Academy of the Over-Rated

Asithappens

8 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I remember taking a dump on a Colorado ski trip one time back in the 80s and there on the bathroom stall was the following poem: "Here I sit, my buns a flexin', giving birth to another Texan."

My 14 year old self thought that was pretty damn hilarious (and a little insulting).

The best funny stuff usually is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lateshow said:

You realize you're posting on a message board comprised mainly of Texans right?

Yes, and I think it's a pretty stupid thing in Texas too. But at least in Texas there are people that greet transplants with things to the effect of "Glad you finally made it God's country, what took you so long?" I've never heard anyone born in Colorado welcome anyone from out of state. It's weird.

20 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah but what do hawaiians think about transplants?

"We grew here, you flew here."

Hawaiians aren't super keen on it either, but I cut them some slack since they were doing fine as a sovereign nation until American business and military interests decided to take them over. Plus the average time spent in Hawaii for transplants is about 7 years, so even irritating transplants like me don't tend to stay too long.

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

"We grew here, you flew here."

Hawaiians aren't super keen on it either, but I cut them some slack since they were doing fine as a sovereign nation until American business and military interests decided to take them over. Plus the average time spent in Hawaii for transplants is about 7 years, so even irritating transplants like me don't tend to stay too long.

haole!

Whataburger

Chick Fil A

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Foo Fighters

Grateful Dead

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

Blazing Saddles
Nirvana
Chuck Norris
Walking Dead
Bruce Springsteen
A Christmas Story
Guns N Roses
Pantera
Bacon
Texas State Fair
Ranch dressing
Fletcher's Corn Dogs
Caddyshack
Star Wars

On 2/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, Art Vandelay said:

I remember taking a dump on a Colorado ski trip one time back in the 80s and there on the bathroom stall was the following poem: "Here I sit, my buns a flexin', giving birth to another Texan."

My 14 year old self thought that was pretty damn hilarious (and a little insulting).

Those who write upon these walls

Roll their shit into little balls

Those who read these words of wit

Eat those little balls of shit

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

New Orleans

yep

On 1/25/2019 at 9:45 AM, ulukinatme said:

Dave Matthews

Amy Schumer

yep

On 1/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, DigglerontheHoof said:

SEC

yep yep yep

On 1/28/2019 at 11:56 AM, Whatever said:

Apple Inc. products

sheep herders

On 1/28/2019 at 2:22 PM, Bat Guano said:

The Beatles

Never bought an album, never thought that much of them really.  Overrated in my mind

On 1/29/2019 at 12:41 PM, honolulu horn said:

"Colorado is underrated."

Not if you talk to people who were born and raised in Colorado. Good Lord those people are insufferable.

and ugly too, if you've ever met a beautiful woman from Colorado, she probably wasn't born there.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Blue Blood football programs that haven't done shit in over 20 years (you know who they are)

Better to be a has been than a never was.

On 1/31/2019 at 8:55 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

The Royal Family

these fucking people.  The Kardashians of their time.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah I used To ski in jeans and boot gaters.  

Apparently that's a big no no and makes you the subject of ridicule and scorn.

I still fucking do it, fuck them.  Last time I rode up the lift with some Texans, they thought it was fucking great.

11 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Whataburger

Aaron Rodgers

The rest of your list sucks Vic, but I do agree with these 2.

7 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

that's exactly why I hate myself a little when I find I agree with him

If we're being honest, all of us have some overlap with that list. I've always hated the Greatful Dead, never understood how Walking Dead got past pilot, never watched more than 90 seconds of "Christmas Story" and the only thing I ever enjoyed from Chuck Norris was his cameo in Dodgeball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If we're being honest, all of us have some overlap with that list. I've always hated the Greatful Dead, never understood how Walking Dead got past pilot, never watched more than 90 seconds of "Christmas Story" and the only thing I ever enjoyed from Chuck Norris was his cameo in Dodgeball.

You unconscionable bastard !!!!!!

