The OxyContin family

Nice Guy Eddie

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

If they lied then fine, hammer their asses. I'm only saying that it's been common knowledge that opioids are highly addictive for many years. 

Purdue Pharma (OxyContin) told doctors that fewer than 1% of patients using their drugs become addicted.  Perhaps physicians should have been more skeptical of that claim but docs can’t be expected to run their own pharmaceutical studies. 

• Like 2

If they lied then fine, hammer their asses. I'm only saying that it's been common knowledge that opioids are highly addictive for many years. 

And they lied to regulators and lied to doctors and knew they were selling way more product than legitimate use would support. And they fucking gloated about it. If pharma had to take personal responsibility the Perdue family would be in jail next to El Chapo.

But instead of reading this thread and looking at the judgment today and thinking maybe Johnson Johnson does deserve this you come in with a bullshit platitude that is solely design to keep bad actors from bearing any responsibility for their actions because hey maybe if your little brother was stronger he had been able to stop punching himself in the face

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, elfenix said:

And they lied to regulators and lied to doctors and knew they were selling way more product than legitimate use would support. And they fucking gloated about it. If pharma had to take personal responsibility the Perdue family would be in jail next to El Chapo.

But instead of reading this thread and looking at the judgment today and thinking maybe Johnson Johnson does deserve this you come in with a bullshit platitude that is solely design to keep bad actors from bearing any responsibility for their actions because hey maybe if your little brother was stronger he had been able to stop punching himself in the face

Why don't you chill the fuck out

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I shattered my hand. Doc gave me 20 Tylenol 3. I was a bit pissed off about it. Got told to deal with it. I did. Everything turned out fine. It wasn't something that would be chronic. These doctors overprescribing fucked over the folks that need it long term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

I want these things and I’m not ashamed to say it.

Oh snakeskin cowboy,

Who the the hell you think you are,

Dancin' round in your high heel boots,

Don't think that should get you far
Just hangin' around with your fancy pants on 
Aint got nothin' on me
Thinking you got it right here on the stage
Stick around boys, maybe I can set you free

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 3

I'm not saying the doctors weren't complicit.  Far from it.  I'm saying going after the doctors/dealers on an individual basis (Dr. Feelgood gave my kid pills that addicted and killed him) should be seen as small potatoes compared to Giant Company makes a marketing decision to addict thousands.  It's like going after your local corner drug dealer vs. El Chapo.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Oh snakeskin cowboy,

Who the the hell you think you are,

Dancin' round in your high heel boots,

Don't think that should get you far
Just hangin' around with your fancy pants on 
Aint got nothin' on me
Thinking you got it right here on the stage
Stick around boys, maybe I can set you free

Sing it, muthafucka!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Also common knowledge that alcohol is highly addictive.  There is a risk, for everyone that chooses to drink, that they become addicted to alcohol.

However, alcohol is not prescribed by physicians for any known malady.  Nor have alcohol manufacturers attempted to change the standard of care for a malady so that vast quantities of alcohol become the treatment standard.

Also, I cut doctors a bit of slack.  They have a whole lot to keep up with without analyzing the efficacy of every drug pharma sticks in front of them.  Now, though, I think it's absolutely incumbent upon them not to "take pharma's word," because they are proven liars on this and many other fronts.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

People need to take more responsibility for their own actions. I hate that prescription pain killer shit and all but refuse to use it, ever, period. That said, it's no secret(and hasn't been) that opioids are highly addictive. But hey let's sue somehody....yeah!!!

This. There is only one cure to the painkiller “epidemic”

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

*Purdue (no connection to the University)

Perdue is a bunch of chicken pushers.  Also, the family name is Sackler, not Purdue or Perdue.

• Like 2

You realize that's why there was a trial, right? The state proved that they lied. Hence, they are legally liable.

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, I cut doctors a bit of slack.  They have a whole lot to keep up with without analyzing the efficacy of every drug pharma sticks in front of them.

I understand that early on doctors would have accepted what pharma was telling them about this miracle painkiller. What I’m cynical about is after the bodies started piling up year after year, why didn’t doctors react more energically? Shit, you don’t even need to wait for dead bodies; when patients start coming back begging for refills, that should have raised all kinds of alarms.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, immortal13 said:

On 8/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, elfenix said:

actions like knowingly and intentionally lying to the public about the dangers of your drugs? 

I was doing rotations in med school when this shit went down.  Our rural rotations (required) were a trip.  The Pharm reps were giving out rebates for free fentanyl suckers (actiq).  The doctors in bumblefuck, KS were literally giving them out like candy.  

And the reps pushed how they weren’t addictive. What a fucking mess.  

Edit:  also around the same time pain became a ‘vital sign’ and providers were docked if their patient population had high pain scores.  Perfect storm for pharma to push the fuck out of overprescribing.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Purdue pharma reportedly offers $10-12 Billion to settle their cases. If that is their offer, they must really see guilty verdicts in their future.

That's pretty cheap considering they are negotiating to settle with every city, county, state, and Indian tribe in the country at the same time. 

There must be pressure in that family to find a way out. some are not even involved with the company other than cashing a check. but now they literally cannot give their money away to legitimate charities or organizations. I'm not giving them any sympathy but I'm sure some of them are willing to part with a percentage of their wealth to become more anonymous again.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, elfenix said:

sackler family came out $10 billion ahead in this game.  it's time for torches and pitchforks.

I think a number of state Attorneys General are not participating in the deal and are challenging the bankruptcy, so they may not be out of the woods. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 5:49 AM, futureman said:

hindsight is 20/20.  there’s probably an element of greed but the shit was made for cancer patients and chronic pain sufferers.  they didn’t huddle up and say “how can we destroy lives while getting filthy rich in the process?”

Would be difficult to have a more uninformed opinion than this, but futureman.

refute anything I said.  go ahead, I'll wait.
From the article linked above

Kapoor and four other executives were found guilty last year of orchestrating a criminal conspiracy to bribe doctors to prescribe the company's medication, including to patients who didn't need it. They then lied to insurance companies to make sure the costly oral fentanyl spray was covered.
  • Like 1