2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

Didn't see the race last night, but watched the replay on ESPN this morning. My comments on the ESPN coverage:

Enjoyed the new commentators, although I never had a big issue with the NBC crew

Liked that most of the commercials were side by side, so you could at least see the race coverage

ESPN online replay for qualifying was leaps and bounds above NBC's online replays that would freeze all the time coming back from commercial

Timing of commercials was infuriating. Didn't know what happened to Grosjean until they came back from commercial and there is no recap of what happened when away because the Sky announcers don't have commercial breaks. Also, commercial during the SC restart and other critical moments of race.

Post race interviews/coverage are non-existent.

Hope they can get their act together on this.

This is the poster formerly known as Rusk checking in.

I liked Sky's onscreen graphics much better than NBC. ESPN's commercials were annoying and what is even worse than NBC's commercials is because they're just placed on top of Sky's broadcast without Sky knowing when there is no recap of anything when they return.

I never knew why the Williams DNF'd early on.

Commercials during the restart after the safety car. Ugh.

19 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

This is the poster formerly known as Rusk checking in.

I liked Sky's onscreen graphics much better than NBC. ESPN's commercials were annoying and what is even worse than NBC's commercials is because they're just placed on top of Sky's broadcast without Sky knowing when there is no recap of anything when they return.

I never knew why the Williams DNF'd early on.

Commercials during the restart after the safety car. Ugh.

Those were not Sky’s graphics. They are done by FOM and everyone gets them. NBC would have had the same exact stuff had they been broadcasting this year. 

But yes, overall I like the new graphics package. It needs a few tweaks, but it’s good. 

Was pleasantly surprised that ESPN / SKY took over this year. Yes, too many commercials but much better commentary and graphics.  Also it seemed that the team communications were clearer and could actually be understood. 

Glad Alonso has a decent engine and was competitive. Did both Honda cars fail?

Edited by CrownKing

Finishing watching this now. Hate the hoop. Love having Brundle do the races. 

Hamilton by 8/10ths in qualifying does not bode well for at least the first 1/3 or so of the season.

Good to see Haas with some pace, and McLaren. Just need one of those freaky days that F1 has one or two of a year and Alonso might grab a win.

Former aleon, now mcbrisket.

Vettel's "lucky" win delayed the coming Merc domination to start this season I am afraid.

I had been getting F1 races through other methods because I much prefer the Brundle commentary. I do love Hobbs and Matchett, but Diffey annoys me. If anyone was watching Speedvision F1 races 15 years ago or so, Rick DeBruhl was one of those stand in guys that annoyed the shit outta me back then too.

When is F1 TV supposed to launch?

1 minute ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Is ESPN going to dedicate the time to show the races? I liked that NBC was always reliable to see a live race pretty much every time. ESPN’s coverage of non-America centric sports has always been pretty terrible IMO. 

Well, they are all live on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC. Mostly ESPN2. 

10 minutes ago, wood said:

Did any of y'all make it out to COTA for PWC this weekend?

Yeah, had a blast too. Loved that racing. 

I need to try out that go kart track they have out there too. I love and have done K1 many times, so I am interested to see how it compares.

Edited by mcbrisket
  • Like 1

As a Ferrarista, clearly happy with the Vettel win but you could tell it was luck and not the car.  Sucks.  I did enjoy seeing Kimi hold off Ricciardo (nothing against Ricciardo... he should maybe replace Kimi one day... well, or Max)

Anyway, maybe Ferrari can figure this out.  Getting tired of Lewis.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

At the very least the margin is fine enough that one mistake will cost Mercedes the race. Sometimes that's all you can ask for in this sport.  Seb seems confident that there are gains to be made, though.

They need (rear) downforce right now, not engine power, so it’s possible. That said, Mercedes hasn’t even introduced any updates yet, so who knows what they will be doing. 

Yeah, like I said earlier, despite the mistake, in seasons past Lewis still would have been able to blow past the Ferrari pretty easily.  So I see that as a positive indicator that the gap is much closer than it has been.

If it's going to require a perfect race from Lewis every time to win it, and he races perfectly to earn it, then I can live with that.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, like I said earlier, despite the mistake, in seasons past Lewis still would have been able to blow past the Ferrari pretty easily.  So I see that as a positive indicator that the gap is much closer than it has been.

If it's going to require a perfect race from Lewis every time to win it, and he races perfectly to earn it, then I can live with that.

Well no, Melbourne has always been averse to overtaking. You need about 2 seconds in raw pace advantage to overtake. All of Lewis’ time was made up in the corners/on the brakes, since Ferrari was actually faster on the straights (they have less downforce and plenty of power). 

If the same thing happened at Bahrain or China it would have likely been a different story. 

The race pace difference between the two teams seems to be higher at this point than last year. But, it’s only race 1.