Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

I come onto this thread mostly looking to see if I'm missing anything over the past few shitty weeks and as I am reading, I reminded of the Salt & Pepper Diner bit from John Mulaney. "Yep, same shit as ALWAYS". 

Not that there is anything wrong with that. You guys are absolutely handling 2019 Texas recruiting discussion on a far higher plane than, say, the way Tom Herman handles second half coaching. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. You guys are absolutely handling 2019 Texas recruiting discussion on a far higher plane than, say, the way Tom Herman handles second half coaching. 

Or the way Samuel L. Jackson handles snakes.

5 minutes ago, Scholz said:

About to get Hookfin and probably K.Lewis.  Higgins to Stanford.  Got a real shot at both N.Cain and B.McCoy.  C.Johnson is likely.  Maybe M.Banks.  Gotta keep an eye on C.Adimora.

There you go.

Wait, are you saying I have panicked in vain over Kenyatta Watson II?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Pair Hookfin with Christian Jones and whoever is the next coach after Herman is going to have some athletic bookend tackles. Can't wait. 

Like Butch and Sundance.....

"I can't Swim" ......  "Why You Crazy .....The fall will probaby kill yah!!"

Edited by LTtxfan

From Bruce Feldman:

“One job that many have figured might come open is USC, but sources have told me this week that AD Lynn Swann and Trojan brass are backing Clay Helton and like the idea of having more stability. They like Helton and hope that some staff shake-up (USC dismissed its O-line coach Neil Callaway and Helton took over play-calling responsibilities last week) is their solution. I’m told that unless the team falls apart down the stretch, don’t look for USC to make a move on Helton.”

Best case scenario could still play out for us where Helton survives but barely. Tee Martin won’t be there next year either.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skyline said:

From Bruce Feldman:

“One job that many have figured might come open is USC, but sources have told me this week that AD Lynn Swann and Trojan brass are backing Clay Helton and like the idea of having more stability. They like Helton and hope that some staff shake-up (USC dismissed its O-line coach Neil Callaway and Helton took over play-calling responsibilities last week) is their solution. I’m told that unless the team falls apart down the stretch, don’t look for USC to make a move on Helton.”

Best case scenario could still play out for us where Helton survives but barely. Tee Martin won’t be there next year either.

They are going to fall apart. Cal will be a struggle, UCLA is terribad, ND will boat race them.

7 minutes ago, Skyline said:

From Bruce Feldman:

NSD1 will be the cutoff for sources telling Bruce Feldman that.

• Like 1

They are going to fall apart. Cal will be a struggle, UCLA is terribad, ND will boat race them.

I don’t understand how USC can clean out its offensive staff midseason and somehow claim stability but here we are. I get the feeling that Swann likes Helton a bunch and doesn’t want to fire his friend.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I don’t understand how USC can clean out its offensive staff midseason and somehow claim stability but here we are. I get the feeling that Swann likes Helton a bunch and doesn’t want to fire his friend.

I think it's a win-win. They keep Helton and have a dysfunctional situation and are looking for scapegoats. Their players and recruits will sense that. Or they fire Helton in December and we get a two week booster power struggle right up to signing day. USC has had some major scandals recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the President or BOR want to weigh in more heavily this time around.

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

And people in Miami were saying all along he was better than McGahee. I think he had injuries. I just want a comp that isn’t on the NFL top ten career rushing yards. 

I just want to know if he takes random dumps in closets like Najeh Davenport.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Myron Warren will visit for the ISU game.

Edit: it's an unofficial visit

Always confusing the Myron's Texas is recruiting.....

Myron Warren   SDE

• SDE   6-3.   240LBs.  Many H.S.    Many, LA.      Class 2019

Myron Cunningham   OT

JUCO    OT.  6-5.   300LBs.   Iowa Central C.C.   Warren OH     
Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I haven't heard this one, but it sounds interesting. Like sleep dumping?

Prior to entering the NFL, Davenport allegedly broke into the dorm room of a Barry University woman and defecated in a laundry basket on April 1, 2002.A woman sleeping in the room told police she was startled by a strange grunting sound and observed Davenport in a squatted position, evacuating his bowels and voiding into a laundry hamper in her closet. In a plea bargain, his felony charge of second-degree burglary and misdemeanor count of criminal mischief were dropped in exchange for his completing 100 hours of community service. Davenport maintained his innocence after the hearing, demanding outside of the courthouse, "Where's the evidence? Where's the manure? I know I didn't do it – I just wanted to get it over with."

During his career, Davenport was given the nicknames "Dookie" and "The Dump Truck."While playing for the Packers, a portable commode was placed inside of his locker during training camp as a rookie hazing prank, and a spirited letter writing campaign to the Green Bay team equipment manager asked in jest that he be issued jersey Number Two for practice

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

That is a pretty good comparison.  If he can stay healthier than Brown and from the looks of it he SHOULD be playing behind a better OLine than Brown had, he can be really good for us.  If I remember correctly Brown rarely went down upon first contact.

Brown’s balance on his touchdown this Sunday was a thing of beauty.

One of the most gratifying things about the offense this year is the number of 3 and 4 yard gains on first down where we used to get stonewalled. Developing a run game where the other team has to work hard to keep you to 3 yards is such a key for everything else to work.

Keep improving the line. Keep adding gifted backs (Watson is underappreciated in my opinion) who get that extra yard, and we will have an offense again.

I thought Cain was the smaller back not the stronger back. I like the sound of him even more.

