Men’s tennis 2019 season.

perfectchaos007

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah if Center was willing to throw away his reputation just to help fund the tennis center because the school was dragging its feet, heads should roll at Texas.

A worse scenario would be that somebody in the admin knew about and encouraged this as a "workaround".  If so, that person will probably be ratted out and is also toast.

15 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

We were raising funds under the Patterson administration. Checks out 

Sad !      Maybe Patterson will be indicted.

At the time, former athletic director Steve Patterson told Center and UT tennis alumni that they alone would have to raise the funds for a new facility. Normally, the school takes out long-term debt for most facility projects.

https://www.hookem.com/story/three-year-journey-without-home-almost-finished-texas-tennis/

From former player Michael Riechmann... 

As a player of his, I'm absolutely shocked lmao. The funny part is the aforementioned kid showed up on our roster for 2 days and we found it strange at the time but now it all makes sense. Center is an absolute class act and nice dude but guess you can't always judge a book by his cover.

Nope, that would have been extremely funny, but we never had the pleasure of meeting the kid. He just showed up on our roster ... and I'm starting to think my coach ****** that up as part of the whole keeping it secret part lmao.

That's the surprising part more than anything ... Like he had an extremely cush job with so many extra benefits it made no sense to me.

6 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So.. I take it this is going to be a lengthy search or is there a heir apparent to this position?

Will be a lengthy search. CDC took his time with track and softball. Has shown he wants the cream of the crop.

Most likely nobody will properly have an interview until after the season is over in mid May.

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

A bit sad to see Center go. I've had conversations with him in the past and he's a really sociable and relatable person. Unfortunately greed got the best of him.

I was a longhorn tennis camp camper in the early 2000's. He was one of the guys running the camp so thats how I met him

On 3/12/2019 at 2:13 PM, ClubWhatever said:

A worse scenario would be that somebody in the admin knew about and encouraged this as a "workaround".  If so, that person will probably be ratted out and is also toast.

Sounds like you're saying it was plonsky?

• Like 1

Still pretty impressive for a team that doesn't have a permanent head coach.

If this team achieves something great this year (Big 12 title and a long run in the tournament), does Berque get the job? It would be the easiest transition and he's been a head coach. 

Edited by Js1

Problem with Berque is that he'd be a step down when looking at his coaching tenure at Michigan. Only advanced to Sweet 16 once, never won a conference championship (in a conference with only two powerhouses), only one ever top 20 final ranking...

If this team makes a deep run, questions also remain how much of this is Center's work

Tennis is more about recruiting than game day Xs and Os. Development is important as well but cases like Colin Markes are too few and far in between to rely on lower ranked recruits developing into starters by their senior year. You really have to get a couple of blue chip recruits annually to be a good team. Center had been doing very well from a recruiting standpoint over the past 6 years starting with Soren-Hess and as a result we’ve had some very good teams in the latter half of this decade. We need a proven recruiter for our next coach... Someone who has a record of landing the best foreign and domestic tennis players. We’re not looking for the Mensa of tennis here