Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

6 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

you realize Marley gonna be at least 80 Lbs right-  she may very well push 90

Hopefully not.   Mom is about 50 pounds and Dad is under 50.   Mom is 50% Bernie and 50% standard Poodle.  Dad is 50% Bernie and  50% miniature Poodle.  She's 15 pounds right now.  

18 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Hopefully not.   Mom is about 50 pounds and Dad is under 50.   Mom is 50% Bernie and 50% standard Poodle.  Dad is 50% Bernie and  50% miniature Poodle.  She's 15 pounds right now.  

Our guy is about 85-90. But his mom is a Bernie and his dad is a gigantic standard poodle.

9E723C1F-620E-4AB4-BEAC-A1833EBCAA17.jpeg

8DD72EBB-4742-4747-B17F-9186001A0970.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

Informal poll: where does your dog(s) sleep?

Coming up on his 3rd birthday (and about two and a half years with us) Samson no longer likes his crate. Like, at all. He used to kennel up really easily and sleep like a champ, and now he doesn’t want to go in there at all and if we force the issue he howls for 20 minutes, sometimes much longer. I treasure my sleep.

For the last couple nights I’ve let him sleep on the couch in the den (don’t tell mom), but tonight he’s whimpering at our door. Letting him sleep in our room is going to be a very tough sell on the wife, who did not grow up with dogs.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Coming up on his 3rd birthday (and about two and a half years with us) Samson no longer likes his crate. Like, at all. He used to kennel up really easily and sleep like a champ, and now he doesn’t want to go in there at all and if we force the issue he howls for 20 minutes, sometimes much longer. I treasure my sleep.

For the last couple nights I’ve let him sleep on the couch in the den (don’t tell mom), but tonight he’s whimpering at our door. Letting him sleep in our room is going to be a very tough sell on the wife, who did not grow up with dogs.

Congrats on your new bedmate.

• Haha 1

They sleep where they want, just not in our bed.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Head on the pillow like a person.

20220424_010817.jpg

20211020_080018.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

When we had 3, they all slept in separate crates in the kitchen.  When we had to put King down (R.I.P.), the other two slept in bed with us that night and haven't slept in a crate since then.  Currently, Gracie (Schnoodle) sleeps with the wife and I while Maeby (Golden Doodle/Lab) sleeps with our older son.  Sometimes, they both sleep with us, and sometimes, Gracie sleeps with our younger son.  It just depends.  But the dogs sleep with the humans in some way, shape, or form now.

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Dogs are pack animals, and you and your wife are his pack.  He probably just wants to sleep with his pack.  Would your wife be amenable to moving the crate into your bedroom?  Of course, if you tried this, Samson would likely be on the bed before the night was over, so it may be a hard sell.

22 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

when I first got her, i tried keeping Sadie in the living room overnight and me in my bedroom with the door closed.

She sat outside my door and howled for 3 straight hours at my bedroom door. before I finally caved and let her in to sleep on the floor. 

at some point in the first night she manged to get up on the bed and I awoke to a bed partner.   kinda been that way ever since...

I adopted Chloe as a pup 4 years ago and she now takes up whatever part of the bed she wants. 

52280164430_e19ec254de_z.jpg 

I do have to admit, when she wants to, she looks very cute but I have to physically lift her ass outta my side of the bed and put her back on the shed blankets. 

52279700643_a246097246_z.jpg 

and she will occasionally bring other companions into the bed....

52279683806_097e466fd8_z.jpg 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

when I first got her, i tried keeping Sadie in the living room overnight and me in my bedroom with the door closed.

She sat outside my door and howled for 3 straight hours at my bedroom door. before I finally caved and let her in to sleep on the floor. 

at some point in the first night she manged to get up on the bed and I awoke to a bed partner.   kinda been that way ever since...

I adopted Chloe as a pup 4 years ago and she now takes up whatever part of the bed she wants. 

52280164430_e19ec254de_z.jpg 

I do have to admit, when she wants to, she looks very cute but I have to physically lift her ass outta my side of the bed and put her back on the shed blankets. 

52279700643_a246097246_z.jpg 

and she will occasionally bring other companions into the bed....

52279683806_097e466fd8_z.jpg 

If you are like us, you are the moon the dogs are the planet. 

They are pack animals. Be honored that they want to sleep with you. 

Blue is ridiculous. She's up all night doing whatever the hell she does while I'm asleep. As soon as my alarm goes off in the morning, she hops in bed and curls up against me. "Don't you dare fucking leave!"

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Dumb question amnesty please... My gf is getting serious about getting a dog. I said we should foster for a few months. Any foster options in Frisco or Denton? Her sister does fostering and loves it so I am just hoping this narrows the dog type we get from the pound

Edited by Zepol87

The older dog sleeps in his bed beside our bed, the puppy sleeps in a crate in the kitchen. My one rule when we got dogs was no dogs on the bed. The older dog waits until I get up in the morning and jumps on the bed to sleep with my wife. She’s already making comments about letting the puppy sleep where he wants so we’ll see how long the crate lasts.

Tiny Clyde has a bed with sides and he sleeps in that on the bed in the upper middle. 

Bonnie starts out on the other pillow on the other side of TC's bed but she usually moves to the foot of the bed at some point. She takes up center to other side of the bed. Once, I got in the center and she moved around on her side more than usual. When I moved back to my side she settled down and went to sleep, so I guess she figures I was encroaching on her part of the bed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:41 PM, Buzzrock said:

Dog 1 has slept with us pretty much from Day 1.  We tried to have him sleep in a kennel, and he whined, cried, and shit all over the place.  My wife caved, let him in our bed, and have never gone back.  He sleeps all night and loves to just snuggle up with people.  He's also 12 lbs.  Sleeping in our bed has absolutely been a huge part of our bond and I legitimately look forward to it.

Dog 2 (20 lbs) has gone back and forth between kennel and bed.  He had a phase where he would absolutely flip shit and be aggressive when he was woken up.  That was a problem because sometimes he'd be aggressive to Dog 1, and because due to my work schedule, 30% of the time I get home super late at night and he'd get all wound up with me.  He would also get up in the middle of night and piss on the floor.

This prompted us to go back to the kennel for quite awhile.  He's very comfortable in there, and if he has to piss, he'll whine and wake us up.  A couple weeks ago, we started letting him sleep back in our bed (because we both enjoy dog 1 sleeping there so much) and it's gone really well.  No aggression, no accidents.

Stopped by the vet's office today to pick up heartworm meds for the dogs. They had a dog behind the desk who was eyeing me up. The woman behind the counter got up to grab the meds and the dog leapt up on the chair, then up over the counter, almost into my arms..

"Sorry, she never does that."

"It's ok. They all know a sucker when they see one."

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1