Data recovery

does it not power up, noisy when powering up, not able to mount after powering up?

def don't take it to geek squad unless you want to hand over your pr0n to the feds.

Seagate data recovery in OKC is probably the best in the nation, full cleanroom services and more affordable than most others. Yes, they recovery from WD and other drives, in fact the companies send to them for recovery in multiple cases.

I have a very good personal track record of data recovery, but if it is clicking, grating, or making bad noises, it is probably mechanical. If it just doesn't show up anymore, it can be recovered by someone that knows what they are doing locally using good quality toolsets without opening the drive.

Edited by TexasFootball18

4 minutes ago, The University said:

does it not power up, noisy when powering up, not able to mount after powering up?

def don't take it to geek squad unless you want to hand over your pr0n to the feds.

It powers up.  There is not an unusual amount of noisy.  It maintains a solid yellow light on the front indicating that the OS cannot load.  I ran Diskinternals Linux reader and it says that the Raid 1 is damaged but could be recoverable.

9 minutes ago, TexasFootball18 said:

Seagate data recovery in OKC is probably the best in the nation, full cleanroom services and more affordable than most others. Yes, they recovery from WD and other drives, in fact the companies send to them for recovery in multiple cases.

I have a very good personal track record of data recovery, but if it is clicking, grating, or making bad noises, it is probably mechanical. If it just doesn't show up anymore, it can be recovered by someone that knows what they are doing locally using good quality toolsets without opening the drive.

Okay, I will look into Seagate in OKC. I don't hear any clicking although I have only extracted 1 of the 2 drives.  I think somehow the boot partition may have gotten corrupted.  The drive has not been dropped or moved for over a year.

weird. was it actually used in a raid 1 array?

if you're comfortable with open source tools, the system rescue collection of tools (iso), recuva, and testdisk may be useful.

is the drive encrypted?

Edited by Guest

If it was in a raid1, you can break the raid array and scan the drives individually stand alone. If it was RAID5/6 etc you cannot do that!

If you were raid1 and no clicking, you probably don't need to go to Seagate, as it's probably quite a minor issue or some bad sectors at fault that can be repaired or worked around.

If its a  linux formatted drive, you may have a bad superblock preventing it from mounting, but able to be recovered near 100% manually.

BTW to remove the drives may make the enclosure unusable, or at least unsightly, they aren't really friendly to being cracked open. But if the data is worth it, that's no issue.

Edited by TexasFootball18