I caught the cancer

Burt

At least its "only" skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma) instead of something more serious.  I'm not trying to garner sympathy, just wondering if anyone else here has had it and what everything looked like after the removal.  Mine is on my left cheek about an inch under my eye.  Probably from years of softball and lake outings, often without sunscreen.  I already have a scar on the eyelid above the eye from a sucker punch and dont want a huge scar below it as well.

I place the blame for this squarely on the head of Kevin Morgan.

1 hour ago, Burt said:

At least its "only" skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma) instead of something more serious.  I'm not trying to garner sympathy, just wondering if anyone else here has had it and what everything looked like after the removal.  Mine is on my left cheek about an inch under my eye.  Probably from years of softball and lake outings, often without sunscreen.  I already have a scar on the eyelid above the eye from a sucker punch and dont want a huge scar below it as well.

I have a spot on my arm that sort of looks like it could be a basal cell carcinoma. I probably need to finally go see a doctor about it.

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I have a spot on my arm that sort of looks like it could be a basal cell carcinoma. I probably need to finally go see a doctor about it.

Go get it done and let me know how it heals up so I can get mine done.

Edited by Burt

My wife had a couple of them removed from her shoulder.  From what I understand, how it heals depend on how thick of scar tissue (keloid tissue) your body tends to put out.  Hers isn't terribly noticeable.  No pics.

56 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Seriously go get that shit done.  I have to hear from my wife all the time about people who put it off and then they come see her and she has to basically tell them they are gonna fucking die.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously go get that shit done.  I have to hear from my wife all the time about people who put it off and then they come see her and she has to basically tell them they are gonna fucking die.

+1.

Fairly innocuous right now, but if that shit metastasizes you have a serious problem on your hands. Get it dealt with.

Just leave it alone, it'll grow on ya.

But seriously, sorry to hear the news. Like many of us I spent a shit load of time unprotected in the sun as a young'un and worry about some of the areas that I got burned pretty bad on back in the day.

Rub some dirt on it?

I had mohs on the side of my nose (ha) and it looks fine even without any plastic surgery.

Maybe it depends how many times they have to go at it, but I only had three (4th "test" was clear).

The worst part was walking around with the bandage for a few days. Really no big deal. GL!

I've had 2. One on my face and one on my ear. The ear one required a skin graft. Both were done as MOH's procedures. The size of the incisions kinda freaked me out given how small the lesions looked. However, the scars are almost non-existent. Just don't put it off, it will only get bigger over time. Also, welcome to the daily sunscreen and sun hat club. 

4 hours ago, Burt said:

my wife does Mohs and sometimes has to cut the shit out of people, she can repair most things and make them really look good with minimal scarring ..so don't worry much about the scarring   ..... just get it cut out ASAP 

Edited by michaelpshayes
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Basal cell cancer on skin is the kinder gentler cancer. Still cancer. It has very little chance of turning into a killer unless you were to let it eat half your face. BUT to minimize scarring and potential complications you should get it removed ASAP. Squamous cell cancer on skin is a little worse and melanomas are of Satan. That will kill you ded if not taken care of.

Edited by Newdoc

7 hours ago, Burt said:

C'mon.  Basal Cell?  Rub some dirt on it.  

Seriously, that's some basic stuff.  I've had several removed, along with a squamous cell or two.  The worst part is the anesthesia shot. 

Edited by Bullneck

Friend of mine had one of those cut off his shoulder some years ago. First try, no scar at all. Second try, big gnarly scar over that muscle that shrugs your shoulders up. He still pulls more poon than you or I ever have or will.

I think he even has the scar on his Tinder profile.

Edit: after further perusal of this thread, I think he had on of those squamous (sp?) things, so never mind about the poon.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

8 hours ago, Burt said:

Had the same shit, same location 8-10 years ago.  MOHS did the trick.  You can barely notice the area it was done.  Agreed with the comment that the shot is the worst part.  Also agree with the comment that the quicker you get in and get it done, the better.  Reminds me I'm due for a trip to see the derma-doc...

tl, dr; fuck Kevin Morgan.

Edited by Redneck Mutha

I had MOHS for a squamous cell on my right cheek near my ear a year and a half ago. Get it done and the sooner the better.

I have a 3/4" scar for mine and the growth was 3/8." The scar shows up more when I get a bit of a tan since some of the skin next to it does not tan. Oh well, it is preferable to death. 

4 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Basal cell cancer on skin is the kinder gentler cancer. Still cancer. It has very little chance of turning into a killer unless you were to let it eat half your face. BUT to minimize scarring and potential complications you should get it removed ASAP. Squamous cell cancer on skin is a little worse and melanomas are of Satan. That will kill you ded if not taken care of.

