Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

Need some guidance here. My wife and I have a German Shephard who tuned 1 in December. He had his "no puppies" procedure today and the vet sent him home with the cone of shame. Problem is he is a big dude and him trying to move around the house with the cone on is like trying to have a mobile satellite dish in our living room. I have heard about an inflatable donut that can be used in place of this giant cone.

Does anybody have any experience with or opinions on the inflatable option? 

On 12/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, blacklab said:

Watched some doc on Netflix that had an episode on dogs and they talked about the evolution of dogs and how they have perfected the "I'm so hungry give me food" face and this pic is such a great example of that.

Domesticated canines have developed additional facial muscles that allow them mimic human facial expressions 

36 minutes ago, Hornstrader said:

Need some guidance here. My wife and I have a German Shephard who tuned 1 in December. He had his "no puppies" procedure today and the vet sent him home with the cone of shame. Problem is he is a big dude and him trying to move around the house with the cone on is like trying to have a mobile satellite dish in our living room. I have heard about an inflatable donut that can be used in place of this giant cone.

Love the inflatable donut.  Rini used it for similar reasons (Cone just too big..hard to move in).  She was pretty good in it.  And when she fell asleep, it was a natural pillow, and she would sleep really deeply.  I highly recommend them.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Will the donut work on large 100lb dogs with a long body?  Feels like i would need an inner tube to keep them from reaching the stitches. 

It really just needs to be big enough to block under his chin so he can't chew at the spot. They make them in various sizes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Love the inflatable donut.  Rini used it for similar reasons (Cone just too big..hard to move in).  She was pretty good in it.  And when she fell asleep, it was a natural pillow, and she would sleep really deeply.  I highly recommend them.

Yea that was the best part for Benson. It would allow him to fit in his kennel at night and was his pillow. He didn't hate it as much after a day or 2

On 1/5/2023 at 9:28 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Will the donut work on large 100lb dogs with a long body?  Feels like i would need an inner tube to keep them from reaching the stitches. 

It does not work on my 100-lb, long-bodied dog, but I don't know if he's outside the norm. He figured out pretty quickly that he just needed to puncture the tube and get it to deflate in order to get to his stitches. E-collar is the only thing that works for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:11 PM, Hornstrader said:

Yeah, we have a small house and when our 100-lb lab mix has a cone it's rough - we have to keep all breakable stuff off the coffee table, end tables, etc in the common areas because they're all at risk between his cone and his giant wagging tail. See my above comment re: the inflatable collar.

I get out to a beach I have enjoyed visiting my first week here called Papara and one I want to attempt to surf. Thursday I get out there and there is around five or six dogs that are just kinda wandering around again and the big boy comes up to me to get his belly rubbed and ears scratched. His buddy tries to paw at me to get petted as well so I gave them both some attention before failing miserably in the water. Seeing these dogs out there though make going to this beach awesome no matter how comical my attempts at using a shortboard are.

82F26B29-5417-4B94-BF9B-B3B2FAE6BDCB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Stupid allergies acting up today....

Found out today why maintenance wont come fix anything when im gone.

They came by to swap out my microwave and as soon as I opened the door and luna saw them she made a growl that made the hair on my neck stand up. 

Thier eyes went wide then one asked if I'd mind putting her up. Which I did of course. The whole time she's barking and snarling from my bedroom. So I hung out with her until they were done.

I've never seen her act that way towards humans before. Other than when crack heads approach us on walks.

Funny, when I let her out she went straight to her food bowl.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Stupid allergies acting up today....

Found out today why maintenance wont come fix anything when im gone.

They came by to swap out my microwave and as soon as I opened the door and luna saw them she made a growl that made the hair on my neck stand up. 

Thier eyes went wide then one asked if I'd mind putting her up. Which I did of course. The whole time she's barking and snarling from my bedroom. So I hung out with her until they were done.

I've never seen her act that way towards humans before. Other than when crack heads approach us on walks.

Funny, when I let her out she went straight to her food bowl.

Maybe it’s a home turf thing? Condolences to any poor dumb son of a bitch who tries to rob you. Or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, OrangEngr said:

Maybe it’s a home turf thing? Condolences to any poor dumb son of a bitch who tries to rob you. Or not.

Thats gotta be it. I take her everywhere with me where dogs are allowed. She loves meeting new people and getting pets. She's even met a few surlies in the wild.

Here she is guarding the Capitol from a squirrel insurrection 

20230114_110442.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I drive down to see a legendary surf spot, but since you need to get a boat to see it up close I just hung out on the beach for awhile and decided I will come back and do the boat trip another time. This dog decided my rental car was a great place to get some shade.I do not blame him!

The other dog was chillin on top of the car where his best friend was waiting on his dinner. I have seen some funny things here with dogs. Seeing a dog on the roof of the car made me smile and laugh.

6B729877-85D3-488F-B263-F661A8336F07.jpeg

6026882C-D549-4990-BD33-8C31D4F7CB6A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

@Baboontyme sorry to hear about what happened. RIP Louise, she looks like a sweet dog.

Phenobarbital is the devil as a medication for seizures.  We finally got chocolate off it completely and switched to Keppra which has resulted in going back to normal weight, fewer seizures (one grand Mal during the weaning), and a much happier dog.  Phenobarbital has the added bonus of harming liver and kidney and the central nervous system. Our new vet said she won’t prescribe it unless nothing else will work.  Keppra is tough because the animal needs three doses a day but it’s amazing to see the difference.

Edited by Hefeweizen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

@Baboontyme sorry to hear about what happened. RIP Louise, she looks like a sweet dog.

Phenobarbital is the devil as a medication for seizures.  We finally got chocolate off it completely and switched to Keppra which has resulted in going back to normal weight, fewer seizures (one grand Mal during the weaning), and a much happier dog.  Phenobarbital has the added bonus of harming liver and kidney and the central nervous system. Our new vet said she won’t prescribe it unless nothing else will work.  Keppra is tough because the animal needs three doses a day but it’s amazing to see the difference.

I do believe she was on something else. My malamute started having seizures at 6 or 7 years old, ultimately deemed to be a brain tumor. This was about 20 years ago. They put her on phb and it was brutal on her liver. She turned into a zombie dog. She was a big dog (> 100 lbs) but not as big as Weezy. I guess pheno is the initial go to still. I had to help get Louise to the vet a few months back during one of her episodes as her Dad was out of town (he actually works for the Pistons, so sad that he is in Paris for what should be a cool experience and has to say goodbye over the phone to Louise in the middle of the night). Let me tell you it is not easy to carry a 160 lb St Bernard from inside of her house to the back of a vehicle in the driveway, but I digress. That was the first time they put her on pheno. She seemed to adjust ok after a few weeks, probably due to her size. Her parents told me a few months after that the pheno wasn't really working so the vet had her on something else, and had also given them some shots to administer at home in the case of another cluster. Very sad stuff, I'm still broken up about it. I kind of hope they get another pooch soon, for their sake. Not to forget about Louise, but to have something new to channel their energy and love into. It helps, for sure. I feel selfish being this sad about it when she isn't even mine. I can't begin to imagine how heartbroken my friends and their kids are. Way, way too young. What a loveable dope. I will miss her so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 6:41 AM, Hefeweizen said:

Keppra worked wonders when Blue was having shunt related seizures before her corrective surgery.