I caught the cancer

Burt

22 hours ago, Hate said:

Well fuck. I got the new yesterday. Prostate cancer. It still hasn’t sunk in yet and I’m still kind of numb. I’m deciding on which course of treatment to pursue. I was told mine is the the aggressive kind and has not spread to other organs yet, so my prognosis is pretty good. I just have to decide between radiation or surgery. Go get yourselves checked out. This was caught during my annual checkups and thank goodness it was.

Just find the right doc, and do whatever they tell you to do.  In the lottery of cancers, prostrate is the one you want.  If they caught it early, which is likely, you'll have a bumpy road but you'll get through it.  One day at a time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just find the right doc, and do whatever they tell you to do.  In the lottery of cancers, prostrate is the one you want.  If they caught it early, which is likely, you'll have a bumpy road but you'll get through it.  One day at a time.

This.  The good news is that you did not wait as long as Warren Zevon. SB is right about prostate being one of the least worst cancers, although maybe thyroid is an even better pick. No matter what Hate, you got this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The theme song of this thread:

Well, truth be told, I got hemorrhoids from chemo induced constipation that caused such severe constipation that internal roids bled and I was hospitalized for severe anemia.  And now I have to take Miralax daily to keep the pipes moving.  So yeah, my shit's fucked up, literally.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Well, truth be told, I got hemorrhoids from chemo induced constipation that caused such severe constipation that internal roids bled and I was hospitalized for severe anemia.  And now I have to take Miralax daily to keep the pipes moving.  So yeah, my shit's fucked up, literally.   

Miralax is definitely a godsend. I ain’t to that point, but pooping is a whole different thing while on chemo, that’s for damn sure.
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

FC77240D-0733-4521-ADDF-C8863ADBA1D5.jpeg.ba664403983183a49b53954649d542cd.jpeg

Seriously, I am still anemic four years later. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just to avoid anyone freaking out about the Zevon references, he had pleural mesothemia, not prostate cancer.  Asbestos related.

I've seen those commercials constantly on CNN, along with Camp LeJeune. Which is odd, you'd think that demographic would be more fox news. Then again, maybe they're running those commercials 5x as much over there, I wouldn't know. 

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I've seen those commercials constantly on CNN, along with Camp LeJeune. Which is odd, you'd think that demographic would be more fox news. Then again, maybe they're running those commercials 5x as much over there, I wouldn't know. 

Well, I'm going by the wiki claim that he spent a lot of time in an asbesto-insulated attic as a child.  Could be horseshit.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just to avoid anyone freaking out about the Zevon references, he had pleural mesothemia, not prostate cancer.  Asbestos related.

Shit. I had a vague memory of seeing him on the Letterman show where he talked about ignoring health symptoms that should’ve led him to an earlier diagnosis.  My bad.  

So substitute Warren Zevon with Gatorubet’s dad, who did die of prostate cancer after refusing to go to a check up for 15 years until it had metastasized throughout his body.

Either way, Hate ain’t that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hate said:

I haven’t done anything other than get the results. I’ll call tomorrow and get an appointment at MD Anderson and go from there. From what I understand, I have the slow growing version but cancer was in 5 of the 12 samples they took. I’m not really willing to roll the dice on this spreading to other parts. I’ll either do the surgery or I’ll do the radiation. I do want to talk to someone other than the urologist before I make that decision though.

Good luck, man.  My brother (in law but I consider him my brother) has made it 15 years after diagnosis and although it hasn’t all been butterflies and roses, he’s still in decent shape and going about life, age 70. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So substitute Warren Zevon with Gatorubet’s dad, who did die of prostate cancer after refusing to go to a check up for 15 years until it had metastasized throughout his body.

Yup, I think it was this thread where I mentioned it, but as I type my wife's dad is dealing with a crazy metasticized prostate cancer.  I mean, it's everywhere.

On 4/28/2023 at 3:16 PM, Gatorubet said:

So….saw Onc.   She says other than my poor lung CT (reflecting, my crappy decades-long asthma scarring) I’m as normal as could be, and she is ordering the surgical removal of my port since “I will not need chemotherapy anymore”.

She says I need to see her two more times (six month interval) per the standard of care -  and then I will be released from monitoring and no longer her patient  - save maybe yearly CEA blood test and follow up if weird stuff happens. 

