Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

NSIAP, but why is Oregon rated #5, ahead of OU at #6 and Texas at #9?  All have 22 committed/signed:

UO  90.97  1-5* 11-4* 10-3*

OUsucks  91.13  2-5* 12-4* 8-3*

Texas!  90.90  0-5* 13-4* 9-3*

I know there are Brownie points for 5* players, but OU has 2 and both Texas and OU have more 4* players.

Regardless of the answer, this is one reason why I don’t worry too much about ranking as long as needs are being met.  

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
can’t spell

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Would appreciate anyone that can post the depth charts for next year by position. Would be good to review the current state in prep for nsd2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously very preliminary, because there's going to be attrition. For DT/DE, WR, and C/OG/OT, and generally the freshmen I had to make some guesses:

QB: Buechele (RS Jr), Ehlinger (Jr), Rising (RS Fr), C. Thompson (RS Fr), R. Johnson (Fr)

RB: K. Johnson (RS Sr), Porter (RS Jr), Young (Jr), Houston (RS Sr), Porter (RS So), Ingram (So), D. Brown (Fr)

OT: Urquidez (RS Jr), Kerstetter (Jr), Cosmi (RS So), C. Jones (RS Fr), R. Moore (RS Fr), T. Johnson (Fr)

OG: Okafor (RS Jr), Imade (RS Jr), Hudson (RS Jr), Angilau (RS Fr), Ghirmai (RS Fr)

Center: Shackelford (Sr)

XWR: Collin Johnson (Sr), Pouncey (RS So), Eagles (So), Washington (Fr)

HWR: LJH (Sr), J. Moore (So), Whittington (Fr), Smith (Fr)

ZWR: Burt (RS Sr), Devin Duvernay (Sr), Woodard (RS Fr), Lewis (Fr)

TE: Brewer (Jr), Leitao (RS So), Cummins (RS So), Epps (RS Fr), Liebrock (Fr), Wiley (Fr)

DE: Roach (Sr), Bimage (Jr), Graham (Jr), J. Jones (Jr), Carson (RS Fr), Warren (Fr), Mpagi (Fr), Sweat (Fr)

DT: Chisholm (RS Sr), Christmas (Sr), Wilbon (Sr), Coburn (RS Fr), Ojomo (RS Fr)

BLB: McCulloch (Sr), Vaughns (RS Fr), Ossai (RS Fr)

RLB: Townsend (RS Jr), Caleb Johnson (RS So), Overshown (So), Gbenda (Fr), Tillman (Fr)

MLB: Boyd (RS Jr), Adeoye (RS Fr),  Floyd (Fr)

CB: Donovan Duvernay (RS Jr), Boyce (RS So), Cook (So), Green (So), Watson (Fr), Caldwell (Fr)

Nickel: J. Thompson (Jr), Jamison (So)

S: B. Jones (Sr), C. Brown (RS Jr), Estell (RS So), Foster (So), Sterns (So), Adimora (Fr), Owens (Fr)

K: Rowland (RS Sr), Dicker (Fr)

P: Bujcevski (So)

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 4

Obviously very preliminary, because there's going to be attrition. For DT/DE, WR, and C/OG/OT, and generally the freshmen I had to make some guesses:
QB: Buechele (RS Jr), Ehlinger (Jr), Rising (RS Fr), C. Thompson (RS Fr), R. Johnson (Fr)
RB: K. Johnson (RS Sr), Porter (RS Jr), Young (Jr), Houston (RS Sr), Porter (RS So), Ingram (So), D. Brown (Fr)
OT: Urquidez (RS Jr), Kerstetter (Jr), Cosmi (RS So), C. Jones (RS Fr), R. Moore (RS Fr), T. Johnson (Fr)
OG: Okafor (RS Jr), Imade (RS Jr), Hudson (RS Jr), Angilau (RS Fr), Ghirmai (RS Fr)
TE: Brewer (Jr), Leitao (RS So), Cummins (RS So), Epps (RS Fr), Liebrock (Fr), Wiley (Fr)
DE: Roach (Sr), Bimage (Jr), Graham (Jr), J. Jones (Jr), Carson (RS Fr), Warren (Fr), Mpagi (Fr), Sweat (Fr)
DT: Chisholm (RS Sr), Christmas (Sr), Wilbon (Sr), Coburn (RS Fr), Ojomo (RS Fr)
RLB: Townsend (RS Jr), Caleb Johnson (RS So), Overshown (So), Gbenda (Fr), Tillman (Fr)
CB: Donovan Duvernay (RS Jr), Boyce (RS So), Cook (So), Green (So), Watson (Fr), Caldwell (Fr)
S: B. Jones (Sr), C. Brown (RS Jr), Estell (RS So), Foster (So), Sterns (So), Adimora (Fr), Owens (Fr)

