Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Advice please. I give my dogs sentinel pills for heartworm and fleas every month. My wee chihuahua mix is biting his leg and leaving bald spots, two on one leg. He doesn't seem itchy and I can't see any fleas. I mean he might get some in the yard but they don't stay on because I can't find any when I check. WTF? Is this because he is a nervous chihuahua weirdo or are these allergy related?

Any home remedies or should I take the hit for visit and meds from the vet? I had a propane issue this month that cost me a bit and am trying to watch expenses but I don't want my little guy to suffer. I looked on the internets and it seems to say it is okay to use neosporin but he still licks it and I don't want to make him sick. Should I run to Tomlinson's or Tractor Supply and see what they have for this? This seems like a problem that should have a home remedy if it is allergies. If it is nervous chihuahua weirdness then fuck my life. The little guy is a cute prancer twink and this really fucks up his look. 

• Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Advice please. I give my dogs sentinel pills for heartworm and fleas every month. My wee chihuahua mix is biting his leg and leaving bald spots, two on one leg. He doesn't seem itchy and I can't see any fleas. I mean he might get some in the yard but they don't stay on because I can't find any when I check. WTF? Is this because he is a nervous chihuahua weirdo or are these allergy related?

Any home remedies or should I take the hit for visit and meds from the vet? I had a propane issue this month that cost me a bit and am trying to watch expenses but I don't want my little guy to suffer. I looked on the internets and it seems to say it is okay to use neosporin but he still licks it and I don't want to make him sick. Should I run to Tomlinson's or Tractor Supply and see what they have for this? This seems like a problem that should have a home remedy if it is allergies. If it is nervous chihuahua weirdness then fuck my life. The little guy is a cute prancer twink and this really fucks up his look. 

Apoquel works amazingly on allergies, but it's expensive as hell.  Of course, it might be a lot cheaper for a chihuahua than for a Newfie.  We were paying $5/day for Apoquel for Zeus, but it kept him from chewing holes in himself, so...

On 6/10/2022 at 9:32 PM, burntorangebongos said:

On 6/10/2022 at 10:21 PM, Beau Vine said:

Apoquel works amazingly on allergies, but it's expensive as hell.  Of course, it might be a lot cheaper for a chihuahua than for a Newfie.  We were paying $5/day for Apoquel for Zeus, but it kept him from chewing holes in himself, so...

Maggie had terrible skin allergies and would get 'hot spots' all the time, she'd break the skin and everything. i have several recs...

are the spots in a place that can be covered by a doggie-shirt? that worked at times... i'd get a medicated anti-itch spray, wet the spot down then put on her tshirt...helped a lot. likewise, there are several medicated anti-itch shampoos that would help temporarily. she looked pretty cute in her hipster tshirt 🥰

20210809_151527.thumb.jpg.15940505cdd1f5403cb21c453966a9f9.jpg

also...BENADRYL! you can get like 100 generic capsules for like $3 at HEB. Maggie was tiny, i first started giving her half of one without much effect, asked the vet and he basically said give her as much as needed lol, worst it would do is make her sleepy. i mean, she stopped scratching when she slept, so...win! 

Apoquel - as Beau mentioned, it wasn't exactly cheap but def worked the best.  HOWEVER... longterm use can damage kidneys and it had some GI side effects. have to be very careful with dosage. in the end i took her off it even though it worked best, just seemed too harsh on her system.

Cytopoint shot - every 30 days or so, like $45 i think? kinda weird though...it worked for a long time... then stopped working so we quit for a year...then tried it again and voila, it worked again. 

finally...food. in her final six months or so, as her health was declining, i ended up changing up her diet (to prescription food), eliminating a wet food that my mom used to give her and which i had continued bc why not...and after like three months i realized we hadn't had to schedule her Cytopoint shot bc she had just... stopped scratching! i don't actually know if it was causation but there was a definite correlation! (Cesar's fyi)

good luck fixing your little guy's problem! i know how i react to mosquito bites (i'm one that gets the giant welts that itch for an hour, ugh) and i used to feel so bad for her when she'd start in on one of those spots. 

Edited by mchookem