Sounds good to me.   She also said >90% of colon cancer reoccurrence will happen the first 4 years post-diagnosis and surgery.   I am one month past four years.  Said my chance of getting colon cancer again was a “single digit”  percentage, and close to that of the general population my age.  

Cool beans. I hate the port.  It refutes that I am done with this shit. Glad to trash can it. 

That's fucking awesome.  I was kicked free from colon cancer surveillance after five years with a similar protocol.  Treatment, then saw my onc twice a year for labs (esp. CEA) and had yearly CT scans.  Then they said chances of recurrence are the same as you getting it in the first place so bye bye.  Year 4-5 should be the best year- chances of recurrence are looow after 3-4 years.  It's great not having a single thing on MyChart.  Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2023 at 5:10 PM, Not that Bob said:

Prostate Cancer is relatively common in men, 13%, and very slow growing. My dad used to say, "We've all got it. It's just a matter of whether or not we live long enough for it to show itself." 

I've always heard (most) prostate cancer is something you die with, not from.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sucks to see the thread updated with new people impacted. It doesn’t mean much from an internet stranger I’m sure, but you all are in the thoughts of many around here. Keep us updated.

Wife had a PET scan yesterday related to a large mass that was found in her lung on a CT scan several months ago. Goes in yesterday, gets a text update this afternoon that results have been posted to her online portal. Her follow up was scheduled for next week. That seems like a pretty shitty way to handle scan results of this magnitude in my opinion. Luckily, it’s not cancer and appears to be a large cyst that she’s going to have to have the lower section of her lung removed to resolve, but I can’t get past the thought of what a shit way to find out you had cancer. Maybe, that’s a normal process but that just seems strange.

Edited by Brew

19 minutes ago, Brew said:

Sucks to see the thread updated with new people impacted. It doesn’t mean much from an internet stranger I’m sure, but you all are in the thoughts of many around here. Keep us updated.

Wife had a PET scan yesterday related to a large mass that was found in her lung on a CT scan several months ago. Goes in yesterday, gets a text update this afternoon that results have been posted to her online portal. Her follow up was scheduled for next week. That seems like a pretty shitty way to handle scan results of this magnitude in my opinion. Luckily, it’s not cancer and appears to be a large cyst that she’s going to have to have the lower section of her lung removed to resolve, but I can’t get past the thought of what a shit way to find out you had cancer. Maybe, that’s a normal process but that just seems strange.

Us “pro’s” usually like that feature.  I always want to know at the earliest time. 
I can see where it would be jarring. 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:34 PM, Hate said:

Well fuck. I got the new yesterday. Prostate cancer. It still hasn’t sunk in yet and I’m still kind of numb. I’m deciding on which course of treatment to pursue. I was told mine is the the aggressive kind and has not spread to other organs yet, so my prognosis is pretty good. I just have to decide between radiation or surgery. Go get yourselves checked out. This was caught during my annual checkups and thank goodness it was.

I would go to MD Anderson and do whatever they tell me. 

I hate checking this thread. Sorry for the news, but glad the prognosis is relatively good. Fight the good fight, and for fuck sake, don’t lose your sense of humor.

• Hook 'Em 2

Shit BL, I am so sorry to hear this.  But you’re a tough sumbitch who I know for 20 years, and W&W are a great support network.  If there’s anything I can help with at MD Anderson, lemme know.  Or if you wanna come take your mind off shit and hang in Austin, you’re always welcome.  I don’t know how to tell your wife’s old friend that I randomly clicked on this thread to learn the news after looking at “I’d pee in her butt” at 5am, but here we are.  

Look on the bright side, if you get nauseous or can’t eat after chemo, you’ll get to try marijuana for the first time. ;) 

but seriously man, we will pray for this week and every week at church. Call or text me if you just wanna talk football and the Grateful Dead.  Our best to W&W.  Let me know if there’s anything you need help with.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

@jimmyjazz @Hate @Gatorubet @Sbbruin

just checking in with y’all.

I feel that we let the threads that make us vulnerable fall too far back and we only look for them when bad news is given. So I just wanted to let all of you know you’re in my prayers daily. Along with your caregivers and family who suffer through it with you.  This is kind of a catch all because I know it’s family members for some tagged above. 

Hug your moms tight today if you still have them and are with them. This shit disease took mine too early and it’s our first Mother’s Day without her. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

just checking in with y’all.d are with them. 

