban tells them why. He relates to them not from a top-down perspective of You need to do X because I told you to or Do X because it's in the best interest of the team, but because it's in their own best interest to follow his instruction. 

"Players have changed. The way you approach players now is a little different than what you did in the past," Saban said. "I've always taken the approach that I want the player to understand how he's doing impacts his ability to affect what he wants to accomplish. Whether it's taking a couple clips from film and saying, 'How is this behavior going to help you what you want to accomplish, whether it's a behavior issue off the field that's affecting his ability to be successful in the future. And I don't think you need to yell and scream, a'ight, to get that point across. I think if you just show them and tell them and they understand, it's much more effective on an individual basis."

The natural temptation here is to bemoan the passage of time and how today's players have lost their way, but isn't this a better approach? In college football, and especially at a place like Alabama, a player signs with a school because the coach sways him that signing with him will be in the player's best interest long term. So why should that approach stop when the player enrolls? Doesn't it make logical sense that a player who understands and accepts his place on the team will be more bought-in to the overall team goals? 

None of this means that Saban is done getting out his knife and fork to deliver a verbal ass chewing on the sidelines but, behind closed doors, the Saban of 2022 may get his point across in a more measured manner than the Saban of 2003 may have. 

Hear Saban explain his approach for himself below

Alabama to start selling player NIL merchandise in Bryant-Denny Stadium

ZACH BARNETT              JUL 25, 2022

It doesn't exactly take Warren Buffett to spot this business opportunity.

You're in the concourse of Bryant-Denny Stadium, surrounded by kids and misguided adults in crimson No. 9 jerseys with no name on the back. You make your way to the stands, where Bryce Young stars in the No. 9 jersey. Yet, Young receives the same cut of the profits as you -- none.

That will soon change at Bryant-Denny and, one assumes, many other stadia around college football.

On Monday, Alabama announced the creation of The Authentic, a Fanatics-partnered store that will produce Nike jerseys with player NOBs (names on back) will cut players in on the action. Here's the official verbiage from Alabama:

The expanded partnership will allow the University to capitalize on Fanatics merchandising platforms to create, promote, and distribute Alabama merchandise featuring the name, image, and likeness (NIL) rights of current Crimson Tide student-athletes. As a cornerstone of the new agreement, Fanatics will launch The Authentic, the first-ever retail team store to be opened inside Bryant-Denny Stadium. Expected to launch during the upcoming 2022 college football season, the new, one-of-a-kind fan shop powered by Fanatics will feature a significant assortment of officially licensed team apparel and student-athlete NIL merchandise, including customized Nike player jerseys, customized name and number t-shirts, headwear, official game-used memorabilia, on-demand digital trading cards from Topps, and more.

This isn't a collective that seems to exist on paper and nowhere else, and it doesn't reward recruits and transfers while passing over current players, thereby passing by the potentially adversarial entanglements of the new NIL era: player and school competing for the same donor dollars, or player against player. 

In other words, it's easy to see why Alabama hopped on board so forcefully.

The Authentic retail space will also create innovative engagement opportunities for Crimson Tide student-athletes to provide autographed memorabilia, conduct fan meet and greets, and conduct social media marketing to support sales of their NIL merchandise. Fanatics will work with OneTeam Partners in securing group licensing rights for activation for NIL rights on merchandise, in addition to separate marketing and autographs partnerships.

Additionally, the Alabama Athletics Department, with its partnership with Nike, will provide on-field performance products and specific fan merchandise for the Crimson Tide's Athletics programs, including authentic and replica jerseys, headwear, and apparel.

Obviously, it remains to be see how big a cut Young will get for every No. 9 jersey in the stands, but this is a no-brainer solution for Alabama, and for every other program with jerseys to sell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Saban shares how Larry Fitzgerald educated Alabama, himself on 'The Process'

The former Pittsburgh and NFL star visited the Crimson Tide this week

JOHN BRICE                4 HOURS AGO

The list of star-studded guest speakers who have received an invitation from Nick Saban to address his University of Alabama football teams hardly is short on star-power.  That group added another legend this week, when former University of Pittsburgh and longtime NFL All-Pro Larry Fitzgerald addressed the Crimson Tide amidst their preseason training camp.

And Saban on Wednesday revealed a key element of Fitzgerald’s message, saying he even learned something about himself in the process of discussing … The Process.

‘One of the players asked (Fitzgerald), ‘How did you stay motivated when you had so much success for so long?’,” Saban shared. “And he said, ‘I love the process. I love watching film. I love to practice, I caught extra balls before practice, I ran routes with the quarterback after practice, I love the process. And then when the game came, it was really, really easy.’

“And that’s kind of interesting because some of our best players, some of our really, really good players traditionally in the past, that’s exactly how they were. And that’s exactly how a lot of the guys on our team right now that are really good players, that’s how they are.”

Still, Saban explained, that’s not quite where every member of the Alabama squad is at this current time in training camp.

