Remote door lock

I need to let health care workers in to my father's house without having to make a 50 mile round trip to open the door for them myself. I am not comfortable giving them a key, at least not at this point. I may be more comfortable with it as I become more familiar with the workers. He can't open the door himself because...that's the reason he needs health care workers. 

I made a couple of calls and everyone wants to sell me whole house automation. I need one lock that I can operate from an app on one phone. Any suggestions?

Nest Yale lock with nest connect (needed) is $279

Also works with google assistant so your dad can say “lock the door” or “unlock the door” in case you are unavailable.

You can control through nest app remotely.

August one works with Alexa if that matters. But for $279 you can solve this problem with Nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the Nest x Yale, and I've been pleased with it.

You can assign individual codes of your choosing, and set restrictions as to what time of day access is allowed, as well as set an expiration date for each.  It can notify you when each code is used if you'd like.

I don't think you can unlock with voice via Google Assistant (you can lock), but it's easy enough to give your old man access on a phone or tablet if you'd like.

• 3 years later...

I have a Schlage keypad deadbolt.  Wife and I have our code and Set a code for the housekeeper or anyone else we need. Change it when not needed.  Installed myself and I can barely change a light bulb.  Durable and high quality. 

Has a key for back-up but batteries last a year and give plenty of warning when getting depleted. 

Anyone have a fingerprint-operated deadbolt?

We have the Schlage numerical keypad and really like it but as our girls get older (no pics), we rather have the fingerprint than numerical which they can give away.

Ps to actually help out this thread rather than just selfishly ask a question, we recommend the Schlage numerical deadbolt.  It is great because you can give different codes to different people and turn that specific code on/off whenever you want.  We have found that super convenient for neighbors, housekeepers, dogwalkers, etc.

Edited by Hornbeliever

I have Kwikset smart locks. I can open and close remotely, I get a notification and a history of which door was opened with which code. I give the maids a new code each week. I set a new code on my phone from halfway across the country and text it to the the day they clean. When I get the notification that they left I delete that code. 
Easy installation and set up. Just logs into your wifi. I have lots of smart shit it none of it is connected to any whole home apps. 

Who are your daughters hanging out with that you fear them burglarizing you? Give them each their own code instead of a family code and pair with a doorbell camera.

I’d worry about the fingerprint not working in some scenarios, like how the iPhone fingerprint won’t work when you’ve been in a pool and your fingers are shriveled a bit.