Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Let me repeat this from my original response, because reading is hard.

“I’m not saying it isn’t happening, but let’s not go full aggy.

Why are you acting like your head is in the sand? Your team gets to play by unwritten(although well documented by a number of reporters) sec rules and are beating the sec at its own game. Embrace the commitment to football and stop being such a puss. Now with a CFP run, it'll be tough to know what is above vs. below board. Enjoy your run.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Why are you acting like your head is in the sand? Your team gets to play by unwritten(although well documented by a number of reporters) sec rules and are beating the sec at its own game. Embrace the commitment to football and stop being such a puss. Now with a CFP run, it'll be tough to know what is above vs. below board. Enjoy your run.

Texas is joining the SEC? Aggy faithfuls must all be on suicide watch.

Y’all get the fuck out of here with the accusations. Georgia just played in a national title, they had multiple guys drafted, and their HC was mentored by one of the best coaches alive. There were rumors 4 or 5 years ago of Florida & Georgia wanting to leave for the ACC because of shady practices in the league. 

• Fuck You 2

Just now, CastHorn said:

Y’all get the fuck out of here with the accusations. Georgia just played in a national title, they had multiple guys drafted, and their HC was mentored by one of the best coaches alive. There were rumors 4 or 5 years ago of Florida & Georgia wanting to leave for the ACC because of shady practices in the league. 

Are you saying that Georgia is relatively above board, on par with Texas? If so, I reject that assertion.

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

Agreed, on top of that, they're in a ridiculously talented state, with not much competition from in state schools.

• Like 1

To be clear, I think Georgia is probably drawing legitimate interest from a lot of studs because of their recent success and history as a football program, as well as having the in-state advantage in a talent-rich state. I do think that they're employing $EC-style methods to elevate themselves to unprecedented levels of recruiting.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Umm, no.

I can't believe there is even a question as to how Kirby and GA new found commitment to FB impacted the last 2 classes. After the CFP run, the shade of gray will be very difficult to distinguish. Some of you are on a recruiting board but acting like sec recruiting is news. bama, auburn, aggie, olemiss, missst, lsu, the hell uf became under urbs....oh no, georgia is not like them.

Anyone who doesn't think Georgia is currently "playing by the rules" in their region, does not understand recruiting. It isn't "being aggy" to point out what is patently obvious. That doesn't mean we need to spend multiple pages whining about it.  Whatever the case, it is working for them right now. Georgia will be able to out-talent nearly every team they play for the foreseeable future. 

E.J. Holland: Four-star ILB David Gbenda recaps Texas visit

Texas hosted a number of talented recruits this weekend. Among them was four-star Katy Cinco Ranch inside linebacker David Gbenda, who arrived a few hours early with his father and met with the Texas coaching staff. “Our conversations went pretty well,” Gbenda said. “I like Coach (Tom) Herman’s energy and Coach (Todd) Orlando’s business approach.” After chatting with the coaches, Gbenda had an opportunity to hit the water and spend time with players and recruits. “The visit was fun,” Gbenda said. “My favorite parts were talking to the recruits like Peter (Mpagi) and T’Vondre (Sweat) and some of the players like Moro (Ojomo) and Gary (Johnson).”

Texas A&M appeared to have the momentum in Gbenda’s recruitment heading into the weekend. However, the tide appears to be turning back towards the Longhorns. So where exactly does Texas after his weekend trip to Austin? “They stand up there,” Gbenda said. “I like the new energy coming in with Tom Herman.” Gbenda is likely to return for an official visit in the fall. He is still aiming for a December decision at this time. At 6-foot, 212 pounds Gbenda is ranked as the No. 10 inside linebacker in the country and No. 35 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

Edited by satyanash

38 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Hahahahahaha. Go fuck yourself with this shit. Georgia is a dirty shithouse being run by the resident rat and his mongers. They're dirtier than Sanchez and it's not our problem if you choose to live obliviously, you Pollyanna mouthbreather.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Anyone who doesn't think Georgia is currently "playing by the rules" in their region, does not understand recruiting. It isn't "being aggy" to point out what is patently obvious. That doesn't mean we need to spend multiple pages whining about it.  Whatever the case, it is working for them right now. Georgia will be able to out-talent nearly every team they play for the foreseeable future. 
I believe their recruiting success is due to a combination of factors which includes "enhanced recruiting" when needed for certain (but not all) highly rated players. It's what aggy is attempting now, but they don't have recent and past success to bolster their sales pitch..

2 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Been stupid busy with work. Most the time I check the thread it's moved 20 pages and I have no idea if anything has happened or we're just arguing.

99.9% it's the latter, sometimes we also argue if something might have happened

Edited by T-dog

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Clarity on the WR logjam: good

Having them all get taken and just going with what's left: would be less good

We really need Dylan Wright. After that, I don't really care. Higgins, Tongue (who is a lb), your momma...  

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I doubt Anderson would commit (or stay committed) to Baylor if we were going after him full bore. 

