Best nice restaurant in Wimberley, TX

tantric superman

Leaning Pear is always solid.  

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, head to Tillie's at Camp Lucy in Dripping Springs.  Awesome venue and unique food.  Service is still working out the kinks, but is getting better every time we go there. 

Two years ago, I would've said Jobell Cafe & Bistro on RR12 just north of town.  We loved that place.  Not sure if it was new ownership, change in management or what, but we went a few months ago and it was literally one of the worst all-around dining experiences I've ever had.  Flippant service, cold food, shitty music.  I felt like we were eating re-heated Sysco at a shitty Chili's.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Leaning Pear is always solid.  

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, head to Tillie's at Camp Lucy in Dripping Springs.  Awesome venue and unique food.  Service is still working out the kinks, but is getting better every time we go there. 

Two years ago, I would've said Jobell Cafe & Bistro on RR12 just north of town.  We loved that place.  Not sure if it was new ownership, change in management or what, but we went a few months ago and it was literally one of the worst all-around dining experiences I've ever had.  Flippant service, cold food, shitty music.  I felt like we were eating re-heated Sysco at a shitty Chili's.  

Wow.  I went to Jobell this weekend and had a wonderful experience.  I have been there on an off night, but never experienced something like you described.  I believe you.  I'm just surprised.  The owner is the same.

This may not fit what you're looking for, but Community is a favorite.  I've also heard good things about Blair House.

https://communitybeergarden.com/

5 hours ago, tigol said:

Wow.  I went to Jobell this weekend and had a wonderful experience.  I have been there on an off night, but never experienced something like you described.  I believe you.  I'm just surprised.  The owner is the same.

This may not fit what you're looking for, but Community is a favorite.  I've also heard good things about Blair House.

https://communitybeergarden.com/

Community probably doesn't have enough "interesting protein takes."  Service also frequently sucks.  I think Blair House is probably what he's looking for.

10 hours ago, tigol said:

Interesting.  I guess we need to give it another shot.  The experience that time was literally so bad, it seemed to be indicative of a fundamental shift.  I guess I shouldn't have been so judgmental.  

14 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I don't want barbeque or local comfort food.  Want a good wine list a few interesting protein takes and some interesting veggies.

Based on the updated feedback from @tigol and your comment, Jobell may be worth a shot.  As would Tillie's.  I'd suggest a reservation at either of those if you choose that route.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On February 9, 2019 at 11:22 PM, tantric superman said:

Tillie's was top notch.  Thanks for the rec.  About 30 minutes form Wimberley proper and in Dripping Springs. 

Service was great - felt like no kinks at all.   

That's good to hear.  They seem to be hitting their stride.  Glad you enjoyed it.  

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 11:22 PM, tantric superman said:

Tillie's was top notch.  Thanks for the rec.  About 30 minutes form Wimberley proper and in Dripping Springs. 

Service was great - felt like no kinks at all.   

Went to Valentines dinner there. It was fucking amazing and the service was top notch as well.

ULx9pWo29a6jpV_51bip3jCFj6fCaHJKosOidOor

7tp9RJwutpnZvcBPRmlJ8YCE44eKU_TKRwgdYhjUZk7_ugxJL_ADjb02PNyoofR8P90GGqJOF7coN8Vw

a7QbeJGXeC_7P9FDOsFUfmqHeTH7GX1N9CetSObz

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fluff said:

I asked someone not too long ago that lived there what the best restaurant in Wimberley was, he said everybody drives to the Hays City Store/Cafe, which doesn’t surprise me. Not really Wimberley but close enough I guess.

Hays City Store is one of our favorites for sure.  Just not really "fine dining".  Travis and Tamara took a gamble on that place.  They have worked their asses off and they are killing it.  Could not be happier for them.  If you haven't made the drive out there, I'd highly recommend doing so on a nice spring evening.  Awesome burgers.  Great CFS.  Good daily specials.  And ice cold beer.

Don't know the HCS owners but have a mutual friend who is in real estate and mentioned they were  considering or may have bought the tract of land behind them. Will be interesting to see what they do with that if true. After they expanded to put the bar and outdoor area in I don't think I've been back in the original building. Good selection of beers and consistent food/service every time we've been.  Nice days can be crowded but hey, grab a drink and chill , people watch and such.

3 hours ago, Mr.Hovis said:

Don't know the HCS owners but have a mutual friend who is in real estate and mentioned they were  considering or may have bought the tract of land behind them. Will be interesting to see what they do with that if true. After they expanded to put the bar and outdoor area in I don't think I've been back in the original building. Good selection of beers and consistent food/service every time we've been.  Nice days can be crowded but hey, grab a drink and chill , people watch and such.

We lived across the street from Travis and Tamara a few years ago when they went through the process of buying the old convenience store from the previous owners (other friends of ours as well).  I don't think they ever thought it would blow up like it has.  I can't tell you how happy I am for them.  Like I said above, just truly good people that really work their asses off.  I know they were talking about trying to buy the property you mentioned, so I really hope they were able to pull it off.  That place could become even more of a mecca for daytrippers, motorcyclists and the like with more room to spread out and better parking.  

So was it determined that Leaning Pear is the best/most reliable nice restaurant in Winberley proper then? I need closure , and not to thread jack but  would like to hear more recs for far SW Austin along Hwy.290 west to Dripping Springs and surrounding area. I'm hoping for a good beer/food  venue to take over that big ass Trudy's that shut down.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
59 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Anybody know the best place to watch the game this weekend in the area? Going to be in town for a wedding.

Hays City Store

Hildees

Milddleton

All 3 are not sports bars.  Plenty of TV's, but you may have to request a channel change.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, tigol said:

For the OP, this place is great!

https://supperclubstx.com/

I can't speak to this, although we had a longer conversation about it with a local over a year ago. We were in Wimberley this past weekend, and saw it was open and looked pretty cool. But our initial understanding was that it was literally a club you had to join. 

I can't speak to this, although we had a longer conversation about it with a local over a year ago. We were in Wimberley this past weekend, and saw it was open and looked pretty cool. But our initial understanding was that it was literally a club you had to join. 

You don’t have to be a member. Anyone can make a reservation. Members get special perks and get together once a week for cocktail hour. I considered it, but we decided not to join because we don’t eat out that frequently.
  • Hook 'Em 1