31 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Chick-Fil-A

The Band

LSU

Willie Nelson

Keto 

Craft Beer

Meghan Markle

Rap (After 1995)

Agree on craft beer. Well more so the people who drink it who feel the need to be beer snobs and let me know exactly what's in every beer they are drinking. I enjoy having craft beers but I don't care to talk about the beer itself. My go to beers are Corona, Modelo, DosXX and Shiner. Simple. 

Now talking about scotch and bourbon, that interests me.

Also agree on Willie Nelson. I enjoy maybe 2 songs from him but that's it. He grew up in my mom's hometown and I think went to school with her oldest brother. I hear he's real chill to hang around but yeah, his music is pretty dull.

Agree completely on Chick Fil A. Service is top notch and speedy but don't see the big deal about a plain jane chicken sandwich.

Disagree about rap after 1995 but I can see why people have that opinion. Some great albums were released the remainder of the 1990s and the 2000s. My uncle grew up listening to rap. NWA and all that. I think he stopped in the early to mid 90s.

52 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Chick-Fil-A

The Band

LSU

Willie Nelson

Keto 

Craft Beer

Meghan Markle

Rap (After 1995)

Craft beer is over rated ?  It's helping to fuel economies across America, with new avenues of venues, gathering spots, new brews, armies of food trucks, restaurants, dining out culture, hanging out culture, community spirit in some cases, all that and more, with a new found gusto.   I'm gettin a little dusty just thinking about it, and my first love is bourbon.

There are for sure some shitty craft beers out there, and there are a shit load of them, but the good ones, and there's more of a shit load of those as well.  The industry as a whole definitely isn't over rated either, course that's just a personal opinion, but I think local/craft beer could become to America what local wine is to all of the thousands and thousands of little and large European towns across that continent.

Not gonna neg you on Chick fil a or Willie Nelson, but a hearty fuck that noise as well. 

21 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also agree on Willie Nelson. I enjoy maybe 2 songs from him but that's it. He grew up in my mom's hometown and I think went to school with her oldest brother. I hear he's real chill to hang around but yeah, his music is pretty dull.

Not unless he's high. He's a wound up, short-on-patience dick otherwise. Just ask him or people that know him well.

22 hours ago, ulukinatme said:

Somebody obviously forgot about Dre.  The Chronic 2001 was the last rap album I listened to.

FTFY

3 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

He's a wound up, short-on-patience dick otherwise.

So he's a famous musician. 

Homeslice

Day drinking

Farmer's Markets

Phil Jackson

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Not unless he's high. He's a wound up, short-on-patience dick otherwise. Just ask him or people that know him well.

Yeah I guess he was high when the people I knew hung around him. I have never met the man personally and honestly don't care to. He doesn't do anything for me and I don't celebrate his catalog of music.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So he's a famous musician. 

I don't think that changed his temperament or iff anything the need to be accommodating to further his career might have taught him to be a little more tolerant of other people. He's sort tempered and sharp tongued by nature.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Whataburger

Chick Fil A

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Foo Fighters

Grateful Dead

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

Blazing Saddles
Nirvana
Chuck Norris
Walking Dead
Bruce Springsteen
A Christmas Story
Guns N Roses
Pantera
Bacon
Texas State Fair
Ranch dressing
Fletcher's Corn Dogs
Caddyshack
Star Wars

Most of these i can see, but not the bolded and especially bacon?  Come the fuck on man!  You have to see the fuckin irony there.  At its finest! 

On 2/2/2019 at 10:05 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Whataburger

Chick Fil A

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Foo Fighters

Grateful Dead

Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees

Blazing Saddles
Nirvana
Chuck Norris
Walking Dead
Bruce Springsteen
A Christmas Story
Guns N Roses
Pantera
Bacon
Texas State Fair
Ranch dressing
Fletcher's Corn Dogs
Caddyshack
Star Wars

I defy you to name a food that bacon doesn't go with. Just one.

I won't be waiting; there is none. Bacon goes with everything. Thus it is not possible for bacon to be overrated.

On 2/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, Art Vandelay said:

I remember seeing that wall poem in Texas a few times, but it was about our neighbor to the south.

OK, the only one I'm really serious about is the Beatles. They have maybe 2 or 3 good songs. Most of their early stuff is ear-wormy, inane bourgeois pop, which morphed into pretentious self-indulgent sludge after they started doing more drugs. Maybe this should go in the Unpopular Opinions thread....