Even if he did, I struggle to care even a little bit. There's so many good WR prospects this year and every year, and WR is so far down the list of things that have made our offense suck lately that it just doesn't matter. Unless a guy is someone who can completely change the dynamic of your offense by himself, improving OL and QB play will be exponentially more important to WR output in our offense than which outside WR we land in 2019. 

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Nnamdi Adim-Madumere getting picks to RTMFB with Fleck at Minnesota as well. Appears some of the WR slots are starting to take shape finally. 

Timely update on WR recruiting from E.J.

E.J. Holland's Big Board: Wide Receivers

With the spring evaluation period over and done with, it’s time to reset the big boards and look at where Texas stands with its targets at each position. We continue the series by taking a look at wide receiver recruiting.

Commits:

Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (AZ) —Smith kicked off summer recruiting momentum by giving the Longhorns a verbal pledge over fellow finalist USC. Smith is a dynamic slot receiver that can also make plays out of the backfield and as a return man. The four-star prospect is someone that brings a different type of skillset than anyone on the roster and could see immediate playing time.

Jordan Whittington, Cuero — One of the most versatile prospects in the country, Whittington gave the Longhorns a verbal pledge back in March and has been  UT’s most vocal in-state recruiter this cycle. Whittington has made several visits to Texas this offseason and has remained completely solid. He will likely start off in the slot, but he has the tools to play on the outside or eventually make the transition to safety.

Top Targets:

Bru McCoy, Mater Dei (Calif.) — A five-star prospect, McCoy is one of UT’s top overall recruits this cycle. His preference is to play wide receiver at the next level, and Texas is just fine with that. But his biggest upside might be at linebacker. As far as his recruitment goes, USC is considered the overwhelming favorite. However, Texas has made a strong push and is a legitimate threat in his recruitment. Expect UT to get an official visit this fall.

Dylan Wright, West Mesquite — Texas already has a pair of slot receivers committed, but the Longhorns are still lacking a big play outside wide receiver. And that’s exactly why Wright is a top priority. The four-star prospect has a ton of potential and is a monster on the outside. Texas and Texas A&M appear to be the early frontrunners in his recruitment, but he won’t be making any type of decision until January.

Elijah Higgins, Austin Bowie — A big-bodied outside wide receiver, Higgins was considered a Texas lock early on in his recruiting process. But his stock has continued to rise, and now, Higgins has taken a big step back. Stanford has made a big impression on him as has Florida. But Texas did have him on campus for a visit a couple of weeks ago and is continuing to make a push ahead of his August decision.

Makiya Tongue, University Lab (La.) —Texas held the majority of Crystal Ball picks for Tongue heading into the weekend. But Georgia absolutely blew him away on his official visit, and now, the Bulldogs appear to be in the pole position. Texas already used its official visit with Tongue in the spring, so it’s going to be tough to regain momentum with him. A versatile prospect, Tongue might move to linebacker at the next level.

Offered Prospects:

Marcus Washington, St. Louis Trinity Catholic (MO) — Texas was close to getting Washington on campus for an official visit this summer but had a numbers crunch. Unless Washington pushes back his summer decision date, he appears to be Ohio State bound. If he does delay, Texas will more than likely get a swing.

Trey Palmer, Kentwood (La.) — Palmer picked up a Texas offer this offseason and talked about making a visit. And wouldn’t be surprising if he did make his way to Austin this fall. But right now, the four-star recruit is a heavy LSU lean, and we expect him to stay in Louisiana.

Devonta Lee, Amite (La.) — Like Palmer, Lee notched a Texas offer this offseason and contemplated making a visit. While he hasn’t been on campus, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him make it to a game this fall. However, Alabama and LSU are the two teams to beat in his recruitment.

Kennedy Lewis, Melissa — Texas recently put an offer on the table for Lewis, but he decided to shut down his recruiting process this week as he gave TCU a verbal commitment. Texas will likely try to get Lewis on campus for a game in the fall, but he seems solid with the Horned Frogs.

Jaylen Ellis, Round Rock Cedar Ridge — Ellis is currently committed to Baylor but has been open about making other visits. In fact, he’s made it to the Forty Acres on multiple occasions this offseason. Ellis wants to take his time with the process, and it looks like Texas is just fine with that. If the Longhorns press, they have a great chance to flip him.

Langston Anderson, Midlothian Heritage — Anderson notched an offer from Texas after impressing during the spring evaluation period. He recently listed Texas as a top school, and he will likely make a visit before the summer is over. Like with Ellis, if Texas pushes, it has a great shot at landing him.

Peyton Powell, Odessa Permian —Powell was one of the biggest risers of the spring as he notched several major offers, including one from Texas. Powell is in the same boat as Anderson — he will likely visit before the summer is over and if Texas presses, the Longhorns could earn a commitment.

On The Radar:

TQ Jackson, Jefferson — Texas is still looking for an outside wide receiver, and Jackson is an intriguing option with multiple P5 offers. He camped with Texas at its East Texas satellite camp this summer.

