The Grand Tour

elfenix

Thoroughly enjoyed it. French cars are true pieces of shit, including the two I owned but couldn’t get enough of .

Wife had one of these. POS. Who the fuck would buy a French Rambler?

“The debut of the AMC-Renault Alliance (essentially a Kenosha-ized Renault 9) in 1983 so impressed the writers at Motor Trend that they gave it the Car Of The Year award that year. 17 minutes later, everyone realized that the Alliance combined the very worst aspects of French build quality and Wisconsin marketing savvy, with predictable sales results. Still, enough Alliances limped out of the showrooms that we can still see them in junkyards every so often. Here’s one I spotted in a Denver self-service yard a few weeks back; looks like it was still in pretty good shape when its last owner finally gave up”
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:23 PM, Dutch said:

Do yourself a favor and move it to the top. Legit lulz throughout.

I really do miss OG Top Gear and The Grand Tour's full seasons; their current "specials" are too infrequent.

It was fucking brilliant.  The race where the workers went on strike was very, very fucking funny.

I do like the Citroen SM.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 8 months later...

As a big fan of Rally Cars I loved it. I bought one of the first WRX Imprezas in the US when they finally brought them over. Thrashed the hell out of it from Moab to Cheyenne Mountain to Fort Davis, Big Bend and deserted winter beaches around Port A. Often with two dogs in the back, two bikes on top and an apprehensive spouse riding shotgun.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Mittens said:

Finally got a chance to watch it last night and dare I say 

giphy.gif

Recency bias and whatnot, but have to put that episode up there w/ the greats, no?  It's an all-timer, imo.

Of the Grand Tour, yes, it's one of the better ones.  If we are including all Top Gear specials, there are several I would rank higher. 

I don't distinguish between the actual shows.  I'm sure there are better episodes (I'm partial to Patagonia and both Vietnams - motorcycle and boat), but that one is right up there w/ the best of them for me.  I'd bet someone will start naming great episodes and I'll agree w/ most all of them.

21 hours ago, Mittens said:

I don't distinguish between the actual shows.  I'm sure there are better episodes (I'm partial to Patagonia and both Vietnams - motorcycle and boat), but that one is right up there w/ the best of them for me.  I'd bet someone will start naming great episodes and I'll agree w/ most all of them.

To each his own, of course.  Vietnam on the bikes is great.  The trek across the southern US from Miami to New Orleans is epic.  Arctic (North Pole) Adventure is great too.  I'd include the Aston Martin v. the Train or the Bugatti vs. the Plane too.   Botswana special is fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, Buzzrock said:

The airplane car killed me. Hammond’s French accent had me rolling too. “One of a number of things has inevitably happened, now you must STOP!”

I’ve probably mentioned it before but my neighbor had a successful car YouTube channel and he and two other car YouTubers have a series that is an homage to Top Gear. Pretty entertaining for a bunch of amateurs.

I’m sure he’d appreciate you checking it out.

Been watching this series and their production value has increased dramatically.  They do a better job than US TG at carrying on the old tg legacy.

Christmas special is their latest.

Edited by SDG
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 2:33 PM, Mittens said:

That’s an excellent list so I wouldn’t kick any of those out but add a few of my faves to it.  1 Columbia, 2 west coast (lfa, viper, & am), 3 source of the Nile, 4 Nevada caravan trip, & 5 charnobyl.   

if motor trend/Amazon didn’t remove the legacy TG episodes I’d write a top 10 after my annual rewatch…  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Clarkson's Farm is great, and I enjoy James May's cooking show.  But not so much "our man in ____" I just couldn't get into those.

Gonna miss TG/GT for sure.

I love May's old TV shows - Toy Stories, Man Lab, Things you Need to Know, Cars of the People

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...