Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

I dropped Sebastian off at boarding school today.  Three weeks of board and train.  It's not cheap, but hopefully worth it.  He seemed to like the place so I hope he remembers me after three weeks.

With my daughter in Galveston with her mom and Sebastian at school the only one who gave a shit when I got home was the chihuahua.  Kind of sucks

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, mchookem said:

well, we are all settled/moved into our new home...and i'm ready for a new dog. i lost Maggie in April, this is the longest we've gone without a dog in 25 years...

guys, i really really want a miniature dachshund of my own, and i'm not sure what to do about it. cost is not the issue.

we had four rescues, big dogs, prior to her, and i loved them all, each was the best dog in their own way. 

but my mom had two miniatures, Greta when i was in high school, then Maggie later on...and i absolutely adored them both. such great personalities, smart, lovable...i mean our other dogs were too...but there's a special place in my heart for the little doxies! 

we don't have a full yard, just a small fenced patio (it does have grass), so i feel like a small dog is the way to go. but there is a giant park across the street, so technically that wouldn't be a huge issue. 

i dunno...i mean it's going to be a 'fight' of sorts b/c my husband hates 'little dogs' and keeps saying we need to just rescue another...and i have no issue with rescues, like i said we had four and they were outstanding...but i've just been thinking/wishing/wanting a little doxie of my own since i took in Maggie. and i keep thinking 'well, those dogs need homes too!'

i dunno...somebody talk me into or out of this, b/c i'm gonna have to fight for it.

20210505_145308.jpg

20210617_223734.jpg

I used to hate on little dogs too, until we got our JRT. Love that motherfucker more than anything, and he has the personality of a GSD. Very protective of the kids, very loyal, very smart, and probably thinks he weighs 100 lbs. Our next door neighbor has a doberman that is scared of him. 

Not sure if this helps - but just throwing that out there if you wanna wean your man off of the anti-little dog thing. 

Our JRT was the best dog ever. Smarter than most third graders. Would have taken on a fucking TRex if it eyeballed him wrong. Constantly playing games and basically managing us. When they lock on something and the ears go back they are totally focused. Supposedly the males are more submissive than females. You must commit to daily exercise and constant attention; they go from can to caint with no in between. Had him 17 years and he was healthy and then basically collapsed in one day. Still miss him after eight years.

I think terriers are the only way to go as they are so smart and full of personality, and won’t eat you out of the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/18/2022 at 9:58 PM, NorthLoop said:

I used to hate on little dogs too, until we got our JRT. Love that motherfucker more than anything, and he has the personality of a GSD. Very protective of the kids, very loyal, very smart, and probably thinks he weighs 100 lbs. Our next door neighbor has a doberman that is scared of him. 

Not sure if this helps - but just throwing that out there if you wanna wean your man off of the anti-little dog thing. 

Speaking of which, Biscuit turned 5 yesterday. He didn't give a fuck. 

biscuit bday.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

The little guy is getting neutered next month. Any tips or certain things to prep for? 

In my experience, nah. Hasn't fazed any of mine. The last one was our current rescue. He had been a stud (if you can say that about a pug, LMFAO) and was 7 years old when we got him. Never missed them.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

If anyone can spare some thoughts for Pepper,  I sure would appreciate it.  She started getting picky about eating her food last week and then starting on Saturday she got really lethargic.  Took her to the vet yesterday morning and her liver tests are all over the place.  Ended up taking her to the ER vet last night around 3 as she didn't eat any dinner (which was boiled chicken and rice, not kibble) and had an accident in the house, which hasn't happened in years.  They are hydrating her and doing a CT scan today, so we should know more after that.  She's only 4 and is such a great dog.  Losing her so young would kill me.

20201219_145942.jpg

20190710_190928.jpg

Get well Pepper. We all got your back! 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If anyone can spare some thoughts for Pepper,  I sure would appreciate it.  She started getting picky about eating her food last week and then starting on Saturday she got really lethargic.  Took her to the vet yesterday morning and her liver tests are all over the place.  Ended up taking her to the ER vet last night around 3 as she didn't eat any dinner (which was boiled chicken and rice, not kibble) and had an accident in the house, which hasn't happened in years.  They are hydrating her and doing a CT scan today, so we should know more after that.  She's only 4 and is such a great dog.  Losing her so young would kill me.

20201219_145942.jpg

20190710_190928.jpg

If it's a shunt, PM me. I, unfortunately, know just about everything there is to know. I will happily answer any questions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sorry to bring the mood of the thread down, but we lost Jacaré today.  He had just turned 14 (to our knowledge).  This is really tough.  My wife and I adopted him from a a Boxer rescue in January 2011 when he was just over 2 years old.  14 is a really good run for a Boxer, but it still hurts.  He had an amazing temperament and personality. He will be greatly missed.  Goodbye friend...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I’ve buried three Boxers. My handle is the name of my first Boxer. I’m on my fourth one now. Best breed I’ve ever owned. Very sorry to hear about your loss. 

Edited by Chili dog
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, Pepper is home but we don't know how bad the news is yet.  CT scan showed her liver is smaller than it should be, indicating potential liver damage.  Also, 2 lymph nodes were swollen so they took aspirate from the liver and lymph nodes.  Should have those results today.  Depending on those results, we might need to do a liver biopsy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Also sorry to bring down the thread mood but I wanted to remember my buddy somewhere. 

6 weeks past 15 years ago to the day yesterday, we got a little puppy that we named Gizmo, in the hopes that my teen daughter would bond with him while caring for him when she visited, and also because my girlfriend, now wife, naively believed that he would give her some understanding of what it was like to deal with kids. He was a yorkie pom and beautiful and sweet and a good boy.

He died in my arms late last night at the emergency vet of congestive heart failure. I came home yesterday afternoon and he just wasn't right, after being himself for basically every day of his life. We thought he'd live forever because he was so happy and spry up to 15 years probably to the day from when he was born. RIP my little guy, you will be sorely missed. You had a terrific life and gave more than you took from it for our family.

I posted about 6 months ago on here about his equally old sister who was struggling with major back issues. She's somehow rallied, but this morning was shaking and confused when I left for work. Hoping for her to keep rallying. 

E72972A7-1EB1-48DA-8473-641A5406BF33.jpeg

ADA46013-5A57-46DE-8420-C0C443434EF8.jpeg

9002CE71-2D27-4D82-8DB0-5E523F1C27CC.jpeg

Hook em Gizmo.

• Hook 'Em 2