A guy I work with had melanoma on his thumb.  They wound up having to amputate it a couple of months ago. He went back Monday to see if they got it all. He called into the office earlier today (which he never does) to speak to the boss and I have a bad feeling there's worse news to come.   I feel bad for him...he retired from the Navy after spending 28 years on a nuclear sub, went back to school to get his meteorology degree, hired on with us at the age of 55, and here he is 17 years later still working at the age of 72 having to deal with this.  I'm pretty sure his phone call today was to inform the boss he's turning in his retirement papers, a retirement he may not even be able to enjoy.  

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

C'mon.  Basal Cell?  Rub some dirt on it.  

Seriously, that's some basic stuff.  I've had several removed, along with a squamous cell or two.  The worst part is the anesthesia shot. 

Yeah, not looking forward more needles in the face.  I got two shots when I had the biopsy done last week.  This shit hurt!

On March 28, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Burt said:

Had one removed five or six years ago from the left cheek. Doc had to whittle on it about three times before he got all of it. Got it all sewed up with lots of skin stretching, with the help of his hot nurse. Next day took bandage off and it was gross as hell. Thought I looked like Randy Travis mug shot. Probably after six weeks it got to where people stopped wanting to know what happened. Can't tell now, and been that way for years. 

• 4 years later...
11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, other than my wife, and my doctor, you fuckers are the only ones to know.  I had an endoscopy last Thursday as I have had increasing difficulty swallowing food.  The scope showed a stricture (narrowing of the esophagus near the stomach that he stretched out.  As a matter of course, like a colonoscopy, they took a few biopsies.  I got a call last night from my GE.  I got the cancer.  He's not an oncologist, so doesn't want to try to paint to much of a picture, but it's in the esophagus, so likely esophageal cancer.  That's not a good cancer.  Referred me to a top thoracic oncology surgeon at City of Hope.  Haven't yet connected.  Until the tests are done, really won't know the stage or any of that.  I've been literally having an out of body experience the last 18 hours.  Like it's somebody else.  But it's me.  Not sure how to process it.  Of course all I can think about is my family.  Son is graduating HS in a week.  I don't want this to fuck him up, so may wait to tell the kids until afterwards.  And he's planning on spending his first year of college in London.  I don't want this to fuck it up.  And, well, they really need me around.  

I'm having lunch with a few buddies today, one of which has brain cancer that is terminal.  He and I have been friends since we were kids.  I'll be driving him home.  He'll be the 2nd person I tell.  Figured he can relate.

Sorry that is happening to you.  Good luck.

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well, other than my wife, and my doctor, you fuckers are the only ones to know.  I had an endoscopy last Thursday as I have had increasing difficulty swallowing food.  The scope showed a stricture (narrowing of the esophagus near the stomach that he stretched out.  As a matter of course, like a colonoscopy, they took a few biopsies.  I got a call last night from my GE.  I got the cancer.  He's not an oncologist, so doesn't want to try to paint to much of a picture, but it's in the esophagus, so likely esophageal cancer.  That's not a good cancer.  Referred me to a top thoracic oncology surgeon at City of Hope.  Haven't yet connected.  Until the tests are done, really won't know the stage or any of that.  I've been literally having an out of body experience the last 18 hours.  Like it's somebody else.  But it's me.  Not sure how to process it.  Of course all I can think about is my family.  Son is graduating HS in a week.  I don't want this to fuck him up, so may wait to tell the kids until afterwards.  And he's planning on spending his first year of college in London.  I don't want this to fuck it up.  And, well, they really need me around.  

I'm having lunch with a few buddies today, one of which has brain cancer that is terminal.  He and I have been friends since we were kids.  I'll be driving him home.  He'll be the 2nd person I tell.  Figured he can relate.

Considering your symptoms were mild, I'm hoping that they caught it very early.

• Hook 'Em 6

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Good luck man. Kick cancer's ass.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Dammit man. You better beat this. mdleast and I are planning to give you shit when USC beats you in the Rose Bowl next season which we plan on attending. Stay strong, brother.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn man hate to read that shit but you will beat it.  We're all counting on you

1200x0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Don't google anything because half the time they're out of date and the other half, they're wrong. Oncologists got some magic wand shit now where they can give you a good shot at living to be an even older crankier bastard. Your main job now is to stay in decent mental and physical shape so they can use the maximum strength magic spells on you.

I predict that after the normal doom-and-gloom fades, you will feel calm knowing what you have, what you don't have, and what they are doing to heal it. You have an army on your side, nerdy kids who were obsessed with attacking cancer even before they got to med school. 

Go on the attack!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1