Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Not directly doggie related but I LOVE that room! Is it your porch? The brick is absolutely gorgeous!

It is a sunroom, 3 of the walls are windows that are bricked above/below, one is full brick and the floor is brick. All of the downstairs but the living room and kitchen also have brick floors. It’s a lot different than the current style, but it gets a lot of compliments.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Unfortunately, the pills have stopped being effective.  They were great for about two months, but they stopped working while I was gone.  She is still in high spirits, but is having stomach and pooping issues that aren’t fair to her or me.  It’s tough because she is back to jumping on the bed, wags her tail, loves to go on walks (and hunt for rats), and still eats like a horse.   🥺

Sorry to hear that and all the best. Had a similar issue with my last bully. Had a cancerous mass around her heart that was slowly growing. Once she hit 10 years, it sped up, growing more and beginning to spread. She stopped eating without assistance and had no energy. She went on some pills and was like her old self for about 2 months, but then it stopped working and that was all she wrote. Still tears my heart out to this day.

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So Rini's vet appointment is Sunday at 10:30 AM.  It is no longer fair to her.  I am wrapping up some work now, and then I am going to take her on a walk, and we will spend the evening curled up.  Then tomorrow, I will try and make it as good of a day for her as I can.  

Harvey is going to be really upset.  

I’m so sorry. Good girl Rini❤️

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Confessions of a bad dog owner. I don't like taking Bonnie on long outdoor outings. 

Bonnie is an attention whore with every person she meets. I've tried to not let her greet strangers and ask for pets but it is so embarrassing perpetually pulling at your dog saying no. With her, I have to do it constantly where I look like a total asshole. And she is cute so people want to pet her and tell me it is okay to let her come to them so she will never stop. Fuck me, I've tried to no avail.

We go to the Fourth of July parade and I've got their water and treats in a bag and Tiny Clyde is wearing his visor. We score a great spot by some old people, old man vets sitting under a canopy and one old lady who is sitting in a folding chair off by herself a bit. As I'm putting my stuff down to settle on the curb, Bonnie goes straight to her and starts with her whole Bonnie flirt routine and the nice lady loves it and pets on her. Then some little kids want to pet on her too so she is in Bonnie heaven. It would be nice if she'd just settle down next to the old lady and be content with that but no. She goes over to this old vet guy talking to a buddy, he is sitting with his hand resting on the seat of his chair and she sticks her head under his hand and lifts it off the chair so he can start stroking her. After greeting her, he does so and goes back to talking to his buddy. She stays by him for a bit then it is back to the old lady.

The parade starts and she won't lay down. It is back and forth and over to a kid who has inched up to get closer to the candy they will throw. Meanwhile, Tiny Clyde is standing on my lap and hasn't moved much at all. He is just content to be there and chill. I tried to subtly stand on her leash so she can't reach anyone, but she makes a big show of fighting the leash and tugging her head. She doesn't do that at home but with an audience to get her way, it is a different story.

"Dammit, Bonnie! Stay put!" I want to scream and put a foot on her belly-up body to pin her down but I can't because people would beat me to death for being mean to a sweetheart cute dog. Fuck me. She is 12 and I give up. I would just rather leave her home and hang with TC.  

2022-02-16_12-17-52

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Rini is now playing ball with Abby I'm sure.  She kicked cancer's ass twice, but the third time it just wasn't to be.  We had 12 years, two months and a day together.   

IMG_20220311_164415_703.jpg

20220506_145731.jpg

20220417_084256.jpg

20220324_225338.jpg

20220710_091923.jpg

20220709_164610.jpg

20210728_121620.jpg

20210306_173909.jpg

20210207_150058.jpg

Good doggo Rini-you gave it all you had to give here and now are free to celebrate with your new friends for eternity.  Hugs to you Penelope-whenever I read these posts, I am always reminded about the four times I have had to do the responsible thing for my canine kid, and it gets real dusty right after.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I watched this drama unfold for a couple hours today while rocking the baby. Ziggy's defense held for a couple hours, an unsteady truce was briefly formed, then Mango expertly baited Ziggy away from the bed before claiming it for herself. Who needs TV!

