2018 Formula One thread

Prepuce of Doom

27 minutes ago, elfenix said:
28 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:
1982 Prost won the first two races but finished 4th in the championship. Rosberg won just one race but won the title.

Sounds like nascar

https://www.formula1.com/en/results.html/1982/drivers.html

some interesting names in the championship standings that season.

Hell of a race. 

I think Bottas is a perfect second driver to pair with Lewis. He seems like the kind of tolerant team player that is necessary to get along with Lewis's histrionic bitchassedness. 

And the coverage was a refreshing change of pace - loved the lack of commercials. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Ferrari Formula One mechanic Francesco Cigorini has been hospitalized with a broken leg. The injury comes as a result of driver Kimi Räikkönen running over his left leg on pit stop release. The Finnish driver is not to blame for the incident, as drivers are told to go as soon as they are released. Warning: the video is graphic. 

This is simply an incident that comes as a result of F1 pit stops getting ever quicker. Accidents happen, but they’re never easy to watch. Luckily, because helmets are mandated, the mechanic was not injured further when he fell to the ground.......

The team have stated that the injuries are limited to a broken tibia and fibula, which will require quite a lengthy recovery. Despite Ferrari winning the Grand Prix, victor Sebastian Vettel called Sunday a “mixed feeling day.” Kimi himself was slammed for being somewhat emotionless about the news.

https://jalopnik.com/kimi-raikkonen-runs-over-mechanics-leg-in-horrific-pit-1825093322

Cool. Mother's sponsoring?

ETA, I guess so. We all need to thank them at Info@mothers.com or @MothersPolish on twitter.

So, I'm not clear ... is Mother's sponsoring the rest of the season, or will there be a pool of sponsors taking turns?

ETA2:

Mothers Polish will be the presenting sponsor for the season's coverage.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/148593-espn-s-f1-races-commercial-free-until-season-s-end

Edited by wood

On 4/8/2018 at 11:53 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

"He's such a dick", Hamilton said of Verstappen.

Takes one to know one, Lewis!  :)

Finally finished the race, what a fun one to watch after Australia was a bit of a bummer. 

But, WTF Ferrari?  Sure hope that mechanic recovers quickly, that looked nasty.

• Like 1

Yeah Ferrari needs to tighten that shit up. Some people are calling for minimum pitstop times. I'm kinda on the fence on that, but it really does look like the stops are so quick that it's really difficult for anyone to realistically be able to account for everyone and other cars to ensure a safe release.  That mechanic is probably lucky his leg broke rather than getting his knee completely wrecked (if that didn't happen anyway). 

And LMAO at Lewis crying about a move he and others have pulled on people hundreds of times since he's been in the sport. The only difference is that Lewis didn't back out the way he and others always expect the outside car to do.

32 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I was hoping he was announcing that he would be driving for Toro Rosso next year.

As soon as he does, the Honda starts breaking down again. 

33 minutes ago, irockalltherocks said:

Bring back refueling if they want longer pit stops. Every other major form of motorsport refuels during races.

Agreed. That way instead of one guy breaking his leg, all the guys catch on fire. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Hell, Mercedes ain’t much faster. They better hope they can figure out the tires.

Yeah they're struggling, but there might be hope for them in their pace on the Soft tire. Weren't they quicker than Ferrari on Softs in Q2? I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I could be wrong.

That was the most fun race I've watched in a long, long time.  

Totally agree with RamJet, the TWO double-stackded pitstops from RBR were absolutely great.  I had to back up and rewind to watch the first one, and then they did it again.  Wow, just wow.  They certainly lucked out on the timing of the safety car, but like General Patton and Saint Darrell said, "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."  

Ricciardo is such an easily likable guy and it was great seeing him put in the work to win it.

Kimi taking one for the team and waiting so long on his pit, and then reaping the reward of the podium, was also great.

Fred getting past Vettel was a treat.

Only real WTF moment I can think of is the STR collision.  Come on, man, WTF?

Fun race.

Edited by utee94

On paddock pass it made it sound like miscommunication played a part in the STR crash. Apparently there was a team communication that they were going to switch positions due to different strategies, and Gasly thought Hartley was gonna let him through. But without the crash and subsequent safety car wouldn’t have been as interesting a race imo.

Fantastic team effort all weekend by Red Bull Racing, and wow Ricciardo. Say what you want about these guys, but I really dig the way they work.  I loved what one of the Sky guys said about pitting on the SC (can't remember who it was), that RBR is a racing team and just made the call on the fly while the other guys waited for their engineers to tell 'em what to do, and there just wasn't time for that.

And another race, another awesome effort by Alonso, finishing P7 despite bad timing of the SC right after he pitted. Really wanna see him in a top car again. Gasly wtf? Shut the door? There was never a gap. Poor Kimi, reduced to mobile roadblock for Vettel.