“We need to have everybody to be that way,” Saban said. “We don’t need anybody trying to get out of drills or practicing or whatever. And if they love the process of what it takes, not to win a game, but to do the things you need to do to be able to win a game, all right, not to do the things, not just think about being a starter, but what do you do to be a starter? What does a starter act like? How does a starter practice? How does a starter go about being responsible to do his job?

“And I thought that was a really good message, and I think it’s a message that, Larry made a point of this, it’s the same thing in your life. Being a good parent. Being a good husband. Doing a good job in whatever it is you do. So it was kind of interesting.”

So interesting, in fact, that Saban said it prompted some introspection.

“I get asked a lot, I never ever thought of this: how do you stay motivated, and I never really could answer it,” Saban said, continuing his monologue. “But I love the process. I love practicing, I like getting ready for practice, I love coaching the players on the field, trying to get them play as good as they can be, so we have the best chance, they have the best chance to be successful, we have the best chance to be successful.

“So hopefully we can get a whole team full of guys getting ready to do that.”

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Nick Saban shares how Larry Fitzgerald educated Alabama, himself on 'The Process'

The former Pittsburgh and NFL star visited the Crimson Tide this week

JOHN BRICE                4 HOURS AGO

Nick Saban comments on Jojo Earle's injury | Saban says he loves the process to be great

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Saban is once again the highest-paid coach in college football. Tuesday, the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees compensation committee voted to approve a new contract for the head coach that will see him make $10.7 million this season and extend his deal one year to 2030.

Saban will earn a base salary of $305,000 a year with a $9,595,000 talent fee in 2022 that will increase up to $12.395 million by the final year of the contract. The deal includes $800,000 completion bonuses over the next four seasons. In total, Saban will make $93.6 million over the next eight seasons. He will be 78 by the contract's completion.

Nick Saban's new contract 
Year  Base salary Talent fee Completion bonus Total

$305,000

$9,595,000

$800,000

$10,700,000

$305,000

$9,995,000

$800,000

$11,100,000

$305,000

$10,395,000

$800,000

$11,500,000

$305,000

$10,795,000

$800,000

$11,900,000

$305,000

$11,195,000

None

$11,500,000

$305,000

$11,595,000

None

$11,900,000

$305,000

$11,995,000

None

$12,300,000

$305,000

$12,395,000

None

$12,700,000

Saban’s new deal comes after Georgia head coach Kirby Smart received a contract extension last month worth $112.5 million over the next 10 years. Smart was previously college football’s highest-paid coach as he is set to receive $10.25 million this season. Southern California head coach Lincoln Riley is also reportedly earning in excess of $10 million per season. However, his salary is not public due to USC being a private university.

Saban, Smart and Riley are among six college coaches who earn at least $9 million per season, including Ohio State’s Ryan Day, LSU’s Brian Kelly and Michigan State’s Mel Tucker, who are all set to receive $9.5 million this year. Saban’s contract guarantees that he receives at least as much as the average total pay of the top three SEC coaches or top five NCAA coaches, whichever is higher.

Saban is entering his 16th season at Alabama. During his time in Tuscaloosa, he has posted a 183-25 record while leading the Crimson Tide to six national titles and eight SEC championships.

The compensation committee also approved new deals for athletics director Greg Byrne, men’s basketball assistant Antoine Pettway and new gymnastics coach Ashley Johnston.

Byrne received a three-year extension through 2029 that will see him make a 5% raise. He will earn $1.8 million this year and continue to see his salary increase up to $2.36 million over the final year of his deal. Byrne has a buyout clause that would see him owe Alabama $3 million if he leaves before June 30, 2023.

Pettway’s contract was extended one year through 2024 and will pay him $410,000 per year. Johnston, who was hired in May, received a five-year deal with a $175,000 salary and a $10,000 annual talent fee.

33 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Nick Saban is once again the highest-paid coach in college football. Tuesday, the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees compensation committee voted to approve a new contract for the head coach that will see him make $10.7 million this season and extend his deal one year to 2030.

Saban is entering his 16th season at Alabama. During his time in Tuscaloosa, he has posted a 183-25 record while leading the Crimson Tide to six national titles and eight SEC championships.

Underpaid considering the results.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick Saban delivers epic depth chart rant after Alabama's blowout win

Keith Farner | 13 hours ago

Nick Saban has built a reputation for post-game rants when he appears to be irritated with reporters’ questions. The latest came on Saturday about the Alabama offensive line, and guard Emil Ekiyor.

Saban maintains that Ekiyor is still the starting right guard.

“Now, if Emil didn’t miss 5 days of practice, I’m not sure who would have started at left guard,” Saban said. “Because there’s competition at every position, which is a good thing. My biggest issue, and this may be the last time you ever get one. My biggest issue on the whole team was the day the depth chart came out, so you may have seen the last one. Y’all may have seen the last one. Because that’s all you worry about.”

Saban later said he has 7 or 8 guys who can play winning football on the offensive line, and he wants to play all of them.

“I know you all think I’m crazy, that doesn’t bother me at all,” Saban said.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Alabama Football - Now Featuring Kalen DeBoer
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic