Texas recruiting notes 2019

EJ after dark: Updates on key out-of-state targets

— Five-star Mater Dei (Calif.) athlete Bru McCoy is planning to release his top schools this week. So will Texas make the cut? We fully believe the Longhorns will make the list and continue to be a major player in his recruitment moving forward. In fact, we are continuing to hear that Texas is the biggest threat to USC at this point in the process. Expect him to make an official visit to Texas in the fall.

— Texas played host to four-star Punahou (HI) inside linebacker Maninoa Tufono over the weekend. And as we’ve been reporting, Texas is really surging in this recruitment. Texas staffer Jake Langi, who has strong Polynesian ties, is an X-factor, and he loved his trip to Austin. Tufono will release his top schools soon, and we expect Texas to survive the cut and host him for an OV in the fall.

— The recruitment of elite IMG Academy (Fla.) running back Noah Cain took a little bit of a turn this weekend as he made a visit to Georgia. We are told that the Bulldogs really blew him away and have solidified themselves as a top school in his recruitment. Cain still plans on making a decision in December, so this season will be imperative.

— We are hearing that Georgia is now the team to beat for four-star University Lab (La.) athlete Makiya Tongue. Like with Cain, the Bulldogs really hit a home run as they sold him on scheme fit and winning in the SEC. Texas is still strongly in the mix, but keep in mind that the Longhorns already used their official visit in the spring.

Edited by satyanash

Horns247 Recruiting Mailbag: What's next for UT recruiting this summer?

With the Heat Wave over with and what I think were the last two official visits of the year used, do y’all expect much more activity the rest of the summer? -- Hookem777

EJ: Like you said, Texas can’t use anymore official visits this summer (they can starting in September). But there is only one weekend left before the new month long dead period, so it shouldn’t really affect the Longhorns. While on campus activity will be basically non-existent, there should still be plenty of news with state 7v7 and The Opening coming up in the next couple of weeks. Texas is going to continue to work hard on recruits behind the scenes and there could still be a couple of commits before the summer is over. Remember, guys like Rian Davis, Elijah Higgins and Chris Adimora are aiming for August decisions. By the way, Texas should have its annual Under The Lights camp after the dead period in late July.

Mike: It was close, but I think they actually managed the official visits really well. Now we enter the last weekend before the dead period, and then they will pick up a new group of officials during the fall. They can still host as many unofficial visits as they want, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them have some kids in. Like EJ said, the annual camp in late July will likely have plenty of visitors on hand. I think we could see 2-3 more commitments before the season starts as well.

With some of the early results from some of prospects in the 2017 class & the way the strength staff has been able to transform bodies, do you think the coaching staff gets the benefit of the doubt when they take a commitment from a guy who may not be that highly rated? -- vinnyC40

EJ: I think that especially holds true in the trenches. This weekend’s commit, Peter Mpagi, is a perfect example. While he isn’t the highest rated recruit, he has a good frame with a lot of upside and is also extremely intelligent. When you have talent developers like Herb Handand Oscar Giles upfront, I think you can take more chances on high ceiling guys. Overall, yes they should get the benefit of the doubt, but you don’t want too many project guys at other prime positions.

Mike: There is a fine balance between finding project guys and others who are more ready to play early. That said, the staff is really selling strength and conditioning with their current recruits. They clearly have a program they believe in, which gives them license to take some upside guys they will have to build up. Mpagi is the perfect example as a guy who will need to develop for a few years, but he has tremendous potential in his frame and skillset. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, provided they don't take way too many projects.

In your opinion, who are our next 2020 commitments (one for offense and one for defense)? -- HoustonHorn91

EJ: I don’t think there are any imminent commitments in 2020, but I do feel like Texas made a huge impression on four-star running back Mookie Cooper this weekend. I’m feeling better and better about that Crystal Ball. If Texas offers defensive lineman Alec Bryant in the near future, I could see him pulling immediately.

