Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

where it says share to and there is a list of icons, choose the copy link button underneath and click it. Then paste that here. 

darinwoodfineart. Yeah, I don't use Tik Tok, but guess I might just due to stupid dog things. Thanks! 

6 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So got some bad news today.  Poor Rini, who has kicked adenocarcinoma twice, is now being dealt a hand that I do not think she is going to beat.  

We went into the vet for a quarter sized spot on her nose.  After a biopsy, it was determined it was a Stage III Mast Cell tumor, which has spread into her lymph nodes.  In addition, the adenocarcinoma is back, and is in the lymph node in her belly, which we caught because of all the imaging we had ordered to diagnose problem one.  Oh, and she has a UTI (and is on Clavamox already) just to make things extra fun.

So, we are just trying to keep her quality of life good.  It could be 1-2 months with just the Prednisone, or it could be, because we are going to give her Palladia (targeted chemo), longer.  

In any case, she has had a hell of a run and it sucks to be in this position with her.  I wish there were more I could do, but keeping her comfy and healthy is the best I can do.  I might be changing up my Paris plans as she is my priority.

In any case, Rini and I would both appreciate positive thoughts coming our way.

You've given her her best life. She loves you for that. Now, just do right by her and make sure she doesn't suffer and give her all your love.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So got some bad news today.  Poor Rini, who has kicked adenocarcinoma twice, is now being dealt a hand that I do not think she is going to beat.  

We went into the vet for a quarter sized spot on her nose.  After a biopsy, it was determined it was a Stage III Mast Cell tumor, which has spread into her lymph nodes.  In addition, the adenocarcinoma is back, and is in the lymph node in her belly, which we caught because of all the imaging we had ordered to diagnose problem one.  Oh, and she has a UTI (and is on Clavamox already) just to make things extra fun.

So, we are just trying to keep her quality of life good.  It could be 1-2 months with just the Prednisone, or it could be, because we are going to give her Palladia (targeted chemo), longer.  

In any case, she has had a hell of a run and it sucks to be in this position with her.  I wish there were more I could do, but keeping her comfy and healthy is the best I can do.  I might be changing up my Paris plans as she is my priority.

In any case, Rini and I would both appreciate positive thoughts coming our way.

That really sucks, sorry to hear that. I’ve never dealt with a dog on chemo but know a few that have, including my FIL. He regretted it because although it extended the life of his dog a few months, the quality of that life was not improved on chemo. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just something to be aware of. Only you know what will work best for Rini.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/9/2022 at 2:02 PM, hookemATL said:

So sorry ❤️ Hugs and kisses to Rini. Hang in there Penelope. We’re here for you. 

Thanks. So far, she is doing ok.  The peeing every 3-4 hours sucks, and I hope that the antibiotic she is on will help with that, but there is probably other stuff going on.  So far, that is really the only thing.  She still tries to chase rats when we go outside (thanks, COVID) and still wags her tail.  

On 3/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, Deej said:

You've given her her best life. She loves you for that. Now, just do right by her and make sure she doesn't suffer and give her all your love.

That is what I am aiming for.  I talked with my vet yesterday evening, and she said that when I make the decision, she will support it 100%.  She is amazed that Rini has beaten the odds mutiple times, and she knows I do not want to see her suffer.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:43 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Where do I donate for Rini’s unlimited cheese burger fund!  Sorry to hear it. Spoil her rotten. 

She has had McDonald's cheeseburgers (no pickles, no onions, and no salt) the last two days.  They are so bland that they are the only thing I can keep down as well since I am battling a lovely stomach bug.  We make a pair.

8 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

That really sucks, sorry to hear that. I’ve never dealt with a dog on chemo but know a few that have, including my FIL. He regretted it because although it extended the life of his dog a few months, the quality of that life was not improved on chemo. Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just something to be aware of. Only you know what will work best for Rini.

Yeah, I debated on it.  I got the targeted Chemo (Palladia), that is done for mast cell tumors (based on the rec from her oncologist).  We only got a 5 week supply, so I figured, I would give it a shot.  We will go back at the end of that.  After a consult with her regular vet, I think I am coming to the mind that we will plan for a Mid-May end date unless there is a miracle.  I do not want to see her quality of life degrade.  She has been too good of a dog to put through that.  I let Abby go two weeks too long and I regret it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Dogs do be crazy like that, though. Otis has a weird one-off puke every once in a while over the past year. We attributed it to us going back to working in our offices and him being anxious, him being older and already being on specialty food, etc. the fact that he took such a steep dive yesterday was honestly a godsend, because he never met us know he was uncomfortable. I feel like I did right by him and that all that really matters. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fuuuuuuuuu...... Winston had a cough that turned into a serious honking. Took him to the vet Thursday and they heard a little fluid in his lungs but nothing unusual heart-related. So was sent home with anti-inflammatory and antibiotics.

Today (Saturday) went downhill to the point where he was struggling. We took him to the emergency animal hospital. They're keeping him overnight on oxygen and pushing some stronger meds... checking blood and trying to rule out anything other than a potentially aggressive aspirational pneumonia.

We'll know more tomorrow.

I need him back on guard duty.

84afba718a56d5823e7c7c25eef135c5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Update on Miss Rini.  She responded to the Antibiotics so the UTI/Bladder Infection is toast.  She is peeing regularly now (i.e. not inside or at night) and is even jumping back on the bed again at night (my back is happy about that).  

On the other fronts.  The steroids helped the swelling in her face and lymph nodes, so she looks normal again.  She has not had any real side effects to the Palladia, so we will see how that is working.  

So far, quality of life is good.  I am really monitoring her, but I had in my mind given a date of May 11, and unless there is a miracle, that is still the plan.  I do not want her to suffer at all, and I want to give her her best life for the next 6-8 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Just got that horrible call. Winston passed suddenly from a pulmonary embolism.

RIP buddy. You were a good boy.

a99e112901496141ef15a4bfec662b1f.jpg

RIP Winston

9 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Luna never gets on the furniture at our place unless it's storming. 

She has no problem getting on couches in other homes.

IMG_20220320_200740.jpg

That look on her face. It says "Hey Dad. Check this out. I'm on this fucker's couch" 

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Update on Miss Rini.  She responded to the Antibiotics so the UTI/Bladder Infection is toast.  She is peeing regularly now (i.e. not inside or at night) and is even jumping back on the bed again at night (my back is happy about that).  

On the other fronts.  The steroids helped the swelling in her face and lymph nodes, so she looks normal again.  She has not had any real side effects to the Palladia, so we will see how that is working.  

So far, quality of life is good.  I am really monitoring her, but I had in my mind given a date of May 11, and unless there is a miracle, that is still the plan.  I do not want her to suffer at all, and I want to give her her best life for the next 6-8 weeks.

Glad you're keeping her happy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1