The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Mach 1

Confession time myself, but no unpopular opinions.

Just watched it for the first time. I didn't get through it in one sitting - almost passed out an hour in a couple nights ago because I was beat. 

Just finished the remaining 2/3rds.

Fucking brilliant film. The editing, acting, script, direction, storytelling, SCORE, the countless deus ex machinas that instead of making you roll your eyes make you even more excited to see what happens next (as someone mentioned - very Odyssean). I always appreciate films that don't feel the need to shoe-horn in a romance, as well. And on top of it all I think there were only one or two plot devices that I predicted (that the name Eastwood gives under the bridge is the wrong one, and that he shoots the rope out at the end). So many more that were well disguised (other than the ones that I think Leone intended to lead the audience towards - I mean obviously it was going to end in a standoff - obviously Tuco would keep finding his way out of trouble).

As @Mach 1 said, the dubbing is pretty messy, but eh. If I can get over Maggie Gyllenhal in the Dark Knight I can get over that. 

Favorite "side plot" was the Captain getting to see that damned bridge go on his deathbed. Loved all of the tie ins to the Civil War, Eastwood giving the confederate soldier his last smoke was poetic. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, Ten Bears said:

When you have to shoot, shoot.

Don't talk.

This was my favorite quote. Just fucking perfect. 

@Pato del Muerto I don't understand how you would struggle to get through this one. It's pretty breakneck from the get go (ffs Angel Eyes shoots up an entire family like 15 minutes in). I mean I struggled the very first time I tried to get through The Godfather but that is much more of a slow burn. 

In terms of legacy it's easily the best Western I've ever seen (unless There Will Be Blood counts as a Western - but that's my 10/10 film I judge almost everything against). I watched Unforgiven the other day and this blows that out of the water. In addition, probably immediately cracks my top 20 all time (I'm young, but very into film and have seen a lot). Cinema Paradiso has always been in my top 3, so I suppose I have an affinity for Italian directors. 

Personally I wouldn't make an argument for "best film ever", but I definitely respect that opinion and would sit and listen to anyone that holds that belief. It is clearly in the all-time pantheon.

And, I got to be extremely spoiled for my first viewing. Watched the 4k restored, extended edition on a 2k screen.

Anyway, as good as advertised, and definitely something I will be re-watching and hopefully showing others for their first time. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Are we talking about the same film?

I think he's taking words from the title of the movie a bit too literally. The acting is exactly what it should be for that era, and given it's a foreign film, is a bit different than a Hollywood production.  Bad acting ?  Hardly.  

The acting in Fellinis films could be seen thru a similar cultural lens. Anyone saying that acting is terrible ?

• Like 2