Mike: Cooper and Bryant are good bets. EJ and I have both also said that Ja'Quinden Jackson could go at any time. He was unable to make it to the Heat Wave event, but Texas is still sitting very high on his list.

How many do the Horns sign in December 2018 for the early signing period? Do you see a similar number as compared to 2017? -- orangebass53

EJ: It’s too early too tell, but yes, I could definitely see a similar number. Some of the commits that have told me they plan to enroll early are Roschon Johnson, De’Gabriel Floyd, Jared Wiley and Kenyatta Watson II. With an accelerated recruiting process, it seems like more and more recruits are opting to graduate in December and sign early.

Mike: This staff has always been very good at managing roster numbers and anticipating attrition. They will maximize every opportunity they have.

What other state will we get the most recruits from -- California, Arizona, Da Boot, Georgia or Florida? So far AZ- 2, Cali- 1 and GA-1. -- tatumrob1984

EJ: This is a good question. Looking at the targets left on the board, I think Florida may be the surprising answer. The Longhorns are in serious play for running backs Trey Sanders and Noah Cain as well as offensive lineman Chris Akporoghene and linebacker Rian Davis. I feel like Texas could get at least a couple. Of course, California is an obvious choice with big fish like Chris Adimora and Bru McCoy still left on the board.

Mike: Like EJ, I think this comes down to Florida or California. Unless the Longhorns become a more serious contender for Noa Pola-Gates, I think they've tapped out in Arizona. I'm going to go with Florida as well. I could see Cain, Davis and Akporoghene.

What’s latest on Makiya Tongue? Y’all both put y’all’s Crystal Balls to Georgia. Just wanted to know what’s new. -- jackf6123

EJ: I’ll let Mike expand more, but from what we have been able to gather, Georgia made a really strong impression on him on his official visit over the weekend. And it appears Texas is losing steam. On top of that, the Longhorns already had him on campus for an official visit.

Mike: Georgia is coming off of a National Championship appearance, and they've apparently somehow sold him on his ability to play linebacker in their scheme. I think some folks in his camp prefer Georgia, though they aren't against Texas. It's more a case of established against up and coming, but Tongue does like what Texas is building. For us, we feel that Texas hosted him too early, and they might be out of luck unless they can get him back on campus and have a great season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t think Georgia needs to hand out bags of cash to entice players right now. If by some miracle Texas makes it to the CFP this season, similar results could be expected for future recruiting cycles.

I’m not saying it isn’t happening, but let’s not go full aggy.

An obviously dirty SEC program is an interesting maiden to white knight for

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Every school says this about every other school. They’re probably all dirty and the discussion gets old.

Kind of like your mom. Dirty, old, and we should assume that she's paying for the goods. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Whichever RB takes the other spot at Miami is going to start a domino effect for RBs in Florida. There's like 4 or 5 guys that all seem like they want that spot but so far none of them have blinked. It seems like McIntosh will/should be that guy. I think Carter would kill it at Utah (scheme fit) but I also have a soft spot for the guy because his HUDL has like 8-10 clips of him on kick coverage and several rushing the punter and I'm a sucker for STs. I also love 1-cut north/south guys. 

42 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I don’t think Georgia needs to hand out bags of cash to entice players right now. If by some miracle Texas makes it to the CFP this season, similar results could be expected for future recruiting cycles.

34 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Every school says this about every other school. They’re probably all dirty and the discussion gets old.

Normally I'd agree, but UGA is on a completely other level. Saying UGA is paying isn't like the aggy copout they give every time they miss on a prospect. UGA is legitimately cheating their asses off and pacing the field in that regard. Sure, UGA can sell winning and a very strong tradition of RBs in the last decade, but their cheating changes the game.  Go look at the class UGA put together in Smart's transition year (he pulled in 3 5 stars, 2 of which signed after he got there. That's unheard of for a transition class. Even Saban signed mostly 3 stars during his transition class at Bama) and the recruits they had committed before they played a game in 2017, coming off a very mediocre 8-5 season.  Selling winning is not what's been getting them all these 5 stars and elite recruits.