Jaylen Hearst, Keller Fossil Ridge —Hearst saw his stock boom this spring with several P5 offers. Texas has shown a little bit of interest in him, so he is a name to file away for the fall.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Nnamdi Adim-Madumere getting picks to RTMFB with Fleck at Minnesota as well. Appears some of the WR slots are starting to take shape finally. 

If I'm a mid-tier P5 school like Minnesota, I'd be hitting up Texas for WRs every year. There's so many of them here, they can't all stay in state. You can get really good value.

Some folks will bawl all over themselves about this or claim that it is merely coincidental, but regarding WRs in this cycle, can anyone tell me who is coaching the outside WRs and leading their recruitment? We look good at slot after we looked inept at slot for most of the last cycle. Not sure what's changed in this go-round but figured maybe some of you nerds can solve this one for me.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Some folks will bawl all over themselves about this or claim that it is merely coincidental, but regarding WRs in this cycle, can anyone tell me who is coaching the outside WRs and leading their recruitment? We look good at slot after we looked inept at slot for most of the last cycle. Not sure what's changed in this go-round but figured maybe some of you nerds can solve this one for me.

From what I've seen, it doesn't seem that either Meekins or Mehringer had an active role in recruiting Whittington or Smith.

Of course, what you're driving at is "recruited by Mehringer" vs. "not recruited by Mehringer", to which I say, fair play, sir.

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From what I've seen, it doesn't seem that either Meekins or Mehringer had an active role in recruiting Whittington or Smith.

Of course, what you're driving at is "recruited by Mehringer" vs. "not recruited by Mehringer", to which I say, fair play, sir.

I think we're witnessing ineptitude at outside WR recruiting. Take a look at the list of targets and think about what's going on. I'd previously been thinking there was some sort of higher plan, but now I'm not as certain. This may just be more incompetence from a true performance artist in the realm of incompetence. This could be Drew Mehringer's tour de force. His perfect canvas. He's already absolutely shit all over himself in the Wilson and Higgins recruitments. Don't let this pass you by here, we could be witnessing virtuoso work in real time.

• Like 1

Could it be that Wilson bought in to Urban's bullshit and the kid just wants to go back to Ohio?  If Higgins stock has really started to rise, maybe he wants to slow it down, make visits, enjoy the process,  and make the right decision for himself.

Bragg is going to Stanford.  Does that make Herb Hand a fuck up like Mehringer?  I am no insider for sure, but I wish we would let this shit play out.  If Mehringer is as big a fuck up as he is portrayed on this thread, he will be gone by the bowl game.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Could it be that Wilson bought in to Urban's bullshit and the kid just wants to go back to Ohio?  If Higgins stock has really started to rise, maybe he wants to slow it down, make visits, enjoy the process,  and make the right decision for himself.

Bragg is going to Stanford.  Does that make Herb Hand a fuck up like Mehringer?  I am no insider for sure, but I wish we would let this shit play out.  If Mehringer is as big a fuck up as he is portrayed on this thread, he will be gone by the bowl game.  

There have been repeated misses at the position. People can try to explain each one away or say why each one happened, but eventually trends develop.  See DL recruiting for the last two years. 

Second, Herman was literally trying to ship away Warehime and Mehringer over the offseason. It was unsuccessful, so they both got demoted.  The writing is on the wall.

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Does a 10 win season get Bragg to rethink or should we just forget that one?

giphy.gif

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Last year, we couldn't buy a good slot wr. Now we have 2 of them and no outside guys. Why can't we have nice things? 

Let's ask the inverse of CTJ's prior question.  Who was in charge of recruiting slot receivers last year that's not in charge of recruiting slot receivers this year?

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

3 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Let's ask the inverse of CTJ's prior question.  Who was in charge of recruiting slot receivers last year that's not in charge of recruiting slot receivers this year?

Is it the same person who is now in charge of outside WR only?

lets do a quick tally on how that is going...

5 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Do all of the insiders really know who is in charge of recruiting whom or is this all recycled info from the 9.95ers.  We got Woodward and Eagles last year and we are in it for Wright and Washington this year.  Why all the fucking pussy rubbing?  aggy has some real tuff,  real stuff like Kam Brown.  What the fuck do I know.  

36 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

No, that was exactly part of what I was saying above, really. We picked up Woodard as part of a fucking inner loop cabal of recruits in Houston. Moore was a life long fan begging for two years to be offered. Guys like Eagles wind up at Texas damn near every year if we have any signs of life. Everything else done was a fuckup or a waste.

Mehringer is a worthless piece of shit as a college football coach and recruiter. Herman tried to dump him but his bro lacks the bro-ness with anyone else to find a soft place to land, so we get to watch him fuck up another cycle. This is a fucking prick who shits on Collin Johnson regularly on the practice field and to recruits and their parents. Fuck him and anyone defending his fucking ass. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 2