Go get 'em, staff!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

About to get Hookfin and probably K.Lewis.  Higgins to Stanford.  Got a real shot at both N.Cain and B.McCoy.  C.Johnson is likely.  Maybe M.Banks.  Gotta keep an eye on C.Adimora.

There you go.

Thanks. Due to two business deals careening sideways and needing attention,  and a trip to Vegas, it really has been easy to check way the fuck out from the recruiting and football boards since the Okie State buttfuck. It's also been easy to check out on my friends who are so bitter right now about Herman and crew that they aren't capable of providing viable information about the program/recruiting, or they're inside the machine, which is in full on fucking bunker mode right now.

While I like to play an unhinged Internet poster as much as the next guy, I really don't need to hear diatribes about how fucked everything is and how ruined we all are as fans for life, so it's been a pretty peaceful, non-UT stint for me as I ignore calls and texts. So I'm in the dark and I'm not showing up here asking for a repeat of the past 10-15 pages.

That said, is Adimora really checking out on us? I'd heard he was locked in for reals. That sucks, if true. I guess I'll reach out in the next day or so and see if I can get something rational that can be passed on if I hear anything on this end. I'll hang up and listen.

Also, if Banks is legitimately being by Texas, it's an indicator of all kinds of new shit coming to light, so I guess I'm going to watch that shit like a hawk as a recruitnik.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks. Due to two business deals careening sideways and needing attention,  and a trip to Vegas, it really has been easy to check way the fuck out from the recruiting and football boards since the Okie State buttfuck. It's also been easy to check out on my friends who are so bitter right now about Herman and crew that they aren't capable of providing viable information about the program/recruiting, or they're inside the machine, which is in full on fucking bunker mode right now. 

While I like to play an unhinged Internet poster as much as the next guy, I really don't need to hear diatribes about how fucked everything is and how ruined we all are as fans for life, so it's been a pretty peaceful, non-UT stint for me as I ignore calls and texts. So I'm in the dark and I'm not showing up here asking for a repeat of the past 10-15 pages.

That said, is Adimora really checking out on us? I'd heard he was locked in for reals. That sucks, if true. I guess I'll reach out in the next day or so and see if I can get something rational that can be passed on if I hear anything on this end. I'll hang up and listen.

Also, if Banks is legitimately being by Texas, it's an indicator of all kinds of new shit coming to light, so I guess I'm going to watch that shit like a hawk as a recruitnik.

Adimora's taking an OV to AZ State but all his quotes seem very locked in. Same sort of mild queasiness as with K. Watson.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Adimora is taking an official visit to ASU. I doubt that there's much substance there.

If you wanted to check in on something, it would be the Kenyatta Watson / Marcus Banks brouhaha.

Possible finish looks like Cain (if Emery goes to LSU), Lewis and/or Bru, Hookfin, Warren (if LSU doesn't offer soon), Caleb Johnson (assuming Oregon doesn't put on the full-court press), and perhaps a JUCO at OL or DL.

Plus grad transfers that we'll dig up in a couple months.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Adimora is taking an official visit to ASU. I doubt that there's much substance there.

If you wanted to check in on something, it would be the Kenyatta Watson / Marcus Banks brouhaha.

Possible finish looks like Cain (if Emery goes to LSU), Lewis and/or Bru, Hookfin, Warren (if LSU doesn't offer soon), Caleb Johnson (assuming Oregon doesn't put on the full-court press), and perhaps a JUCO at OL or DL.

Plus grad transfers that we'll dig up in a couple months.

Herman Edwards has been underestimated by the CFB audience, myself included. He's got a way to his recruiting that is apparently resonating to the right kinds of players. I'm not surprised Adimora is one of them. Adimora is apparently focused on leaving a mark in life with his decisions and is a heady dude. Edwards has a lot of credibility as a mentor with guys who think that big. 

Unless I hear otherwise, I don't care what any reporter says about Lewis/McCoy. They will take McCoy irrespective of any other condition if he wants to come, so I don't see Lewis' recruitment as being related. We'll of course see here shortly, no doubt.

Thanks for the responses.

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Herman Edwards has been underestimated by the CFB audience, myself included. He's got a way to his recruiting that is apparently resonating to the right kinds of players. I'm not surprised Adimora is one of them. Adimora is apparently focused on leaving a mark in life with his decisions and is a heady dude. Edwards has a lot of credibility as a mentor with guys who think that big. 

This is a good observation.  Just the mention of his name makes everyone think of the 'you play to win the game' sound bite, his mediocrity as an NFL HC, and long stint on TV - so people to jump to the conclusion that he is a just a clown.   the fact is that he knows what he is talking about, at least as far as defensive backfield coaching.  And if you listen to him in an extended setting, with players etc, he does appear to be genuine.  He certainly talks a good game.

Herm’s a good dude and is great with teenagers.  The guy did very well with the under armor recruits every year for their UA game.  Many people including me assumed his NFL management style wouldn’t translate to the college game.  So far he’s shown to be pretty good.  The guy can motivate and perhaps that will translate to more success in the college game considering young kids seem to play off their coaches demeanor/personality.   Let’s see how he does next year after other coaches have more film on his team/schemes.  He’s also playing in a very down PAC 12 this year but props to him for getting people talking about ASU regardless of the circumstances around them.

1 minute ago, ousux said:

Had a bad feeling before Okie lite game and haven't been here or FB board much since, are some of our big dogs legit wavering, or nah?

Eh, nothing really scary. Just Adimora taking an OV to Tempe but adamantly saying he's committed and some murmuring that Watson's dad isn't stoked Banks came for a UV.

Edited by texifornia