20220711_171404.jpg

20220711_170620.jpg

20220711_171502.jpg

20220711_171608.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

So, I'm not sure if I have posted this but Eli is getting a sister on the 30th.  We'll be picking ZoZo up and driving her back down.  Like Eli, she is a giant schnauzer (our 6th) and the word is that she has a lot more energy than Eli which will be interesting because Eli has a LOT of energy.  It's going to be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Blue is one tough bitch. Had her out front on her leash when one of the free range neighborhood dogs decided to charge up to us. Dog was twice her size. Before I could even react, she had him flipped over on his back, mouth around his throat. I pulled her off and he took of down the street, crying and whimpering.

Blue looks back at me like, "Now where were we?"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hookem2010 said:

I watched this drama unfold for a couple hours today while rocking the baby. Ziggy's defense held for a couple hours, an unsteady truce was briefly formed, then Mango expertly baited Ziggy away from the bed before claiming it for herself. Who needs TV!

20220711_171404.jpg

20220711_170620.jpg

20220711_171502.jpg

20220711_171608.jpg

That is goddamn Shakespearean.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

We’re in the death spiral yet again with our dog. Today will be telling.

My wife is a natural dog person. She relates to them better than people. She can have the meanest dog on his back getting a belly rub in five minutes.

We’ve been blessed mostly with long living dogs, as we go for terriers. We rescued a cairn mix from the FW pound and had her 17 years. Wife said no more. She lost so many growing up in the country. Our son then deployed and we kept his Jack Russell. He latched on to the wife and never went home, had him 12 years before we lost him at 17. Best dog ever lived. Wife: “no more. Hurts too much.”

Our DiL’s father called my wife after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer to keep while in treatment. Wife tried not to bond with these two rat terriers but he died and we got the dogs. I spent a bundle fixing teeth, shots, meds, tags as they were 12 and 11 and I doubt ever been to a vet. They were bonded and had to sleep touching each other. The oldest died in December at 17. We worried the younger would freak but he figured out being an only child was cool. He’s been a happy dog since and wife lives the shot out of him.

In March we found out his kidneys and liver were declining; his weight going up as his diet reduced. Some drugs, some new food, numbers fluctuating. Last week was a disaster; terrible kidney numbers. Our vet is an old school big animal vet; he basically said nothing to do but wait. Wife doesn’t like that. Losing two in less than a year will wreck her. Today we’re taking him to a new vet to get a second opinion this afternoon. The dog is almost 17 so we know it’s coming fast, but he’s not suffering right now. I just hate this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Second opinion is always worthwhile. Good luck with it. The struggle is always the slow decline, when you know what’s coming but not necessarily when. It’s stressful and worrisome. My FIL is putting down his 11yo yellow lab today up in Sequim. She’s a sweetheart, and it’s going to be a tough day for him, and us to some degree.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Posted it here before, but Bevo won a $25 gift card for this photo from a contest put on by our kids orthodontist. We’re making him split it with Maverick for toys and treats. b7dbd4fd73f4a673d310fde2eb8eaa56.png

So many caption possibilities here:  "GOING TO THE VET???? I'll just hide here, they'll never find me!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had a dumb orange tabby (possibly redundant, never knew an orange tabby that wasn't somewhere on the dumb scale). Anyways, whenever he got into trouble I could find him because he'd be hiding under the bed. Well, he'd have his head under the bed with his body sticking out.

• Haha 1

Another trip to Port A with the pooch. It was a bit hot for her, but that encouraged her to go deeper in the water than she ever had. All the way up to her belly. Wish I had a pic of the look of relief on her face as she took each step.

Took her to shortys where she pretty much owned the bar out right. All the other dogs there yielded to her as she explored every corner and pissed around the perimeter making it hers.

IMG_20220709_141310.jpg

IMG_20220708_162611.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Another trip to Port A with the pooch. It was a bit hot for her, but that encouraged her to go deeper in the water than she ever had. All the way up to her belly. Wish I had a pic of the look of relief on her face as she took each step.

Took her to shortys where she pretty much owned the bar out right. All the other dogs there yielded to her as she explored every corner and pissed around the perimeter making it hers.

IMG_20220709_141310.jpg

IMG_20220708_162611.jpg

Having grown up in Corpus and lived there until 1974, Port A is near and dear to my heart, and kudos for taking her to Shorty's.  Looks like heaven in these pictures and bring back many fond memories.

• Hook 'Em 1