"Under 21"

TahoeHorn

On 3/28/2018 at 1:42 PM, pyrohornIII said:

I agree with this.  Drinking age used to be 18, but then MADD happened. 

Exactly...   Imagine how some of them felt when they could drink at 18 and then the age was raised to 21. I don't remember any grandfather clauses

26 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Why is this in Politics? Sounds more like a Bada Bing Current Events topic. Unless the end game is veiled request to raise the voting age because Parkland. 

It's a Bada Bing topic.  I post a lot of Bada Bing topics.  But a lot get political.  And many posters attribute incorrect motives to me.   So I know it'll go Cloak Room.

So should I go with "theory" or "practice".  I almost always choose practice in life and on the Internet.

I want to be entertained. There are no people to convince.  No change to make in society.  No Constitutional Amendments to pass.  All I'll get is entertainment.

Do you think anything else is possible?  If so you are a fool.

Chicago columnist Mike Royko disappointed his young readers when he surprised them by coming out in favor of raising the drinking age to 21. He bought in to the reasoning of one his buddies from the corner tavern: "I don't want anyone in this bar young enough to think they are having a good time."

On a slightly more serious note, I agree with Fondren Rd 100%. It's about driving and not alcohol per se, and zoning and sprawl created a lot of this problem, and once we enter our glorious Google Car future, there will be no good reason to keep the drinking age at 21. 

On 3/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, TahoeHorn said:

Anyone with a bad case of 16 year old boy disease shouldn't be engaging in potentially life ruining activity - activity which requires moderation and judgement to avoid bad consequences.  And they shouldn't be making decisions which impact the lives of others.

Should age be the sole basis for determining the rights of young adults?  And what age? I don't have a good answer.  But I am troubled that we are not consistent.  When I was a boy most everything except military service was 21.  But the Vietnam War seemed to be the impetus for a lot of change (If you're old enough to ...).  I'm inclined to think the old way may have made more sense.

You couldn’t be more transparent if you tried. 

I don’t doubt your next thread will ponder whether anybody who isn’t in a position to own land is fit to make decisions that impact the lives of others. 

On 3/30/2018 at 12:38 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Roy Moore? That you? 

No, and the age of consent for foreigners in the Philippines is 18 and I strictly follow that. The age of consent between Filipinos is 12 and after meeting about 10 girls the first few weeks that had their first child at 15, and a 20 year old with 4 kids, I stopped keeping track. This place is a world away from American prejudices on the age issue.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:02 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What about earning a living playing in the NFL at age 18 or 19? Because 99% of players can not.  Why is that? 

I know it’s in the NFL CBA rules between the players and owners that a person must be three years removed from high school to be NFL eligible but why is that?

I’ve been of the opinion if you’re good enough to earn a living playing football at age 18, you should be allowed to do so if you choose.

This is getting off topic but the average 18-year-old five-star hotshot football player isn’t physically or mentally prepared for the NFL. I don’t care how good he is in high school. The NBA comparison isn’t valid.

As I see it you aren't an adult until age 25, because until then your insurance(health, car, etc) all think you are a kid. I've not read any of these posts. Also can't rent cars without a corporate account sponsor at most rental agencies until 25 as well. 

Edited by TexasFootball18

2 hours ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

This is getting off topic but the average 18-year-old five-star hotshot football player isn’t physically or mentally prepared for the NFL. I don’t care how good he is in high school. The NBA comparison isn’t valid.

The average 18-year-old five-star hotshot basketball player isn't physically or mentally prepared for the NBA, either.

Ă—
Ă—