The Beatles only had two or three good songs?! Jesus H, ok let us all know what bands you like. I want to know what a regarded person would listen to

Just now, Mileslong said:

I’m trying to get all the horrible opinions out of head so I can post the definitive list: these are undisputed:

Dave Matthews Band
Starbucks
Hip Hop
Social Media
Reality TV

Tattoos
Sushi

Kardashians
All pop divas except Madonna
All Fast and Furious movies 
Soccer
Fortnite

You go too far sir.....I stand by these 3, and gimme Diana Ross over Madonna most days.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:41 PM, Baboontyme said:

music

On 1/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, honolulu horn said:

They had more influence than any other musicians in the 20th century...

This is where the overrated claim has merit. As great and important as they were, they are still overrated. In terms of depth and breadth of influence as well as the more subjective artistic achievement, I’d put a handful of the Great American Songbook writers (Rogers and Hart, Rogers and Hammerstein) ahead of Lennon/McCartney. If we look at 20th century influence on the present day, I’d probably put a few hip hop pioneers ahead of them as well. 

“Influence” is a sticky word as well. Are we limiting ourselves to popular idioms? Louis Armstrong developed and mastered much of the musical vocabulary that jazz musicians are still wrestling with. Bird and Diz brought jazz to new artistic heights while simultaneously killing its popularity (while also breathing new life into the Great American Songbook). Miles Davis reinvented and changed the direction of jazz every decade or so. Arnold Schoenberg inspired eye rolls from audiences and lots of technical prose from academics, but also put his fingerprint on almost every movie score of the last 50+ years. If influence is just a numbers game, then I guess it’s Max Martin as our new king, but I think there’s something more. 

That’s not to say that Lennon/McCartney weren’t important and great. It’s just that they weren’t as great and important as the Paul Bunyan story we usually get. This overstated position is a product of the cultural narcissism of the Boomers and short-sighted musical/historical thinking.

Edited by Mole

9 hours ago, Mole said:

This is where the overrated claim has merit. As great and important as they were, they are still overrated. In terms of depth and breadth of influence as well as the more subjective artistic achievement, I’d put a handful of the Great American Songbook writers (Rogers and Hart, Rogers and Hammerstein) ahead of Lennon/McCartney. If we look at 20th century influence on the present day, I’d probably put a few hip hop pioneers ahead of them as well. 

“Influence” is a sticky word as well. Are we limiting ourselves to popular idioms? Louis Armstrong developed and mastered much of the musical vocabulary that jazz musicians are still wrestling with. Bird and Diz brought jazz to new artistic heights while simultaneously killing its popularity (while also breathing new life into the Great American Songbook). Miles Davis reinvented and changed the direction of jazz every decade or so. Arnold Schoenberg inspired eye rolls from audiences and lots of technical prose from academics, but also put his fingerprint on almost every movie score of the last 50+ years. If influence is just a numbers game, then I guess it’s Max Martin as our new king, but I think there’s something more. 

That’s not to say that Lennon/McCartney weren’t important and great. It’s just that they weren’t as great and important as the Paul Bunyan story we usually get. This overstated position is a product of the cultural narcissism of the Boomers and short-sighted musical/historical thinking.

This might be the dumbest post in Internet history.

You sir are an idiot.

10 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I’m trying to get all the horrible opinions out of head so I can post the definitive list: these are undisputed:

Dave Matthews Band
Starbucks
Hip Hop
Social Media
Reality TV
Tattoos
Sushi
Kardashians
All pop divas except Madonna
All Fast and Furious movies
Soccer
Fortnite

Now this is a list I can get behind. Well done.

23 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Harley Davidson

Imagine Dragons

Tito's Vodka (I mean it's good, but not great imo)

Coca Cola

Dude it's vodka, a flavorless liquor, just how great can it be ?  Triple filter it, and it's basically the same the world over.  Over rated would be any vodka that costs more than about $25 a fifth.  

Coca Cola ?  What you been smoking brah ?!

• Like 1