Thanks.  Father-in-law is fading fast.  Hospice will visit tomorrow -- I assume they'll admit him.  Super low blood sugar (he's diabetic, by the way), elevated heart rate with afib, and of course, cancer everywhere.  He's miserable.  Hopefully they'll switch from whatever narcotic he's on to morphine.

They actually ran some sort of genetic testing and it turns out he has a marker that correlates to increased cancer risk or metasticization risk or something.  I'm getting all this second hand from my wife, who also got it second hand, so I'm not sure the exact details.  At any rate, it's probably fair to say he's genetically predisposed to more severe disease.

Edited by jimmyjazz

I’m kind of in a holding pattern. I’ve got my appointments at MD Anderson, but they aren’t until July. They don’t seem too concerned about mine spreading or they would have moved me up. I have a meeting with a surgeon and an oncologist to discuss treatment paths. Until then, there isn’t too much to say. Every once in a while it does hit me, but it all still seems surreal. I’m sure it will become more real once July rolls around.

• Hook 'Em 5

47 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

I feel that we let the threads that make us vulnerable fall too far back and we only look for them when bad news is given. So I just wanted to let all of you know you’re in my prayers daily. Along with your caregivers and family who suffer through it with you.  This is kind of a catch all because I know it’s family members for some tagged above. 

Hug your moms tight today if you still have them and are with them. This shit disease took mine too early and it’s our first Mother’s Day without her. 

@Anton Chigurh

30 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m kind of in a holding pattern. I’ve got my appointments at MD Anderson, but they aren’t until July. They don’t seem too concerned about mine spreading or they would have moved me up. I have a meeting with a surgeon and an oncologist to discuss treatment paths. Until then, there isn’t too much to say. Every once in a while it does hit me, but it all still seems surreal. I’m sure it will become more real once July rolls around.

If you've seen some of my other posts, you know that I think MD Anderson is the best in the world. Try to not rush it. Take more days off than you may think you will need. Take a "leisurely" walk around the place. Get familiar so you don't add the anxiety of having to find an office at the last minute. IOW make a dry run if possible. Take someone with you to act as a secretary or scribe. You will get hit with much more information than you will be able to remember without someone being with you to take notes. If your initial consultation says, "Get an x-ray tomorrow", go at that moment and see where the x-ray department is. It's a big place. Become at least somewhat familiar. Take a deep breath. There is plenty of art work and other stuff to see which is not sickness related. See the sights. Let some of the tension come out of your shoulders. You are at the right place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Etxhorn81 said:

Yeah, lost my mom to oral cancer in 2014.  Fucking insidious shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

@tx 3 putt  thank you. I don’t know everyone who is impacted.  If there is anyone I missed, please let me know  

@jimmyjazz hospice is the most amazing thing. They become part of the family in a horrible time. Just communicate with them for everything. My moms final Two days they kept her very sedated. It was a pain medication and an anti anxiety med. it was liquid and we would put it under her tongue every half hour. 

@Sbbruin are you doing ok with yours?

@Hate just keep rollin. Stay away from looking it up on the internet. That use to just scare me to death.  I think googling stuff put me over the edge at times. 

• Like 1

I also assume everybody here is taking a shit ton of vitamin D.  If you aren’t, you should be.  And if you are not at a higher risk of getting melanoma, because of a lifetime of sun exposure, spend some time in the sun, doing something fun and get a nice tan. Having worked inside almost my entire life I am not worried about sun exposure in my late 60s. My oncologist told me getting Vitamin D was a greater benefit than the risk of exposure, but that the dermatologists would fight her.  lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

@tx 3 putt  thank you. I don’t know everyone who is impacted.  If there is anyone I missed, please let me know  

@jimmyjazz hospice is the most amazing thing. They become part of the family in a horrible time. Just communicate with them for everything. My moms final Two days they kept her very sedated. It was a pain medication and an anti anxiety med. it was liquid and we would put it under her tongue every half hour. 

@Sbbruin are you doing ok with yours?

@Hate just keep rollin. Stay away from looking it up on the internet. That use to just scare me to death.  I think googling stuff put me over the edge at times. 