We have some depth for the first time since....2009/10? Center and guard are most worrisome, along with RB, which is why we should see grad transfer at those positions. A little concerned about DT and CB but less so than OL and RB obviously. This roster is close to competing for a playoff spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

NSIAP, but why is Oregon rated #5, ahead of OU at #6 and Texas at #9?  All have 22 committed/signed:

UO  90.97  1-5* 11-4* 10-3*

OUsucks  91.13  2-5* 12-4* 8-3*

Texas!  90.90  0-5* 13-4* 9-3*

I know there are Brownie points for 5* players, but OU has 2 and both Texas and OU have more 4* players.

Regardless of the answer, this is one reason why I don’t worry too much about ranking as long as needs are being met.  

Players at the top of the class are weighted more, and they have Thibodeaux

Another strategy to RB recruiting, if we simply won’t play the SEC payment game is to figure out who Northwestern and San Diego St are targeting every year. 

It kind of saddens me that we were not willing to pay for Sanders but thought we could sign him straight up. Either bust out the duffel bags or stay away. I’m fine with either I just don’t like wasting our time. 

• Fuck You 1

Another strategy to RB recruiting, if we simply won’t play the SEC payment game is to figure out who Northwestern and San Diego St are targeting every year. 
It kind of saddens me that we were not willing to pay for Sanders but thought we could sign him straight up. Either bust out the duffel bags or stay away. I’m fine with either I just don’t like wasting our time. 

FWIW Northwestern is one of the teams that recently started following That RB Carrington is following - Micah Kelly.

No one is down on Derrian. Most of us understand we will need at least 3 RB's throughout the season and we are not sure what we have, no one returning has proven consistent success. Plus we all expected Drayton to be what Beck has proven to be on the trail.

Edited by Goodman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It saddened me as well. Sanders showed every sign and sent every signal that he wasn’t just going to sign with whoever sold him on their school. He was going to sign with whoever bought him to their school. Until like a week ago, he’d only applied to Bama. 

Thibodeaux was straight being paid to make visits and didn’t speak to anyone who didn’t put money up first. You’d like to see all of the dirty recruitments go like that, because then the naïveté is removed and schools like Texas can either consciously choose to aggressively participate or avoid wasting their time. Bama isn’t going to win over every recruit for sale, but if they’re paying and you’re not, well, um, the guy for sale is never coming to your school. 

4 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Brown will be a better Watson next season IMO, just not as many touches. I could see him being a real stud for Texas. 

one season doesn't make Ingram injury prone but he definitely was limited a lot.  you never know, especially at RB.  Brown has a good offer list and we seem to do pretty well with kids named Brown..

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My musings on the roster going forward:

The QB room is in better shape than it's been in a long, long time. Obviously, I don't think we're going to hold 5 QBs on the roster by the time September 2019 rolls around. Hell, I'd be surprised if we had that many by the time we reach spring ball. The three I'm most interested in keeping around are Sam, Rising, and Roschon.

The RB depth chart is deceiving in numbers. We have at most three P5-caliber backs right now, and only one I'd feel comfortable rolling out as the starter for Game 1. We need another, and if we can grab a grad transfer on top of that, do it.

The OT room is better than it's been talent-wise but there's a steep drop-off in game readiness from Kerstetter to Jones/Moore. Urquidez should not be considered a realistic option barring a miracle. The staff needs to find a third option somewhere and/or work like hell to get Tyler Johnson ready to play at some point in the 2019 season. I'm afraid we're going to waste another season of Okafor's career making him the 3rd tackle because we have nobody else. Maybe Angilau will figure out pass protection and become that guy, who knows.