If UGA identifies Cain as their #1 RB target, it could be trouble for us, but I'm skeptical they'll do that as I think Cain is currently overrated and is a good, not great, prospect.  I'm not saying we shoudl throw in the towel by any means, but if UGA were to go hard after Cain as their #1 RB, it would constitute a drastic change in his recruitment.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

2 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

If UGA identifies Cain as their #1 RB target, it could be trouble for us, but I'm skeptical they'll do that as I think Cain is currently overrated and is a good, not great, prospect.  I'm not saying we shoudl throw in the towel, but if UGA were to go hard after Cain as their #1 RB, it would constitute a drastic change in his recruitment.

Better be prepared for next year because they will be going after Evans.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Better be prepared for next year because they will be going after Evans.

Yep.  We're in a good spot for Evans, but I'll wait to see how he responds to schools like Bama and UGA putting the hard sell on before I expect him to be in the class. Some guys want to stay in-state regardless of recruiting tactics, though. It's entirely possible Evans is one of those. It's part of why UT is such a desirable coaching destination.  Us having success on offense this year would help, and especially getting a guy like Young over 1,000 yards would be big. We can't role out an offense even remotely resembling last year's and expect to sign guys like Evans.

7 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Normally I'd agree, but UGA is on a completely other level. Saying UGA is paying isn't like the aggy copout they give every time they miss on a prospect. UGA is legitimately cheating their asses off and pacing the field in that regard. Sure, UGA can sell winning and a very strong tradition of RBs in the last decade, but their cheating changes the game.  Go look at the class UGA put together in Smart's transition year (he pulled in 3 5 stars, 2 of which signed after he got there. That's unheard of for a transition class. Even Saban signed mostly 3 stars during his transition class at Bama) and the recruits they had committed before they played a game in 2017, coming off a very mediocre 8-5 season.  Selling winning is not what's been getting them all these 5 stars and elite recruits.

If UGA identifies Cain as their #1 RB target, it could be trouble for us, but I'm skeptical they'll do that as I think Cain is currently overrated and is a good, not great, prospect.  I'm not saying we shoudl throw in the towel by any means, but if UGA were to go hard after Cain as their #1 RB, it would constitute a drastic change in his recruitment.

Georgia has never had trouble recruiting and Smart had a MUCH stronger foothold in the area for recruiting than Saban did when comparing their first year.

10 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Georgia has never had trouble recruiting and Smart had a MUCH stronger foothold in the area for recruiting than Saban did when comparing their first year.

Lulz. That doesn't explain what he did in his transition year.  Literally no coach has ever been able to pull that type of thing off.  And UGA has never even come close to signing a class like the one they signed in 2018 ever before.  

But go ahead and continue to double down on ignorance and get upset when people mention a legitimate factor when UGA enters a recruitment.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

The detail about Haitian food and Cine shows how detail-oriented the Herman recruiting machine is. It's been said a million times, but if we can add a goddamn winning record to the mix, Herman should be unstoppable on the recruiting trail. He's got everything else in place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Yep.  We're in a good spot for Evans, but I'll wait to see how he responds to schools like Bama and UGA putting the hard sell on before I expect him to be in the class. Some guys want to stay in-state regardless of recruiting tactics, though. It's entirely possible Evans is one of those. It's part of why UT is such a desirable coaching destination.  Us having success on offense this year would help, and especially getting a guy like Young over 1,000 yards would be big. We can't role out an offense even remotely resembling last year's and expect to sign guys like Evans.

If any back goes for 1K it will much more likely be Watson than Young. I'd fully expect Watson to get more than half the snaps at the position. While Young, Carter, Ingram, and everyone's favorite Porter split the rest. Though I also expect that Watson to is closer to 1,200-1,500 all purpose yards with 25-30% coming from the passing game.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If any back goes for 1K it will much more likely be Watson than Young. I'd fully expect Watson to get more than half the snaps at the position. While Young, Carter, Ingram, and everyone's favorite Porter split the rest. Though I also expect that Watson to is closer to 1,200-1,500 all purpose yards with 25-30% coming from the passing game.

