Time for another ‘my dog is awesome’ thread

Patricio Swayze

I am going to be leaving the country for several months, maybe up to a year, and I I’m in a bind with my dog. Had originally planned on just finding him a new home but after letting that roll around in my head for a few weeks decided it wasn’t an option.  I can’t take him with me, though.  Does anyone know any good options for what to do here?  Will people foster your dog for that long and just give him back to you?  I have friends who have said they’d keep him “for a few weeks” but nobody seems too keen on keeping him for close to a year.  My sister would take him but she has two dogs already and a newborn.  She has said she would but I can tell she doesn’t want to and I understand.  Any ideas, surly?

ACFCCF27-4D64-45E2-A89E-F10A2415B0AC.jpeg

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

I am going to be leaving the country for several months, maybe up to a year, and I I’m in a bind with my dog. Had originally planned on just finding him a new home but after letting that roll around in my head for a few weeks decided it wasn’t an option.  I can’t take him with me, though.  Does anyone know any good options for what to do here?  Will people foster your dog for that long and just give him back to you?  I have friends who have said they’d keep him “for a few weeks” but nobody seems too keen on keeping him for close to a year.  My sister would take him but she has two dogs already and a newborn.  She has said she would but I can tell she doesn’t want to and I understand.  Any ideas, surly?

I think best thing would be a friend or family that is thinking about adopting a dog and try to sell them on it. They could learn more about dog ownership with an already trained and house broken pup.

Another idea is someone with a young puppy. Can help their pup learn good behavior.

Thats all I got but I hope you are able to find a solution. Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, futureman said:

If Bailey wasn't sick I would give him a good home.  No way you would get that handsome fella back though.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:26 PM, futureman said:

Are you in Austin? I might be willing to handle him. Is he good with other dogs? I have a revolving door here. At least one dog here all the time aside from my two. Pay for food and leave your credit card on file with your vet, and a minimal something for my troubles. I can give you a list of recommendations a mile long. PM me. 

Edited by Deej
Him, not her
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Has anybody ever put booties on their dog?  It’s so fucking hot here the asphalt and sidewalks are almost too hot to walk her on.  The asphalt is for sure.  I don’t want to be “that guy” who does that, but I did see them on a neighbor’s dog and it made sense.  Maya needs to be walked every day or she bounces of the wall.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Has anybody ever put booties on their dog?  It’s so fucking hot here the asphalt and sidewalks are almost too hot to walk her on.  The asphalt is for sure.  I don’t want to be “that guy” who does that, but I did see them on a neighbor’s dog and it made sense.  Maya needs to be walked every day or she bounces of the wall.

Get up early.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Has anybody ever put booties on their dog?

My dogs would kill me in my sleep if I tried to put anything other than a collar and leash on them. Thankfully, the yard is big enough for them to wear themselves out. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Get up early.

Yep.  Down here at 2995 I've been getting up at 0545 just to beat the sun and heat.  Too damn hot at or after about 0715 when the sun starts blazing.  Then we play 'p1ss in the shade' until about 1930. 

Don't know about the booties, though.

Edited by TOR

19 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

its always sunny in philadelphia cat GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

this company makes good stuff

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-boots

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, Sbbruin said:

My sister's lab's feet kept getting bruises from running on their gravel roads, cracks me the fuck up to see her try to run. But I am the only one shaming her - they live 10+ miles from the nearest neighbor. 

My dog on the other hand isn't a pussy. 

Edited by Fico
Video
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, Brew said:

Slowly the two mutts are starting to play together a little bit. The older one just hasn’t taken that kindly to having a puppy nipping at his heels.

5F6CB1DC-9DE5-4FB4-943A-9BBD70832285.thumb.jpeg.3f10de632c2c8aee5e6ac54c1b66e29b.jpeg

"Damn it! Stop trying to NowThis me with that fucking toy!"

7 hours ago, Fico said:

My sister's lab's feet kept getting bruises from running on their gravel roads, cracks me the fuck up to see her try to run. But I am the only one shaming her - they live 10+ miles from the nearest neighbor. 

My dog on the other hand isn't a pussy. 

If they would breed a basset hound that didn't bark just for the hell of it, I'd have several. As it is my half-basset damn near drives me insane with that shit. 

• Haha 1

Water bowl empty?

Thinks it's time to eat?

Thinks it time for me to get up?

Just sitting in the middle of the yard with nothing better to do?

Penny is half heeler, so I have the misfortune of her bark being higher pitched that that guy's bark. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Anybody had any luck managing thunder/firework anxiety?  It's gotten worse every year for my 9 year old golden.  Have tried the thunder jacket, CBD treats, Benadryl, etc. to no avail.  

Take the dog out camping in the middle of nowhere.

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

Anybody had any luck managing thunder/firework anxiety?  It's gotten worse every year for my 9 year old golden.  Have tried the thunder jacket, CBD treats, Benadryl, etc. to no avail.  

Doggy xanax. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/26/2022 at 7:16 PM, Sbbruin said:

Yeah but only when hunting the bay.  Oysters are hell on them.  And it takes some getting used to.  Anywhere convenient that’s more grass than cement for the next few months?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Benadryl when I don’t have any

We used to have an older rescue, whose heartrate would skyrocket when we got him groomed.  We used to give him the veterinary xanax for those occasions.  Last year, we were at some friends' property for fireworks and my Golden Labradoodle started freaking out when we got a little close to the action.  So we took her and her reunited litter mates inside and the host gave them all doggy xans.  This is them about 30 minutes later.

pups.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Sbbruin said:

We do mushers paw. It seems to help

People who leave their dogs out in this heat are assholes. Had to wrangle up some losses dogs in the neighborhood because their owners left them outside with no water. Another neighbor and I kept refilling bowls of water, bowls Wich my neighbor brought from her house. These idiots also left their garage door open all day, after a couple hours I went back and checked on the dogs, still there, doing alright. I went to the open garage and there was a five gallon bucket filled with screws, I dump the screws on their garage floor and filled it with water. About that time one of the roommates comes home, I had some words for him, he blamed his roommates.

Remember this, no matter how bad you treat your dog, they will always love you. Think about that. These dogs are outside in this shit all day with little to no water, highly doubt any food and they were happy to see this jackass. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

Unfortunately, the pills have stopped being effective.  They were great for about two months, but they stopped working while I was gone.  She is still in high spirits, but is having stomach and pooping issues that aren’t fair to her or me.  It’s tough because she is back to jumping on the bed, wags her tail, loves to go on walks (and hunt for rats), and still eats like a horse.   🥺

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Like 2