We have some serious athletic upside at guard (especially if Hudson can play), but little in the way of experience. A grad transfer would be good to have. Grandy's medical retirement is unfortunate here because a full 1.5 years of development in the system could have produced another viable option.

Center is scary, again, and this time we won't have Rodriguez to fill in if Shack goes down. E-Rod might be the most underrated loss from this year's squad. Kerstetter needs to be cross-trained, and we need to find third guy. I wonder if Herman was sincere in saying that Tyler can play all three OL positions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Josh Moore passed up at HWR at some point in the 2019 season and moved to Z. I think he's a player, but I'm extremely high on Whittington and Smith.

If Collin Johnson leaves, does Epps play XWR for another season? Hell, will Epps be bulked up enough to play TE next season regardless?

For all I've been saying about Sweat being a DT, I do think he starts out his career at 4i. Similarly, I wonder if Mpagi starts out his career playing BLB on the scout team.

I like how the staff used Roach as a DT on passing downs late last season, and I could see them doing it with Graham as well.

A lot of the LBers are interchangeable right now. I could see Floyd starting at Rover, and Caleb at Mac. I could also see the staff giving McCulloch a shot at one of the ILB positions, though that doesn't fill me with confidence. Tillman might be the most intriguing prospect of the bunch. I continue to be skeptical of Dele's ability to be a three-down linebacker in the Big 12. Boyd and Townsend are gone, most likely. A grad transfer for depth would be useful, but with the infusion of talent might be hard to get.

Outside corner is talented but shallow as fuck. Again, in a perfect world we find a grad transfer to bridge the experience gap, but what older player is going to look at a roster with 3-4 top 200 talents and say "I have a great shot at starting at Texas"?

Nickel continues to vex me, in part because of what our staff asks of the position. I think both Thompson and Jamison have traits that make them good candidates, but not comprehensively so. I really hope they can figure it out, because I am somewhat concerned that Jamison could become an orphaned talent without a clear position to play.

That safety room is fun. Would be nice if we could keep Chris Brown around as quality depth, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

It would be nice to find competition for The Punter among our walk-on ranks, if there are any.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

whose time?  your time?  not our time.  get a grip you fragile nitwit. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve been stating, on this thread, for months, that Sanders is going to Bama. When I don’t know something, I say so. When I know something, and offer it up here, guys like you and ztejas should shut the fuck up, lest you show the rest of this board your continued ignorance. 

I said nothing of a bribe. You framing it that way shows us exactly how little you understand of any of this. Outside of the occasional Thibodeaux-type deals, this isn’t the fucking 80’s at SMU and the rest of us know that. The Sanders family will make 6 figures a year over this signing without a single “bribe” ever taking place. 

Wtf?  Everyone that has been casually following recruiting has known from day one that Sanders was going to Alabama. And now this ctj fellow (who seems unaware of the meaning of the term bribe) is trying to pass this off as some insider knowledge that he dropped on the masses months ago?  Sheesh. 

USC Class Rank at #23

Pretty underwhelming. I wonder if that would affect someone like Bru? I know we are bummed with the result and what could have been, but #9 is still damn good.

Hell, OU is barely better than us and they have had two CFB playoff appearances and back to back heismans (this hurt to type).

Just now, CravenTaters said:

USC Class Rank at #23

Pretty underwhelming. I wonder if that would affect someone like Bru? I know we are bummed with the result and what could have been, but #9 is still damn good.

Hell, OU is barely better than us and they have had two CFB playoff appearances and back to back heismans (this hurt to type).

Even with Clay Mehlton at the helm, USC always closes strong.

8 minutes ago, bob in houston said:

I split off ztejas and earl of texas to antother thread.

feel free to report any posts from other people that showed up today and I'll move those over to that thread

ztejas and earl of texas, there is a thread if you want to continue in the recruting forum. don't post in this thread

Image result for quarantine gifs

Bob keeping the thread safe and shit free.

Edited by Not a Sock