Still struggling with eating.  Have my 4th esophagogastroduodonoscopy scheduled for the 31st to try and stretch my esophagus again.  We’ll see.  I can’t complain though.  Woke up to a sunny day.  I’ll take it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Still struggling with eating.  Have my 4th esophagogastroduodonoscopy scheduled for the 31st to try and stretch my esophagus again.  We’ll see.  I can’t complain though.  Woke up to a sunny day.  I’ll take it.

Nobody can pronounce that shit Bruin.  

But good luck with your food pipe balloon. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Etxhorn81 said:

@jimmyjazz hospice is the most amazing thing. They become part of the family in a horrible time. Just communicate with them for everything. 

Yes, my father was in hospice for a while with glioblastoma multiforme, and his main/favorite nurse was an absolute godsend.  They became very close.  After he passed, we brought her a gift at her main hospital only to find out she had been fired because she was late for work one day.  I mean, wtf?  I hope she landed in a better spot, she was fantastic.

Well my son's best friends are twins, they go scuba diving with us, vacations, etc. We were having a party on Saturday night, when they got the call that their uncle had passed. He was a UT-Austin grad, and had put in 33 years at Lockheed and had just retired. He rode in amateur bike races, noticed he was feeling weak and tired a lot more. At Christmas, he went in for an MRI. The tumor was bad enough, they scheduled his surgery to be performed in the next 24 hours. He had completed 21 of 25 radiation treatments, woke up for the 22nd one, and was paralyzed from the waist down, and could no longer speak, or eat. Just bad shit all the way around.

I have another friend that is a handyman. His son and mine fish a lot together. About nine years ago, he was diagnosed with stage four cancer in his sinus cavities. He had a horrible surgery, where they basically skinned his face off, and removed the tumors from his sinus cavities. They removed all they could, and gave him a terminal diagnoses of about 30 days.I don't want to offend anyone, but basically, he had "nothing to loose" with going experimental. He watched countless videos, made numerous phone calls and settled on a treatment of Fenbendazole, and turmeric. Yeah, the dog de-wormer. 

He swung by my house to pick up a turbo I gave him to go on his Dodge Cummins last week. I asked him how he felt, he said never better. Nine years ago, he was in bed, at home, with 24 hour hospice care, and a feeding tube. Now, he is back to work full time with enough energy to work on vehicles on the weekend. He still takes his medication regiment, it is very inexpensive, and like he said, he gets a free dog biscuit with every order.

I know this sounds like the hokey Ivermectin argument with COVID, but I seen it with my own eyes. He barely weighed a buck twenty, now he is a healthy 185. I couldn't, in good conscious, not even lay it out there. Especially for those that have been told to go home, there is nothing else we can do but make you comfortable guys.

I would never have believed it, if I would never have seen how bad off he was those years ago.

Here is another guy that did the same thing:

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

If you've seen some of my other posts, you know that I think MD Anderson is the best in the world. Try to not rush it. Take more days off than you may think you will need. Take a "leisurely" walk around the place. Get familiar so you don't add the anxiety of having to find an office at the last minute. IOW make a dry run if possible. Take someone with you to act as a secretary or scribe. You will get hit with much more information than you will be able to remember without someone being with you to take notes. If your initial consultation says, "Get an x-ray tomorrow", go at that moment and see where the x-ray department is. It's a big place. Become at least somewhat familiar. Take a deep breath. There is plenty of art work and other stuff to see which is not sickness related. See the sights. Let some of the tension come out of your shoulders. You are at the right place.

Shiiiiiit, it ain’t a maze. Just show up ten minutes early and you’ll be fine. Watch your elevator banks. Main campus is a bitch to get to. Tell them patient no. 2144027 said to suck his balls.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

Shiiiiiit, it ain’t a maze. Just show up ten minutes early and you’ll be fine. Watch your elevator banks. Main campus is a bitch to get to. Tell them patient no. 2144027 said to suck his balls.

I was sent to more than one campus for labs.  It was sorta confusing.  Fortunately the walkway between them was enclosed.  

30 minutes ago, Sal said:

Add me to the list. Currently on the third cycle of three rounds of chemo treatment for Stage IIB/III testicular cancer after the cancer returned via my lymph nodes. This last cycle should be it for me barring a major lymph node removal surgery if the tumors aren’t gone completely. I was able to finish all of my classes this spring at my MBA program and am planning to reward myself with a trip to Iceland in August and/or Texas-Alabama in the fall.  