I don't see it. Watson is more of an APB than an every down back, and he's coming off an ACL tear. There's no guarantee that he's completely right this year.  I also think we'll use him some as a receiver.  Regardless, I think the staff will have more of a time share going that will keep any one player from hitting 1,000 yards, or 1,200 all purpose yards as long as most of our RBs are healthy, and I don't really care as long as the offense's total yards improve a lot from last year.  I could see teams negative recruiting us with Evans if we use a timeshare again at RB, but it's not a big deal as long as we can sell a competent-to-good offense.

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

10 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Lulz. That doesn't explain what he did in his transition year.  Literally no coach has ever been able to pull that type of thing off.  And UGA has never even come close to signing a class like the one they signed in 2018 ever before.  

But go ahead and continue to double down on ignorance and get upset when people mention a legitimate factor when UGA enters a recruitment.

Uhhh, I don’t get upset over this shit. But go ahead and continue sounding off like aggy in the 2018 recruiting cycle regarding Texas.

18 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

The detail about Haitian food and Cine shows how detail-oriented the Herman recruiting machine is. It's been said a million times, but if we can add a goddamn winning record to the mix, Herman should be unstoppable on the recruiting trail. He's got everything else in place.

Yep. Good for Football Braniacs for explaining the Haitian angle and actually quoting the recruit about that brilliant stroke. 

Any other school who provides Haitian food will likely only remind Cine that Texas did it first. Any school that doesn't will seem less attentive than Texas.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe we should stick to Cali, Arizona, and Hawaii. Those teams either don't give a shit enough to cheat or are really bad at it.

Well, unfortunately the SEC stench is spreading West. Alabama has been cheating since the NCAA did basically nothing after the Means' scandal. The up and comers like Tennessee and A&M have to cheat in order to keep up (and in order for the coaches to keep their jobs). And as CTJ has mentioned, Georgia has an open price list. And these schools are recruiting nationally now. So in order for us and Oklahoma and USC to compete, we are going to have to do the same thing. For me, it is starting to ruin my college football experience and I see it all ending in an NFL minor league at some point. I'm not even sure if punishing the SEC would lead to something different. I think the genie is out of the bottle and there is no going back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yep. Good for Football Braniacs for explaining the Haitian angle and actually quoting the recruit about that brilliant stroke. 

Any other school who provides Haitian food will likely only remind Cine that Texas did it first. Any school that doesn't will seem less attentive than Texas.

Ain't no Haitian food in Pedo Valley 

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Saban was pretty damn familiar with SEC territory when he took the Alabama job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Saban was pretty damn familiar with SEC territory when he took the Alabama job.

If you can’t see the difference between recruiting for Alabama one day and jumping to Georgia the next compared to a coach coming off a two year NFL gig, I’m sorry for the life struggles you experience on a daily basis.

16 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

If you can’t see the difference between recruiting for Alabama one day and jumping to Georgia the next compared to a coach coming off a two year NFL gig, I’m sorry for the life struggles you experience on a daily basis.

Are you being obtuse or did you forget Saban was the coach and won a championship at LSU? The SEC landscape didn't dramatically change in 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Two years of not building relationships with individual players. Who’s being obtuse?

Your theory is that Georgia is clean and the reason they landed an unheard of transition class is because Smart "had a much stronger foothold" in the SEC than Nick Saban. Yeah, ok.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Your theory is that Georgia is clean and the reason they landed an unheard of transition class is because Smart "had a much stronger foothold" in the SEC than Nick Saban. Yeah, ok.

Let me repeat this from my original response, because reading is hard.

“I’m not saying it isn’t happening, but let’s not go full aggy.“

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Are you saying it is happening? Are you taking the Clayton Williams defense?

53 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

7 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You sure are jonesing hard for the SEC bro.