All credit to CDC. My brother contacted him, and he sent me a UT baseball cap and a personal note wishing me well. It’s not just an act for Twitter. 

If he had a sense of humor, he’d have sent you two balls. Hope the third round was the charm!

• Hook 'Em 2

Scan results this week. Liver lesions have continued to shrink, about 50% down from dx. Colon mass is stable. Doctor said that's about as positive as anyone can hope for. I also am done with the ox, 6 rounds with that horrible beast and I'm glad to be done. 

However, I have had new abdominal pain and pain while urinating (also I'm totally sure now that I don't like mixing pain with orgasms). It started about a week after my last scan so I've been dealing with it for two months. Piss tests showed no infections. Well this scan revealed that the colon tumor has tethered itself to my bladder and may be forming a colovesical fistula, fancy words for a tube that grows between the two and you can start pissing out shit. That part of my colon isn't hooked up anymore, so luckily I've been spared that. 

Oncologist sent a referral to a urologist but it's been a week and they haven't scheduled an appointment yet.  Really wanting to get this fixed. Will probably require a surgery. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, seven said:

Scan results this week. Liver lesions have continued to shrink, about 50% down from dx. Colon mass is stable. Doctor said that's about as positive as anyone can hope for. I also am done with the ox, 6 rounds with that horrible beast and I'm glad to be done. 

However, I have had new abdominal pain and pain while urinating (also I'm totally sure now that I don't like mixing pain with orgasms). It started about a week after my last scan so I've been dealing with it for two months. Piss tests showed no infections. Well this scan revealed that the colon tumor has tethered itself to my bladder and may be forming a colovesical fistula, fancy words for a tube that grows between the two and you can start pissing out shit. That part of my colon isn't hooked up anymore, so luckily I've been spared that. 

Oncologist sent a referral to a urologist but it's been a week and they haven't scheduled an appointment yet.  Really wanting to get this fixed. Will probably require a surgery. 

Damn @seven, sounds rough, despite the positive cancer direction.  You know, it pisses me off that there are a whole handful of us fucking with this shit.  Just seems this should be reserved for bad people.  And none of you seems like that.

Well this scan revealed that the colon tumor has tethered itself to my bladder and may be forming a colovesical fistula, fancy words for a tube that grows between the two and you can start pissing out shit.
Not sure if good or bad. Some John’s probably pay extra for that.
Hang in there seven. Glad to see the tumor shrinking and you getting closer to surgery.  I had to wait a while to have my surgery as they thought my cancer had spread to my lungs and my liver as well.  Took a bit to figure out they could go ahead and cut.
All of us here just have to be glad we are sitting here in 2023. The weapons they have now versus 20 years ago is simply amazing. Please keep us informed.  you got this buddy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Godamn.  Didn’t think it was possible, but sinus cavity cancer sounds even worse.  My god. 

My mom passed from oral cancer (of the mouth in‘15)second bout which meant it had dug into her.   We had the option to try to save her at age 83 by removing her lower jaw and feeding her through a tube for the rest of what would be a shitty life, and she said “NO”. So we watched her go.  Spent 35 days in a row seeing  her.  But that shit seems like it can take root absolutely anywhere.  It’s a cunt of the highest order.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Probably documented on here or elsewhere but pops is set for brain scan tomorrow. His ophthalmologist is quite concerned (eye bulge, dizzy, lethargic). Assuming the worst this would be the 5th bout of cancer in ~12 yrs… prostate then a 7 yr break before all hell broke loose with a sarcoma in shin, followed by chemo killing his kidneys off, only to have cancer return to his plura/chest cavity (was given last rights and hospice talk before keytruda saved him in less than 6 wks, been subject of white papers bc of it), then a year later he had to have a lime removed from his brain and been pretty steady/ok-ish for a few yrs. #run-on

So here we are again, expecting more bad news. No cr but he’s kinda trumpian, how the hell is he gonna wriggle out of it this time. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Damor said:

God bless all of y'all, no matter where you are in your journey.

My dad just called to let me know that his wife passed away from recurrent "triple-negative" breast cancer, the same variant that my mom died from.

Made a widower twice by the same malignancy.  That's heartbreaking cruelty.

Fuck cancer indeed.

Oh my God. I am so sorry to hear the news of your dad and his late wives passing.  How devastating 

• Like 1